McCarthy to D-Backs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

McCarthy to D-Backs

That's ok. Dempster is still available.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: McCarthy to D-Backs

Man.  That was all i wanted for X-Mas.  They got him on the cheap too.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Sox seem to be a bit slow pulling the trigger on SP - although there are still a few good ones out there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to traven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sox seem to be a bit slow pulling the trigger on SP - although there are still a few good ones out there.

[/QUOTE]

Problem is, eveyone worth spending mnoney on or trading for comes at a steep price.  McCarthy was the obne guy, in my estimation, that I thought might be a good value.  Sure enough, DBacks got him pretty cheap and 2 years.  Your Edwin jacksons and Anibal Sanchezes are not going to give signficantly more than Brandon would have given, but they are going cost much, much, more.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

But we have Sandy Rosario

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But we have Sandy Rosario

[/QUOTE]

touche!

If Edwin Jackson goes for much more, I will be mildly surprised since he is not worth it.  And I hope it won't be Ben who overpays for him.  As for Sanchez.  I think he is considerably better than Jackson or McCarthy.  He is just an injury risk.  Offer 5 and 15, with an injury clause.  He is the best out there.  He was the second best available out of the whole field of FA SP.  And he is as likely to be worth that, at least as much as any pitcher the Sox currently have or could hope to overpay for in prospects if they try to land a cheaper contract through trade. 

Sanchez may not take it, but that is about as much as I would offer.  And if he does not take it, then sign one or two Chien Ming Wangs of the FA pool, go to ST and cross your fingers.  Forget trying to trade for SP right now.  Maybe in July, if there is real hope of a playoff spot and one good prospect will get you a half year of top talent, with the hope of extending the pitcher at the end of the season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

If Sanchez will not sign for 5/15 or 16, what should Ben do with all the money not being spent?  Offer Hamilton 4/104 with automatic 5th year option for 30 million depending on certain milestones.  It may not bring the Sox a pennant, but they would be interesting to watch.  Right now...not so much.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I'm telling you - Dice k will be back.  That is how screwed up this organization is.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When's the last time there was a "plague" to be avoided?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I'm telling you all, ben has his sights set on Dempster. He is signing short term, old-timers, in the hope that our prospects will be ready to assume the position in 3 or 4 years.

Looks to me as though Ben is the one who has been "assuming the position", and I think he's beginning to like it!

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When's the last time there was a "plague" to be avoided?

There have been FA to avoid like the plague, every season. Here is the most recent list with the top disasters that Red Sox fans and/or managemnt coveted:

Grienke 2013

Tie: Pujols, Wastefield, 2012

Crawbust 2011

There are others, but I'm not going to repeat them for the dim wits on this Board.

[/QUOTE]

What kind of person enjoys surrounding himself with "dim wits"?

16. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts