Michael Cuddyer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: Michael Cuddyer

In Response to Re: Michael Cuddyer:
    Spending big on an aging RF'er is not even close to our top priority. We have about $25M to spend and have more pressing needs. I put RF as our 7th or 8th top priority... 1) Starter #4 2) Closer 3) Starer #5 4) DH (unless you have more faith in Lava than one of kalish/Reddick) 5) Starter #6 6) Set-up relief 7) Catcher 8) RH'd OF'er
    Posted by moonslav59

Llike your post...but #6 starter will easily go to one of the rookie or young pitcher such as Tawaza, Droubmont, Wieland, etc.

If the Sox find #4/#5 starters and a closer along with #6 belong to one of the pitcher above, then the roster is all set for now. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Spending big on an aging RF'er is not even close to our top priority. We have about $25M to spend and have more pressing needs. I put RF as our 7th or 8th top priority... 1) Starter #4 2) Closer 3) Starer #5 4) DH (unless you have more faith in Lava than one of kalish/Reddick) 5) Starter #6 6) Set-up relief 7) Catcher 8) RH'd OF'er
    Posted by moonslav59

My list is a little different...

1) Proven middle of the rotation starter
    2) Proven run producing bat to hit 5th (Ortiz? or a replacement bat)
    3) A big armed late innings reliever 
    4) A couple of risk reward veteran starters to address organizational depth
    and compete for the 5th and 6th starter roles in the spring
    6) RH corner OF bat (see #2) with a little pop...
    7) Bolster the pen with another viable middle innings lefthanded reliever
    8) Add an athletic above average defensive middle infielder

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanCap. Show SanCap's posts

"GhostofTito" -great handle - I wish I'd thought of it...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaGolfer. Show TampaGolfer's posts

Although I have always liked Cuddyer, I don't think he is the answer for the Sox right now.  As "thepeskypole6" stated, this isn't a team that has no talent.  What they did this past year could be construed as a one time thing. 

I agree that there was little to no leadership in the clubhouse and that's really why I thought having Varitek was a good idea.  However, he seemed to become a catching diva and did nothing to squelch the internal problems that led to the September not to remember of 2011.

This mix of players will be tough to control, whomever becomes Manager, but I think that there is a bit of embarrassment and no true professional wants to be looked at that way.  I think that we will see an improvement in attitude.

If I were taking over the team as Manager, I would be very specific in things that were mandatory.

1.  RUNNING OUT GROUND BALLS! I have always hated to see players get halfway, only to have the infielder botch the play and still throw them out.

2.  Knowing all of the teams signals.  How many times were played messed up because a signal was missed?  Actually, quite a few, especially in the 2nd half of the season.

3.  If a locker room leader doesn't emerge and take control, the team should nominate someone and make them the leader.  The players know who they would respond to and that's who should be in charge.

4.  LEARN HOW TO BUNT! I was taught when I was 5 and I never forgot how to get a ball on the ground that wasn't directly at the pitcher!  Use some of the speed that we have and make teams be at least a little confused as to what we intend to do in certain circumstances.

Just those 4 things will make this group of players better teammates and therefore a better team.  We need pitching help, a rf a real shortshop and a backup catcher if Lavarnway isn't ready.

Otherwise, I would take this team as is and expect a very soild season.  I think that with just a little comradery and a little stiffer managerial style, we contend with this team, plus the few additions mentioned above.  Btw, I don't even think we need to spend a bunch of cash of Free Agents. There are some decent trade options and we need to use our resources better than in recent past.  Hopefully, our new GM understands that and realizes that trades make more sense than dumping big money into a big huge ?

Just my thoughts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

good friend Keith Law opines on Cuddyer;

Cuddyer is a man without a position who doesn't hit enough quality pitching to profile as a regular anywhere he can play, although he's likely to get an everyday job in an outfield corner or as a DH. Since he first became a semi-regular player in 2004, Cuddyer has hit .273/.344/.453, very close to his 2011 line, and he's been only substantially better than that twice in those eight seasons, most recently in 2009 when his power spiked but OBP was still .342.

His power is almost entirely dead pull, with a strong front side and good hip rotation, but in 2011, he was behind decent fastballs and teed off instead on changeups, which might be a fluke but could be an early harbinger of his decline phase. The biggest problem is that he is a liability in left or right field and is best suited to DH duty, but has never had a season that would justify playing him there every day, which should leave a number of teams looking at him as a part-time player rather than a full-timer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why you want Tek to come back.  It is a waste of roster spot as well a waste of money. 

Last year Boston had too many one year contract making up to 10 million dollars combined such as Tek, Miller, Bedard, Wakefield, and few others.  

Right now, you want to get rid of them, and use that $$ to get a real good healthy #4 starter and #5 starter.  And to fill the remaining spots, you can alway use Reddick, Middlebrook, Iggy, Larvanway, Wieland, etc. 

Get a leadership, time to have someone take over like Pedy, A-Gonz, etc.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

This guy really is a must sign. A very good bat who can play 1B, 3B and COF.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Guys and gals if Philladelphia just spent 60 million on Pappelbon, do u think they are going to "gauge" the market on Cuddyer or sign him ? Get real !!They will get this done as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I think Lavarnaway can be a very capable fill in at DH.  I don't feel the same way about Reddick or Kailish.  I like Cuddyer, solid, versitle, high character guy. Seems like a Trot Nixon to me.  Let Ortiz walk, and create a rotation at 3B, OF, and DH.  Granted, the Sox should not pay him like an All-Star, because he's not. He's a well above average player, who will hit around .280, hit around 20 HR, and drive in around 80.  He's better than what we got, but is certainly worth no more than 3/36.  Otherwise, the Sox should look for other options to shore up RF.  I don't think the answer lies within.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Llike your post...but #6 starter will easily go to one of the rookie or young pitcher such as Tawaza, Droubmont, Wieland, etc.

If the Sox find #4/#5 starters and a closer along with #6 belong to one of the pitcher above, then the roster is all set for now. 

Yeah, you're right, the #6 starter should be moved down on my list.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bard to Closer
    Lava to DH (back-up catcher)
    Reddick/Kalish to RF
    Tazawa/Doubront to the 4 and or 5 slot
    Jenks/Aceves/someone else to set-up

How many of these will come true?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

#1 and unfortunately #3.  I would much rather have #2 hapen.
    #4 and #5 would be asinine on the part of the Red Sox, except Aceves to set-up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

#1 and unfortunately #3.  I would much rather have #2 hapen. #4 and #5 would be asinine on the part of the Red Sox, except Aceves to set-up.
    Posted by titletownfan

I could see them let the two fight it out over the #5 slot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I would have no issue with Tazawa, Doubront, and a few other ST invites duke it out for the 5th spot.  I just think they need a solid pitcher (ex. Buehrle) for the 4th spot.  IMO, it should be our #1 priority in Free Agency/Offseason.

Sections
Shortcuts