Melancon and Mortensen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Melancon and Mortensen

So I feel badly for Melancon.  I do.

He turned it around when he came back up and did okay for a while.

But seriously.  Mortensen has a 1.82 ERA at Pawtucket and a 1.33 ERA with Boston this year.  The guy has been excellent.

It is one of the things that drives me crazy about this team at times.  Play your best players.  Start Morales, bring up Mortensen.  They may seem like little things but these are they types of things that affect culture.

Play the guys that deserve to play.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Melancon and Mortensen

Mortensen and Podsednik and Lavarnway (for the DH spot while Ortiz was on DL)
    not being here is disgusting. 

Morales not being the rotation, disgusting.

Melancon, Punto, and yes, Nava being on this roster---a joke

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

snake, it's unbelievable that Ben allowed BV to use Nava/Ciriaco (Ross too, but he should just be in RF) as the DH during this whole time that Ortiz has been out. It's just wrong, and I go back to the Lavarnway thing...He is a third catcher, but a DH. So you could actually DH with Shoppach and catch Salty or vice versa and that would be a better option than the TurnedToDust Twins--Nava and Ciriaco.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Agree to everything as a lot of us have been saying.Melancon, Sweeney and Punto should be gone, tryand move Aviles and bring up Mortensen, Lavarnway,Linares and Iglesias. Oh yeah, this team is clueless and they don't want to win.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The sad part is that the moves we were asking for were predictably right things to do, so it shouldn't have even come as a surprise that
    1. Morales took Lester's spot in the rotation
    2. Lester went to the DL with a fake injury (hell, they all do eventually)
    3. Mortenson took Melancon's spot in the pen
    4. Lavarnway called up on July 18 when Ortiz went on DL
    This is not rocket science. Instead, no DFA of Punto, no Nava to the minors, no Gomez even coming back up, but keeping Ciriaco to..NOT PLAY THE FIELD??? WHAT THE HECK...BUT TO DH?? 

Punto, who granted is terrible, was 3-for-8 lifetime v. Holland the other day and had a HR, don't you think that would be the person you insert at DH? Nope, Ciriaco again, and again...Enough of this nonsense. Someone upstairs stop the madness

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Melancon and Mortensen:
    The sad part is that the moves we were asking for were predictably right things to do, so it shouldn't have even come as a surprise that 1. Morales took Lester's spot in the rotation 2. Lester went to the DL with a fake injury (hell, they all do eventually) 3. Mortenson took Melancon's spot in the pen 4. Lavarnway called up on July 18 when Ortiz went on DL This is not rocket science. Instead, no DFA of Punto, no Nava to the minors, no Gomez even coming back up, but keeping Ciriaco to..NOT PLAY THE FIELD??? WHAT THE HECK...BUT TO DH??  Punto, who granted is terrible, was 3-for-8 lifetime v. Holland the other day and had a HR, don't you think that would be the person you insert at DH? Nope, Ciriaco again, and again...Enough of this nonsense. Someone upstairs stop the madness
    Posted by dannycater

It is insane that they have been DHing Nava and Ciriaco when they have Lava at AAA, and yes Morales has better stuff then anyone in the rotation except maybe Clay.

And again i don't know what more they need to do to bring up Mortensen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I could be wrong but I believe Ciriaco is now out of options and could not be sent down without potentialy losing him. It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to have that control us but it might have been a factor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Mortensen and Podsednik and Lavarnway (for the DH spot while Ortiz was on DL) not being here is disgusting.  Morales not being the rotation, disgusting. Melancon, Punto, and yes, Nava being on this roster---a joke
    Posted by dannycater

Mortonsen -- agree, should be here.

Posednik -- agree, should be here, but I don't think it's a big difference maker.

Lavarnway -- agree don't understand why they didn't bring him up. Would like to know the reason before I totally rip them. It might have to do with options on other guys, so you have to ask if you really want to lose them just for two weeks that Ortiz is out. But it did seem like a no-brainer to bring him up for a two-week trial at DH.

Melancon -- not necessarily a joke because he had been pitching well since coming back until his last appearance or two.

Punto -- can't get worked up over a UT guy. 

Nava -- I've said all along that yeah, he was going great to start and was a nice story but was going to plummet like he did in 2010. He ... OUCH!!! Hurt myself patting myself on the back.

