Memo to Ben: Get Kerry Wood!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Re: Memo to Ben: Get Kerry Wood!

In Response to Memo to Ben: Get Kerry Wood!:
    [QUOTE]MLBTradeRumors: "   Kerry Wood 's "days as a Cub appear all but over," writes Dave Kaplan of CSNChicago.com after talking to a source with knowledge of the reliever's negotiations with the team." By Bruce Levine ESPNChicago.com "ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick reported the Philadelphia Phillies were one of the teams interested in Wood. The Cincinnati Reds , Boston Red Sox and Detroit Tigers also expressed interest, according to sources."
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

He pitched well for the Yanks, I was sorry to see him go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

According to MLBTrade Rumors--Kerry Wood may not be as understanding about a "Hometown Discount" for the Cubs this season--he might be out of the Sox price range--but he's talking about going to a contender? 

He was an excellent set up guy for Mariano a couple of years ago. A .69 ERA in 24 appearances with the Yanks in 2010 with better than a strikeout per inning. Perhaps a base of $3M plus some reachable incentives. He's a very strong pen arm and might be a good influence on some of the young arms. This might also be the move that gives the Sox the opportunity for  Bard to go to the rotation.He was an excellent set up guy for Mariano a couple of years ago. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Wood took a discount last year to stay. He wants to be rewarded for a healthy and decent year.

I would go after Samardzija for the Theo comp.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smartacus. Show Smartacus's posts

In Response to Re: Memo to Ben: Get Kerry Wood!:
    [QUOTE]Wood took a discount last year to stay. He wants to be rewarded for a healthy and decent year. I would go after Samardzija for the Theo comp.
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]
    good idea, he's a great receiver. We could flip him to the pats.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Memo to Ben: Get Kerry Wood! : good idea, he's a great receiver. We could flip him to the pats.
    Posted by Smartacus[/QUOTE] As a Yank Fan, I was hoping they'd find a way to re-sign him in 2011. He would make the Sox bullpen infinitely stronger and give Bard more time to develop as a starter.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Memo to Ben: Get Kerry Wood! : As a Yank Fan, I was hoping they'd find a way to re-sign him in 2011. He would make the Sox bullpen infinitely stronger and give Bard more time to develop as a starter.
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

Except for the fact that Kerry Wood might be the most injury-prone player in MLB history.

Chad Qualls is basically the same pitcher, except with fewer trips back to the shop...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Memo to Ben: Get Kerry Wood! : Except for the fact that Kerry Wood might be the most injury-prone player in MLB history. Chad Qualls is basically the same pitcher, except with fewer trips back to the shop...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

His ERA from 2009-2011 is 3.61, with a Whip of 1.355.  With Bailey, Aceves, melacon, Morales, Albers, Tazawa, Doubront, and Atchison/Bowden, and maybe Hill in the 2nd half, I'm not seeing a lot of appeal to him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i think he woud be a good pick up. albers and atchison are mediocre at best. bowden who knows how he will do. we could use a guy like wood. he would be a good 7th inning guy who could occiasionally be a set up man. i think he is worth a shot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

Wood would be nice and he would not have to pitch every day here. 3m is not being over priced and is fair for both sides.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Source: Cubs, Kerry Wood close to deal

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/7451350/chicago-cubs-kerry-wood-close-one-year-deal

Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer said Tuesday that the Cubs offered Wood a "substantial raise," and hoped to get a deal done soon.

Wood signed a $1.5 million deal with the Cubs last season, leaving a two-year, $10 million contract offer from the Chicago White Sox and a one-year, $5 million offer from the Boston Red Sox on the table.

I just don't see the Sox offering him $5 mil or more to move East.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Memo to Ben: Get Kerry Wood! : As a Yank Fan, I was hoping they'd find a way to re-sign him in 2011. He would make the Sox bullpen infinitely stronger and give Bard more time to develop as a starter.
    Posted by pri360[/QUOTE]

How about a link to a Yankee forum for all of the other Yankee fans who sleepwalk into a Red Sox forum like you did? Have you told Yankee fans that Kerry Wood would be a good signing for THEM?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Memo to Ben: Get Kerry Wood! : How about a link to a Yankee forum for all of the other Yankee fans who sleepwalk into a Red Sox forum like you did? Have you told Yankee fans that Kerry Wood would be a good signing for THEM?
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Is this a private/members only club?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Wood loves Chicago.  His wife is from Chicago.  His house is in Chicago.  He is not leaving Chicago.  Forget about it!  He will sign with the Cubs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

As usual or purposely, it's too late.    As what's been seen in this offseason, it's all about low cost additions.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Has Ben's offseason bullpen aquisitions given him the leeway yet that he doesnt need memo's from fans?
    So far, cant complain about the players/cost Sox have obtained, and the players discarded.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Memo to Ben: Get Kerry Wood! : good idea, he's a great receiver. We could flip him to the pats.
    Posted by Smartacus[/QUOTE]

I dont laugh much, but when I do, I drink coolaid...

Look out Bo, Neon-Deion and Brian Jordon...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Memo to Ben: Get Kerry Wood! : How about a link to a Yankee forum for all of the other Yankee fans who sleepwalk into a Red Sox forum like you did? Have you told Yankee fans that Kerry Wood would be a good signing for THEM?
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]Thanks for the suggestion; but what iteration of your screen name in Utica Club? Considering I've never been asked to leave this board; I will go about making my occasional comments (which are never meant to be inflammatory or insulting to Red Sox fans) and hope to have a dialogue every now and then with a baseball fan or two.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Memo to Ben: Get Kerry Wood!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Memo to Ben: Get Kerry Wood! : good idea, he's a great receiver. We could flip him to the pats. Posted by Smartacus[/QUOTE] Can Brady pitch?