methinks its last year of DREW, SALT, NAP and ELLS! agree?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Re: methinks its last year of DREW, SALT, NAP and ELLS! agree?

Can see it happening. Salty and Naps have earned big pay days. Drew, we've got a better SS on the bench. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to proftom2's comment:

Can see it happening. Salty and Naps have earned big pay days. Drew, we've got a better SS on the bench. 

We could bring Drew back and move Bogey to 3B and Middy to 1B, but I doubt it happens.

I put the odds of return like this:

Salty 67% (McCann is too pricey & we can't afford big drop-offs at 2-3 slots.)

Naps 60% (K Morales 20%, M Morse 10%, Morneau 5%, other 5%)

Drew 20% (Not ever Drew and Naps. If Naps signs elsewhere quick, I'd up Drew to 33%)

Ellsbury  10%  (I had him at less than 5% earlier this year.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Disagree.  Cleaning house would be stupid after winning the AL east.  I don't think all four will re-sign, but maybe two.  My guess is Salty and Drew re-sign.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I think Saltalamacchia and Napoli return.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Napoli: "Can I keep growing my beard?"

Cashman: "No, you have to shave it."

Napoli: "..................I'll just resign with the Red Sox."   LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Salty - resigns 3 yr $30M

Naps - resigns 3 yr $45M with two team options yrs at the end of his contract (DH after Papi retires)

Drew - signs with Cardinals

Ells - signs with Mariners

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

If Boston happen to win like 96 to 97 plus games this year, and you think Ben C. would just let all four players to walk away??

Hell no way it is not happening.  Ben C. would try to re-sign all four.  But I strongly believe Ben C. will put these four into an order on which player is the most priority players to return to the team.  I think Ellsbury is the top priority player to resign and Drew is the least priority guy cuz Boston already have Boraerts who is capable to play SS next year.  But if Ben C think Ellsbury is too costly to resign, Napoli and Salty will both be back easily!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

OK with me ......  Change & "TRANSFORMATION" is gooood !!

Even if it's a change for the worse!  Good thinkin' Bill!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

There is no way Lava is the full time catcher.  It really seems like the team is not comfortable with him.  His bat is just not there and the defense is fringy.  The bat needed to carry him, and now scouts like his defense better (that's not a great thing)

The only way Salty walks is if the team is very comfortable with going out and signing McCann.  Personally the reason why I've been saying Salty gets a Q.O. is because that would very likely deter most teams from signing him allowing the Sox to give him a 3 years deal.

At this point Swihart, Vasquez and Butler are probably all ahead of Lavarnway in terms of prospects and odds of being the catcher of the future and Butler and Vasquez are more than likely capable back ups.  The Catching depth is really starting to look good in the system but is still a few years away so Salty stays.

I really think the Sox and Drew are on the same page.  He's a one year man who came in here to build his value as a SS.  The Yankee offered him more money to play 3rd but he took less because he wants to be a SS.  Yes hypothetically we can move WMB to 1st and Boggy to 3rd but is there even an ounce of an indication that the F.O. has any intention of doing that? no.  I think he gets a Q.O. and leaves.

Napoli I think gets a Q.O. and accepts it with a slight chance the team tries to give him a 2 year deal.  I've heard rumblings about Abreau but I keep on hearing reports that he's the kind of hitter that will feast off of bad pitching but doesn't have the bat speed to keep to MLb hitters.  Even if the Sox are high on him and roll the dice, I still think they give Napoli the Q.O. and stuff Abreau in Pawtucket for 1/2 a season to let him adjust to more advanced breaking pitches.

Ellsbury, is getting a Q.O. and more than likely leaving.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ImagydSportsForTwitter's comment:

this team is cleaning house after this year. can see all getting qualifying offers. if they wanna take a 1 year deal, things can b adjusted for them. if not, no prob. Lway takes over for salt, jbj for ells, boegy for drew and carp can b brought back at cheap $ to take over at first with a guy like gomes backing him up there as well as left field. or we can put vic in CF with nav in right. we'll just have to sign a couple of cheap righty part time options as guys in minors get read must focus $ on extending buch and lest after this year. how smart is the extra year on koji, peavy+dempster?

Buch has options til 2017. Lester will probably be extended though.

I would put mmoney on Salty being back. Lavarnway would be a nightmare as a FT catcher. We will lose a ton of production from Ells to JBJ, but besides a respectable offer to Ellsbury I dont think the Sox will break the bank for him.

I think Drew is offered a QO, but signs somewhere else for 3-4 years. Bogey at short. That might be a slight drop off as well.

