MEA CULPA/CONFESSIONAL THREAD

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

MEA CULPA/CONFESSIONAL THREAD

Now is the time for all BDC chatters to come forward and cleanse their souls and take responsibility for their sins....I will go first-

Forgive me nation for I have sinned...

I swallowed the hype and predicted a 99 win season....even in the darkest days of September I was still predicting a 5 game cushion in the wild card race. I suspended my natural Red Sox inclinations built up from many years of pre-2004 paranoia and went with my heart. I will learn from my mistakes....

I better see Roy, JoeyB, Pike, Moon, Harness and all the other flower throwers on this thread atoning for their sins...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: MEA CULPA/CONFESSIONAL THREAD

Hey geo ...
    I had high expectations, but not off the charts. All this 110-win talk, I knew, was idiotic because the team still have issues coming into the season. Right field, shortstop (though Scutaro was one of the few who showed up in September), and four major players coming back from injury-plagued seasons. Not to mention Paps coming off his worst year. So while we had the two huge additions, I recognized there were serious question marks. And I never, not for a second, counted the Yankees out. I will admit I didn't think the Rays would be a factor.
    So there you have it ...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Mea Culpa, Geo ...

I didn't think of the 100+ season ... but I sure believed in the 97-99 range

But following up in my Mea Maxima Culpa Thread ...

Sox were up 3-2, rain delay came; Yanquis up 7-0 .... already an hour late at the donut shop, so I felt fairly safe leaving it in the hands of the players and weather  .....

Then screamed my head off at the announcer on the news broadacst on my music channel at 2 AM ....  Good thing there was DOWN POUR OUTSIDE or I'd have woken up my neighbors for a block or two ....

I took my break then and just put my head back together ....   Man, I thought the Rays were cooked.

Worst case, play off ... not comeback for the Rays.

I have to give em a nod, though ...

Geo ... Next year, your wish comes true, ok?

The one where we beat the Yanquis, I mean.  I don't want to say anything about what you were thinking about that redhead ....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I defended Francona's managing style all year because of past success.  The team quit on him in September. Obviously the way he managed did not work this year.  I get they had a lot of injuries but the team just quit.

I was wrong. Ha.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

IM OK AND WILL BE LOOKING FORWARD TO "CHANGE" THAT NEED TO COME.......  AS DAD WOULD SAY........ "SON, YOUR ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR LAST GAME" !!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

When Pap had 1 out in the 9th and the Yankees had men on the corners with 0 out I truly believed that even after September, even after the 7-0 lead had vanished that it was all going to work out.  And then in minutes it didn't.

We have all been reminded what it used to mean to be a Red Sox fan. Collapse, choke, finding excruciating ways to lose...... These are our roots.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: MEA CULPA/CONFESSIONAL THREAD:
    [QUOTE]When Pap had 1 out in the 9th and the Yankees had men on the corners with 0 out I truly believed that even after September, even after the 7-0 lead had vanished that it was all going to work out.  And then in minutes it didn't. We have all been reminded what it used to mean to be a Red Sox fan. Collapse, choke, finding excruciating ways to lose...... These are our roots.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Ageed.  I was stunned when the Red sox won in 2004.  I had been a fan since 75 or so when I was 10 and I didn't think the Red Sox would win in my lifetime.  It felt odd when they did.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to MEA CULPA/CONFESSIONAL THREAD:
    [QUOTE]Now is the time for all BDC chatters to come forward and cleanse their souls and take responsibility for their sins....I will go first- Forgive me nation for I have sinned... I swallowed the hype and predicted a 99 win season....even in the darkest days of September I was still predicting a 5 game cushion in the wild card race. I suspended my natural Red Sox inclinations built up from many years of pre-2004 paranoia and went with my heart. I will learn from my mistakes.... I better see Roy, JoeyB, Pike, Moon, Harness and all the other flower throwers on this thread atoning for their sins...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

I have no sins to atone for. In my book it's not a sin to support and root for your team.

I never bought the hype that this was the best team ever. What I saw was talented team that could compete for a W.S. title, and that's what the team was. Through five months, despite some underachieving players, some evident flaws and some injuries, had the second-best record in baseball and was on pace to win about 100 games. Heck, all they had to do was play one game over or one game under .500 in September and they would have won 96 or 97 games.

