Mets Want 'Top Prospect' in Exchange for Carlos Beltran, Won't Settle for Salary Dump -What would you offer Mets?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkny2003. Show hawkny2003's posts

Re: Mets Want 'Top Prospect' in Exchange for Carlos Beltran, Won't Settle for Salary Dump -What would you offer Mets?

"Finding" a RF'er for the second half run to the playoffs is another of these fool's errands created by the Boston sports media.  The Sox have already resolved their RF dilemma by s**t canning the over paid, over-the-hill, Mikey Cameron.  Theo/Francona are going to go as far as they can in the remaining 72 regular season games with Crawford, Ellsbury and Reddick as the regular starters with Drew and McDonald as fill-ins.  This makes sense as defensively, as the latter two, can play all three OF positions.  Once Crawford gets untracked, this OF tandem will generate as much on-the-field offense and defense as any OF tandem in the American League.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

Re: Mets Want 'Top Prospect' in Exchange for Carlos Beltran, Won't Settle for Salary Dump -What would you offer Mets?

If they want a "Top Prospect" that leaves the red flops and their barren farm system out of it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

The Sox have the prospects to do it.....I just can't imagine them giving up a Raunado or a Iglesias to do so. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

Pftt. This is easy. Trade Reddick (Beltran replaces him) and Lars Anderson (First base is essentially blocked for the next 8 years) for Beltran. If Kalish isn't ready in 2012 due to missed development time this year, sign Beltran to a 1 year deal worth $8,000,000. Make sure that Beltran doesn't put in another clause stating that he cannot be offered arbitration. Then offer Beltran arbitration, take the picks, and make Kalish the right fielder in 2013. If Kalish is ready in 2012, dump Beltran.
     Now, each player on the bench has a role:
     VTek: Platoon with Salty
     Navarro: Utility player
     DMac: Give Crawford occasional rest versus lefties, but don't make it a full blown platoon.
     Drew: Backup outfielder and pinch runner.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenMonster1964. Show GreenMonster1964's posts

Any agreement about arbitration would have to include a gaurantee that Beltran will decline the offer.  This type of thing has been done in the past, not sure with who but Felipe Lopez comes to mind.

Sox4Life has made some excellent points, and I agree Beltran will be traded and the return will not be anywhere close to what the Mets are asking for.  If the Sox are interested, I would try to do Drew/Mid-Level Prospect for Beltran.  This gives the Mets some marginal salary relief for 2011 and a modest prospect for the future that they wouldn't have if the hold onto Beltran.  Nobody is picking up his full salary so $2M-$3M might be the best the Mets can do.  The arbitration twist is something I hadn't thought of, but if it happens it could result in a better prospect or some cash included.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

In Response to Re: Mets Want 'Top Prospect' in Exchange for Carlos Beltran, Won't Settle for Salary Dump -What would you offer Mets?:
    [QUOTE]Any agreement about arbitration would have to include a gaurantee that Beltran will decline the offer.  This type of thing has been done in the past, not sure with who but Felipe Lopez comes to mind. Sox4Life has made some excellent points, and I agree Beltran will be traded and the return will not be anywhere close to what the Mets are asking for.  If the Sox are interested, I would try to do Drew/Mid-Level Prospect for Beltran.  This gives the Mets some marginal salary relief for 2011 and a modest prospect for the future that they wouldn't have if the hold onto Beltran.  Nobody is picking up his full salary so $2M-$3M might be the best the Mets can do.  The arbitration twist is something I hadn't thought of, but if it happens it could result in a better prospect or some cash included.

Posted by GreenMonster1964[/QUOTE]

Silly, the mets are not taking drew. That's just stupid.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenMonster1964. Show GreenMonster1964's posts

In Response to Re: Mets Want 'Top Prospect' in Exchange for Carlos Beltran, Won't Settle for Salary Dump -What would you offer Mets?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mets Want 'Top Prospect' in Exchange for Carlos Beltran, Won't Settle for Salary Dump -What would you offer Mets? : Silly, the mets are not taking drew. That's just stupid.
    Posted by The--Babe--[/QUOTE]

The difference in Beltrans and Drews salary represents a $3M savings for the remainder of 2011,  and he walks at the end of the year.......Why is saving $3M stupid?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

[QUOTE]The Sox have the prospects to do it.....I just can't imagine them giving up a Raunado or a Iglesias to do so. 

Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

No, they don't have the prospects. If they traded raunado and iglesias they would have almost nothing in the farm system.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mr.Bump. Show Mr.Bump's posts

Gordon Edes
    Yes Sox have talked to Mets re Carlos Beltran but just doing due diligence according to club official

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mets Want 'Top Prospect' in Exchange for Carlos Beltran, Won't Settle for Salary Dump -What would you offer Mets? : Silly, the mets are not taking drew. That's just stupid.
    Posted by The--Babe--[/QUOTE]

It's stupid to think ANYONE will take beltrans full salary.  This is really a matter of finding the right balance of salary saved versus prospect recieved for the mets.  If they ONLY save 3 million, they would expect a better return than if they saved say 6 million.  Now lets assume they were happy with a $3m savings and Reddick and a class A pitcher.  That would require them to pay all but $3m of his salary.    Which do you think they would prefer to do, pay someone the cash and get only the prospects in return, or take on the salry of a drew, in the last year of his contract, and pay no cash.  At least with Drew they have the chance of him performing with a fresh start.  The cash they paid out would produce nothing.

