Mental Lapses

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Re: Mental Lapses

Yeah, I agree Ex-Pitch. Nothing left to say if we're dealing in generalities.
    Understand, it's not that I disagree with much of what you say. I just think the terminology ("mental lapses") is too loose to be applied to any specific area without further specification.

I do agree that this team may have been ill-prepared for the season, but it's hard to articulate on a message board.

I think if you named this thread "Thought process?", I probably would have reacted differently. Always enjoy reading UR stuff, my friend.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Harness, I better put these observations on the record when they are fresh in my mind.
    McDonald MUST NOT get picked off in that situation. Iglesias was NOT picked off, even when he was set to run. Right, McDonald was nailed by a lefty. All the more reason to be sure you're not picked off.
    If you're thinking to bunt, you should be thinking to get the right pitch for it. Ellsbury was not. Imagine the damage he'd do if he ever learns to bunt right. And why hasn't he already? My goodness, with wheels like that.
    This one is borderline.  Youk has to call Okajima off on that nubber. No way a lefty throws a fast runner out on a ball that far from the mound.  Fine, Oki's instinct was to go after the ball.  Maybe Youk did call him off too late. Right, it all happened very fast, but there's no rule against fast reactions and fast calls. Indeed, that's how tough plays are made. 
    Pedey is still swinging from the heels on outside pitches.  He's making no adjustment to how he's being pitched -- for a long stretch. Then he gets a pitch to pull and doubles.  Let's hope he says to himself, "See." 
    I'm not writing this sort of thing down.  Ho.  But these kinds of mistakes do stay in the mind.    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Mental Lapses:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, I agree Ex-Pitch. Nothing left to say if we're dealing in generalities. Understand, it's not that I disagree with much of what you say. I just think the terminology ("mental lapses") is too loose to be applied to any specific area without further specification. I do agree that this team may have been ill-prepared for the season, but it's hard to articulate on a message board. I think if you named this thread "Thought process?", I probably would have reacted differently. Always enjoy reading UR stuff, my friend.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]
    Fair enough. I can respond only that I have been conditioned to think of the "thought processes" as mental mistakes in many specific situations as I've observed them.  IF I did keep a close record, you might well be able to make a case for mitigation. But there we are.
    Under prompting, I do on this thread specify four ( at least three indisputable ) mental mistakes, as I define the term. If you would withhold that label for one reason or other, please explain.  
    All I can say, finally, is that I have seen a lot of this stuff so far this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Good. Now I can respond to specifics.
    Mac ran for Tek with one sole purpose: to steal 2nd. No way Tito removes Tek otherwise. Not with two out and nobody in scoring position.

In fairness to Mac, he probably wasn't used to seeing that lefty's move. I agree he was over-anxious, but lefty's can be tough to steal off of. So he cheated to make up the diff. It didn't work. Mac doesn't have Ells speed, so he has to take a bit more of a risk.

Gammons said Ells is the best bunter on the team. In fact, he ridiculed him for not deploying it in his game. So, you can't blame Ells for trying (I know you weren't).
    This part of his game is still missing, and I think it's about technique. But that's a limited call on my part. He made the right move against a lefty leading off, just didn't execute. Keep in mind where the 3rd baseman is when he bats. He has little margin for error when he lays one down, so perhaps he's trying to be too perfect.

Pedey is simply in a horrid slump. Worst since his debut. This goes beyond isolating one area. In fact, I mentioned he may need to get his eyes checked, as he's completely missing pitches he normally squares up.

Agree the Oki/Youk thing was borderline.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from losmediasrojas. Show losmediasrojas's posts

Without taking sides, which is not necessary, I am pleased to see an actual discussion about the game break out on these boards.  This chatboard sorely needs it.  Harness, good work in getting ex-pitch to elaborate on specifics.  It was then, and only then, that I could better understand ex-pitch's take on things. 

I do recall that the '04 team played very sloppy baseball throughout the summer months.  Some of this was addressed through personel changes, and some it was overcome with a lot of talent.  Manny could have a mentalfart in the outfield leading to two runs, and then hit a three run dinger in his next atbat. 

There is a long season left to play out, and I suspect some things will be worked out over the course of it. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Without taking sides, which is not necessary, I am pleased to see an actual discussion about the game break out on these boards.  This chatboard sorely needs it.  Harness, good work in getting ex-pitch to elaborate on specifics.  It was then, and only then, that I could better understand ex-pitch's take on things.  I do recall that the '04 team played very sloppy baseball throughout the summer months.  Some of this was addressed through personel changes, and some it was overcome with a lot of talent.  Manny could have a mentalfart in the outfield leading to two runs, and then hit a three run dinger in his next atbat.  There is a long season left to play out, and I suspect some things will be worked out over the course of it. 
    Posted by losmediasrojas[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. This is not to put the game threads down. I think BL37 started the practice. It reminds me of a bunch of fans getting together at a local bar and getting emotionally charged with each key moment. But it doesn't get in to this kind of discussion...which carries a civil tone.

