Melencon over his head in ALE

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EricBennington. Show EricBennington's posts

Melencon over his head in ALE

He has got to go! No more excuses! He needs to go back to the NL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: Melencon over his head in ALE

Leave the guy alone his era is only 49.50.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Melencon over his head in ALE:
    He has got to go! No more excuses! He needs to go back to the NL
    Posted by EricBennington

His best outing was his only outing against an ALE team (1 IP 1 ER 1K 15 pitches).

Yes, he needs to work out his problems right now, but it isn't the ALE's fault.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EricBennington. Show EricBennington's posts

In response to "Re: Melencon over his head in ALE":
    In Response to Melencon over his head in ALE : His best outing was his only outing against an ALE team (1 IP 1 ER 1K 15 pitches). Yes, he needs to work out his problems right now, but it isn't the ALE's fault. Posted by JB-3
    Re-phrase over his head in the AL...period!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Have to think about putting him back in when sox need something.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah...

Signing Shoppach was a mistake.

Cody Ross will wilt under the Boston media spotlight.

Aceves does not have what it takes to be a closer.

Aviles can't carry Scoot's jock.

And on and on and on...

Short sample size definitive judgements are alway right.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

In Response to Re: Melencon over his head in ALE:
    Yeah... Signing Shoppach was a mistake. Cody Ross will wilt under the Boston media spotlight. Aceves does not have what it takes to be a closer. Aviles can't carry Scoot's jock. And on and on and on... Short sample size definitive judgements are alway right.
    Posted by moonslav59

I will say this moon...At the risk of sounding told-you-so-ish about Aviles, I said right after they got rid of Scutaro that it was probably a big mistake for the Red Sox...Scutaro could turn a double play, and make most of the reasonable plays in the field...Aviles is just not quick enough to be a shortstop...He looked pretty weak tonight...This will hurt the Red Sox, and they really might be better off with a weak hitting but stellar defensive SS like Iggy...I think you had one of your rare lapses when you minimized the Scutaro salary dump....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Calvin Shiraldi 2.0

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I will say this moon...At the risk of sounding told-you-so-ish about Aviles, I said right after they got rid of Scutaro that it was probably a big mistake for the Red Sox...Scutaro could turn a double play, and make most of the reasonable plays in the field...Aviles is just not quick enough to be a shortstop...He looked pretty weak tonight...This will hurt the Red Sox, and they really might be better off with a weak hitting but stellar defensive SS like Iggy...I think you had one of your rare lapses when you minimized the Scutaro salary dump....

Scoot did a good job for us. He made the easy plays look easy. His arm was not great. His range lessened. I think Aviles will have a slightly better fielding year this year than Scoot would have had here a year older. I think Aviles is a good hitter for a short stop. I do not think we will have a drop off in offense with Aviles.

I like Aviles... as our utility player. I have wanted Iggy as our SS since Scoot got hurt last year. I still do.

I'm sticking to my 80-100 hits to outs projection on the Iggy-Aviles SS defense comparative call.

Also, I see the "salary dump" of Scoot like this:
    No drop off from Scoot to Aviles.
    Money saved just about paid for Ross, Punto & Shoppach. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from candre99. Show candre99's posts

why let bowden go and keep melancon?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

