Michael Cuddyer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

Michael Cuddyer

Anybody else hope that the Sox are serious and will go hard after him? He's got a decent bat and can platoon with Kalish/Reddick in the RF while spelling Youk & Gonzo at the corner infield spots. More importantly, he's a leader and many say fantastic in the clubhouse. 

However, the Orioles have made him a top priority and the Phillies have already wined and dined him this offseason, so hopefully the Sox FO can resolve the Theo compensation and decide on a new manager before they get too far behind in the FA market.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Re: Michael Cuddyer

Cuddyer is a type A free agent.  He is awful expensive when compared to a cody ross that way.  Hard to build a farm system back when you give up your picks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

In Response to Re: Michael Cuddyer:
    [QUOTE]Cuddyer is a type A free agent.  He is awful expensive when compared to a cody ross that way.  Hard to build a farm system back when you give up your picks.
    Posted by adam4522[/QUOTE]

Cody Ross can't play the infield. With Kevin Youkilis having already played his last game as a Red Sox (first/third baseman/utility outfielder) I'd say Michael Cuddyer is a better option (despite his recent injuries) than Mr. Ross (just sayin') and as for prospects? You give some (picking up a Type-A) and you get some (releasing Type-A's)...

...and Cuddyer is 14 days younger than Youkilis too!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Cuddyer isn't going anywhere to platoon with the likes of Hillbilly Josh. That would be an insult to him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

So far, there are alot of teams wanted him.  Meaning he is going to get a better deal elsewhere than playing for Boston as an utility player or platoon with Kalish at RF.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think his versatility would make him a great option. If we dont resign Ortiz...with his ability to play 1b, 2b, 3b, and OF...and also being a right handed bat, he could be in the lineup almost everyday and so many guys could get days off in the field at the DH position.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I would dig having Cuddyer in the fold.  But, the demand for his unique skill set seems pretty high.  As with all these Hot Stove hopes and dreams, the numbers have to crunch right.  If paying Michael Cuddyer turns into the roadblock to re-signing papelbon or signing a good starter, then I say pass.  If his price is fair (and fair price in Boston means something different then Baltomore, so I am not saying he shouldn't be paid handsomely), then I think his positional flexibility and his attitude are both just what the doctor ordered.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]I would dig having Cuddyer in the fold.  But, the demand for his unique skill set seems pretty high.  As with all these Hot Stove hopes and dreams, the numbers have to crunch right.  If paying Michael Cuddyer turns into the roadblock to re-signing papelbon or signing a good starter, then I say pass.  If his price is fair (and fair price in Boston means something different then Baltomore, so I am not saying he shouldn't be paid handsomely), then I think his positional flexibility and his attitude are both just what the doctor ordered.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Just for giggles, why NOT take a flyer on Daniel Bard being the closer? Heck, the Sox have finished out of the money for two straight years. I personally would still support the Sox without Jon Papelbon and David Ortiz in the line-up. Heck, Kevin Youkilis is probably a goner too. I say start over. I personally can get behind a team fashioned from Alfredo Aceves, Daniel Bard, Carl Crawford, Jacoby Ellsbury, Adrian Gonzalez,  Dustin Pedroia, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Marco Scutaro...out with the old and in with the new.

We would get prospects for Ortiz and Papelbon.

Figuring out what to do with the "attitudes" and "grown a$$" men in the starting roatation? I'll leave that to Ben Cherington. Good luck with that Ben!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michael Cuddyer : Just for giggles, why NOT take a flyer on Daniel Bard being the closer? Heck, the Sox have finished out of the money for two straight years. I personally would still support the Sox without Jon Papelbon and David Ortiz in the line-up. Heck, Kevin Youkilis is probably a goner too. I say start over. I personally can get behind a team fashioned from Alfredo Aceves, Daniel Bard, Carl Crawford, Jacoby Ellsbury, Adrian Gonzalez,  Dustin Pedroia, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Marco Scutaro...out with the old and in with the new. We would get prospects for Ortiz and Papelbon. Figuring out what to do with the "attitudes" and "grown a$$" men in the starting roatation? I'll leave that to Ben Cherington. Good luck with that Ben!
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

I am certainly not against letting Papelbon walk and giving Bard a shot.  nor am I setadfast that they must re-sign Ortiz.  By the same token as the price having to be right to sign Cuddyer, the price has to be right to re-sign either of these guys.  And neither is absolutely indispensable. But I do think that Papelbon is worth throwing some serious money at.  What he does, and not in Sand Diego or Kansas City or something ... in Boston! ... is rare.  Not to be underestimated.  But, alas, his demands may be astronomical, and we already have a cheap B+ option waiting in the wings.  Papi i want to see signed because a. he is a really good DH and still an integral element of this dynamic offense, and b. I am helplessly sentimental and, for everything he has done, I really want him to retire a Red stocking.  Not sure what the price tage is on that.

