Mets Shopping for a Franchise Player

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: Mets Shopping for a Franchise Player

I don't think the Mets are that far away.  Santana comes off the books this year as well, and a rotation of Harvey, Gee, Wheeler & Mejia (soon Syndergard) could rival the Nats and Braves.  A guy like Ellsbury is a good fit, provided he can stay healthy - big outfield; speed on the basepaths; big enough name and marketable enough to bring fans through the gate.  It makes a lot of sense.  Provided he can stay healthy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Right - stay healthy.  And understand his days of 60+ steals are over.  Granted a .295 hitter w/ 40 Swipes and solid CF D is still very valuable.......But the Mets are a mess.  They'd be wise to stay away from the F/A market this year, fix what they can internally in 2014, and then make a run for the playoffs in 2015 by dipping into the FA market.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

There might not be any Ellsburys on the FA market in 2015.  If I were the Mets, I'd sign Ellsbury, Drew & go after Jose Abreu this winter.  That could be  .600 - .700 OPS swing right there.  Probably not enough to contend in 2014, but they would still have enough cash to fill in holes next winter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Mets let the oft-injured Reyes walk. I think they may have learned their lesson on gambling on health to be competitive.

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

The Mets let the oft-injured Reyes walk. I think they may have learned their lesson on gambling on health to be competitive.

Sox4ever

Maybe, but they were a lot further away at the time.  It's hard to justify throwing big money at Reyes with no plan for becoming competitive. Now they have a pretty solid foundation for spending some money.  If they stand pat, they will be about 4th from the bottom in Payroll next year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

[QUOTE]

Mets will be after Ellsbury, among a few other NL teams that include the Giants. I find it less likely that an AL GM falls for the Ellsbury big contract scam. They are familiar with him and his career OPS and work attendance history and age. Better fit in NL rules.

Maybe they might be interested in a trade for the 13MIL  D H  / FIRST BASEMAN !!

[/QUOTE]

Lavarnway???

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Sox4ever

Are you comparing Reyes' nagging hamstring and other nagging issues to Jakes 2/3 collisions? Theres a big difference in being injury prone and what Ells' has gone through. BIG difference.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I don't know what the Met's financial position is but I am amazed their payroll was only like 80 mil this year...You'd think they could increase payroll by 50%.......But I know Citi Field has not been kind to their bottom line......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Softcasm is back.  It's a strange form of sarcasm that only Softlaw himself actually uses. 

soft·casm  (softkzm)

n. 1.  An unfunny form of alleged wit that is marked by the use of utterly transparent language and while intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule it simply exposes the user as a fool.[/QUOTE]

Exactly...well done.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Sox4ever

Are you comparing Reyes' nagging hamstring and other nagging issues to Jakes 2/3 collisions? Theres a big difference in being injury prone and what Ells' has gone through. BIG difference.

Yes, I am comparing the two, and as I noted before the collision with Beltre was not freak luck. Ellsbury failed to call off Beltre and still never calls off anyone. He's an accident waiting to happen.

The fact is, Ellsbury has missed a lot of time. Perhaps, some GM will look beyond that and jusge it was just bad luck. My guess is most GM will take some money off their offers based on the injury risk factor.

I'm not sure what the Mets GM will be thinking, but he certainly knows what it's like to have money tied up in oft-injured players. (Reyes, Santana...)

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Sox4ever

Yes, I am comparing the two, and as I noted before the collision with Beltre was not freak luck. Ellsbury failed to call off Beltre and still never calls off anyone. He's an accident waiting to happen.

The fact is, Ellsbury has missed a lot of time. Perhaps, some GM will look beyond that and jusge it was just bad luck. My guess is most GM will take some money off their offers based on the injury risk factor.

I'm not sure what the Mets GM will be thinking, but he certainly knows what it's like to have money tied up in oft-injured players. (Reyes, Santana...)

Thanks. I agree 100%. You explained what I think about Ellsbury's time missed due to injury better than I have.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

In response to stan17's comment:

Ells going to the Mets makes a lot of sense.

They just got rid of Jason Bay - Ells would be a big risk for them.  But I'd expect nothing less from the Mets to offer him 7/142..........

The Mets have to do something, they've become completely irrelevant. Is giving him a big deal a risk sure. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

I don't know what the Met's financial position is but I am amazed their payroll was only like 80 mil this year...You'd think they could increase payroll by 50%.......But I know Citi Field has not been kind to their bottom line......