Naps could be offered an incentive laden deal, which Id have no issue with. But only for a couple years.

I hardly doubt all 4 leave. My guess is 2 of the 4 stay.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

OK with me ......  Change & "TRANSFORMATION" is gooood !!

Sure....they'll win the East and close to 100 games.  Why not change!?  As you so annoingly put it "What difference does it make?"

D U F US!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

this team is cleaning house after this year. can see all getting qualifying offers. if they wanna take a 1 year deal, things can b adjusted for them. if not, no prob. Lway takes over for salt, jbj for ells, boegy for drew and carp can b brought back at cheap $ to take over at first with a guy like gomes backing him up there as well as left field. or we can put vic in CF with nav in right. we'll just have to sign a couple of cheap righty part time options as guys in minors get read must focus $ on extending buch and lest after this year. how smart is the extra year on koji, peavy+dempster?

I would put mmoney on Salty being back. Lavarnway would be a nightmare as a FT catcher. We will lose a ton of production from Ells to JBJ, but besides a respectable offer to Ellsbury I dont think the Sox will break the bank for him.

I think Drew is offered a QO, but signs somewhere else for 3-4 years. Bogey at short. That might be a slight drop off as well.

Naps could be offered an incentive laden deal, which Id have no issue with. But only for a couple years.

Agree 100%.  I think Salty is a no-brainer.  I'd be shocked if Naps goes too.  He's produced and has played great D.  Most teams will be afraid of hip issues and wont offer him a boat load.  I think doubling his gauranteed cash to around 8 per year with incentives to bring it up to 13.5 for each of the next 2 years would get it done.  As for Drew....I would really like to keep him as it gives us a TON of flexibility...especially if Papi retires in a year or two....but I think he'll get a QO and walk.  Ells I'd love to keep as well but I think he'll get priced out of here. 

I would really like to see the Sox go after a big bat via trade to put in LF or RF.  We have a lot of trading chips in the minors......only problem is....BC doesn't have the best track record in trades so I get a bit nervous.  FA signings have been SPOT ON....but trades??....ehhhhh

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'd be much more comfortable trading for a position player than a relief pitcher.  You almost never know what to expect from relief pitchers year to year. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Agree 100%.  I think Salty is a no-brainer.  I'd be shocked if Naps goes too.  He's produced and has played great D.  Most teams will be afraid of hip issues and wont offer him a boat load.  I think doubling his gauranteed cash to around 8 per year with incentives to bring it up to 13.5 for each of the next 2 years would get it done.  As for Drew....I would really like to keep him as it gives us a TON of flexibility...especially if Papi retires in a year or two....but I think he'll get a QO and walk.  Ells I'd love to keep as well but I think he'll get priced out of here. 

I would really like to see the Sox go after a big bat via trade to put in LF or RF.  We have a lot of trading chips in the minors......only problem is....BC doesn't have the best track record in trades so I get a bit nervous.  FA signings have been SPOT ON....but trades??....ehhhhh

Ben have no track record of making a trade?  Did he make a huge trade last year by giving bunch of over-paid players to LA Dodgers?   Also Ben just want to make sure the farm system are loaded than being so thin like the Yankees are right now.   

But who are the the ready talent young player that Ben is thinking of getting him during this coming off season???  Right now most teams are more likely going to keep this young talent especially most teams know most free agents are now getting over-paid, and becoming more worthless to the team than helping the team like Dempster!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slakrking. Show slakrking's posts

I think Salty and Napoli stay @ 4/40 and 2/28 respectively

I also would like to see Drew stay but don't see it happening

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Ben have no track record of making a trade?  Did he make a huge trade last year by giving bunch of over-paid players to LA Dodgers?   Also Ben just want to make sure the farm system are loaded than being so thin like the Yankees are right now.   

But who are the the ready talent young player that Ben is thinking of getting him during this coming off season???  Right now most teams are more likely going to keep this young talent especially most teams know most free agents are now getting over-paid, and becoming more worthless to the team than helping the team like Dempster!!

Thanks for misquoting me.....well done.  I said "BC doesn't have the best track record in trades so I get a bit nervous.  FA signings have been SPOT ON....but trades??....ehhhhh"  I didn't say he has NO track record.  Name one trade since that has been a solid upgrade for the Sox.....  Bailey?? Nope....Hann???Nope....Peavy??...that's a wait and see (hence the 'ehhhhh' in my post).  My post was in regards to trades he MADE....not didn't make.  I figured when I said "track record in TRADES" that would have meant trades...not trades that were not made that we have no clue about.  Reading is your friend...remember that.