As for Youk, I want to give him this year.  Last year was a big warning flag, but I don't count 2010 as some sort of sign of health problems as many do.  It was a freak accident in the same way Ellsbury's was.  I want to see if he can stay healthy this year.  If he can, he is the centerpiece of this line-up.  Even last year, not his best even before the injury, he made this line-up go.  IMO, the decline of the bats in late summer was directly tied to Youkilous' DL time.  Gonzalez didn't see a good pitch from August on.  Youkilous (healthy) is still seriously underrated.  His grinding is A+.  This, to me, earns him this year to see what is what health-wise.  Not to mention, his value as a trade centerpiece right now gets the Red Sox not much in return.  Who, in their right mind, would give up a top starter or whatever for a health risk?  No one.  I think these trade scenarios featuring Youk and prospects are crazy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I'm fairly certain that Cherington has done his due dilligence on Cuddyer and if they see him as a good fit, they'll make him a market value offer...The only "downside" aside from him getting a Jason Werth type offer. Is that he's not a prototype RFer, but does posses many other very possitive attributes...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Here what I found via WEEI.com:

According to major league sources, the Red Sox held preliminary discussions with the representatives for outfielder Michael Cuddyer earlier this week. The 32-year-old is one of a few free agents contacted by the Sox, who, according to a source, are attempting to determine the market for David Ortiz before committing to any potential acquisitions on the open market.

The Boston Herald has also reported that the Red Sox have called on Grady Sizemore as an other potential free agent outfield option.

While the Twins -- the only organization Cuddyer has known during his professional career -- have publicly stated that they hope to bring the right-handed hitter, the Phillies have also been aggressive in the pursuit of Cuddyer, spent Tuesday in Philadephia talking to Phils' general manager Ruben Amaro and other members of National League East champs.

Cuddyer played in 139 games in 2011 after totaling 157 and 153 games played in the previous two seasons, respectively. In '11 he hit .284 with 20 home runs with an .805 OPS. His best season came in '09 when he launched 32 homers while batting .276 with an .862 OPS. He played 77 games in the outfield last season, all of which were in right field.

It has been reported that Cuddyer, who made $10.5 million in '11, is looking for a three-year deal.

For more Red Sox news, go to the team page at weei.com/redsox.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michael Cuddyer : I am certainly not against letting Papelbon walk and giving Bard a shot.  nor am I setadfast that they must re-sign Ortiz.  By the same token as the price having to be right to sign Cuddyer, the price has to be right to re-sign either of these guys.  And neither is absolutely indispensable. But I do think that Papelbon is worth throwing some serious money at.  What he does, and not in Sand Diego or Kansas City or something ... in Boston! ... is rare.  Not to be underestimated.  But, alas, his demands may be astronomical, and we already have a cheap B+ option waiting in the wings.  Papi i want to see signed because a. he is a really good DH and still an integral element of this dynamic offense, and b. I am helplessly sentimental and, for everything he has done, I really want him to retire a Red stocking.  Not sure what the price tage is on that. As for Youk, I want to give him this year.  Last year was a big warning flag, but I don't count 2010 as some sort of sign of health problems as many do.  It was a freak accident in the same way Ellsbury's was.  I want to see if he can stay healthy this year.  If he can, he is the centerpiece of this line-up.  Even last year, not his best even before the injury, he made this line-up go.  IMO, the decline of the bats in late summer was directly tied to Youkilous' DL time.  Gonzalez didn't see a good pitch from August on.  Youkilous (healthy) is still seriously underrated.  His grinding is A+.  This, to me, earns him this year to see what is what health-wise.  Not to mention, his value as a trade centerpiece right now gets the Red Sox not much in return.  Who, in their right mind, would give up a top starter or whatever for a health risk?  No one.  I think these trade scenarios featuring Youk and prospects are crazy.

