Mets Want 'Top Prospect' in Exchange for Carlos Beltran, Won't Settle for Salary Dump -What would you offer Mets?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Mets Want 'Top Prospect' in Exchange for Carlos Beltran, Won't Settle for Salary Dump -What would you offer Mets?

by Michael Hurley/NESN
    If the Francisco Rodriguez trade got you thinking that the Mets might be willing to shed salary without receiving much in return this summer, think again. At least for now.

The Mets traded their closer (along with his $5 million price tag for the rest of the season and at least his $3.5 million buyout for next season) to the Brewers for two players to be named later. It was, essentially, a salary dump for a team in Queens that needed one.

That won't be the case with Carlos Beltran, though, as ESPN's Buster Olney reported Thursday morning that the Mets won't be willing to part ways with the outfielder unless they receive a top prospect in return.

"The Mets believe they have the best available outfielder in a mediocre market for offensive players, and are aiming to land a top prospect -- and they have indicated that they will keep the slugger until they get exactly what they want," Olney wrote. "A major hurdle will be how much of the money still owed to Beltran -- about $8 million, at this point -- will be paid off by the Mets."

Beltran is a free agent-to-be, and he's batting .285 with 13 homers, 58 RBIs and an .880 OPS in 89 games. At 34 years old, he will be motivated to perform in the second half of the season (and perhaps the postseason) in order to earn one last big payday. The Mets know that, so they won't be in a hurry to accept the first offer that comes their way. Olney listed the Red Sox, Giants, Tigers, Indians, Rays and Braves as just some of the potential teams that might be willing to add the switch hitter.

"The Mets have let it be known to other teams: Beltran will cost you, and if you don't want to say yes to our demands, we believe some other team will, and we will wait for that moment," Olney wrote.

Of course, as July 31 draws nearer, and the prospect of paying Beltran's remaining salary becomes more of a possibility for the Mets, the price could (and likely will) go down. For now, though, it looks like any Beltran deal will come closer to the end of the month, as the Mets weigh their options.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from The---Babe-. Show The---Babe-'s posts

Re: Mets Want 'Top Prospect' in Exchange for Carlos Beltran, Won't Settle for Salary Dump -What would you offer Mets?

Mets Want 'Top Prospect' 

Guess that leaves the red flops and their barren farm system out of it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Re: Mets Want 'Top Prospect' in Exchange for Carlos Beltran, Won't Settle for Salary Dump -What would you offer Mets?

The Mets also believe in the Easter Bunny and that Ponzi schemes are a swell idea.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Depends. Is Beltran going to swing at strike 3 or watch it go by?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pissttt. Show pissttt's posts

NOTHING!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'd offer the Mets the Detroit Tigers phone number.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Boy, I see some smart potential GMs in this thread!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Depends on what the Mets consider "top prospect"  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Softy, Frank or Babe...well actually all three of them.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from allancrain. Show allancrain's posts

Yet another lavishly overpaid Boras client (one great postseason).  Not exactly the team player we need/want on this team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Manny's second half, after his trade, shows what a motivated player is capable of doing for that next big contract. Unfortunately Beltran ain't Manny !! I would be a little concerned however if the Rays somehow landed him !! LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Mets Want 'Top Prospect' in Exchange for Carlos Beltran, Won't Settle for Salary Dump -What would you offer Mets?:
    [QUOTE]Softy, Frank or Babe...well actually all three of them.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Top notch

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

A top prospect for an over the hill, overpriced, overrated rental player?
    PASS!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Nice avatar mrmojo!!!   Fantastic album.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Mets wanting a top prospect for Beltran???? thats almost as funny as people thinking we could get valuable prospects for J.D. Drew

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

A bag of balls and a personal IOU from Bernie Madoff to replace the money he stole.

What are the chances that he isn't good for it?

Meh! So-so at best!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

The Mets continue to hallucinate and deceive themselves about the worth of their players,especially their older,overpaid,injury prone and over hyped veterans.Beltran is a free agent after this season so basically he is a half season rental(assuming he manages to stay on the field for a full half season.If they get more than one or two mid - level prospects I'd be on the phone to that club as soon as I heard that some team,living in a dream world of their own,actually parted with a top prospect for Beltran and try to unload the unwashed and unwanted on my club.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wherescreamingcomesfrom. Show wherescreamingcomesfrom's posts

This might actually not be a bad idea, particularly considering this:

http://soxblog.projo.com/2011/07/40-man-logjam-m.html

If we really do have too many prospects to keep on the 40 man roster, better to let a few go for a serious run at the series this year than to lose them in the rule 5 draft.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I'd offer them Softy and The Babe, and if they thought that was too light a lineup, I'd throw in Burrito. Surely that would be enough to bring in Beltran! I'd remind them that Softy can play multiple positions with his many new identities and aliases, a true "five tooler." I couldn't throw Bosox in, in the end he thrives with Francona's managing. The two need each other.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: Mets Want 'Top Prospect' in Exchange for Carlos Beltran, Won't Settle for Salary Dump -What would you offer Mets?:
    [QUOTE]The Mets wanting a top prospect for Beltran???? thats almost as funny as people thinking we could get valuable prospects for J.D. Drew
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

although i'd say no to trading for beltran, he is a much better player than nancy or, as i like to call him, THEO'S FOLLY.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox4life2280. Show sox4life2280's posts

Here is why Carlos Beltran will be a member of the BoSox by the trade deadline......

#1 - Beltran has a full no trade clause in his contract....he and his agent (Scott Boras) will pick exactly where they want him to go.  No matter what a team offers the Mets, Beltran will pick his new team

#2 - Beltran wants the chance to win and shine in the playoffs...the 2 teams that can ensure that are the Giants and the BoSox.  The Giants will expect Carlos to bat 3, 4, or 5 and put up power numbers and help carry the team.  The chance for failure is too great in San Fran and that will effect what kind of contract he gets on the open market.  Boston is safe...he will be batting 7 or 8.  And if he only hits .260 with 10 homeruns it will be successful.

#3 - The Mets HAVE  to trade Beltran....he has a stipulation in his contract that says the Mets cannot offer Carlos salary arbitration...which means if they do not trade him, they will NOT receive any draft picks for him when he signs elsewhere. 

It will probably go down like this.....the sox will offer a low-level and a mid-level prospect and cash....the sox will get beltran, but they will force him to allow them offer salary arbitration so they will get 2 draft picks for him.  Its actually a pretty good short term investment for the Sox considering they are getting nothing from RF, and who knows who they could draft with those 2 picks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

i would only offer two low range prospects for beltran.  any more than that and i think that he (with his big salary) is not worth the effort.  i would doubt that he is going to win any more  games than reddick will as a right fielder.

sox4life makes some great points, but i am not sure that beltran will alter his contract so that the sox can get any extra draft picks.  and, if they offer him arbitration they may find him in a sox uniform again next year and i would say that  the red sox will not want to pay a 39 year old outfielder 15-18 M in 2012.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

2 words......           HUNTER PENCE!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

Trade Drew & Darnell.  They pay Beltran's balance, we pay Drew's balance.

2 for 1.

Sections
Shortcuts