Morales -- I'm probably in a minority here, but I wasn't bothered by the decision. Doubrant is going to reach his innings limit and when he does, Morales would be there to slide back into the rotation. I understand your view about DL'ing Lester, but teams usually ride it out when a top-of-the-rotation guy struggles. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to "Melancon and Mortensen":
    So I feel badly for Melancon.  I do. He turned it around when he came back up and did okay for a while. But seriously.  Mortensen has a 1.82 ERA at Pawtucket and a 1.33 ERA with Boston this year.  The guy has been excellent. It is one of the things that drives me crazy about this team at times.  Play your best players.  Start Morales, bring up Mortensen.  They may seem like little things but these are they types of things that affect culture. Play the guys that deserve to play. Posted by snakeoil123
    That's Ben making the personnel decisions. He decides who to call up and who to send down. I can't imagine BV agreeing with it either. I really think those too are oil and water and if the Sox don't turn it around soon, something is going to blow.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

we're 2 games under .500 after 100 games and we're making a big deal out of a middle reliever, a backup catcher and a ultility infielder....wow!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

we're 2 games under .500 after 100 games and we're making a big deal out of a middle reliever, a backup catcher and a ultility infielder....wow!
    Posted by Beantowne

Yeah because a middle reliever with an ERA of 9 versus one with an ERA of 1 isn't a big deal right?

I mean it's just an average of 8 more runs given up per 9 innings.  Who cares?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Ciriaco is leading team in batting. He is hardly the problem. The Sox problems go much deeper than that. It has been a long time since I have seen a Red Sox team that was so completely outclassed by the Yankees. We are not even competitive with them. The Yankees have a better player at nearly every position. A far better bench. And , much better pitching. Boston's starters have no chance against the Yankee lineup. This is a mismatch. It is embarrassing to see what has happened.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Ciriaco is leading team in batting. He is hardly the problem. The Sox problems go much deeper than that. It has been a long time since I have seen a Red Sox team that was so completely outclassed by the Yankees. We are not even competitive with them. The Yankees have a better player at nearly every position. A far better bench. And , much better pitching. Boston's starters have no chance against the Yankee lineup. This is a mismatch. It is embarrassing to see what has happened.
    Posted by dgalehouse

I like Ciriaco and no he isn't the problem.  I think the issue was more replacing Ortiz with Pedro and Nava as a DH, when Lava and Gomez are at Pawtucket.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Melancon and Mortensen : I like Ciriaco and no he isn't the problem.  I think the issue was more replacing Ortiz with Pedro and Nava as a DH, when Lava and Gomez are at Pawtucket.
    Posted by snakeoil123

I have no argument with that. I could not understand why Gomez was called up for one day, then sent back down when Pedroia was activated , while guys like Punto , Nava and Sweeney were kept.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Melancon and Mortensen : Yeah because a middle reliever with an ERA of 9 versus one with an ERA of 1 isn't a big deal right? I mean it's just an average of 8 more runs given up per 9 innings.  Who cares?
    Posted by snakeoil123

A middle reliever that does not pitch when the game is still in reach, is not a big deal. When said middle reliever is also a player that does factor into the immediate future of the team. Giving him a chance to get right when the outcome of the game in not at play is the prudent thing to do. It's not always about the moment...sometimes it's about longterm and if Melancon can find his way given his age and his contract status his value in the longterm far outwieghs his ERA in the short term....

FYI It also allows the manager to save the arms of others, that will be called apon to pitch in high leverage situations the follow day...

Lastly regarding Mortenson there's a reason he's still in AAA...It could be as simple as the Sox chosing to continuing his development and hand him the ball in the late innings in Pawtucket and having him pitch when the games are on the line...Thus saving his options and preventing his arbitration clock from starting sooner than nessasary...So when he's ready and no longer has anything left to prove in AAA. They can then reap the benefits of both his arbitration eligablity and it also buys them roster flexibility during the season....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Melancon and Mortensen : A middle reliever that does not pitch when the game is still in reach, is not a big deal. When said middle reliever is also a player that does factor into the immediate future of the team. Giving him a chance to get right when the outcome of the game in not at play is the prudent thing to do. It's not always about the moment...sometimes it's about longterm and if Melancon can find his way given his age and his contract status his value in the longterm far outwieghs his ERA in the short term.... FYI It also allows the manager to save the arms of others, that will be called apon to pitch in high leverage situations the follow day... Lastly regarding Mortenson there's a reason he's still in AAA...It could be as simple as the Sox chosing to continuing his development and hand him the ball in the late innings in Pawtucket and having him pitch when the games are on the line...Thus saving his options and preventing his arbitration clock from starting sooner than nessasary...So when he's ready and no longer has anything left to prove in AAA. They can then reap the benefits of both his arbitration eligablity and it also buys them roster flexibility during the season....
    Posted by Beantowne