I will say this moon...At the risk of sounding told-you-so-ish about Aviles, I said right after they got rid of Scutaro that it was probably a big mistake for the Red Sox...Scutaro could turn a double play, and make most of the reasonable plays in the field...Aviles is just not quick enough to be a shortstop...He looked pretty weak tonight...This will hurt the Red Sox, and they really might be better off with a weak hitting but stellar defensive SS like Iggy...I think you had one of your rare lapses when you minimized the Scutaro salary dump.... Scoot did a good job for us. He made the easy plays look easy. His arm was not great. His range lessened. I think Aviles will have a slightly better fielding year this year than Scoot would have had here a year older. I think Aviles is a good hitter for a short stop. I do not think we will have a drop off in offense with Aviles. I like Aviles... as our utility player. I have wanted Iggy as our SS since Scoot got hurt last year. I still do. I'm sticking to my 80-100 hits to outs projection on the Iggy-Aviles SS defense comparative call. Also, I see the "salary dump" of Scoot like this: No drop off from Scoot to Aviles. Money saved just about paid for Ross, Punto & Shoppach. 
    Posted by moonslav59
    That's just it...I do think you will see a big dropoff between Scut and Aviles...I know that Scut was considered one of the bottom feeders in the world of defensive SS statistically, and you pointed that out very nicely...I think your mistake has been to assume that Aviles can't be much worse...Well, at this point, assuming the Red Sox stick with Aviles, I bet you any money his fielding will be significantly inferior to Scutaro's...Aviles just looks lead footed out there at times...I can't speak to the need of the FO to dump salary, but I can say this...After watching this game tonight, the Red Sox need a real SS whether he can hit or not......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That's just it...I do think you will see a big dropoff between Scut and Aviles...I know that Scut was considered one of the bottom feeders in the world of defensive SS statistically, and you pointed that out very nicely...I think your mistake has been to assume that Aviles can't be much worse...Well, at this point, assuming the Red Sox stick with Aviles, I bet you any money his fielding will be significantly inferior to Scutaro's...Aviles just looks lead footed out there at times...I can't speak to the need of the FO to dump salary, but I can say this...After watching this game tonight, he Red Sox need a real SS whether he can hit or not......

It wasn't just the stats that showed Scoot was a poor-ranged SS. I watched nearly every game he played here. Some of Scoot's defensive weaknesses were injury-related, but he's not getting any younger. There's a reason he was a utility IF'er for most of his career. There's a reason Aviles was one as well. They are both "lead-footed" on D.

We'll have to agree to disagree on a defensive disparity between the two, and that's not because I think Aviles is good.  There's a reason I said I thought Iggy could and would make 80-100 more plays than Aviles if he played 150 games at SS, so I'm not disagreeing on your take on Mike's defense. I'm just disagreeing with your take on Scoot's D.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Yeah... Signing Shoppach was a mistake. Cody Ross will wilt under the Boston media spotlight. Aceves does not have what it takes to be a closer. Aviles can't carry Scoot's jock. And on and on and on... Short sample size definitive judgements are alway right.
    Posted by moonslav59

Small sample size or not, Melancon has given up enarly as many Hrs (5) as he has recorded outs (6).  That's really, really unimpressive, and not many other MLB pitchers can pull that off even through 6 outs.  His closest competition this year is Steve Delabar (4HR / 14 outs), who looks like Dick Radatz in comparison.

Let's put it another way - Melancon is now tied with Beckett for the MLB lead in HRs (pending further action tonight from other pitchers. Someone with 2IP should never be in that discussion even this late in the season...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teilhardian. Show teilhardian's posts

That's just it...I do think you will see a big dropoff between Scut and Aviles...I know that Scut was considered one of the bottom feeders in the world of defensive SS statistically, and you pointed that out very nicely...I think your mistake has been to assume that Aviles can't be much worse...Well, at this point, assuming the Red Sox stick with Aviles, I bet you any money his fielding will be significantly inferior to Scutaro's...Aviles just looks lead footed out there at times...I can't speak to the need of the FO to dump salary, but I can say this...After watching this game tonight, he Red Sox need a real SS whether he can hit or not...... It wasn't just the stats that showed Scoot was a poor-ranged SS. I watched nearly every game he played here. Some of Scoot's defensive weaknesses were injury-related, but he's not getting any younger. There's a reason he was a utility IF'er for most of his career. There's a reason Aviles was one as well. They are both "lead-footed" on D. We'll have to agree to disagree on a defensive disparity between the two, and that's not because I think Aviles is good.  There's a reason I said I thought Iggy could and would make 80-100 more plays than Aviles if he played 150 games at SS, so I'm not disagreeing on your take on Mike's defense. I'm just disagreeing with your take on Scoot's D.
    Posted by moonslav59
    Okay...and it is probably too early to tell anway...This is only the second Red Sox game I watched in toto, so I am going on impressions...It will be interesting to see how it plays out, moon...

Sections
Shortcuts