Michael Morse?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Michael Morse?

What are the chances the Sox make a play for the RH hitting 30 year old 1B/OF that hits for power?

I believe the only way the Nationals make him available is if they re-sign LaRoche and a FA OF like Upton or Bourn...

I believe Morse would be a better fit than LaRoche and he's younger than Napoli...but we'd have to give up players to get him.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Re: Michael Morse?

The price likely won't be that high. Maybe a bunch of B/C prospects?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Morse likely is and should be a target.  However, his fate is, as you said, likely tied to LaRoche.

Prospects always help, and Washington emptied their farm last season to acquire Gonzalez.  They also are reportedly seeking bullpen help to replace Sean Burnett, not to mention possibly stabilize the rotation they had at closer last season.  The Soxcould offer 2 from Aceves, Miller and Melancon and there are reasons to believe Washington might consider that offer...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Morse seems like a legitimate target.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

We already have 4 potential LHP in the pen, so we could offer one of those guys (Breslow, Hill, Miller, Morales) and maybe a prospect like Alex Wilson for their pen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I could actually see a Morse for Ells straight up or with an addition of Lannan and Morse for  Ells and possibly Bard/ Miller/Breslow/Hill.

Both Morse and Ells are FA in 2014.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Thinking of John Tomase's article from the other day---sign a group of FA who might want to improve their situation and have in their cotract no offer for Arb for 2014 similar to Carlos Beltran's situation with the Giants. They are 0ne year Mercenaries with the Sox. Overpay for one year--the young kids get an extra year in the minors.

Hamilton--$30 M

Swisher--$22 M

Haren $17 M

Kuroda $17 M

LaRoche $15 M

Soriano $15 M

Trade Bailey, Ells, Lavarnway, Lester, Lackey for a starting SS and another starting pitcher or prospects.

LaRoche, Pedroia, Iggy/Ciriaco, Middlebrooks, Swisher, Hamillton, Brentz, D. Ross, Ortiz DH

Batting Order: Pedroia, Swisher, Hamilton, Ortiz, Middle, LaRoche, Ross, Brentz, Iggy

Rotation: Kuroda, Haren, Buch, Doubie, Holland, Morales.

Pen: Soriano, Melancon, Miller, Rubby, Aceves, Atch, Hill.

Bench: Ciriaco, Salty, Gomez

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I could actually see a Morse for Ells straight up or with an addition of Lannan and Morse for  Ells and possibly Bard/ Miller/Breslow/Hill.

Thinking of John Tomase's article from the other day---sign a group of FA who might want to improve their situation and have in their cotract no offer for Arb for 2014 similar to Carlos Beltran's situation with the Giants. They are 0ne year Mercenaries with the Sox. Overpay for one year--the young kids get an extra year in the minors.

Hamilton--$30 M

Swisher--$22 M

Haren $17 M

Kuroda $17 M

LaRoche $15 M

Soriano $15 M

Trade Bailey, Ells, Lavarnway, Lester, Lackey for a starting SS and another starting pitcher.

LaRoche, Pedroia, Iggy/Ciriaco, Middlebrooks, Swisher, Hamillton, Brentz, Ross, Ortiz DH

Batting Order: Pedroia, Swisher, Hamilton, Ortiz, Middle, LaRoche, Salty, Brentz, Iggy

Bench: Ciriaco, Salty/ Lavarnway, Gomez

[/QUOTE]

The problem with that article, and Tomase acknowledged it, is that realisticlly, none of those guys will sign a one year contract, except for Kuroda, who's now saying he'd like to pitch closer to his kids who are in grade school in California.  Whoever loses out on Greinke between the Dodgers and Angels, will likely pursue Kuroda aggressively, as will the Yankees.  The Sox obviously like Kuroda, but if I had to handicap their chances, they'd fall into a 5th type option at best.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

I'd like to see him in Boston.

Guy is super strong, with power to all fields.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1.  Lannan is awful.

2.  He will be non-tendered anyway, so why the rush?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If you can't get Morse or LaRoche--LoMo is also a pretty strong kid--lefthanded, plays 1 B and LF. He could be someone to platoon with Gomez and/or platoon in LF with Cody( if you resign Ross). I think Ben may be looking for Cody on a one year deal--perhaps offer him a one year for $12 M-way overpay.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]

Hamilton--$30 M

Swisher--$22 M

Haren $17 M

Kuroda $17 M

LaRoche $15 M

Soriano $15 M

Trade Bailey, Ells, Lavarnway, Lester, Lackey for a starting SS and another starting pitcher or prospects.

LaRoche, Pedroia, Iggy/Ciriaco, Middlebrooks, Swisher, Hamillton, Brentz, D. Ross, Ortiz DH

Batting Order: Pedroia, Swisher, Hamilton, Ortiz, Middle, LaRoche, Ross, Brentz, Iggy

Bench: Ciriaco, Salty, Gomez

[/QUOTE]

Did you pull this directly from Tomase or did you elaborate on it, because big problem here...Ellsbury, Lackey and Lester are gone and nobody was brought back in their trades.

If you received only prospects in return for these guys then that was a ridiculously bad trade(s).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

If you can't get Morse or LaRoche--LoMo is also a pretty strong kid--lefthanded, plays 1 B and LF. He could be someone to platoon with Gomez and/or platoon in LF with Cody( if you resign Ross). I think Ben may be looking for Cody on a one year deal--perhaps offer him a one year for $12 M-way overpay.

