mclellan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

mclellan

this guy is the crew chief?! he didn't have a clue on where the strike zone was.about 20 total walks.they talk about fining beckett and papelbon for pitching to slw.how about fining this ah for not calling the game proprly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Re: mclellan

It was pretty bad.  Okay, admittedly, it was the worst I've ever witnessed.  The only saving grace was that he was pretty bad against both teams although it hurt the Sox more since Bedard was painting the corners near perfectly and getting punished as a result.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Maybe he needed some Dr Scholls

Mclellan.....not gellin'!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I actually thought McClellan was a good ump before last night, other than his annoying habit of taking an hour to signal ball or strike. Maybe he just had a bad night. I'll give him credit for one thing ... he was squeezing everyone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Didn't see the game, just a few replays from the 1st, from the few that I saw, Bedard made some quality pitches on the black and didn't get the call, but therefter made the adjustment and did a good job going 5 strong probably could've gone 6 had he not spent so many bullets in the first...

Every team has scouting reports on that games home plate ump zone, so going into it the picthers, catchers and hitters have an idea of what to expect. As a rule as long as they're consistant it's up to the hitters and pitchers to adjust (even though last I checked the plate doesn't move)...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Lincoln dod the right thing by firing Mclellan... he was a really bad general.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

He cost us a run the night before when Pedroia was clearly safe on the GDP, and missed the pickoff by Wake.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

I HAVE WATCHED MANY GAMES OVER THE YEARS, AND I
    UNDERSTAND THAT SOMETIMES UMPIRES MISS PITCHES,
    BUT WHAT MC CLELLAN DID TO BEDARD LAST NIGHT WAS
    CRIMINAL. THERE WERE SOME CLEAR STRIKES THAT HE
    JUST REFUSED TO CALL. BEDARD SHOWED A LOT OF SELF
    RESTRAINT. QUITE A FEW PITCHERS WOULD HAVE GOTTEN
    THEMSELVES TOSSED IF THEY SHOWED THEIR GUT REACTION.
    FRANCONA OUGHT TO SEND THE TAPES TO MLB OFFICIALS
    FOR A REVIEW OF THIS. I KNOW THAT TEAMS ARE NOT
    SUPPOSED TO QUESTION BALL AND STRIKE CALLS, BUT IT
    WAS CLEAR THAT HE WAS SQUEEZING BEDARD AND ON
    QUITE A FEW DECISIVE PITCHES, ONE OF WHICH COST US
    A RUN AND PUT A BASERUNNER ON. WHO DOES HE THINK
    HE IS ??? BEING THE CREW CHIEF DOESN'T MAKE HIM
    UNTOUCHABLE. HE SHOULD BE QUESTIONED ON THIS AND
    SUSPENDED IF HE CANNOT JUSTIFY HIS CALLS ON A VIDEO
    REVIEW. THERE WAS MORE THAN ONE INSTANCE WHERE HE
    IGNORED PITCHES RIGHT ON THE PLATE. ONLY LATER IN
    THE GAME DID HE CALM DOWN AND START BEING FAIR.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sev133. Show Sev133's posts

yea bedard looked really good....i was shocked at how many strikes that ump called balls.  Bedard was looking around as if to say "is anybody else seeing this?"  I was waiting for the catcher and/or manager to flip sh*t

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: mclellan:
    [QUOTE]It was pretty bad.  Okay, admittedly, it was the worst I've ever witnessed.  The only saving grace was that he was pretty bad against both teams although it hurt the Sox more since Bedard was painting the corners near perfectly and getting punished as a result.
    Posted by SleeStack1[/QUOTE]

Agree with all of you about the calls last night.  Maybe he was just having a bad night. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe he needed some Dr Scholls Mclellan.....not gellin'!
    Posted by SleeStack1[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha

Yeah he was pretty rough in the early goings, but he settled in and called a good game. He's as good ump, just had a hard time establishing consistency yesterday. Typical for some umpires, but not for him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Tim McCyankeeump sucks. He has always been a pro yankee umpire and thats just one of his consistantancies he also loves too push the buttons of players by continually getting the calls wrong to see if they will bite and argue with him so he can become the show and toss them from the game.He will make at least two bad calls against the Sox again in today's game if given the chance!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