I also never took it for granted that the Sox were a lock for the playoffs, even in August. I know my history, both Red Sox and baseball in general. I know anything can happen. That's why I wasn't panicking when the Sox were five games out in April and I wasn't popping champagne in August. Just because I wasn't whining every day on this board and I choose to stay upbeat, it doesn't mean I never allowed for the fact that anything can happen. 

Geo -- if you're such an expert on my posts, then you know I've always allowed for the fact that comebacks or collapses can happen and nothing is guaranteed.

I reject your premise that it's a sin to not predict a total meltdown by the entire pitching staff in September. And that's what it took to turn a 95- to 100-win team into a 90-win team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

It's my fault.  I switched chairs at a crucial junction of the game.

Actually, I blame CHB.  Whenever he predicts anything, it always turns out wrong. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

All year I've been predicting a Sox, Braves, WS. Instead I get two historical collaspes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

I was wrong.  I thought 95-98 wins was a foregone conclusion. The Baseball prospectus 99.6% rating of post season for the sox on September 3rd had me in denial that this was possible despite the 7-20 record down the stretch.  A few observations: Wakes's 200 win campaign cost us perhaps 6 wins, the 2-10 start is huge, the record head to head against Tampa also looms large and the excuse making by some, Gonzalez, is nothing any of us want to hear right now.  They blew it plain and simple and will have to live with it all winter.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Boston Herald seeks atonement, as evidenced by this graphic from this morning's newspaper:

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/2011_0929wrong_right_off_the_bat/

Was that really this morning's front page art the Herald?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

It's my fault.  I switched chairs at a crucial junction of the game. Actually, I blame CHB.  Whenever he predicts anything, it always turns out wrong. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Yup, the CHB strikes again.  What a d o u c h e that guy is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Georom4 - I hope you used some spices when you ate your hat this morning as you said you would last year if the 2011 AL East flag was not flying gently above Fenway.

Tongue out

Spices may have made it a bit more tasty.

You my friend have class!!!!!!!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

I wrote 90 to 92 wins after the 2 - 10 start, but I was dead wrong on Crawford.

I thought he would be awesome in LF even though I never saw it with my own eyes I read how great he was out there.  He was awful.  What happened to his glove?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to MEA CULPA/CONFESSIONAL THREAD : I have no sins to atone for. In my book it's not a sin to support and root for your team. I never bought the hype that this was the best team ever. What I saw was talented team that could compete for a W.S. title, and that's what the team was. Through five months, despite some underachieving players, some evident flaws and some injuries, had the second-best record in baseball and was on pace to win about 100 games. Heck, all they had to do was play one game over or one game under .500 in September and they would have won 96 or 97 games. I also never took it for granted that the Sox were a lock for the playoffs, even in August. I know my history, both Red Sox and baseball in general. I know anything can happen. That's why I wasn't panicking when the Sox were five games out in April and I wasn't popping champagne in August. Just because I wasn't whining every day on this board and I choose to stay upbeat, it doesn't mean I never allowed for the fact that anything can happen.  Geo -- if you're such an expert on my posts, then you know I've always allowed for the fact that comebacks or collapses can happen and nothing is guaranteed. I reject your premise that it's a sin to not predict a total meltdown by the entire pitching staff in September. And that's what it took to turn a 95- to 100-win team into a 90-win team.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

jeez roy - its not my style to dig up your past posts but i know you and your posts - you were the #1 advocate of the Theo/Tito party line....plus no one wants to hear you say you have nothing to confess when this thread says it all....cmon and be a man and fess up...and yes Jess I am scouring my spice cabinet as we speak...lol

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MEA CULPA/CONFESSIONAL THREAD : jeez roy - its not my style to dig up your past posts but i know you and your posts - you were the #1 advocate of the Theo/Tito party line....plus no one wants to hear you say you have nothing to confess when this thread says it all....cmon and be a man and fess up...and yes Jess I am scouring my spice cabinet as we speak...lol

Do you mind explaining what this (bold) means. I've posted numerous times on issues that I disagreed with -- Crawford signing, Lackey signing -- for example. That I don't constantly whine about every little thing makes the the No. 1 advocate. Geez -- get a grip.

You can have your selective memory for all I care, but you don't know me. 

And fess up? To what? That I rooted for my team all year. That I don't fall off the deep end at every sign of struggle. Nor do I go off the deep end when things are good. (See Bill 806 for those mood swings).

