McCuthen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Aussie-Matt. Show Aussie-Matt's posts

McCuthen

What would it take to pry this bloke from the Bucs? The cost conscious team from Pittsburgh way be willing to trade him before he gets very expensive.

JBJ

Owens

Cecchini?

you guys know more than I about our minor league depth but I'd be curious to know if anyone thinks this could be a possibility?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: McCuthen

Dude signed a team-friendly 6 year deal, 51 mil through 2018.  He's not going anywhere.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Aussie-Matt. Show Aussie-Matt's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Dude signed a team-friendly 6 year deal, 51 mil through 2018.  He's not going anywhere.

Well there you go, that puts an end to my wishful thinking haha!

time to turn our attention to Puig then! ��

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

teams that are winning do not trade their best player. Especially one as historically bad as the Pirates of the last 20 years.

Some say a storm is coming, Some say the end is near.

Some think it's all so hazy, I think it's all so clear.

Some say they have the answers, some say they know the truth.

Some people live in question, some people have no clue.

If there was no tomorrow, if there was just today.

would you make different choices? or would you stay the same?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Since the advent of revenue sharing aka corporate welfare, big market teams can no longer use the small markets clubs as an extension of their farm system. Moneys that now allow low revenue producing clubs the ability to tie up their young star power players to long term deals buying out a couple of their free agent years in return for long term security.

McCutchen ain't goin anywhere in the near term but could become available in 2017 at the ripe old age of 31 as he nears free agency....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

Since the advent of revenue sharing aka corporate welfare, big market teams can no longer use the small markets clubs as an extension of their farm system. Moneys that now allow low revenue producing clubs the ability to tie up their young star power players to long term deals buying out a couple of their free agent years in return for long term security.

McCutchen ain't goin anywhere in the near term but could become available in 2017 at the ripe old age of 31 as he nears free agency....

that's a good thing,  right BT

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Seems to me it would be easier to just sign Ellsbury.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

[QUOTE]

that's a good thing,  right BT

[/QUOTE]

Zac,

I agree it is and might well be the single greatest accomplishment of Selig's tenure. Who recognized the need to share the wealth for the good of all franchise values. Though he fell short of getting all of the owners to buy into moving closer to the NFL model where all revenues are shared which was his goal entering the negoitiations he did move the dial and the results are that the small revenue teams now have operating capital to use to invest in player development. 

If not for the stain of Peds clouding his otherwise great job he could've gone down as the greatest commish in the games history...

So tell me again how a couple of libratarians find themselves in a conversation supporting corporate welfare? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Zac,

I agree it is and might well be the single greatest accomplishment of Selig's tenure. Who recognized the need to share the wealth for the good of all franchise values. Though he fell short of getting all of the owners to buy into moving closer to the NFL model where all revenues are shared which was his goal entering the negoitiations he did move the dial and the results are that the small revenue teams now have operating capital to use to invest in player development. 

If not for the stain of Peds clouding his otherwise great job he could've gone down as the greatest commish in the games history...

So tell me again how a couple of libratarians find themselves in a conversation supporting corporate welfare? 

LOL BT

cheers

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

Let's examine this thread:

1. The OP saw a player he liked and wished the Sox would sign him

2. This same OP spelled the players name wrong

3. Prior to starting the thread, the OP did NO research to determine said players contract situation.

THREE STRIKES....YOU'RE OUT!

Then to make matters worse, the OP turns his attention to another player on a team with unlimited $'s would would never let him go.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Prying guys like that are pipe dreams. Teams are not giving up proven MLB talent that they can easily afford for young MiL players who have proved nothing. especially if its a very team friendly deal, see: Longoria, Puig, McCutchen, Kershaw and the such.

We have to develop our own talent and stop worrying about giving up the farm for someone elses. That is not going to happen. We have a great farm system and the money to fill in with a couple FA signings. The way MLB is set up nowadays, team are locking up their young talent before arbitration years and into their FA years.

Guys will be available that other tams cant afford. I think Price will be one of them. Those are the guys to concentrate on, not guys that are not realistic.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Sox had 10 people from the Front Office Scouting Jose Abreu Monday and Tuesday workout. From what I read, first pitch over Right Center wall.

1 Scout projected as .270 30+Hr, 100+ rbi guy, for what thats worth.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

He is only getting plaid 8.5 million a year that is crazy!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

Sox had 10 people from the Front Office Scouting Jose Abreu Monday and Tuesday workout. From what I read, first pitch over Right Center wall.

There is large risk with Cuban players. like established Japanese they cost a lot and unlike Japanese players you can't scout them for years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

People are correct that these teams will never trade their own best player at the same time he have a control contract like him or Longoria.  Same goes with Bruce, Votto, etc

Quit dreaming about bringing in these guys.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Even easier to give the job to Jackie Bradley Jr. and save the fortune that Ellsbury and Borass will be seeking. They can't allow themselves to fall into the trap of signing 30-something players long term. Didn't the salary dump to the Dodgers address this situation and position the Sox to be a contender again...quickly?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

There is large risk with Cuban players. like established Japanese they cost a lot and unlike Japanese players you can't scout them for years.

[/QUOTE]

Well, the lack of scouting is the fundamental problem with signing Cuban players, but, compared to Japanese players, the cost, all else being equal, is significantly less.  The Japanese league requires the blind bid just to negotiate.  Cost for Cuban acquisitions is much less.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Yes, it seems very easy prior to opening the envelope with Boras' desired numbers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to KRomine's comment:

Let's examine this thread:

1. The OP saw a player he liked and wished the Sox would sign him

2. This same OP spelled the players name wrong

3. Prior to starting the thread, the OP did NO research to determine said players contract situation.

THREE STRIKES....YOU'RE OUT!

Then to make matters worse, the OP turns his attention to another player on a team with unlimited $'s would would never let him go.

Dang K.  A little hard on him, no?  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I said I wanted Victorino on the team, I think it may have been 2010 or 2011, when someone started a thread about what player you would want on the Sox. I saw a game where he was playing and thought he was great. He wore a mic during the game and I thought he reminded me of the Idiots, and would be great for the team as well. I didn't even know if he was available or not. Just off the top of my head.

Nothing wrong with throwing things out into the universe. Ya never know what will/can happen. I would love to have McCutchen, don't ask me where I would put him or anything, but I would love to have him one day. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If the competition is too much or Abreu, the Sox might be better waiting to see who gets him and trying to pry their current 1B (assuming he is worthwhile).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

That corporate welfare statement isn't really accurate. There should be revenue sharing of local TV/Radio money.

If I own a team and I'm getting paid a lot of money from local TV and radio to broadcast the games, I don't make one penny if I don't have a team to play. The only way the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. make that money is that there are other teams to come in and play them.

So yes, the visiting teams deserve a cut of that revenue, just like they already get a cut of the gate receipts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to Aussie-Matt's comment:

What would it take to pry this bloke from the Bucs? The cost conscious team from Pittsburgh way be willing to trade him before he gets very expensive.

JBJ

Owens

Cecchini?

you guys know more than I about our minor league depth but I'd be curious to know if anyone thinks this could be a possibility?

He's 25, may win MVP and signed for many years. Why would they trade him? 

Dumb thread.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to Aussie-Matt's comment:

JBJ

Owens

Cecchini?

Spell his name right also.

Sections
Shortcuts