Just for the record, his name is McClelland, and he called one of the worst ball/strike games I have ever witnessed. In earlier years, the viewers did not have the convenience of the "Amica Pitch Zone" to confirm our suspicions. Now, with the advances of technology, we can see how bad some of these guys are. Many may find this far fetched, but I would like to see baseball begin to totally move away from human umpires. Electronically, the balls/strikes can be tallied and without error. Additionally, electronics can be used to monitor calls at the bases. It is complex and would have to be tested in the minors for several years before it would be showcased in the big leagues, but watching the kind of incompetence we have come to expect from the "professional" umpires leads me to desire a technology based outcome. This is why many factories use robots in production, they are accurate. Baseball should investigate a similar approach. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Interesting how neither Tek nor Bedard siad anything even mild critical of the strike zone.  The ump has a history of squeezing the plate.  As long as he's doing it to both teams, then it really has no impact. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

they didnt say anything because they knew they would get tossed right away. Mclelland is notorious for tossing players extremely quickly. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

I think he actually has a good reputation as an ump.  I know he's been around a long time.  At least he was consistent.  It's better to have a small or big zone than to have the zone change from pitch to pitch.  Minn walked 9 guys so it definitely affected both teams.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Tim McCyankeeump sucks. He has always been a pro yankee umpire and thats just one of his consistantancies he also loves too push the buttons of players by continually getting the calls wrong to see if they will bite and argue with him so he can become the show and toss them from the game.He will make at least two bad calls against the Sox again in today's game if given the chance!!!
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

Dear Mr. Delusional/Yankee Paranoid;

He may have had a bad night, but McClelland (Sp) has graded higher than any other AL ump for several seasons; last yr, he was runner up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting how neither Tek nor Bedard siad anything even mild critical of the strike zone.  The ump has a history of squeezing the plate.  As long as he's doing it to both teams, then it really has no impact. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Bedard was saying nothing but I bet Tek was talking to him. Catchers talk to the umps all the time. As long as they face forward and speak "nicely" nothing will happen.
    I also know HP umps and catchers have an affinity for each other and the bumps the absorb just watch when either gets a foul ball that hurts they do everything they can to allow the other to get over it. Just the other night one ump got it flush in the mask and the catcher turned immediately and stopped him from falling over. Then the catcher walked slowly out to the mound to talk to the pitcher. Then made sure he was good to go.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

There are guys that are way worse IMO.

As others have noted the KZone was consistent in how he interpeted all night for both sides. The players won't ever complain when that is the case because they know KZone is an interpetation and so longs as it is consistent they work within that framework.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfanwest. Show soxfanwest's posts

[QUOTE]Just for the record, his name is McClelland, and he called one of the worst ball/strike games I have ever witnessed. In earlier years, the viewers did not have the convenience of the "Amica Pitch Zone" to confirm our suspicions. Now, with the advances of technology, we can see how bad some of these guys are. Many may find this far fetched, but I would like to see baseball begin to totally move away from human umpires. Electronically, the balls/strikes can be tallied and without error. Additionally, electronics can be used to monitor calls at the bases. It is complex and would have to be tested in the minors for several years before it would be showcased in the big leagues, but watching the kind of incompetence we have come to expect from the "professional" umpires leads me to desire a technology based outcome. This is why many factories use robots in production, they are accurate. Baseball should investigate a similar approach. 
    Posted by mjnmjn[/QUOTE]
    I couldn't disagree with you more. Did you actually read what you wrote. This is an imperfect game, played by imperfect people, officiated by imperfect people. You propose to take the human element out of it all together. I'm surprised you don't suggest all players batting under .300 be replaced by a robot.
    How many times have we seen close plays at first base and our first instinct is yell the guy was safe only to have the replay show that these guys you want to replace with robots get it right 98 to 99 percent of the time.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Not me, I want the human element.... 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: mclellan : Steve, don't come on a Red Sox board, as a Yankee fan, even though you refuse to identify yourself, and start calling posters names because you're not mature enough to handle a conversation any other way. Up until your post, this thread just seemed like a discussion. Yankee fans have always supported umpires as umpires have always supported the Yankees. After all, it's better for baseball when the Yankees are in it, and, interestly enough, they are all based in New York. And those calls were so bad, the criticism was across the board here. If you can't respect the posters here, maybe this isn't the place for you.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

Kim,

I think most know that I'm a Yankee fan; if some don't get that right away, I apologize, it wasn't intentional. Ditto for the name calling on that particular post, although I've been called much worse. Your poster respect comment is like the pot calling the kettle; maybe this isn't the place for you. As far as your umpire conspiracy theories are concerned, if these bizarre fantasies make you feel better, I'm glad. Should somehow the Yankees win, I'm sure we'll hear more from you on this topic.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

and whats the difference, Kim, when you go on one of your conspiracy theory RANTS on someones post? your just as much to blame with your pathetic policing and hijacking of threads on this board to attack posters who you deem not worthy of posting on a public board..You even attacked me, a 35 yr fan of this team, because I was having friendly conversation with a yankee fan...Get over yourself....