Memo to JD Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Re: Memo to JD Drew

I like Drew, but he is what he is.  Good field, good arm, decent bat, but nothing special.  In four years with the Sox he never batted in more than 68 runs and this year appears to be headed for half that.  In half as many at bats, Cameron has one fewer rbi's--4 to Drew's 5.  There can be no question about Drew's trying harder because this is a contract year for him.  He's doing the absolute best that he can. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Bottom of the ninth, two outs, your team is trailing by one run, and the count is 2-2. What do you do?

You hit a grand slam, circa 2007 PS. If you are Ellsbury, you just stand there, gaping.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Add contract year talk to the list of nonsense.

Again ... who knows. I'm inclined to agree with you, but t the same time, his problems have been his back and  I know how debilitating that can be. Who really knows how many times he might have played when he wasn't right.

Tito ripped him about it after a game last year, if Tito was willing to go public I put some weight to it.  Theo claimed others do the same but no one hears about it.  IMO Theo was covering for him.

When looking at cost per WAR.  Drew crushes Lee, Matthews Jr., Soriano, and Pierre.

With some help from Cot's Baseball Contracts, let's look at the teams that are paying players to be anywhere but on their roster this season...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I don't "hate" Drew.

Let's get that out of the way.

I can be critical of someone who gets paid lots and lots of money and then does not "earn" it.

Drew is not exactly an A-Rod. A-Rod is a celebrity who fills seats because people want to see him. Pedroia fills seats because people believe ( rightly so) that he will give 100% effort and will play even if he has a splinter in his toe.

Drew does not "fill seats." He is not an "exciting" player to watch , does not deliver in most clutch situations. Oh sure,he gets his hits, he'll have some "respectable" numbers by season's end. He makes the defensive plays  he "should" make....very rarely makes "outstanding" or "highlight reel" plays. Seldom makes an accurate throw to home plate.

I'd be very interested to know if Theo,Larry and John are extremely pleased with his performance. I know I am not. But, their opinion is what counts. We'll see when his contract runs out.

I'm reasonably sure he'll be in another uniform next year. And not just because Pawtucket has some good outfielders ready to move up. But, because we've all had enough.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Bottom of the ninth, two outs, your team is trailing by one run, and the count is 2-2. What do you do?

You hit a grand slam, circa 2007 PS. If you are Ellsbury, you just stand there, gaping.

EHHHHHHHH! Sorry, wrong answer. You try to keep your team's chances alive by protecting the plate. If you swing and make an out, I have no criticism. If you leave the game's final out up to the home plate umpire, you are too passive. I thought all baseball players know enough when to protect the plate.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In Response to Re: Memo to JD Drew:
    [QUOTE]Release Drew NOW
    Posted by dmosul[/QUOTE]
    Drew currently has a better batting average, OBP, and slugging percentage than Dustin Pedroia...I guess Pedroia needs to be released as well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamaicaPlain67. Show JamaicaPlain67's posts

No matter what your opinion about Drew is, isn't 2000 threads about him during the last four years excessive. Haven't all of the specific criticisms been repeated so much that we can predict them word by word. This isn't beatibg a dead horse, it is making a horsemeat hamburger of of the horse. Enough already. What a void there will be in the room when he has left.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Man, any thread with his name in it starts a fire.  For that alone he'll be missed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

This whole team, Pitchers and Batters, needs a refresher course on what home plate represents. Pitchers won't throw to it and batters won't swing at pitches over it. We have already witnessed a Season's worth of called 3rd strikes and We're only just past the first month of the season !! The Bull pen will continue to get worse as the starters pitch counts reach 100 by the 5th inning !! Same problem as last year only this season we have the Dead bat Society working OVERTIME !!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I always thought that if you had 2 strikes on you it was your job to foul off any pitch that was close to the strike zone----a pitch on the outside corner you would just drill to the opposite field. Maybe that's too old-school for Drew?