Memo to Incompetent GM Ben Cherryton: Avoid Vernon Wells and Dan Harren and the following FA/option-FA like the Plague!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Memo to Incompetent GM Ben Cherryton: Avoid Vernon Wells and Dan Harren and the following FA/option-FA like the Plague!

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No, a dumpster profile is Bobby Jenks. Guthrie and Francis are quality yardsale values and fits.

[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't it be a better value and fit to have a coach throw batting practice?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Memo to Incompetent GM Ben Cherryton: Avoid Vernon Wells and Dan Harren and the following FA/option-FA like the Plague!

[QUOTE]

These guys will get lit up in Fenway...I dont care if you can get them on minor league deals, no way...

In fact, the 2nd rate pitchers you want will get lit up like Lackey.

As for Greinke, there are scads of 2nd rate pitchers and just a few 1st rate. The 1st rate pitchers rarely reach FA, and the Red Sox have already paid a fortune for 2nd rate pitchers. They don't need more of the same.

Can't wait to see how he "deals" in the AL West when he comes East.

[/QUOTE]

Nice way to avoid the truth...Your "dumpster dives" will get lit up...And what pitchers do I want? I havent mentioned any...Nice try on the failed comeback though...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to elktonnick's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

These guys will get lit up in Fenway...I dont care if you can get them on minor league deals, no way...

As for Greinke, there are scads of 2nd rate pitchers and just a few 1st rate. The 1st rate pitchers rarely reach FA, and the Red Sox have already paid a fortune for 2nd rate pitchers. They don't need more of the same.

[/QUOTE]

Ben isn't incompetent.  As one friend put it,  "He is just Fredo to Larry's Godfather."  To paraphrase the movie:  "He is smart, he can do stuff."

[/QUOTE]

Is that what constitutes insightful baseball discussions on Sawksheads these days?

Awesome...

[/QUOTE]

I guess you think insightful baseball discussion is your constantly kissing Cherington's petunia and trying to convince yourself that he is an excellent GM just waiting to strike it big.  Let me put some colors in your paintbox.  Though Trotter and I disagree on Ellsbury and have for years, he is absolutely right in his take on Cherington and so is my friend Elktonnick.  Cherington is a total incompetent and within a month or so even you will see and stop carrying his water and wood.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]

Guthrie and Francis are not dumpster diving, they are good value yard sale profiles.

Bobby Jenks was dumpster diving.

[/QUOTE]

Well in my opinion, and I imagine many others, signing either of these two guys would classify as incompetent moves by the Sox GM...now what the heck makes these two stiffs so attractive to you?

I'd prefer paying more for one of the following: Brandon McCarthy, Anibal Sanchez or Shaun Marcum than settle for yard sale values like those two.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ben isn't incompetent.  As one friend put it,  "He is just Fredo to Larry's Godfather."  To paraphrase the movie:  "He is smart, he can do stuff."

[/QUOTE]

Is that what constitutes insightful baseball discussions on Sawksheads these days?

Awesome...

[/QUOTE]

I guess you think insightful baseball discussion is your constantly kissing Cherington's petunia and trying to convince yourself that he is an excellent GM just waiting to strike it big.  Let me put some colors in your paintbox.  Though Trotter and I disagree on Ellsbury and have for years, he is absolutely right in his take on Cherington and so is my friend Elktonnick.  Cherington is a total incompetent and within a month or so even you will see and stop carrying his water and wood.

[/QUOTE]

Im still on the fence with regards to BC and his GM skills. Last year was like walking into a flooded house and sorting things out for him. Im reserving my opinion until 2013 has ended. Only then will I have a good idea what hes all about.

So, lets say he does make the "right" moves...Are you different from trotter/softy in that you will change your views of him?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Awesome...

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Im still on the fence with regards to BC and his GM skills. Last year was like walking into a flooded house and sorting things out for him. Im reserving my opinion until 2013 has ended. Only then will I have a good idea what hes all about.

So, lets say he does make the "right" moves...Are you different from trotter/softy in that you will change your views of him?

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely Southpaw.  If Cherington pleasantly surpises me and makes some of the moves we need you will hear a mea culpa and you will hear it quickly.  And BTW, I like y our posts and your even handed ways in your missives.  I also would like nothing better than to be wrong because it means the Red Sox will be better next year that I thought they would be.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

ThefourBs' comment:

30 mil for two years? No.

25 mil? Yup.

[/QUOTE]

Says you the Idiot

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Awesome...

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely Southpaw.  If Cherington pleasantly surpises me and makes some of the moves we need you will hear a mea culpa and you will hear it quickly.  And BTW, I like y our posts and your even handed ways in your missives.  I also would like nothing better than to be wrong because it means the Red Sox will be better next year that I thought they would be.

[/QUOTE]

Thats good to hear. And thanks.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

69 wins last season, a ousy team, salary space cleared and softy decided no one is worth signing? like someone said, just tell us who you want - thats easier...i want grienke, anxiety be damned....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

69 wins last season, a ousy team, salary space cleared and softy decided no one is worth signing? like someone said, just tell us who you want - thats easier...i want grienke, anxiety be damned....

[/QUOTE]

Greinke will be fun to rip, if he melts down, won't he?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    we need a pitcher...a good one....no one is going to rip anyone as long as they pitch like they care (nonBeckett)...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    we need a pitcher...a good one....no one is going to rip anyone as long as they pitch like they care (nonBeckett)...

[/QUOTE]

There's a better chance the Sox dig up Zack Wheat and prop him up in left field than there is of Zack Greinke pitching for Sox next year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

he wants Jeremy Guthrie and jeff francis...No kidding...He calls them good value yard sale deals.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

Moonshwemp wants McCarthey and Marcum or McCarthey and Guthrie. 2nd rate pitchers with big contracts are train wrecks the Red Sox have already been in too many times.

southpaux, no kidding, lets hear specifically which pitcher or pitchers you want and how much you are going to budget to make sure you acquire them via mraket rate paid. Zero chance of anything specific from you.