Now the sox could flip that around and paydown a portion of Drews salary rather than pay a high price in prospects.  Every $1m they pay is a direct $1m salvings to the mets.  I don't see how the mets would balk at a Reddick/Kalish plus Drew plus Anderson trade.  They save $3m plus 2 decent prospects?  Beyond that it is a cash negotiation.  I'd rather keep reddick and add a lower level prospect and more cash to the deal, but it is not my money....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

A top prospect, eh?

How about I squeeze out a steamer in Minaya's hand and he thanks me for it?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

[QUOTE]A top prospect, eh? How about I squeeze out a steamer in Minaya's hand and he thanks me for it?

Posted by cglassanos[/QUOTE]

That's great....aside from the fact that minaya is not the GM anymore.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Give the Mets Lowrie.   They need a utility infielder who gets hurt everytime he pulls his pants up.  Let's do the deal.   Then we can watch Beltran get hurt putting his Sox shirt on at the press conference.  

If the Sox fail or fade this year, it will be again due to injuries.   Is Beltran really a stable solution, even for half a year?  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from The--Babe--. Show The--Babe--'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mets Want 'Top Prospect' in Exchange for Carlos Beltran, Won't Settle for Salary Dump -What would you offer Mets? : The difference in Beltrans and Drews salary represents a $3M savings for the remainder of 2011,  and he walks at the end of the year.......Why is saving $3M stupid?

Because they will probably get better offers that will save more than $3M. Not to mention that drew hardly qualifies as a "top prospect". Dude couldn't hit water if he jumped out of a boat, why would the mets want him?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I'd offer the mutts crabcakes and icewater.......we don't need beltran.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

including reddick in a trade for half a year of beltran is foolish at this point in time.
    i am not sure that i would trade reddick straight up for beltran right now. reddick is 24, is under team control for at least a few years and is blossoming as a complete outfielder with versatility as we watch.  beltran is a half year rental, is 38 years old, will likely bring back no draft picks and has a terrible medical history.

sending them drew and anderson would be alright for the red sox, but i can't see why the mets would want drew in the deal.  lowrie could be traded, but he will not be healthy enough before the trading dead line if he cannot even yet pick up a bat.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]including reddick in a trade for half a year of beltran is foolish at this point in time. i am not sure that i would trade reddick straight up for beltran right now. reddick is 24, is under team control for at least a few years and is blossoming as a complete outfielder with versatility as we watch.  beltran is a half year rental, is 38 years old, will likely bring back no draft picks and has a terrible medical history. sending them drew and anderson would be alright for the red sox, but i can't see why the mets would want drew in the deal.  lowrie could be traded, but he will not be healthy enough before the trading dead line if he cannot even yet pick up a bat. beltran is a bit youger than 38, and in spite of his injuries; is widely considered one of the best free agent signings the mets have ever made. 
    Posted by therimrattler[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

[QUOTE]including reddick in a trade for half a year of beltran is foolish at this point in time. i am not sure that i would trade reddick straight up for beltran right now. reddick is 24, is under team control for at least a few years and is blossoming as a complete outfielder with versatility as we watch.  beltran is a half year rental, is 38 years old, will likely bring back no draft picks and has a terrible medical history. sending them drew and anderson would be alright for the red sox, but i can't see why the mets would want drew in the deal.  lowrie could be traded, but he will not be healthy enough before the trading dead line if he cannot even yet pick up a bat.
    Posted by therimrattler[/QUOTE]
    beltran is a bit youger than 38, and in spite of his injuries; is widely considered one of the best free agent signings the mets have ever made. 
    Posted by therimrattler

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Beltran is a rental... I wouldn't even discuss a trade including one of our top five prospects.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

How about a top prospect OF ?

Boston should get Beltran and extend him at lower dollars!

GO RED SOX!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

I see him going to the Gaints who have some decent prospects to offer...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

we still have 2 weeks untill the deadline?  I say we give the position to Reddick full time for the next two weeks and see what he can do.  If he comes back down to earth and then some, maybe we go out and get a RH RF, if he comes back down to earth but is still putting up some decent numbers.....I say keep Reddick and don't trade for anything. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mets Want 'Top Prospect' in Exchange for Carlos Beltran, Won't Settle for Salary Dump -What would you offer Mets? : The difference in Beltrans and Drews salary represents a $3M savings for the remainder of 2011,  and he walks at the end of the year.......Why is saving $3M stupid?

because, other than theo, nobody wants drew.

Sections
Shortcuts