McDonald

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: McDonald

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate Reddick as a 9 or 9.5 as a fielder in RF. I'd rate DMac as a 1 to 1.5 in RF. I don't think DMac's better batting vs LHPs makes up the defensive differential.

I too wanted a trade deadline RF'er that hits lefties, but can field RF well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: McDonald:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: McDonald : That's kind of where the analysis falls down.  DMac has been hitting the ball better than Reddck recently, and he has a nice matchup.  Expitch wants Tito to start the better player, as does the rest of the RSN.  But right now, against lefties, isn't DMac the better player?
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    Reddick is the better player in the lineup, totally. He sagged for a while but has been hitting better lately. If Drew was healthy, he'd probably be back in right, in part for defense. Ditto Reddick. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate Reddick as a 9 or 9.5 as a fielder in RF. I'd rate DMac as a 1 to 1.5 in RF. I don't think DMac's better batting vs LHPs makes up the defensive differential. I too wanted a trade deadline RF'er that hits lefties, but can field RF well.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    There you go.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate Reddick as a 9 or 9.5 as a fielder in RF. I'd rate DMac as a 1 to 1.5 in RF. I don't think DMac's better batting vs LHPs makes up the defensive differential. I too wanted a trade deadline RF'er that hits lefties, but can field RF well.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

You would rate DMac as a !?  Under what criteria?  A one implies that every outfielder in baseball is better.  I know Matt Stairs retired but how would you rate him in right field?  Because obviously you can't give someone a 0.  There is no way that Dmac would be below a 4 or a 5 defensively.  Any scouting report on him mentions his excellent defensive range.  Although his jumps on the balls are at some point horrible it shows your bias to rate DMac a 1.

As to your second point, yes this is on Theo.  Neither Reddick or Dmac are what you would expect playing against lefties on a top caliber team.  While I am not fan of either of them I would still rather see DMac up there against a tough lefty then Reddick.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McDonald : You would rate DMac as a !?  Under what criteria?  A one implies that every outfielder in baseball is better.  Because obviously you can't give someone a 0. As to your second point, yes this is on Theo.  Neither Reddick or Dmac are what you would expect playing against lefties on a top caliber team.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

There's probably a reason for this that I don't know about, but it seems like we have drafted an awful lot of lefty OFers.

He couldn't anticipate both Drew and Kalsih missing almost the entire year, but it seems like a righty OFer is almost an afterthought.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: McDonald : There's probably a reason for this that I don't know about, but it seems like we have drafted an awful lot of lefty OFers. He couldn't anticipate both Drew and Kalsih missing almost the entire year, but it seems like a righty OFer is almost an afterthought.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

I agree he could not anticipate Drew and kalish going down.  But his righty bench of Cameron and Dmac have obviously not lived up to his expectations and I thought a right handed hitting outfielder with some experience would have been a nice pick up at the trading deadline even if it meant giving up a prospect.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Maybe during the season, when McDonald needs some playing time and Reddick is struggling, McDonald should start against a "tough lefty." But not, IMO, at this time of the season in Fenway.  Unlike Crawford, Reddick does not swoon when a lefty is pitching. More to the point, he is simply a better all-around ballplayer than McDonald. Though the disparity on defense may be less than Moon posits, it is still considerable, especially in right at Fenway.  One play out there could make a difference. 

Sections
Shortcuts