Michael Young to play third for Sox?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Michael Young to play third for Sox?

I made this suggestion last year after the Rangers signed Beltre--it might be easier to obtain him this year as the Rangers will have more options at first and DH.

He has two years left on his contract--he would be a great role model for Middlebrooks and adding another .300 hitter wouldn't be too bad. 

How do we get him--I'd start with Beckett especially if they lose Wilson. Beckett would be Nolan Ryan's type of player. The contracts would be pretty close we would save two years on Beckett's.

If Middlebrooks moves faster than expected Young played all infield positions and DH'd. He's a heady, savy player, he knows what it takes to win and would be a good clubhouse guy. In addition he's in shape. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Re: Michael Young to play third for Sox?

Young and a minor league pitcher for Beckett would be a great move, assuming Tough Guy Youk exits.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Yes, let's trade Youkilis, and make sure to trash him on the way out.  It's his turn.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

DO NOT MESS WITH YOUK - HE GAVE US EVERYTHING HE HAS, WAS ONE OF THE TOP 10 HITTERS AND TOP 3 FIRST BASEMEN FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND LET US NOT FORGET HE WAS PART OF 2 WORLD SERIES TEAMS

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In Response to Re: Michael Young to play third for Sox?:
    [QUOTE]DO NOT MESS WITH YOUK - HE GAVE US EVERYTHING HE HAS, WAS ONE OF THE TOP 10 HITTERS AND TOP 3 FIRST BASEMEN FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND LET US NOT FORGET HE WAS PART OF 2 WORLD SERIES TEAMS
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Andrew, I agree completely but it they decide to trade him... Youk!  Look out!!  THE BUS!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Yep the Sox trade Beckett for Young...who has 2 years left on his 80 mil contract and now have a slugger but a definite lack of starting pitching.  Doesn't make sense to trade one big contract for another especially when you weaken an already weak pitching staff.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I really hope not.

To me there are several UNTOUCHABLES

Schilling

Ortiz

Pedey

Youk

and a few others

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Travern, I realize there's not a glut of FA pitchers out there but if you have Pap,Ortiz,Wake,Tek,Drew, money (approx. $35 M) to play with you can find a pitcher or two to get you 12 to 14 wins.

Michael Young would bring us the prescence we lost when VMart wasn't signed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Michael Young to play third for Sox?:
    [QUOTE]I made this suggestion last year after the Rangers signed Beltre--it might be easier to obtain him this year as the Rangers will have more options at first and DH. He has two years left on his contract--he would be a great role model for Middlebrooks and adding another .300 hitter wouldn't be too bad.  How do we get him--I'd start with Beckett especially if they lose Wilson. Beckett would be Nolan Ryan's type of player. The contracts would be pretty close we would save two years on Beckett's. If Middlebrooks moves faster than expected Young played all infield positions and DH'd. He's a heady, savy player, he knows what it takes to win and would be a good clubhouse guy. In addition he's in shape. 
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

I always loved the idea of bringing Young to Boston but his contract was crippling.  Texas fans love this guy and always will.  I doubt Ryan would move him at this point.  He had a great year and is beginning to crush the ball in the PS.

Texas has a very well rounded team

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

This won't be our decision.  It will be up to Texas.

Depending on what happens w/ CJ Wilson, they may have to move a bat for an arm.  I think Nelson Cruz may get them the biggest return.  Perhaps with one of the West Coast teams..........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, let's trade Youkilis, and make sure to trash him on the way out.  It's his turn.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

I don't believe that Red Sox fans are trashing Youkilis, just that he hasn't been healthy the last two seasons.  Trading him has been discussed many times on this forum.  Many also believe that if we had resigned Beltre and traded Youkilis this past season the Red Sox would have been a better team. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

With no really outstanding pitching available - it just means that what little talent that is there will be overpriced and highly sought after.  Too many Lackey-like deals waiting to happen...even short term Lackey types.  The Sox farm system is not like everyone was lead to believe by Theo...I doubt there is a really tradeable player down there that would bring any pitching that the Sox need.  All you have to do is look at this past year...no cream from the Sox farm system rose to the top and heaven knows they all had their chance!  Pitching wins - not hitting. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would not trade Youk unless a can't resist deal comes along. Youk would be part of the DH, 1st, 3rd, tandem rotation.