Threads are started about a given play in a game, but sides are taken and it gets out of hand.

This thread may not have a long post life, but it or others like it have a chance to really improve this forum. Several pertinent points can be made about critical intervals of a given game. Debating the pros & cons can enhance the learning process.

Gives me an idea...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

This thread is overrated.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Good. Now I can respond to specifics. Mac ran for Tek with one sole purpose: to steal 2nd. No way Tito removes Tek otherwise. Not with two out and nobody in scoring position. In fairness to Mac, he probably wasn't used to seeing that lefty's move. I agree he was over-anxious, but lefty's can be tough to steal off of. So he cheated to make up the diff. It didn't work. Mac doesn't have Ells speed, so he has to take a bit more of a risk. Gammons said Ells is the best bunter on the team. In fact, he ridiculed him for not deploying it in his game. So, you can't blame Ells for trying (I know you weren't). This part of his game is still missing, and I think it's about technique. But that's a limited call on my part. He made the right move against a lefty leading off, just didn't execute. Keep in mind where the 3rd baseman is when he bats. He has little margin for error when he lays one down, so perhaps he's trying to be too perfect. Pedey is simply in a horrid slump. Worst since his debut. This goes beyond isolating one area. In fact, I mentioned he may need to get his eyes checked, as he's completely missing pitches he normally squares up. Agree the Oki/Youk thing was borderline.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]
    IMO, there is no way to excuse McDonald for getting picked off in that situation.If you don't know a lefty's move, all the more reason to be extra careful. If you're in there to steal, you can't risk getting nailed even before you get in motion.
    Ellsbury was trying to drag the pitch with him. Good idea. Technique was not the problem. Not making sure that he got a pitch to bunt -- not thinking -- did him in.  On the first pitch. On that pitch. It was a pop up waiting to happen. I don't know what else might be hampering Pedey, but he's being retired regularly by outside pitches that he tries to pull.  That in itself will put a man in a slump. Is he being bull-headed? He certainly is not using his head. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

This thread is not over-rated, it is insane.

expitch's thesis is that, with proper concentration, no one ever gets picked off or fails to make a play or fails to bring in a run with a hit or SF or whatever.  Baloney.  Baseball is uniquely--of all the major sports--about failure. 

McDonald was doing his job, which was to get to 2B before Pedroia came to bat because these days he's a sure out (last night's terrific double notwithstanding), so he needed to stretch that lead even though it was against an unknown lefty. 

The pitch to Ellsbury was in the strike zone--he just popped it up.  A few games ago everyone raved about Pedroia getting a hit on the 13th pitch of an at bat.  But few recall that that at bat began with not one but two failed attempts to bunt. 

What I hate about this thread is that expitch is using 20-20 hindsight and all the time in the world to second guess what players do on the spur of the moment.   Also, he seems to think it's all about preparation in spring training.  Well, if so, Gardenhire of the Twins must be an awfully poor manager because right now his team looks pretty bad.  They must not have been paying attention during spring training, or maybe Gardenhire just forgot to cover the basics, like pitching and hitting, in ST.  Baloney.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

You notice the little things when your team is in a hitting slump.   That is the only reason this thread exists.  When they all start hitting things will look a lot better.  For now, the games are all generally close, and every little mistake looks like a game ending gaff.    The Sox are fine.   Sometime this Spring they will be all hitting the ball.  Then we can sit back and enjoy some great baseball. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

