Melancon and Mortensen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

Re: Melancon and Mortensen

In Response to Re: Melancon and Mortensen:
    In response to "Re: Melancon and Mortensen": He what gaven up 10 runs since he came back with a 45.00 era. He had two bad outings but is clearly a much better pitcher than an 8 something era. Lets really look at his stats man.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5

Yeah I agree he is a much better pitcher than that.  I am really not trying to dog him out.  The harsh reality is he has had two periods this year where he simply cannot get anyone out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: Melancon and Mortensen : I agree one hundred percent. You have 6 guys in the mix, at the time the only one that was pitching as well as Morales was Cook, and Morales has 10 times better stuff then Cook does. So who goes? Morales.  
    Posted by snakeoil123

check the numbers, when the Sox were using the 6-man rotation, the team was winning. When it stopped, the team went into a nosedive

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In Response to Re: Melancon and Mortensen : Yeah I agree he is a much better pitcher than that.  I am really not trying to dog him out.  The harsh reality is he has had two periods this year where he simply cannot get anyone out.
    Posted by snakeoil123

I don't see where Melancon is doing his job. He has had horrific innings, innings tht no other Sox reliever has even come close to. His April was perhaps the worst month ever by a Sox reliever...EVER.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Melancon and Mortensen : See now all of a sudden you are talking baseball.   Why didn't you post that the first time instead of mocking a thread because it was about a "middle reliever"?
    Posted by snakeoil123

Hey snake,

My appologies for your perception that I was mocking your thread. I was in fact questioning the logic that somehow adding Lavarnway or Mortenson to the Major league roster somehow would help to right the ship. Frankly, I've grown tired of the constant questioning of the Red Sox management and the overhype and unrealistic expectation many have of prospects in our system. Trust me Ben Cherington, wants to win as much or more than you or I. Do you think that Bobby Valentine shows up to the park every day and say's. Oh Boy! what a great day to play some bad baseball. I can't wait to see Jon Lester struggle again!

In the big picture this teams failure to contend is due in large part to the season long ineffectiveness of Jon Lester, Josh Beckett and Clay Buccholz and was not helped by the fact that our newly aquired closer has yet to throw a meaningful pitch this year. When your team is a collective 12 games under .500 in games started by your #1 and #2 pitchers, your in for a long year. A fact that seems lost on many of the posters on this forum...It ain't because of a lack of run support...

Further the teams struggles out of the gate certainly was not helped by the fact that both Ellsbury & Crawford missed most of the 1st 100 games while on the DL. Which I'm sure contributed to the less than production we got from Pedrioa and Gonzalez. Who collectively struggled out of the gate to hit to career norms. That along with Youkilis being MIA before being traded (interesting how he's miraculously found his stroke in the windy city?...Then our most productive hitter Ortiz lands on the DL at a time when it looked like our offesne was ready to gel and produce. Sound's like a recipe for failure? No? 

Thus when I read threads pining for Mortenson over Melancon or the constant calling for Lavarnway to get called up to be our DH. Along with all of the trade proposals, we're Cherington's supposed to just pick up the phone and trade Beckett for a bag of a balls, it's laughable.

In the end as hard as it is to admit...We have a team of underachieving oft injured veteran players that lack the fortitude to stand tall and be professionals. Francona eluded to it at the end of last season..A situation that Cherington inherated from Theo "where's your gorilla suit" Epstein. Who is repsonsible for the current core of players under contract and it was while he was leading the baseball operations team. During his tenure that the culture that exist in the clubhouse today festered and the results of his decisions and those he reports too are in fact why we're in the state we're in.

All that said, it's now Cherinton's job to right the ship...a task that is not one that can be done overnight. In my mind it's about the culture of the clubhouse and having 25 guys committed to 1 goal. In the end until he has every player on the team focused on doing thier job and coming to the park everyday in support of the team's goals. Not chirping in the press about thier contracts and calling out thier teammates and manager. The journey will take that much longer to complete...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to "Re: Melancon and Mortensen": He what gaven up 10 runs since he came back with a 45.00 era. He had two bad outings but is clearly a much better pitcher than an 8 something era. Lets really look at his stats man.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5

But decent pitchers don't have two outings like he had in a week. Based on what YOU'VE seen, who would you rather have on the roster, Melancon or Mortensen?

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Melancon other than last night has been fine. You have a guy you are trying to restore confidence in and you leave him out to dry in a huge stage.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5

Yankee Stadium is what caused his initial meltdown.  We didn't need to pitch him there at all.  That was BV just screwing with his head.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Melancon and Mortensen : Good Point....  Again, performance takes a backseat to FAT CONTRACT$  !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806

Bill,

The post you were addressing was comparing Mortensen to Melancon.  Both are minimum wage players.

Which one do you think is the fat contract?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Who has had better performances----Mort---With the exception of exposing him for trade purposes he should swap places with Mel.

