Middlebrooks 3B positioning?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Middlebrooks 3B positioning?

I'm not sure how many balls hit by guys like Wells, Cervelli and Youk could have been handled but it's the fifth inning and Middy has yet to adjust to/gaurd the 3B line which could continue to cost us. 

Someone on the coaching staff needs to make the adjustment against RHH. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Middlebrooks 3B positioning?

You can bet big money he never positions himself--the dugout always moves the fielders around.  And rarely do thirdbasemen camp right on the 3b line. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

You can bet big money he never positions himself--the dugout always moves the fielders around.  And rarely do thirdbasemen camp right on the 3b line. 

Understood but after three hits in basically the same place our coaching staff should make the adjustment.  Middy's a big kid, he doesn't need to stand on 3B to have a chance at these balls.  Having Iggy at SS should allow us to cheat a bit more.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Understood but after three hits in basically the same place our coaching staff should make the adjustment.  Middy's a big kid, he doesn't need to stand on 3B to have a chance at these balls.  Having Iggy at SS should allow us to cheat a bit more.

One thing to consider. They position fielders with the way they want to pitch to batters, so if the pitcher isn't hitting his spot, the defenders will be out of position.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

One thing to consider. They position fielders with the way they want to pitch to batters, so if the pitcher isn't hitting his spot, the defenders will be out of position.

Good point Roy and Lester's pitches were tailing in quite a bit on righties today but the adjustment should still be made accordingly.  A great game all the way around regardless, especially on the pitching side.  Hopefully we can close it out and give Lester a much deserved start to help build his confidence this season. 

Also great to see Ells, Iggy and especially Salty get on base.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

middlebrooks positioning doesnt bother me, it is his throws to first...i hope he can keep it calibrated this year and throw consistently to 1B w/o the 1B having to chase after it...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

From what I read in his scouting reports to everything I saw last year when he played in Boston there is nothing that bothers me about Middlebrooks defense.  I'm not going to start worrying about it after one game either.  I don't want to be accused of blasphemy here, but I wouldn't be surprised if the kid goes through a sophmore slump...regardless I think he has a very bright future ahead of him. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Seriously if they had 3 hits to his left the thread would be about that or Inglesias cant go to hs right!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Positioning has everything to do with where the COACHES tell him to go depending on the situation, batter and pitch selection.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Positioning has everything to do with where the COACHES tell him to go depending on the situation, batter and pitch selection.

I think we are being a little exact here....I dont think Coaches postion fielders based on what pitch is being thrown....positioning his two fold...situational....men on base, lefty, righty etc and then pre game discusiions based on batter tendencies, spray charts, and how that days  pitcher will approach them....that said, the originals OP's point that the coaches need to take into consideration who they have playing SS is a valid one, but hopefully one that was indeed considered and they were just unlucky on the hits down the line.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

I think we are being a little exact here....I dont think Coaches postion fielders based on what pitch is being thrown....positioning his two fold...situational....men on base, lefty, righty etc and then pre game discusiions based on batter tendencies, spray charts, and how that days  pitcher will approach them....that said, the originals OP's point that the coaches need to take into consideration who they have playing SS is a valid one, but hopefully one that was indeed considered and they were just unlucky on the hits down the line.

The bold is true but coaches certainly position players on what pitch and where the pitch is being called for. If you call a curve ball that you want to break to the outside corner or a fastball ball to the outside corner, those pitches aren't the type you expect a RH hitter to pull down the line. So you shift the fielders accordingly. But if the curveball hangs or the pitcher misses location and the ball comes inside then that pitch can definitely be pulled down the line.

Pitch selection and location has nearly everything to do with positioning of fielders.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

The bottom line is, it was just an observation that was obviousy overlooked by everyone and may have cost us a couple runs even though we won the game.  The RHH's were being jammed inside by Lester and as a result were pulling pitches down the line on balls that could have been adjusted to, especially with Iggy's range at SS. 

If anyone watching the game disagrees thats fine but Middy was nowhere close on any of the hits.  My comment wasn't meant as being a habit of Middy's but was definately a problem in the first game period.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

The bold is true but coaches certainly position players on what pitch and where the pitch is being called for. If you call a curve ball that you want to break to the outside corner or a fastball ball to the outside corner, those pitches aren't the type you expect a RH hitter to pull down the line. So you shift the fielders accordingly. But if the curveball hangs or the pitcher misses location and the ball comes inside then that pitch can definitely be pulled down the line.

Pitch selection and location has nearly everything to do with positioning of fielders.

I understand the logic of how different pitches could require you to want fielders to move a bit, but coaches are not pitch by pitch motioning from the dugout to move the fielders.....in some cases the Catcher is calling the game so the coaches wouldnt even know what pitch is called.....again, in a game plan, it is decided how they will approach each batter....steady diet of curves.....hard stuff inside.....etc....and depending on the situation fielders should move on their own to the proper place, when they dont coaches should motion for them to move.....I could be wrong but that is me experience from  a viewers standpoint only 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The bottom line is, it was just an observation that was obviousy overlooked by everyone and may have cost us a couple runs even though we won the game.  The RHH's were being jammed inside by Lester and as a result were pulling pitches down the line on balls that could have been adjusted to, especially with Iggy's range at SS. 

If anyone watching the game disagrees thats fine but Middy was nowhere close on any of the hits.  It wasn't meant as being a habit of Middy's but was definately a problem in the first game period.

Maybe they wanted to go outside with them and Lester didn't make his pitches. Until we know what they wanted to do with each hitter, we can only speculate. Most guys try not to go inside on guys like Wells because they can turn on those pitches. Kinda like Ross did last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

If anyone watching the game disagrees thats fine but Middy was nowhere close on any of the hits.  It wasn't meant as being a habit of Middy's but was definately a problem in the first game period.