Yes, I predicted 96-98 wins and the playoffs, which they were on pace to for five months before a horrific September. That's a great sin? Please -- get over yourself.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

roy, get over myself??????? like maybe I should start a private room so i dont have to listen to anyone who I disagree with?

remember that experiment?

you sound like you are in deep denial   and i would be angry too if i carried as much water for our third place team/leaders as you did

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]roy, get over myself??????? like maybe I should start a private room so i dont have to listen to anyone who I disagree with? remember that experiment? you sound like you are in deep denial   and i would be angry too if i carried as much water for our third place team/leaders as you did

Wow, your posts are getting even more pathetic. What the he!! did I have to do with the private room. The need was to prevent the trolls from bumping up all the old threads, which I'm sure you must not have liked either. The mods solved that problem.

Other than that, I've never put anyone on ignore. I could care less who agrees with me or who disagrees with me. Unlike you it seems, my self worth doesn't depend on whether I'm "right" or "wrong" on some message board or if someone agrees with me or not.

You know -- posters like you amuse me. You can't have an honest discussionso you throw out terms like "I'm in denial" or that "I'm angry" and the best "carried water" -- generalities with no specific issues tied to them.

Hmm ... let's see, I don't start throwing people under bus at the first sign of trouble. I root for my team. I don't try to pass off opinions as facts, I try to back up by opinios with facts and I look for posters, whether or not I agree with them, where we can have a reasonable even spirited debate. But because not all my views agree with yours, that means I carry water for the team. Again -- get over yourself.

Hey -- I'm going to paint a couple of rooms in my house over the winter when the weather cools. Can you send me that broad brush you're painting with.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

my self worth doesn't depend on whether I'm "right" or "wrong" on some message board or if someone agrees with me or not.

I'm never wrong. Thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Roy have youve been drinking today????? I think you need to get some rest or something....we were all having fun with this thread and you come in whining you have nothing to apologize for....so if you dont because we know you are always right, get the f... off this thread and stop whining like a bi ch

enough of your nonsense and your bootlicking ways

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Forgive me posters for I have sinned.

I believed that the 2-10 start would be overcome by better play later in the season.

By the end of July I began to believe that the Sox were going to win 95+ games.

As late as early September I believed that the Sox were going to win the division.

At the same time I believed that the Sox couldn't possibly fall out of the WC slot.

I posted here that the Rays were out of it and the Sox had "put the AL East to bed" at one point.

I posted here that there was NO WAY the Sox would be sub .500 for September and that the Rays would morph into a .700 team.

I even secretly hoped that the Yankees would be in the position where the Sox are now - playing golf and wondering what happened. 

I was wrong.  (But I still feel justified in having had that hope.  :-)  )

Oh well, on to the Hot Stove and next season, and looking forward to a better time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]my self worth doesn't depend on whether I'm "right" or "wrong" on some message board or if someone agrees with me or not. I'm never wrong. Thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken. Roy have youve been drinking today????? I think you need to get some rest or something....we were all having fun with this thread and you come in whining you have nothing to apologize for....so if you dont because we know you are always right, get the f... off this thread and stop whining like a bi ch enough of your nonsense and your bootlicking ways

I'm sorry, but I didn't know this was a private thread. (Now who wants to start a private room?) I'll post on any damn thread I want to. If you don't like -- I really could care less. Now look at who can't handle someone disagreeing with you.

You say "we're all having a fun with this thread" yet you post the signature, which anyone with a brain knows is tongue in cheek, and use it like as if I mean it as a serious statement. You really scraping the bottom of the barrel, but I've come to expect nothing more from you.

But again thanks for letting me have another great laugh. I haven't laughed so much today as I have reading your drivel on this thread. You use the word whining to describe my post yet all you do is whine, complain and ridicule those who disagree with you and are quick with the name-calling.

Hmm... what will come first. The Sox win a World Series or Geo engage in an intelligent conversation?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

I stated that Crawford was a total joke contract and Red Sox needed a star young slugging Rh OF bat. I stated that the 160M plus nuke to kill an ant hill budget approach would win AL East if Beckett, Lester and Buch stayed off long DL and Lackey or DiceK were decent #4 league average type of performers. 

I stated after last winter that Inepstein should be fired at year end, regardless of playoff results.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

thanks softy for telling us you were right about everything....umm ellsbury maybe?????

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Ellsbury career averages, maybe????

Red Sox are wed to Crawford, not Ellsbury. I suggest you remember InEpstein and think twice before handing 142M after career year to the exact same kind of skillset.