That's two poor oitching decisions for BobbyV. the last two nights:
    ---leaving Melancon in fri to extend the Yankee lead
    ---leaving Padilla in to face Tex

I have been a BobbyV backer--those were poor choices--with a loaded pen both nights. I think he has to be very careful when he uses his only two lefties esp. with Grande, Tex and Cano.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Melancon and Mortensen : Hey snake, My appologies for your perception that I was mocking your thread. I was in fact questioning the logic that somehow adding Lavarnway or Mortenson to the Major league roster somehow would help to right the ship. Frankly, I've grown tired of the constant questioning of the Red Sox management and the overhype and unrealistic expectation many have of prospects in our system. Trust me Ben Cherington, wants to win as much or more than you or I. Do you think that Bobby Valentine shows up to the park every day and say's. Oh Boy! what a great day to play some bad baseball. I can't wait to see Jon Lester struggle again! In the big picture this teams failure to contend is due in large part to the season long ineffectiveness of Jon Lester, Josh Beckett and Clay Buccholz and was not helped by the fact that our newly aquired closer has yet to throw a meaningful pitch this year. When your team is a collective 12 games under .500 in games started by your #1 and #2 pitchers, your in for a long year. A fact that seems lost on many of the posters on this forum...It ain't because of a lack of run support... Further the teams struggles out of the gate certainly was not helped by the fact that both Ellsbury & Crawford missed most of the 1st 100 games while on the DL. Which I'm sure contributed to the less than production we got from Pedrioa and Gonzalez. Who collectively struggled out of the gate to hit to career norms. That along with Youkilis being MIA before being traded (interesting how he's miraculously found his stroke in the windy city?...Then our most productive hitter Ortiz lands on the DL at a time when it looked like our offesne was ready to gel and produce. Sound's like a recipe for failure? No?  Thus when I read threads pining for Mortenson over Melancon or the constant calling for Lavarnway to get called up to be our DH. Along with all of the trade proposals, we're Cherington's supposed to just pick up the phone and trade Beckett for a bag of a balls, it's laughable. In the end as hard as it is to admit...We have a team of underachieving oft injured veteran players that lack the fortitude to stand tall and be professionals. Francona eluded to it at the end of last season..A situation that Cherington inherated from Theo "where's your gorilla suit" Epstein. Who is repsonsible for the current core of players under contract and it was while he was leading the baseball operations team. During his tenure that the culture that exist in the clubhouse today festered and the results of his decisions and those he reports too are in fact why we're in the state we're in. All that said, it's now Cherinton's job to right the ship...a task that is not one that can be done overnight. In my mind it's about the culture of the clubhouse and having 25 guys committed to 1 goal. In the end until he has every player on the team focused on doing thier job and coming to the park everyday in support of the team's goals. Not chirping in the press about thier contracts and calling out thier teammates and manager. The journey will take that much longer to complete...
    Posted by Beantowne

I get your point.  I agree that Mortensen in and Melancon out would not make any sort of real difference.

Just talking baseball.  No apology needed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to "Re: Melancon and Mortensen":
    In Response to Re: Melancon and Mortensen : But decent pitchers don't have two outings like he had in a week. Based on what YOU'VE seen, who would you rather have on the roster, Melancon or Mortensen? Posted by ADG
    Melancon is a better pitcher than Mortensen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to "Re: Melancon and Mortensen": Melancon is a better pitcher than Mortensen.
    Posted by BosoxJoe5

a better pitcher with much worse results.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Melancon is toast. Mortenson is a better pitcher. You know how I know this? Because when he's thrown for the Sox, he's pitched well. Melancon has now had 2 different stretches of complete meltdowns--the entire bullpen has not had any of these ridiculously bad performances---4 runs allowed, or HRs galore---Padilla giving up a jack to Tex is rare to this pen..Melancon gave up 3 HR in an inning in April...AN INNING.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Mel looks better on the outside because he throws harder than Mort.

I suggest you look at the important results---ERA and Inherited runners that have scored.

Mort is more deceptive and has a lot more finesse.

The Sox want to move Mel---that's the reason they haven't sent him down--BenC. thinks he can move him in the next two days...he's wrong--he has waited too long--IMHO I don't believe he will make a trade. 

As I said a month ago --"BenC. you are waiting too long"--he will have to DFA so many players in the next two weeks.

Ortiz will be back
    Dice starts a rehab Mon.
    Hill starts one soon
    Bailey goes to the Gulf coast Mon.

He will be run out of town if he lets Ciriaco go.
    He could send Tazawa to the PawSox
    He can let Sweeney walk.
    He can DFA either Shop or Salty--Perhaps trade Salty to the A's for Suzzuci and a pitcher(Brendan MacCarthy). Shop to the Rangers for a prospect.
    Sounds like Atch's injury may be more serious.
    He could DL Crawford for surgery.
    What to do with Punto?

If Ben makes a shambles of the trade deadline he may be the one that will be replaced; neither he nor BobbyV. have been very impressive the last week. I wonder if he has Theo on speed dial for guidance? 

Sections
Shortcuts