They stood idly and watched Minaya burn the place down.  My friends that are NYMs fans didn't even react when they signed Bay.  They just kind of shrugged their shoulders and knew it was blatantly stupid.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

I don't think the Mets are that far away.  Santana comes off the books this year as well, and a rotation of Harvey, Gee, Wheeler & Mejia (soon Syndergard) could rival the Nats and Braves.  A guy like Ellsbury is a good fit, provided he can stay healthy - big outfield; speed on the basepaths; big enough name and marketable enough to bring fans through the gate.  It makes a lot of sense.  Provided he can stay healthy.

I agree on the NYMs, assuming health on Harvey's part.  Gee, Harvey, Hefner, Niese and Wheeler are all 27 or Younger, they have Syndergaard in the minors, and Mejia recovering from injuries.  Their rotation should be excellent.  Wright's an excellent starting point, and Davis has done well since he returned from the minors.  And their 2 weakest offensive positions are catcher and SS, with a 69 and 72 sOPS.  And their leadoff position had a ridiculous .293 OBP.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Now hold on here......I thought David Wright was their franchise player?

That contract is going to haunt them sooner than later........

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Theres a big difference in being injury prone and what Ells' has gone through. BIG difference.

Explain the difference.

Iglesias is starting to look a little injury-prone himself.  He's been out for several games now after getting hit in the hand by a pitch.  This is already the third time since joining the Tigers that he's had to miss time.  Once these injuries start they never seem to stop.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I'd rather the Mets get Ellsbury than Yankees. They'll just fill him full of steroids, he'll never be injured and will probably wind up smacking 100 hrs against us.

I'm in the camp of keeping Drew because I think he's a really smart player, and knows what he's doing out there. He makes the infield stronger IMO and has great discipline at the plate. It also doesn't hurt that he's a great clutch hitter -- no small feat -- and he's been responsible for tying and/or giving us the lead in games we really needed it. I will hate to see him go.

Btw, getting hit with a pitch on your hand shouldn't count as "injury prone". Pitchers should stop hitting batters on the hands when you could easily break something and be out the whole season.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Several games and day to day status is out about a year, for Ellsbury. Let's not go there. Iglesias is going to play about 109 games, despite being absurdly demoted to the minors to make way for Ellsbury's prima donna 10M sidekick, S. Drew.

I don't much care how much Iggy is out now; he is no longer a Red Sox. Ellsbury DOES miss a lot of time. Thats a fact, whatever the reason is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Well if he signs with the Mets it will be three years after Softy said he'd be a 9 hitter in the NL and he'll be making 16+ million, not the AAAA salary Softy predicted.

As always that racist hateful blowbag was WRONG when it came to Ellsbury

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Wow. Just found out Boras is Drew's manager as well. Why do we keep getting these players with the worst agent in MLB? I guess we can say goodbye to Ellsbury and Drew. At least they'll leave here on a winning season. I appreciate their contribution here.

And yes, Boras is probably going to get you the best deal, but, I believe, some of these players would probably just want a good deal in a good home. I don't believe they like all the bouncing around for themselves and their families.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I'm not sure I completely understand why it's entirely Ellsbury's fault for getting hurt because he didn't call Beltre off.  Did Beltre call Ellsbury off and Ellsbury ignore it?  What it tells me is that there were two guys going for the same ball and neither of them was sure they could get to it.  Instead they both went for it and as a result one of them got hurt.  Do we now not want players to call for a ball unless they're POSITIVE they can get it - and instead pull up and let it drop?  Isn't this the "dirt dog" mentality we profess to like?  Or do we stop liking it when someone gets hurt and instead blame the person who's hurt?

And even if I "buy into" your arguement for Beltre, (which I don't) what about the collision with Brigniac?  Is there some way we can blame Ells for that?  Ells went sliding into 2B to break up a DP, Brigniac was making the play, and in the process Brigniac landed on Ellsbury separating his shoulder.  Is that one somehow Ellsbury's fault too?

Ellsbury has played in 90% of the games in which he was eligible, other than the two years when he had the freak serious injuries.  It's not like the guy has been out with a hammy now, a bump then, and a hangnail later.  The guy has PLAYED.

Ellsbury has been a walking highlight film and now some people can't wait to disparage him.  "The evil that men do lives after them.  The good is oft interred with their bones.  So let it be with {Ellsbury}".   

Sections
Shortcuts