My thesis is not that "no one ever...."  It is that the Sox did not look prepared to start the season and have made a lot of mental mistakes.  They have looked like they lack focus and concentration.  You can't call the mistake until you see it. What's hindsight about that?
    What players do "in the spur of the moment" is very often a reflection of what they are prepared or not prepared to do.  Why invite even more failure?  
    A guy who gets picked off in that situation is not "doing his job."
    The pitch to Ellsbury was not a good one to bunt, especially not a first pitch.
    Ironically, you're pointing out that at first Pedroia failed to do his job. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Baseball is a game in which there is time to size things up.  Among other things, a player can try to anticipate what might happen next and get ready for it. Pitchers and batters are constantly engaged in this kind of give and take. All batters guess to a certain extent, and thus risk getting fooled. But the alternative is not trying to figure out how they are being pitched, and thus not being able to make adjustments.  They may say that they go by "see the ball, hit the ball,"  and maybe some do; but by and large they are -- and should be -- engaged in the mental side of batting.
    Anticipation is a large part of baseball, whether it's a baserunner looking ahead, an outfielder getting set to make a certain kind of play, an infielder positioning himself and deciding where to go with a ball in case of this or that. Players who do this are the ones who make the best decisions in the spur of the moment. Their heads are always in the game.
    It's also true that "things happen."  Occasionally what may look like a mistake
    in fact couldn't be helped. But, given the nature of baseball, this situation is eccentric. Even so, some players are better than others reacting to it.  Call it momentary instinct or an ability formed by the habit of constant preparation. It's "there when needed."
    Yogi's great crack applies. "This game is 90% mental. The other 50% is physical."  Or words to that effect.
    I believe in taking a very strict approach to mental discipline. In both directions, good and bad, one thing leads to another. Baseball is, above all, a game of good and bad habits. And they are infectious. An entire team can be affected for good or for ill.  Heads-up baseball breeds more heads-up baseball; the reverse is also true.  At all levels. 
    As someone pointed out, the game is played by humans, who are not perfect. Duh. But striving for the perfect is  going to produce the best results. The striving is, course,  dependent upon knowing the right way.  
    My coach said, "Play the game right, and the score will take care of itself." Things don't always turn out this way, but the principle is sound. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

expitch, you still don't get it.  Of course there are mental lapses.  We're all human. 

What I object to is a thread that focuses on that and nothing else, as it to say that mental lapses are always preventable.  We are talking about games that take forever, during which there are only a few moments of real action.  They 6-7 times a week for six months--162 games.  The answer is to take uppers/amphetamines, but those are PED's and therefore banned. 

When was the last time you wrote about something that went right?  Probably never.  Baseball is a game, and should be fun, at least some of the time.  But you want it to be as joyless and as mechanical as possible. 

And this.  Until you show some statistics which confirm your thesis that the Sox simply are not paying attention, I will continue to believe you are just riding your hobby horse and that the Sox are no more or less guilty of mental lapses than any other team. 

FWIW, my favorite recent example of a mental lapse was Lester's last start, when he gave up 1 run in I think 7 innings.  It came in the 1st inning on a dinger and occurred on a pitch, a fastball, that Lester basically insisted on.  Saltalamacchia called for a breaking ball (three fingers), and Lester shook him off until he got the fastball sign.  Same thing happened several years ago when Schilling went into the 9th with a no-no.  Tek called for something, and Schilling shook him off until he got the fastball sign, and the hitter hit that pitch tothe opposite field for a line drive single to right. 

Yes, guys make mistakes.  But you seem to be some kind of purist who thinks that mistakes should never be tolerated.  Worst you believe that mistakes and only mistakes are worth writing about.   For you the home run heard round the world had nothing to do with Bobby Thompson and everything to do with Ralph Branca. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

l

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]expitch, you still don't get it.  Of course there are mental lapses.  We're all human.  What I object to is a thread that focuses on that and nothing else, as it to say that mental lapses are always preventable.  We are talking about games that take forever, during which there are only a few moments of real action.  They 6-7 times a week for six months--162 games.  The answer is to take uppers/amphetamines, but those are PED's and therefore banned.  When was the last time you wrote about something that went right?  Probably never.  Baseball is a game, and should be fun, at least some of the time.  But you want it to be as joyless and as mechanical as possible.  And this.  Until you show some statistics which confirm your thesis that the Sox simply are not paying attention, I will continue to believe you are just riding your hobby horse and that the Sox are no more or less guilty of mental lapses than any other team.  FWIW, my favorite recent example of a mental lapse was Lester's last start, when he gave up 1 run in I think 7 innings.  It came in the 1st inning on a dinger and occurred on a pitch, a fastball, that Lester basically insisted on.  Saltalamacchia called for a breaking ball (three fingers), and Lester shook him off until he got the fastball sign.  Same thing happened several years ago when Schilling went into the 9th with a no-no.  Tek called for something, and Schilling shook him off until he got the fastball sign, and the hitter hit that pitch tothe opposite field for a line drive single to right.  Yes, guys make mistakes.  But you seem to be some kind of purist who thinks that mistakes should never be tolerated.  Worst you believe that mistakes and only mistakes are worth writing about.   For you the home run heard round the world had nothing to do with Bobby Thompson and everything to do with Ralph Branca. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for making my point.  If there are only a few moments of action in a baseball game, there is that much more time to think about getting it right.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m