[/QUOTE]

Your life must really, really suck...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

[QUOTE]

The Royals got taken on arm trouble Santana, so you can't make that blunder, but avoid the following FA, like the plague:

Josh Hamilton (Market base to be long term superstar, old man with serious issues)

Michael Bourn (HMBC future and better value in Bradley, Jr.)

BJ Upton (market will be more than one middle base year for a 2nd rate CF'er)

Nick Swisher (A platoon profile but in a market that will net everyday star contract)

Angel Pagan (Giants will be bidding high base for ths 2nd rate OF'er)

Shane Victorino (An old man one year low base value in a high base and/or 2 year+ Market)

Torri Hunter (This old man is a racist and clubhouse cancer in an LA landfill for a reason)

Adam Laroche (This guy is like Mike Aviles in power but is on the market at first base)

Rafeal Soriano (Old man and clubhouse cancer in a north side dumpster)

Melky Cabrera (Without HGH this is a back bencher OF'er)

Russell Martin (This idiot turned down 3 years and 20M, 2nd rate catcher)

Stephen Drew (Paying market base for this guy who isn't needed would add the latest chapter to the most incompetent general management approach to SS in MLB history!)

Marco Scutaro (The Red Sox didn't need a 2nd baseman then, and don't need one now that Scutaro is riding high even as an old FA)

Kevin Youkilis (Washed up starter who is now a back bencher, the Red Sox left a massive hole to get rid of Crawford and Beckett incompetent contracts, this would be waiving the Obama Middle East foreign policy flag)

Ryan Ludwik (LOL on this sure to be overpriced platoon pinch hitter profile)

A.J. Pierzynski (old man who is in part-time catcher stage with high market base)

Joe Blanton (Laughter, this is a one year 2M bum in a higher base market)

Brandon McCarthey (Laughter, this is a 2nd rate pitcher in a HMBC market)

Jayson Grilli    (Laughter)

Kyuji Fujikawa  (Japenese baseball history only EOS)

Koji Uehara - (Laughter Red Sox have no pen issues that requires buying $$ FA)

Ryan Madson (Laughter Red Sox have no pen issues that requires buying $$ FA)

Joakim Soria (Royals deserve this guy, Red Sox have no pen issues)

Joel Peralta (Human Launching pad)

Mariano Rivera (Show enough interest to make the Yankees bid against themselves)  

Ichiro Suzuki (This is a part-time OF'er with an overpriced market due to history)  

Jeff Keppinger (Stay away from career year FA in the roller derby rink)

Mike Adams (Medical issues and not needed)

Andy Pettitte (2nd rate pitcher with checkered past & can't even bluff his market up)

Jose Valverde (Stay away from his launching pad if the Tigers throw him in the landfill)

Jonathan Broxton (Launching pad loser with a higher base market)

Eric Chavez (Good Yankee back bencher fit end of story)

Jeremy Affeldt -(expensive and overrated off recent post season pen work) 

Vernon Wells (A total joke and the Anglels should send Trout to get rid of Wells)

Zach Grienke (Weak Constitution and a 2nd rate pitcher with a huge market base contract)

Anibal Sanchez (High Miles 2nd rate pitcher with a huge market base contract)

Edwin Jackson (High Miles 2nd rate pitcher with a huge market base contract)

Dan Harren (Weak Constitution and a 2nd rate pitcher with a huge market base contract)

Hiroki Kuroda (Old man with high miles off career year 2nd rate pitcher with HMBC) 

Kyle Lohse (2nd rate pitcher with HMBC)

Ryan Dempster (In the Dumpster for Dempster for a reason)

Shaum Marcum (2nd rate pitcher with a HMBC)

Joe Saunders (2nd rate pitcher who the O's covet to HMBC)

[/QUOTE]

I will agree on most of your opinion except:

(1) The sox may have paid too much for Papi but we will see a much new Ortiz now that Valetine is not running the show

(2) If Papi was not signing with the sox then Swisher (consistently over 20 HRS and knocked in 93 RBI's last season) will be a good DH substitute and along with his RF and 1st base playing experience will come in handy if needed.

(3) Greinke would make the pitching line up stronger then it is at the moment Lester Greinke Bucholtz Doubront Lackey (if lackey is capable of getting back to form after 10 major gms. next season then the sox will have a good starting rotation ).

(4) Cherington will need to focus on the bullpen and get some extra help in that area and Farrell is definetly not going to ignore this problem. His coaching staff is coming together now and his next move will be the roster situation. Personally Breslow Morales Bailey Padilla Acevez, Bard is still worth the gamble now with Farrel back in the reigns, Cook i said yes recently but change my mind, Melancon is still worth the shot in the bullpen.

(5) The last 2 spots to fill in will be 1st base (Loney resign and Swisher sign can fill in that gap) and outfield (resign Ross and Swisher can fill that spot also if he was signed).

(6) Suzuki would be an FA to think about for RF or wait and see how the Brentz kid does in the spring training

1st base Loney (Swisher back up), 2nd base Ped and Ciriaco, 3rd Middlebrooks and Ciriaco, SS Inglesias and Ciriaco, Catcher Salty and Lavarnway LF Ross CF Els and RF Swisher back up outfiels Sweeney and Kalish is worth the shot to see if he can recover from his injured prones.

The Red Sox can a batting line up something like this

Elsbury CF, Pedroia SS, Ross LF, Ortiz DH, Swisher RF, Salty C, Middlebrooks 3B, Loney 1B and Inglesias or Ciriaco

Sections
Shortcuts