My concern, as we move forward, is the general demeanor and attitude of players on this team. As I alluded to regarding the starters, there are elements of unrest among the ranks. If the new man at the top-of-the chain; Cherington and the new manager are comfy with Kevin Youkilis being the "senior citizen" on the team, I'm good with that. You know how I feel about Jon Papelbon. As for David Ortiz closing his career as a Red Sox player? That's a two-way street. He's already a millionaire right?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Cuddyer will be 33 when the season starts, and he is not likely to be an upgrade over Kalish / Reddick defensively or offensively against RHP.   Do you really want to overpay (plus lose a first-round draft pick) for a guy whose only net contribution is at the plate in 3 out of 10 games?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]Cuddyer will be 33 when the season starts, and he is not likely to be an upgrade over Kalish / Reddick defensively or offensively against RHP.   Do you really want to overpay (plus lose a first-round draft pick) for a guy whose only net contribution is at the plate in 3 out of 10 games?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

I'll leave that to Ben Cherrington, but "yes" I would.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michael Cuddyer : My concern, as we move forward, is the general demeanor and attitude of players on this team. As I alluded to regarding the starters, there are elements of unrest among the ranks. If the new man at the top-of-the chain; Cherington and the new manager are comfy with Kevin Youkilis being the "senior citizen" on the team, I'm good with that. You know how I feel about Jon Papelbon. As for David Ortiz closing his career as a Red Sox player? That's a two-way street. He's already a millionaire right?

Two-way street for sure West-O.  If David prices himself out of The House That He Re-Built, then hasta la vista baby.  But, I would love to have him stay, for his bat, and also because i don't lend much weight to all the "malcontent diva" criticism that it has become vogue to level at him.  In the same way that i think the youklious-Elssbury thing is overblown and youk is not a negative presence, and in the same way that i think the chicken & beer thing is overblown and just a convenient flash point for the collapse.  I don't think much "house cleaning" is really necessary.  Converesely, the collapse will galvanize this club and bring them together for 2012.  The whole adversity/opportunity thing.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Cuddyer will be 33 when the season starts, and he is not likely to be an upgrade over Kalish / Reddick defensively or offensively against RHP.   Do you really want to overpay (plus lose a first-round draft pick) for a guy whose only net contribution is at the plate in 3 out of 10 games?
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Cuddyer's a proven commodity, Kalish and Reddick are still unknowns, so the short answer is yes. I wouldn't overpay but the numbers I've been reading seem to be in the 11M to 13M per range...I see him as being an Adrian Beltre type, that will benefit from playing 81 games in Fenway.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michael Cuddyer : Two-way street for sure West-O.  If David prices himself out of The House That He Re-Built, then hasta la vista baby.  But, I would love to have him stay, for his bat, and also because i don't lend much weight to all the "malcontent diva" criticism that it has become vogue to level at him.  In the same way that i think the youklious-Elssbury thing is overblown and youk is not a negative presence, and in the same way that i think the chicken & beer thing is overblown and just a convenient flash point for the collapse.  I don't think much "house cleaning" is really necessary.  Converesely, the collapse will galvanize this club and bring them together for 2012.  The whole adversity/opportunity thing.  

Hope Springs eternal and Spring training is not far off. Go Sox!

"The one constant through all the years Ray, has been baseball..."

...considering where you are right now, watching this might be therapeutic spaceman...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SB16il97yw

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michael Cuddyer : Hope Springs eternal and Spring training is not far off. Go Sox! "The one constant through all the years Ray, has been baseball..." ...considering where you are right now, watching this might be therapeutic spaceman... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SB16il97yw

haha.  Thanks West-O.  I am starting to well up just looking at that still.  James Earl at his finest.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

If we do sign a Type-A RH OF bat, it should be Josh Willingham, who will be cheaper, is a better hitter and could also serve as an emergency catcher.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michael Cuddyer : I actually think the players that were on the team last year are embarrassed and out to prove people wrong. I am against blowing it up and starting over. Last year could end up being a good thing for the 2012 Red Sox. The scrutiny on them will be more intense than ever which is what they need. I say sign Ortiz, Papelbon and keep Youk. The priority needs to be pitching. Need to find a couple of guys who can be in the #4 and #5 roles. This team is very talented..it just needs to be tweaked. The crap in the clubhouse will be cleaned up this year because it will become a focal point.
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

