Michael Young reaches out to Sox and O's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Michael Young reaches out to Sox and O's

According to MLBTR and Peter Gammons, Michael Young has reached out to both teams. He would make a nice addition to either one but more so with the Sox than O's as they have their infield set. He would be an excellent all purpose infielder for the Sox as he can play all four infield positions and his bat would find Fenway to it's liking!!!! I'm Ben Cherrington I definately get back to him ASAP...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Re: Michael Young reaches out to Sox and O's

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

According to MLBTR and Peter Gammons, Michael Young has reached out to both teams. He would make a nice addition to either one but more so with the Sox than O's as they have their infield set. He would be an excellent all purpose infielder for the Sox as he can play all four infield positions and his bat would find Fenway to it's liking!!!! I'm Ben Cherrington I definately get back to him ASAP...

NO NO NO ...Ben.Let Young beg for his bread.....

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

hey don, since he was the one who initiated..isn't that technically what he is doing??..just sayin..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

But, can he still hit ????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I would bring this guy in in a heart beat if he is willing to sign a minor league contract, but not for a major league contract at this time.  He will still be available much later in the off season to use a 40 man spot for him right now.

Sign him for cheap and give him a better deal if he makes the major league team out of spring training.  Put many incentives in his contract and make it only for one year with a mutual  option for year number two.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

After batting .279 last season-it would be an insult to offer this kind of performer a minor league contract. Move Bailey to the 60 day DL and put Young on the 40. Not sure if a one year contract would work----one year @$5 with incentives to a high of $10. Option for year two if he hits performance incentives.

He has always been physically capable of performing. I could see a nice platoon at 1 B with Carp. In addition he might cause WMB to work on his game knowing there's a guy waiting to play full-time.

His days of $16 M are over and he knows it---he's a guy that loves to compete and he's been a good performer from his time in Toronto and Texas. He would fit right in with Ross, Gomes,  Victorino, Dempster, Peavy and Ue.

In my mind that would spell the end of Nap in Boston. I think he would continue to be a doubles machine and would probably hit 10-15 HR--he has career .300 BA and is strong defensively.

BenC he's another strong veteran presence.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Napoli vs Young ===== higher BA vs three times the HR?????

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

I would bring him in if Napoli gets too expensive, but it is one or the other, not both.  He is not a utility infielder or backup but a 1B/3B option is fine.  5m plus alot of incentives seems right to me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If yhe Sox want a defensivrly subpar 1b/2b/3b who hits right-handed, Jeff Baker makes much more sense

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

you forgot the 100 less strikeouts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

hey don, since he was the one who initiated..isn't that technically what he is doing??..just sayin..

Yes you got that right.... What i mean is a little more squirm ......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

Yes you got that right.... What i mean is a little more squirm ......

ah, i hear ya..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Please no.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

.307 Lifetime Avg. against Lefties. What would be his minimum Salary?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Would you really prefer...?

80 Ks and

.280/.335/.395/.730  8 HRs 45+ RBIs

to this...

180 Ks and

.260/.360/.480/.840  23 HRs 90+ RBI

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

80 Ks and

to this...

180 Ks and

Not really.  Or at least I wouldn't.  But I don't think including RBIs is a very good idea.  It's such a useless comparative stat unless guys hit in about the same position, and on a team with very similar conditions.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I was only thinking as a Platoon option.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from levasseujj. Show levasseujj's posts

only sign him on a team friendly deal with no guarantees.  He was a good player in his prime but he is no longer in his prime.  Good clubhouse guy, has taken one for the team on numerous occasions but business is business....if the sox can find a comparable utility guy for the league minimum or a minor league deal then wish him luck and tell Mr. Young thanks but no thanks. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Leva JJ---The Sox just took a pass on a guy that might have been the guy you were describing, Brendan Ryan---the Yanks signed him for two years and an option for year 3 for $10 M. The guy may be just one of the best SS on the market. I'm not saying it was their best signing but it could be the Yanks most productive.

He might have been, for that money, the SS backup in case Xander needs more seasoning. 

What would you pay for Michael Young? The O's or some other team might run the price up---he's always in great physical condition , so he could play into his 40's and he's like Ross, another coach on the field, plus his.300 lifetime bat is nothing to overlook---3 years--$15 plus incentives to $21. 

Now if no one offers Drew at least the same deal I would try to sign Drew for that and, after June , if someone is looking for a SS, make the deal.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

At short $$ (1 year, 5 MM with incentives) - maybe.

But, unless he is going to be the platoon 1B (no Napoli, no Hart, no Trumbo, no Morales, etc.) with Carp, then there is going to be a roster crunch.

1-9 Lineup: Nava, Victorino, Ortiz, Pedey, Corey Hart or Napoli, Bogaerts, WMB, Ross, Rajai Davis

1-5 Bench: John Buck/Lavarnway, Carp, Gomes, JBJ, and Michael Young??  Where is the backup IF?  And the Sox would prefer to go 4 deep on the bench, not 5.

So, if they sign Michael Young, then he would likely be the starting 1B in a platoon with Carp AND the backup 3B.  Buh-bye all the power from 1B and the protection for Papi/Pedey at the #5 spot in the order.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

young would be a nice guy off the bench...he can play..1B,2B,3B,SS....i'd take him right now....super utility infielder.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

80 Ks and

to this...

180 Ks and

I think the his role, years and money should be included in this equation too...

Naps-- possibly a 3-45M deal

Young incentive filled 1yr deal as a super Utility IF'er who can play every IF position.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Young is about as versatile as they come and another solid veteran presence.   I would love this type of player on the bench and in the clubhouse if the price is right.

Sections
Shortcuts