middlebroks trade bait

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyjim. Show soxyjim's posts

middlebroks trade bait

this is just a thought.the sox could afford to let him go with some cash

for a decent starter.sox have great kids in the minors who can play short

and 3rd.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: middlebroks trade bait

Problem is there is no "decent starter" you are going to get with just Middelbrooks.

Smaller market teams have become more savvy when dealing with the Cherryingtons and Cashmans of MLB. They want prospects and lots of them. This is the whole Moneyball thing. Dump the player who is either already making too much ( well, seriously that is all of them anyway!) or about to jump ship for a big contract and collect a bunch of players who may fail, but are cheap, and chances are at least one will turn out to be something....then when he reaches that point you flip him over for more prospects. This keeps the tap running on young players, your team never gets old, never spends as much as the big boys , and may catch lightning in a bottle and make a World Series appearance ( see Coloardo, Tampa Bay).

Unless your opinion of a "decent t starter" includes Jake Peavy, who is being moved mostly because he is a has-been who never really was.

This guy hasn't had a "decent" year since 2007.

Are they seriously going to move a guy with a tremendous upside such as Middlebrooks for a broken down has-been who is almost guaranteed to be a flop? Sure, his 8-4 W/L looks impressive, but after looking at 2008-2012, I have to believe this is a fluke.

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Don't sell low on Middlebrooks for a 12 start rental.  He could be a very special player.  Even if he's not, there will be a point where he is far more valuable as a trade chip than he is at the moment.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Wow WMB had a bad month or two at the age of 24 and few want him out of here.  Really painful to see some of these "Fans".  And it's Middlebrooks, not middlebroks.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Wow WMB had a bad month or two at the age of 24 and few want him out of here.  Really painful to see some of these "Fans".  And it's Middlebrooks, not middlebroks.  

We have a few posters that don't have a CAPS lock on their keyboard. Or they are just too lazy to use it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

As DAD would say .................    "SON, just do it "!!!!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Yes, but "dad" wasn't talking about making a trade.....was he?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

and what would you trade him for? and who? any specific proposals.....would you ever want to trade him if he didn't slump for that one month?

Seriously this kid was the #1 prospect in the Sox system and he slumps and goes through some adversity at 24 years old and everyone wants to throw him under the bus.

I'm not saying trading him is a bad idea, but it seems like people are holding his performance (which looked even worse in the face of competely ridiculous expectations) earlier this year against him.  Now it's as if some people dislike him and just want to get rid of him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

I absolutely dont think you trade him.... he is still very young and with really good potential.... I think he just needs time to figure it all out and then you will have a very good bat... too soon to give up on him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Sending him to AAA was the perfect reality check for him. He needs to learn patience at the plate and learn to take what they give him. Id rather see 20-25HR and an OBP around 360 with a decent K/BB ratio instead of 30HR a 310OBP and 160K's.

Theres no way you sell low on this kid right now, especially with his potential.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

So we Trade Middlebrooks, based on the fact that he had a Sophomore Slump, ignoring the power numbers he put up as an Impressive Rookie, and we depend on another Rookie next year in Boegaarts, who though he is learly a great prospect as shown nothing yet at the Major league level.....and if Boegaarts starts slow do we start posting to trade him , so we can depend on another Rookie in Cecchinni? Giving up on Middlebrooks for a #4 or 5 starter who wont be better than the #4 or 5 starter we already have is a real bad move 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Sending him to AAA was the perfect reality check for him. He needs to learn patience at the plate and learn to take what they give him. Id rather see 20-25HR and an OBP around 360 with a decent K/BB ratio instead of 30HR a 310OBP and 160K's.

Theres no way you sell low on this kid right now, especially with his potential.

me too, but I don't think WMB is ever a high OBP guy.  I can see him eclipsing .350 in his prime seasons, but that will likely be due to a higher average.  I see him as a .270/.330 guy with 80 RBI's and 20-25 HR's with above average defense at 3B.  For half a decade of team control....you don't just throw that guy away. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

me too, but I don't think WMB is ever a high OBP guy.  I can see him eclipsing .350 in his prime seasons, but that will likely be due to a higher average.  I see him as a .270/.330 guy with 80 RBI's and 20-25 HR's with above average defense at 3B.  For half a decade of team control....you don't just throw that guy away. 

I agree...I dont think hes a high OBP guy on a regular basis either, hanging around .325-.340 with .360 being a high for him. He has unbelieveable opposite field power and should take advantage of that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

The Red Sox have Bogaerts, Cecchini and Holt who could also play 3rd.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

That means that in the right deal, Middlebrooks goes in a heartbeat  !!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Zilla, I can understand not wanting to pay the price for Peavy, but...

"Unless your opinion of a "decent t starter" includes Jake Peavy, who is being moved mostly because he is a has-been who never really was."

A "never really was" who led he league in ERA twice and won a Cy Young? Really?

"This guy hasn't had a "decent" year since 2007."

A 3.37 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, over 200 innings, and close to 4.0 K/BB last year does not qualify as "decent"?

Are you sure you're thinking of the right person?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I agree...I dont think hes a high OBP guy on a regular basis either, hanging around .325-.340 with .360 being a high for him. He has unbelieveable opposite field power and should take advantage of that.

