Michael Young to play third for Sox?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Re: Michael Young to play third for Sox?

Only Red Sox fans could think that Josh Beckett would be coveted by Nolan Ryan. Note that ALL (with the exception of Scott Feldman) of the Rangers staff is youthful. I'm thinking Nolan Ryan sees Josh Beckett as a fat Texas boy who is well past his best years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Why DO you think the world revolves around Red Sox Nation?
    Duh..."I think Young would be great at terd...he's wicked pissah...."

For chits and giggles let's just say Cleveland will gladly trade Asdrubal Cabrera for a bakers dozen of Dunkin' Donuts, two tickets to the Red Sox opener in 2012 and a player to be named later. Of course there's also Stephen Strasburg for 24 one pound lobsters, a $100 gift certificate to The Union Oyster House, Jim Rice and Jerry Remy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Is Timmy T-Ball still around? 4 million is not quite massive.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

It's been over a week since the last comment about Michael Young coming to play third base for the Sox.
    He's been shaky at first base, especially in game 6 but his hitting has been pretty good. 3b is more of a natural position for him. That would solidify our infield and DH with Youk.
    I still think Nolan Ryan would take that Young trade for Beckett, even up.
    Then look at moving Middlebrooks and other top prospects for Hanley as our right fielder. I realize he had a shoulder issue but he is still an incredible talent at a reasonable price.
    Hopefully BenCh will explore trades with the Marlins as they have a pipeline to talent that doesn't quit--similar to the Rays.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

5 years/$80M (2009-13)
    • signed extension with Texas 3/07, with Rangers exercising $5M 2008 club option as part of the deal
    • 09-13:$16M annually (total of $15M deferred)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Michael Young to play third for Sox?:
    [QUOTE]Yep the Sox trade Beckett for Young...who has 2 years left on his 80 mil contract and now have a slugger but a definite lack of starting pitching.  Doesn't make sense to trade one big contract for another especially when you weaken an already weak pitching staff.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with you about trading pitchers.  This definitely wouldn't be a good idea considering how desperately we need to add to the pitching depth. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

You have to have a plan.
    Beckett won 13 games-Lackey won 12 games.
    We have to figure a way to win 25 games with or without those two guys. Lackey's 12 wins were just about as important as Beckett's 13. There's no question Beckett would be a challenge to replace especially his games against the Yankees.
    Perhaps obtaining CC Sabathia would be the replacement---perhaps a CJ Wilson--perhaps two pitchers--Aceves and Wilson or Wandy Rodriguez and Erik Bedard--who knows.
    Look at the guy that won the MVP of the World Series David Freese--a three year pro. There are guys out there waiting for that same opportunity that have great ability waiting to be discovered. Ben Ch. knows where these guys are; I have great confidence in his ability to find the diamonds in the rough.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

nolan ryan got some studs on the mound. why would he want a ding a ling fron Spring?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

He'd never get traded now.  He is the Ranger's MVP.  They are happy he never got sent anywhere.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

That's the answer because Nolan will be losing CJ Wilson and he needs someone to take his place---he has someone that could help us we have someone that could help him. A big time pitcher that has pitched and won in the post season; Beckett would have been on the mound last night against Carpenter on the big stage.

We have a number one, Lester, who I hope decides in the off season he has a huge responsibility to embrace that opportunity. BenCh has a big job during the off season to find a legit #2, with Buch #3. If Aceves decides he wants to be a starter, and believe me--he will be better than Beckett because he will embrace it, he will welcome the challenge---it will be easier to find a #4 and a #5 either from inside or outside the org.

So Susan, Rickerd, 86rs this is probably so far out there for a thought, it's not going to happen but we have to make some changes--we don't need Young just like we don't need Cuddyer--we can bring back Papi and Pap(less likely because I think he would like to pitch in Philly and close for that staff), or CC Sab--we do need to identify who will play third and who will play right and if we lose Papi who will DH and if we lose Pap who will close. 

I feel so confident in Ben that if he has to fill all these positions he has already identified who he wants and the depth he might need to go to cover those positions.

Just imagine being Ben and having approximately $65 M(inc. Lackey's money) to shop with from Nov. 1 to Dec. 15--we should be able to find a closer, one or two starters a left-handed DH, a right fielder and a third baseman with that kind of money.

Time to put the car in drive Ben!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Beckett for Young?  In what universe is Young equal to Beckett. Beckett was awful the last month but he is a premier pitcher and has won two world series as the dominant player in each.  You have to get a lot more than Michael Young. It is ridiculous even with a minor league player thrown in. Let Texas throw in another major player and we can send them a minor leaguer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]Young and a minor league pitcher for Beckett would be a great move, assuming Tough Guy Youk exits.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

This is stupid as it gets on many levels...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Beckett for Young?  In what universe is Young equal to Beckett. Beckett was awful the last month but he is a premier pitcher and has won two world series as the dominant player in each.  You have to get a lot more than Michael Young. It is ridiculous even with a minor league player thrown in. Let Texas throw in another major player and we can send them a minor leaguer.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]
    Josh Beckett has an ERA of 7.71 over his last four postseason starts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

I would love to get Michael Young for third base. I am all for Youkilis as DH as I think third base is neutralizing him. I doubt that Texas is going to let him go, though. JMO

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I like the idea of Young at 3b, especially coupled with Youk as DH. With Young, Youk able to also play 1b, a DH rotation of sorts to keep both of them and Gonzo fresh would be perfect. Young could even spell Pedey at 2b a few times. I love Papi, but we need the flexibility to give guys a day off in the field. As for Beckett for Young trade, there probably would have to be some other parts involved, but I think Texas would relish getting a local guy like Beckett, and I havebeen saying since the season ended the Sox really need to move him. a) his one year on one year off history goes back 7 years now, so that does not bode well for next years performance and b) Management needs to make a statement that the team attitude needs to be different next year and with Lackey on the DL, and Lester being the Ace, it comes down to moving Beckett or Buchholz, and you clearly will get more return for Beckett at this time

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Michael Young to play third for Sox? : Josh Beckett has an ERA of 7.71 over his last four postseason starts.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Three of these starts occurred in 2008 post season.  Beckett was on DL twice that year, one for lower strained back and again for strained elbow.  He should have been shut down for the rest of the season, instead he pitched with his less than 100% healthy elbow for the rest of the season.

But he came back strong on the following season winning 17 games. 

Seriously, if you look at Texas's starting pitchers in the post season, none of them dominate.  They all looked inexperience!!!  Same goes to Tampa's staffs.  If Beckett is 100% healthy for the post season, I would take him over any Texas/Tampa's staffs!!

Sections
Shortcuts