Maybe they wanted to go outside with them and Lester didn't make his pitches. Until we know what they wanted to do with each hitter, we can only speculate. Most guys try not to go inside on guys like Wells because they can turn on those pitches. Kinda like Ross did last year. 

southpaw, anytime the same thing happens four times and eventually costs us a couple of runs it not speculation but evaluation and adjustments should be made.  It was obvious Lesters control wasn't changing much over the course of five innings.  Wells just missed a hit, then had one in the same area along with Youk and Cervelli.

No harm, no foul we won the game!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I understand the logic of how different pitches could require you to want fielders to move a bit, but coaches are not pitch by pitch motioning from the dugout to move the fielders.....in some cases the Catcher is calling the game so the coaches wouldnt even know what pitch is called.....again, in a game plan, it is decided how they will approach each batter....steady diet of curves.....hard stuff inside.....etc....and depending on the situation fielders should move on their own to the proper place, when they dont coaches should motion for them to move.....I could be wrong but that is me experience from  a viewers standpoint only 

No, but they also know when the batter comes up how they want to pitch him, which sets up the original positioning. So if they want to pitch a RH hitter away (a curveball that breaks over the outside corner or a fastball on the outside corner), they're not going to have the 3B hug the line.

Teams know how they want to approach each hitter based on the scouting report and that is how the positioning is determined. A coach from the dugout will motion players to adjust if they're not in the right position. Fielder's don't simply guess at where they should be. That those hits went down the line means the pitch location was missed. 

Lester had been solid most of the game with pitch location, so you can't expect a fielder to guess what pitch would miss.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

No, but they also know when the batter comes up how they want to pitch him, which sets up the original positioning. So if they want to pitch a RH hitter away (a curveball that breaks over the outside corner or a fastball on the outside corner), they're not going to have the 3B hug the line.

Teams know how they want to approach each hitter based on the scouting report and that is how the positioning is determined. A coach from the dugout will motion players to adjust if they're not in the right position. Fielder's don't simply guess at where they should be. That those hits went down the line means the pitch location was missed. 

Lester had been solid most of the game with pitch location, so you can't expect a fielder to guess what pitch would miss.

Roy, some players automatically adjust to certain batters after seeing them play day in and day out.  It's not always the coaching staff making the call either, in some cases you even see an If, or another player giving them hints on where they should be.  The first game was a nice outing for Lester but he was either in the strike zone or way outside or inside for most of the five innings so there was definately a trend that could have been adjusted to.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Roy, some players automatically adjust to certain batters after seeing them play day in and day out.  It's not always the coaching staff making the play, insome cases you even see an If, or another player giving them hints on where they should be.  The first game was a nice outing for Lester but he was either in the strike zone or way outside or inside for most of the five innings so there was definately a trend that could have been adjusted to.

Lesters control was somewhat off Monday which would make it even harder to position a player. If he was spot on, Id like to think the result would be different, but Im not going to suggest I know what went on.

Like you said though, we won and time to move on to the next game.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Roy, some players automatically adjust to certain batters after seeing them play day in and day out.  It's not always the coaching staff making the play, insome cases you even see an If, or another player giving them hints on where they should be.  The first game was a nice outing for Lester but he was either in the strike zone or way outside or inside for most of the five innings so there was definately a trend that could have been adjusted to.

Lesters control was somewhat off Monday which would make it even harder to position a player. If he was spot on, Id like to think the result would be different, but Im not going to suggest I know what went on.

A good win for the entire club and our fans, hopefully another one tonight.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

A good win for the entire club and our fans, hopefully another one tonight.

agreed. Heres to a good game for Buchholz and taking a 2nd one in the Bronx.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Roy, some players automatically adjust to certain batters after seeing them play day in and day out.  It's not always the coaching staff making the call either, in some cases you even see an If, or another player giving them hints on where they should be.  The first game was a nice outing for Lester but he was either in the strike zone or way outside or inside for most of the five innings so there was definately a trend that could have been adjusted to.

If he was either way outside or way inside, how can a fielder adust. Is he supposed to guess at where the pitch is going to miss? (Personally, I thought that except for that one inning, Lester's control was pretty good -- 7 Ks, 2 BBs.)

Unless there is no scouting report on a player, fielder's don't automatically decide how they're going to position themselves. Positioning is based on the scouting report on the player's tendancies and how they plan to approach him. If an adjustment is made, it's talked about. For instance, if a pitcher can't get a certain pitch to work and needs to approach batters differently than planned, they talk about it make adjustments as a team, not by individual whim.

Those hits that went down the line. I don't recall those batters hitting the ball down the line like that in previous at-bats. So was Middlebrooks supposed to know that this time, Lester would miss and the batter would pull the ball down the line this time?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

It was a good win and I am sure Lessons were learned in many plays and instances during the game....more importantly, we just proved that posters could have a back and forthe discusiion on thsi board all while remaining civil and not using one insult....thanks guys...it is pleasure to gain from others baseball insights.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

It was a good win and I am sure Lessons were learned in many plays and instances during the game....more importantly, we just proved that posters could have a back and forthe discusiion on thsi board all while remaining civil and not using one insult....thanks guys...it is pleasure to gain from others baseball insights.

I appreciate someone elses POV. Sometime looking at it in a way I havent could change my opinion on something and even teach me something new I might not have known. Even if it doesnt change my stance, I respect a valid point made.

Its good to disagree and not jump down eachothers throat and be nasty about it. We can all be a little stubborn in how we view things, myself included, but agreeing to disagree is always an option.