Exactly Pesky.  I truly believe the debacle of 2011 will serve to be the galvanizing force to bring this club together in a way that has been elusive for a few years now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michael Cuddyer : I actually think the players that were on the team last year are embarrassed and out to prove people wrong. I am against blowing it up and starting over. Last year could end up being a good thing for the 2012 Red Sox. The scrutiny on them will be more intense than ever which is what they need. I say sign Ortiz, Papelbon and keep Youk. The priority needs to be pitching. Need to find a couple of guys who can be in the #4 and #5 roles. This team is very talented..it just needs to be tweaked. The crap in the clubhouse will be cleaned up this year because it will become a focal point.
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

I understand how you feel and what you think. There's just something about the troika of Josh Beckett, Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz that sticks in my craw. Despite what the trainer said about Beckett? He suffered injuries traditionally seen among lazy workout partners. He also did little to combat his weight issues on his own. He is a coveted pitcher who could be unloaded for something. As for Jon Lester? I'd prefer to see him grow up to be a "grown a$$ man" somewhere else. He strikes me as an unapproachable although talented sourpuss. Buchholz is just a punk. If he wasn't pitching in baseball he would have been stealing hubcaps off cars and be in jail by now. I say keep one of the three. Trade the rest. Then again, I think your plan might work too. Nevertheless, if there WAS an attitude issue in the clubhouse bringing back Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Youkilis, Papelbon and Ortiz may not be the wisest decision.

Having been a coach at higher levels? I have come to rarely, if ever, trust in athletes (not the brightest bulbs in the sockets) to self-regulate and succeed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

[QUOTE]Here what I found via WEEI.com: According to major league sources, the Red Sox held preliminary discussions with the representatives for outfielder Michael Cuddyer earlier this week. The 32-year-old is one of a few free agents contacted by the Sox, who, according to a source, are attempting to determine the market for David Ortiz before committing to any potential acquisitions on the open market. The Boston Herald has also reported that the Red Sox have called on Grady Sizemore as an other potential free agent outfield option. While the Twins -- the only organization Cuddyer has known during his professional career -- have publicly stated that they hope to bring the right-handed hitter, the Phillies have also been aggressive in the pursuit of Cuddyer, spent Tuesday in Philadephia talking to Phils' general manager Ruben Amaro and other members of National League East champs. Cuddyer played in 139 games in 2011 after totaling 157 and 153 games played in the previous two seasons, respectively. In '11 he hit .284 with 20 home runs with an .805 OPS. His best season came in '09 when he launched 32 homers while batting .276 with an .862 OPS. He played 77 games in the outfield last season, all of which were in right field. It has been reported that Cuddyer, who made $10.5 million in '11, is looking for a three-year deal. For more Red Sox news, go to the team page at  weei.com/redsox .
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

I saw this report already and just hope Sox are more than just kicking the tires on Cuddyer. Grady Sizemore is just another low risk-high reward injury project like Rocco Baldelli which is great if your team is already solid and always healthy but just not a great fit for the 2012 Sox. Beltran has already said that he won't DH and I just don't see him as a team first guy. Also, the way this offseason is starting out I can't see the Sox signing both Pap & Ortiz, so any draft pick compensation could cancel out if they sign Cuddyer. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michael Cuddyer : I saw this report already and just hope Sox are more than just kicking the tires on Cuddyer. Grady Sizemore is just another low risk-high reward injury project like Rocco Baldelli which is great if your team is already solid and always healthy but just not a great fit for the 2012 Sox. Beltran has already said that he won't DH and I just don't see him as a team first guy. Also, the way this offseason is starting out I can't see the Sox signing both Pap & Ortiz, so any draft pick compensation could cancel out if they sign Cuddyer. 
    Posted by wfdog[/QUOTE]

I don't know that you can draw a comparions to a player with a chronic illness (Baldelli) that effected his stamina to one with an injury that has been repaired by surgury (Sizemore).

That said, Sizemore and Beltran both are recovering from microfracture surguries and while they present some risk of longterm chronic problems. They also could like may athletes after rehabing from the same surgury, go on and have very productive careers...It comes down to price value and the teams medical staff's ability to diagnose the probablity of risk of them reinjuring themselves over the life of the contract...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Spending big on an aging RF'er is not even close to our top priority. We have about $25M to spend and have more pressing needs. I put RF as our 7th or 8th top priority...

1) Starter #4
    2) Closer
    3) Starer #5
    4) DH (unless you have more faith in Lava than one of kalish/Reddick)
    5) Starter #6
    6) Set-up relief
    7) Catcher
    8) RH'd OF'er