Mets Shopping for a Franchise Player

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Re: Mets Shopping for a Franchise Player

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

I don't know what the Met's financial position is but I am amazed their payroll was only like 80 mil this year...You'd think they could increase payroll by 50%.......But I know Citi Field has not been kind to their bottom line......

Through last offseason their horrible owners were stuck in the middle of the Madoff scheme trials. There was a real posibility that they would lose ALL their cash. They got through it and now have promised to be big spenders in the offseason. I think they would have been a much better team this year if they had signed Bourne. It seemed like Murphy and Wright would constantly get hits, but there would never be anyone on in front of them. They had a lot of one run games in the first half that they would have been winning if there had been someone to set the table. Jacoby would be very good in that role..but they also have a really good kid playing CF in Lagares. Will that kid be enough of a hitter to play the corner spots? I don't know, but that would be a good outfield combo defensively.

Drew I think is a no brainer for anyone needing a SS out there. The Sox really lucked out with him, getting him after a big injury, and the Mets have a deep hole there. That would give you a pretty solid core of a lineup in Wright, Jacoby, Murph, Drew, and Lagares. Maybe Ike stays good, maybe not. And they really need to go out and get a solid corner OF. The good thing is, they have a bunch of parts and pieces who are young. You've got the AAAA players like Duda, Tejada and Ike...young pitchers in Syndergaard and Mejia...and a vet in Niese. They might have enough to trade for a really good young OF (they want Stanton or Gonzalez) depending on how much value teams see in those other pitchers.

Either way, they have a lot of options, including pilfering some Sox, and have money that they HAVE to spend.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Maybe the better approach for the Mets is to go after some Yankee players.  If they could swoop in and get Kuroda and one of Granderson or Cano, to go along with a very good young pitching staff, that could get a lot of new fans through the door.  The Mets might be the more interesting NY team over the next few years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to jgallag1's comment:

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

I don't know what the Met's financial position is but I am amazed their payroll was only like 80 mil this year...You'd think they could increase payroll by 50%.......But I know Citi Field has not been kind to their bottom line......

Through last offseason their horrible owners were stuck in the middle of the Madoff scheme trials. There was a real posibility that they would lose ALL their cash. They got through it and now have promised to be big spenders in the offseason. I think they would have been a much better team this year if they had signed Bourne. It seemed like Murphy and Wright would constantly get hits, but there would never be anyone on in front of them. They had a lot of one run games in the first half that they would have been winning if there had been someone to set the table. Jacoby would be very good in that role..but they also have a really good kid playing CF in Lagares. Will that kid be enough of a hitter to play the corner spots? I don't know, but that would be a good outfield combo defensively.

Drew I think is a no brainer for anyone needing a SS out there. The Sox really lucked out with him, getting him after a big injury, and the Mets have a deep hole there. That would give you a pretty solid core of a lineup in Wright, Jacoby, Murph, Drew, and Lagares. Maybe Ike stays good, maybe not. And they really need to go out and get a solid corner OF. The good thing is, they have a bunch of parts and pieces who are young. You've got the AAAA players like Duda, Tejada and Ike...young pitchers in Syndergaard and Mejia...and a vet in Niese. They might have enough to trade for a really good young OF (they want Stanton or Gonzalez) depending on how much value teams see in those other pitchers.

Either way, they have a lot of options, including pilfering some Sox, and have money that they HAVE to spend.

interesting

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Maybe the better approach for the Mets is to go after some Yankee players.  If they could swoop in and get Kuroda and one of Granderson or Cano, to go along with a very good young pitching staff, that could get a lot of new fans through the door.  The Mets might be the more interesting NY team over the next few years.

the time to do that would be NOW!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

I hope the Mets play well enough this final week to make their 1st round pick unprotected

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to vtfanofcs' comment:

I hope the Mets play well enough this final week to make their 1st round pick unprotected

It doesn't work that way anymore - we would get a first-round sandwich pick either way.

Sections
Shortcuts