methinks its last year of DREW, SALT, NAP and ELLS! agree?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: methinks its last year of DREW, SALT, NAP and ELLS! agree?

With Victorino and Bradley and Nava and a good 50 million to spend on the outfield and still save 30 to 50M over the next 4 for 5 years if Ellsbury isn't given a market FA contract, 30 year old fragile and far inferior value Ellsbury is and should be gone. 

After all the arbs, we will have about $35M to spend.

We will need at least 3 players.

We will need a catcher (Salty/McCann?) , and OF'er (Ellsbury/Pence/Choo?) and a corner IF'er of SS, if we move Bogey to 3B and Middy to 1B (Napoli/Drew/K Morales?). 

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

Kingface0007, have you stopped reading all the comments that Ellsbury has played his last game for the Red Sox. The broken foot may be out of the boot, but are you worried that he may only play fantasy baseball for the Red Sox and will sign a FA contract to play for another team who bids higher than the Red Sox.

BTW, how much do you want the Red Sox to budget to make sure they keep Ellsbury? 100M? 150M?

Those aren't questions. 

Hey Softy,

Let's make a bet since you bailed on the last one.....I bet you $50 payed via Paypal that Ells has not played his last game for the Sox.  Pretty simple and straight forward..He doesn't play this season or in the postseason then  I send you $50....he does play this season or post season then you give me $50. Deal kiddo??  Yay or Nay?

As for Ells.....I said multiple times that I would like them to re-sign him however I doubt that would or should happen since he will be way too expensive.  Pretty simple to understand....and I didn't need to write a useless novel to share my opinion... cool concept huh?

As for 'fantasy' stuff.....I really don't do that garbage and please never talk about fantasy...it's AWKWAAAAAARD!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Salty - resigns 3 yr $30M

Naps - resigns 3 yr $45M with two team options yrs at the end of his contract (DH after Papi retires)

Drew - signs with Cardinals

Ells - signs with Mariners

I agree with you--Ells will sign with Seattle and Drew will sign with the Cardinals.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

there is no quandry - offer him 15/2 and if that doesnt "qualify" then let him walk...

As always - 100% correct!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Does softy really seem like the kinda guy who makes good on his bets.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i think salty will be brought back, drew will walk and we get a pick, napoli to me is too much of a risk on a multi year deal, i would rather sign jose abreu who is 26 and has big time potential to mash or kendrys morales who is a few years younger and is a switch hitter and can also play outfield. ellsbury is 50/50 at this point. I think the sox would like to bring him back, but with all the injuries its risky offering him a long term deal. no way he should be getting a  carl crawford type contract. i would sign him for say 4 years at 12-15 per. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

i think salty will be brought back, drew will walk and we get a pick, napoli to me is too much of a risk on a multi year deal, i would rather sign jose abreu who is 26 and has big time potential to mash or kendrys morales who is a few years younger and is a switch hitter and can also play outfield. ellsbury is 50/50 at this point. I think the sox would like to bring him back, but with all the injuries its risky offering him a long term deal. no way he should be getting a  carl crawford type contract. i would sign him for say 4 years at 12-15 per. 

really? I think Ellsbury is the prototypical guy you offer a Q.O. on.  I would absolutely 100% love to have Jacoby Ellsbury on this team.  I'm not advocating for his signing and hoping for it because I know that there is a good chance it won't happen and that contract is going to kill a team.  But if we could get him back for one year at 14 million? anyone would do that in a heartbeat. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Right now the Sox sure look to have three pretty good infielders coming back--Pedroia, Middlebrooks, and Bogaerts.  So it doesn't make sent to pay significant dollars for both Drew and Napoli.  I prefer Drew, but agree Napoli has had a good season and maybe has the hip cured or in remission. 

I don't particularly like Saltalamacchia, but agree he should be re-signed. 

I do think Ellsbury is a quality player, but doubt he can be retained for, say, $90 over six years, and I don't think he is worth more than that and might be worth less. 

So the Sox will need to get another outfielder, hopefully a good one, and preferably one who can play CF because Vic is at his best in RF and Bradley is hitting like someone who prefers AAA to MLB.  That could change of course, but the Sox have to make a decision this winter, and I do not believe they have Bradley pencilled in for CF.  A year ago Iglesias was supposed to be the next SS, and the Sox went after Drew, but for a one year contract.  It worked. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Sox will bring someone in on a flier who can compete for JBJ next year if he isn't ready in hopes that at some point JBJ is ready if he doesn't win the position out of spring training. 

yes the Sox have 3 good infielders coming back, I'd argue they have 4 pretty good infielder coming back. Unfortunately you need 5 infielders, there are not any guys in free agency that are clearly better than Napoli, so why sign someone to a multi year deal when you can be committed for one?  That's why you at least extend a Q.O. to Napoli.  He's not good enough to earn 14 million per year for a multi year deal but for one year????? sign me up. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Does softy really seem like the kinda guy who makes good on his bets.  

Nope....not even a little bit.  but he knows im good for it which is the funnt part. Sometimes though its fun to bring out something tangible in front of him to watch him squirm and come up with lame excuses to expose him for what he really is.......a fraud.  

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

there is no quandry - offer him 15/2 and if that doesnt "qualify" then let him walk...

As always - 100% correct!

Usually when someone puts 15/2, they mean $7.5M per year for 2 years. I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant. It should read $15M x 2 or $30M/2. Those will certainly be qualifying offers. 

Sections
Shortcuts