Exactly!  I think everyone assumes that Bogaerts will play 3B and Middlebrooks goes away or something.  He is the best defensive option there so he could still stick and Bogaerts could go to the outfield.  I also don't think it's unrealistic to assume that the club still isn't sold on Iggy as the SS of the future and from what I've heard they are much more confident in Bogaerts defense.  They could easily play Boggy at 3rd and trade high on Iglesias (I don't believe this....just htink it's possible.)

But I can see the Sox bringing up Bogaerts to play third and moving Iggy back to SS where he would add more value on defense.  With Middlebrooks coming back up in September and being able to contribute on the bench and maybe even at 1B if Napoli really continues to struggle (I know he's been alittle hot lately) 

If Middlebrooks does get traded.....I would think he would go during the winter and not at the trade deadline.

Just some thoughts....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Problem is there is no "decent starter" you are going to get with just Middelbrooks.

Smaller market teams have become more savvy when dealing with the Cherryingtons and Cashmans of MLB. They want prospects and lots of them. This is the whole Moneyball thing. Dump the player who is either already making too much ( well, seriously that is all of them anyway!) or about to jump ship for a big contract and collect a bunch of players who may fail, but are cheap, and chances are at least one will turn out to be something....then when he reaches that point you flip him over for more prospects. This keeps the tap running on young players, your team never gets old, never spends as much as the big boys , and may catch lightning in a bottle and make a World Series appearance ( see Coloardo, Tampa Bay).

Unless your opinion of a "decent t starter" includes Jake Peavy, who is being moved mostly because he is a has-been who never really was.

Are they seriously going to move a guy with a tremendous upside such as Middlebrooks for a broken down has-been who is almost guaranteed to be a flop? Sure, his 8-4 W/L looks impressive, but after looking at 2008-2012, I have to believe this is a fluke.

"All the president is, is a glorified public relations man who spends his time flattering, kissing and kicking people to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway." - Harry S. Truman

Look at his numbers last year please.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Look at his numbers last year please.

Middlebrooks isn't going anywhere this season...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

You won't get a good player for WMB straight but you could get a decent player.  You would be selling low on him, but teams aren't dumb.  They realize that he is still young, doesn't even have a full season under his belt and a bad start this year is in no way an indictment on his prospect status.  But yes Middlebrooks value has been demolished.....but it all depends on who is looking.  There is a team out there that would pay for Middlebrooks, they'd be buying low...but not that low and packaged up with another prospect or two he could bring back a VERY good player.

Personally I want to hold onto WMB for now, but I do think he could become expendable.  Although if he is traded.....by money goes on him being moved during the winter and NOT this july 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

DO NOT TRADE MIDDLEBROOKS.

Right-handed power hitters don't exactly grow on trees. If there's a logjam at 3B, move him to 1B. With the Rizzo (then A-Gon) trade, there's not exactly a line of prospects waiting to take over 1B

Maybe Middlebrooks will fizzle but what he showed in 75 games last year is to enticing to give up on so soon.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Middlebrooks also can play 1B and DH.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Exactly!  I think everyone assumes that Bogaerts will play 3B and Middlebrooks goes away or something.  He is the best defensive option there so he could still stick and Bogaerts could go to the outfield.  I also don't think it's unrealistic to assume that the club still isn't sold on Iggy as the SS of the future and from what I've heard they are much more confident in Bogaerts defense.  They could easily play Boggy at 3rd and trade high on Iglesias (I don't believe this....just htink it's possible.)

But I can see the Sox bringing up Bogaerts to play third and moving Iggy back to SS where he would add more value on defense.  With Middlebrooks coming back up in September and being able to contribute on the bench and maybe even at 1B if Napoli really continues to struggle (I know he's been alittle hot lately) 

If Middlebrooks does get traded.....I would think he would go during the winter and not at the trade deadline.

Just some thoughts....

Im curious to see where Iggy ends up this year offensively. Hes batted about .200 for July witha sub .500OPS and no walks in the last 2 weeks. All those lucky IF hits and the little squibbers that found a hole isnt happening for him anymore and hes starting to look anxious at the plate again.

If they think Bogaerts can handle SS for the long term, Iggy could be the one to go. But either way, I dont think either one of WM or Iggy get moved this year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

You won't get a good player for WMB straight but you could get a decent player.  You would be selling low on him, but teams aren't dumb.  They realize that he is still young, doesn't even have a full season under his belt and a bad start this year is in no way an indictment on his prospect status.  But yes Middlebrooks value has been demolished.....but it all depends on who is looking.  There is a team out there that would pay for Middlebrooks, they'd be buying low...but not that low and packaged up with another prospect or two he could bring back a VERY good player.

Personally I want to hold onto WMB for now, but I do think he could become expendable.  Although if he is traded.....by money goes on him being moved during the winter and NOT this july 

Agree and why trade him for Peavy who I do think is pretty good still but pretty good is negated if youre always on the DL...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If Sox are ready to deal Middlebrooks, it won't be Peavy coming to Boston in return.  They will ask for younger and healthier TOR guy with more team control years.  

Sections
Shortcuts