As for a player that could be available.  Who the heck knows right now! If you pay attention to Winter Meetings at all you would know that players that you never thought would be available...are made available.  You should know by now that unless your name is Mike Trout that anybody is available for the right price.  We have a deep minor league system with players that are blocked by players ahead of them or already in the Majors.  Wait and see....who knows....other than you of course Mr. All World.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I'd like to re-sign Salty and go hard after Jose Abreu.  If that doesn't work out, I'd sign Napoli to a couple of years.  No on Drew and Ellsbury, unless for some reason they accept the QO.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Salty - resigns 3 yr $30M

Naps - resigns 3 yr $45M with two team options yrs at the end of his contract (DH after Papi retires)

Drew - signs with Cardinals

Ells - signs with Mariners

Are you saying Napoli with a 5yr deal or 2 of the original 3 are options or vesting options? Id rather have a more steady hitter DH'ing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

His trades were for 2 relief pitchers. Thats always more of a gamble. Position players are a bit more predictable I would think.

So far Peavy looks good and filled a huge need for our playoff hopes.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

His trades were for 2 relief pitchers. Thats always more of a gamble. Position players are a bit more predictable I would think.

So far Peavy looks good and filled a huge need for our playoff hopes.

I hear ya South.  I'm just a bit hesitant as I really was not a fan of the RP trades when they happned for that exact reason.  Seemed way too desparate a move when I thought we had plenty of pieces to fill that need ....which was proved as how the season has gone this year. 

As for Peavy I agree.  As you know, Iggy never had me fully convinced as our long term answer at SS and didn't mind giving him up.  With Drew and Bogy around he was expendable and we got a solid #3 pitcher back in return that we also have for next year which I think is VERY key.  Having Peavy also enable us to maybe trade one of the starters (Peavy, Lackey, Demp or Doubie) in the offseason to bring somebody in with a power bat should one be made available.

.......still hesitant on trades though.....not gonna lie!  ;-)

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

With Victorino and Bradley and Nava and a good 50 million to spend on the outfield and still save 30 to 50M over the next 4 for 5 years if Ellsbury isn't given a market FA contract, 30 year old fragile and far inferior value Ellsbury is and should be gone. 

Ellsbury will have a big enough market from NL to where he will turn down the QO, so it should be made, with only a big contract bluff if other AL teams are likely top bidders.

Drew is gone as there are tons of adequate alternatives to paying a lot of money to Drew in the plentiful  lower cost 1st basemen market, which includes Napoli.

I have my doubts whether Drew will turn down a QO because of his market, so unless that's clear and it's almost certain Drew will turn down the QO then he should not get one. It's early, but unless something changes then I wouldn't make him a QO because I don't think is market is strong enough to where he turns it down and I see no value reason to bring him back for a 2nd bad value and fit move. Moving people around Drew and trying to shop Drew's contract in the trade market isn't what I consider a good move at all. I think the Red Sox would have to eat most of that contract to trade it, and Drew aint getting any better for 2014 on the QO front. I hope I'm wrong and Drew's market is good enough and he turns down a QO that is made.

I think Napoli's 2013 performance has solid, so I think he has the market to get a 2 or 3 year deal and about 25 to 35M guaranteed. While it would be great to have Napoli's 2013 performance back for another year or two, his age and work history make it obvious that the QO should be made instead of a market offer. The alternatives on the market and internally, while perhaps a drop off from Napoli 2013, is a much better value move over the next few years of Napoli's contract. With the draft compensation that is a virtual certainty, it makes more sense to sign Youk to a one year retirement year to platoon and plan on moving Middlebrooks over by 2015, or, if the market is right, offer the slightly younger and more durable and true switch hitting Morales a 3 or 4 year deal in the 50M guarantee area and have Ortiz's replacement already in place.

The Red Sox have a solid defensive catcher prospect who is likely just a year or two away, and Salty has flexibility value as a 1B/C over a 3 or 4 year deal. I would go internal with Lavarnway and, if Morales can't be obtained at a reasonable market rate, offer Salty a market 3 or 4 year deal that guarantees about 30 to 40 million. If Morales can be obtained at a reasonable market rate, I would offer Salty a 2 year deal that guarantees about 20 to 25M.

I think Salty will and should be retained, but not as the long term starting catcher but as the 1B/DH/C split role.

Ehhh......I stopped reading at "With"......

Sections
Shortcuts