[/QUOTE]

Logan Morrison is basically Justin Smoak 2.0 - the new version where they removed all defense.  As someoen who thinks Smoak is really just unlucky, that is not a bad thing.

A step below would be players like Mitch Moreland and Mike Carp, who can also provide solid power bats and might be avaialble this offseason...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I have liked Carp--he's a kid that won't hurt you at first--he's only 25--can play LF. He and Gomez could platoon at 1 B and play some LF.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What are the chances the Sox make a play for the RH hitting 30 year old 1B/OF that hits for power?

I believe the only way the Nationals make him available is if they re-sign LaRoche and a FA OF like Upton or Bourn...

I believe Morse would be a better fit than LaRoche and he's younger than Napoli...but we'd have to give up players to get him.

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

If Cherrington said he looking for vet players and continue to develop within. A very good poosibilty. Morse 30 yrs. old been up and down in the minors and majors. If we look at career stat avg.   BA .291 OBP .321 SLG. .470. The last 2 seasons playing as full time NL player. His season avgs. are 73 runs, 133 hits, 24 HR's, 25 BB's and his SO's 110.

Overall stat wise he is allright  but can he field the Green Monster. I would be content if  Cody Ross contracted and playing LF. Then keep the kids to show up at training camp and show who is worthy to play RF and work things out from there. But Ross LF, Ells CF and Morse RF is OK in my books with the kids playing every odd gm. in the OF.

Already mention wsh will be looking for good prospects for their farm. From my view if the Nats let go of Laroche via FA bad mistake. The Nationals are the verge of being a serious contender for the WS next season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Living down near DC, I have seen Morse many times.  He is a big strong kid who is probably not in the Nationals' plans for next year.  As Notin mentioned, he may even get non-tendered if they re-sign Laroche prior to the non tender date.

Watching Laroche all year as well, I cannot imagine Washington not resigning him because if they do not they will likely not get the same production at first base either offensively or defensively.  

These Nationals are not you old Nationals or even Expos as they are contenders right now and they know it.  Weakening their lineup for a few extra million should not be in their plans.  They know Laroche, like him and he likes them.  He will also likely prefer to stay with a contender than go to a rebuilding place like Boston.

Aceves should get Morse for the Red Sox if they want to be sure to get him as Aceves will fill one of Washington's bullpen spots and will be cheaper than Morse in 2013.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Cherrington said he looking for vet players and continue to develop within. A very good poosibilty. Morse 30 yrs. old been up and down in the minors and majors. If we look at career stat avg.   BA .291 OBP .321 SLG. .470. The last 2 seasons playing as full time NL player. His season avgs. are 73 runs, 133 hits, 24 HR's, 25 BB's and his SO's 110.

Overall stat wise he is allright  but can he field the Green Monster. I would be content if  Cody Ross contracted and playing LF. Then keep the kids to show up at training camp and show who is worthy to play RF and work things out from there. But Ross LF, Ells CF and Morse RF is OK in my books with the kids playing every odd gm. in the OF.

Already mention wsh will be looking for good prospects for their farm. From my view if the Nats let go of Laroche via FA bad mistake. The Nationals are the verge of being a serious contender for the WS next season.

[/QUOTE]

I was considering Morse for 1B on the Sox, but if they used him in the OF I would think LF would be the more suitable position...if Manny can play the Monster, Morse can, if the player actually works at it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

Adam Laroche first priority is to sign with the Nats, but Adam already turn down an option for 13.3 mill. Laroche is looking for 3 yr. deal at least, I think the 1st basemen will stay if the Nats sign him for 40 mill for 3 years.

If Cherington wants Laroche then I am guessing it will cost around 45 mill. for 3 yrs.

For Morse who position is 1B with some OF experience will be better for the Red Sox pocket books with a long term deal.

I been changing my mind towards Ike Davis at the moment for the simple reason his age younger with the same potential as both Morse and Laroche. Cherington can sign him to even a longer deal maybe 5 years and less money per season. Already mention what will the Ike Davis trade be via trade/ who the sox will give up.

From my view the Sox can get one the following 1B Laroche Morse Napoli or Davis

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Adam Laroche first priority is to sign with the Nats, but Adam already turn down an option for 13.3 mill. Laroche is looking for 3 yr. deal at least, I think the 1st basemen will stay if the Nats sign him for 40 mill for 3 years.

If Cherington wants Laroche then I am guessing it will cost around 45 mill. for 3 yrs.

For Morse who position is 1B with some OF experience will be better for the Red Sox pocket books with a long term deal.

I been changing my mind towards Ike Davis at the moment for the simple reason his age younger with the same potential as both Morse and Laroche. Cherington can sign him to even a longer deal maybe 5 years and less money per season. Already mention what will the Ike Davis trade be via trade/ who the sox will give up.

From my view the Sox can get one the following 1B Laroche Morse Napoli or Davis

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Ike Davis is available from the Mets...or at least that is what I thought I've seen. So to wrestle him away you'd have to pay a steep price. How much would you trade to acquire Davis versus Morse and who really is the better fit?

Napoli would be easier, since he would not cost any players, just money!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Morse and K. Morales are both serious possibilities.

Sections
Shortcuts