Youk is too valuable a competitor--plus he's got a lot of baseball left in him after getting "fixed-up" and only playing about 100 games each of the last couple of years.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michael Young to play third for Sox? : I don't believe that Red Sox fans are trashing Youkilis, just that he hasn't been healthy the last two seasons.  Trading him has been discussed many times on this forum.  Many also believe that if we had resigned Beltre and traded Youkilis this past season the Red Sox would have been a better team. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Agreed susan, I don't think anyone is suggesting a trade between Youk and Young either.  Youk is too valuable but not having him down the stretch now two years in a row makes one wonder if he should be at 3B.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, let's trade Youkilis, and make sure to trash him on the way out.  It's his turn.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

lol I almost spit out my pepsi.... too funny.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]I would not trade Youk unless a can't resist deal comes along. Youk would be part of the DH, 1st, 3rd, tandem rotation. Youk is too valuable a competitor--plus he's got a lot of baseball left in him after getting "fixed-up" and only playing about 100 games each of the last couple of years.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Two years in a row we've lost him in Aug/Sep to "injury". He was 7 times on the DL, and we just can't afford to pay a guy who is only going to play 60% of the games.
    Young would be a great addition. He wants to play 3B and will not get that opportunity with Texas. He would jump at the chance to be the everyday 3B for the Sox

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Why would the beloved Michael Young -- a 3.8 WAR* player in 2011, a 10-year Texas veteran and by all accounts a great teammate -- waive his 10-and-5 rights to accept a trade from the two-time defending American Leauge champions to a third-place team in turmoil?

Some Red Sox fans retain a sense of entitlement despite the team's disappointments in recent years.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported by FanGraphs

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Why would the beloved Michael Young -- a 3.8 WAR* player in 2011, a 10-year Texas veteran and by all accounts a great teammate -- waive his 10-and-5 rights to accept a trade from the two-time defending American Leauge champions to a third-place team in turmoil? Some Red Sox fans retain a sense of entitlement despite the team's disappointments in recent years. * Wins Above Replacement as reported by FanGraphs
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

The one thing we really don't know about Youk is whether he was in top physical condition.  After his hand surgery his conditioning program may have been linited.  Either way, I think we need to get Aviles at 3B a bit more to give Youk.  We definitely need Youk down the stretch.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why the world Texas want to trade .300 career batting average guy named Michael Young to anyone while their starting 1b, Moreland is batting .259. Moreland is more likely to be trade while Young will become a full time 1B next year.  Texas never thought that he is capable to play that position, and now he proved it that he can.

So do you think Texas want Youkilis who just started becoming an injure proned player playing at 1B over Young now?  If that was before the 2010 season at the same time Texas have been rumored to trade Young, but now Young is one of the team top three hitters in the past two years.  Texas is going to keep him now especially they made to two straight world series.  They arent going to break up the team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Michael Young to play third for Sox?:
    [QUOTE]I made this suggestion last year after the Rangers signed Beltre--it might be easier to obtain him this year as the Rangers will have more options at first and DH. He has two years left on his contract--he would be a great role model for Middlebrooks and adding another .300 hitter wouldn't be too bad.  How do we get him--I'd start with Beckett especially if they lose Wilson. Beckett would be Nolan Ryan's type of player. The contracts would be pretty close we would save two years on Beckett's. If Middlebrooks moves faster than expected Young played all infield positions and DH'd. He's a heady, savy player, he knows what it takes to win and would be a good clubhouse guy. In addition he's in shape. 
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]BILL-806 & DAD CONCURS WITH THIS POST !!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]Why would the beloved Michael Young -- a 3.8 WAR* player in 2011, a 10-year Texas veteran and by all accounts a great teammate -- waive his 10-and-5 rights to accept a trade from the two-time defending American Leauge champions to a third-place team in turmoil? Some Red Sox fans retain a sense of entitlement despite the team's disappointments in recent years. * Wins Above Replacement as reported by FanGraphs
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

It's pretty simple, he'd do so if he got an extension of his existing contract and was assured that he'd be the every day 3B...frankly, I wouldn't even consider trading for the guy, he's a gamer for sure, but IMHO he's on the wrong side of 30...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

They might have to make a deal for a pitcher--Beckett , as we all know is from Texas, and has a similar makeup, not ability, as Nolan Ryan which may interest Texas. Texas has been a lefthanded dominant rotation. I'm just throwing this out there because I have seen Young hurt the Sox so many times.

It may be time to bring Josh Hamilton in to play first and find another power hitting outfielder.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

I like Young as a player, but he is not our player and I certainly wouldn't trade Beckett for him.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michael Young to play third for Sox? : It's pretty simple, he'd do so if he got an extension of his existing contract and was assured that he'd be the every day 3B...frankly, I wouldn't even consider trading for the guy, he's a gamer for sure, but IMHO he's on the wrong side of 30...
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]
    Michael Young turns 35 tomorrow and will turn 37 when his current contract expires following the 2013 season. What kind of extension should the Red Sox offer?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Maybe we get aquire Nelson Cruz, Josh Hamilton, and Young for Lackey and Beckett. Then we can sign CJ Wilson, yeah thats the ticket.

Sections
Shortcuts