See now all of a sudden you are talking baseball.  

Why didn't you post that the first time instead of mocking a thread because it was about a "middle reliever"?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Little things add up to big losses. It's the little things that affect lineups and affect pitching staffs. Explain why Ciriaco isn't good enough to play the middle infield with his range instead of "DH." As for Melancon, he did have a nice stretch upon his return to the Sox, but 3 of his last 4 appearances have been nothing short of horrible. He's done, and he had the worst start of a Sox reliever career I've ever seen...just a pathetic April of hell. He got back to the roster while Mortenson, whose delivered in all of his appearances, sits at Pawtucket.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Little things add up to big losses. It's the little things that affect lineups and affect pitching staffs. Explain why Ciriaco isn't good enough to play the middle infield with his range instead of "DH." As for Melancon, he did have a nice stretch upon his return to the Sox, but 3 of his last 4 appearances have been nothing short of horrible. He's done, and he had the worst start of a Sox reliever career I've ever seen...just a pathetic April of hell. He got back to the roster while Mortenson, whose delivered in all of his appearances, sits at Pawtucket.
    Posted by dannycater

My entire point is play your best 25.  Every day.  I know there are 40 man complications around that, but that is why Cherington gets paid millions.  To figure that out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Cherington (and LL) are to blame for this fiasco, I agree. His personel decisions, which still boggles this mind--people don't think much of the Podsednik snub but the timing of that one was just bad--to keep Nava and to keep Sweeney while a guy who was very productive and helping the team win some games didn't get to come back to the MLB roster after a 15-day DL stint. The stats don't lie--.387 bavg and a .420 OBP on a team where .320 is considered great. That led to the Nava leadoff, the forcefeeding of that kid in a slump. And the Ortiz to the DL with no replacement in the lineup is still perplexing--again forcing Ciriaco and Nava to be a banjo hitting DH...Lavarnway gave them an option to use both Salty and Shoppach in the same lineup too. But he's the GM and he decided to not improve the team, but do little so that the team maintains its mediocrity through the injuries.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

how about morales to the pen???????
    seriously how stupid was that...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

how about morales to the pen??????? seriously how stupid was that...
    Posted by georom4

I agree one hundred percent.

You have 6 guys in the mix, at the time the only one that was pitching as well as Morales was Cook, and Morales has 10 times better stuff then Cook does.

So who goes? Morales.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Nava is a streak hitter when he's hot he's scolding hot,Ciraico great story early when noone could get him out needs more patience at the plate. Melancon the Sox overpaid for him. The guy they need to bring up is Matt Barnes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Melancon other than last night has been fine. You have a guy you are trying to restore confidence in and you leave him out to dry in a huge stage.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Melancon other than last night has been fine. You have a guy you are trying to restore confidence in and you leave him out to dry in a huge stage.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5

He just gave up 4 runs in 2/3 of an inning last week.

He has given up 8 runs in his last 2 innings.

Not sure what games you are watching man.  

Like I said I feel badly for the guy, but when it is  almost August and your ERA is 8.59 for the year the only person that is hanging you out to dry is yourself.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to "Re: Melancon and Mortensen":
    In Response to Re: Melancon and Mortensen : He just gave up 4 runs in 2/3 of an inning last week. He has given up 8 runs in his last 2 innings. Not sure what games you are watching man.   Like I said I feel badly for the guy, but when it is  almost August and your ERA is 8.59 for the year the only person that is hanging you out to dry is yourself. Posted by snakeoil123
    He what gaven up 10 runs since he came back with a 45.00 era. He had two bad outings but is clearly a much better pitcher than an 8 something era. Lets really look at his stats man.

Sections
Shortcuts