Middlebrooks and Doubront for Trumbo ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Middlebrooks and Doubront for Trumbo ...

I'm sure the Sox will bring in a utility guy who can play the left side of the infield, but it won't be some great "backup plan in case Middlebrooks struggles."  That's not how it works.  Billy Beane used to say you spend the 1st third of the season figuring out what you have & the 2nd third of the season trying to make improvements where they are necessary.  Trust me, there is not going to be a "serious contigency plan." By the way, if the Sox Front Office was so "down" on Middlebrooks, they wouldn't have told everyone who asked that he was unavailable at the deadline.  My "guess" is that the Sox Management understands that he had a serious wrist injury, he may have started believing his own hype & he's not the first player in MLB history who struggled to make adjustments as quickly as the "fans" wanted him to.

If Middlebrooks is brutal, they'll likely make a move for a stop gap 3rd baseman, but again, if he's here, he's going to get a long look at 3rd.  They aren't moving him to first, they aren't moving Bogaerts off of SS & they aren't bringing in a guy who can start over the long haul in case Middlebrooks fails.  You can keep posting this stuff all the way through spring training, but "realistically," Middlebrooks & Bogaerts are going to be starting on the left side of the infield.  They aren't going to rotate 4 guys at 1st base & they aren't overly concerned with Ortiz getting an occasional rest in NL parks.  

I know they are not going to rotate 4 guys at 1B., but there may be 3 guys in the mix at ST, if we don't sign a FA 1Bman plus Papi for some NL games.

A lot depends on Nava's need in LF. If we sign Beltran to play LF, then Nava will platoon at 1B with Carp, and Middy stays put at 3B or is traded.

If Nava is needed in LF, and we sign a decwent SS, then a 2 man platoon at 1B could occur: Middy/Carp with Carp getting some time at 3B vs some righties as Bogey sits or as Bogey backs-up the new SS.

I'm not talking some wild and crazy 5 way rotation and platoon.

Again, as I have said many many times already: I do not think Ben or Farrell are thinking along these lines. I expect they are planning on Bogey at SS, Middy at 3B, obtaining a decent utility IF'er and rolling the dice. If Middy struggles, they can trade for a 3Bman or SS and adjust if needed. If Cecchini is ready by mid-season, we may see him take Middy's slot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the Sox wanted their backup infielder to be a contingency, they eould not have traded Iglesias. 

The role of the utility infielder is to be able to play multiple positions and to do so for as little money as possible.

The contingency plan for Middlebrooks is Cecchini...

[/QUOTE]

Maybe by July or August, but what if Middy is bombing out by mid May?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Like last year?

The original contingency plan was Iglesias.  But even sfter his trade, the Sox played a significant syretch with Snyder and Holt.  They could easily stopgap again with Holt and McCoy like last year...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

And maybe they can get lucky and grab Vince Belnome in the Rule5 draft.  He is a solid contingency...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

And maybe they can get lucky and grab Vince Belnome in the Rule5 draft.  He is a solid contingency...

That was a potent West Virginia University infield in 2009 with Jedd Gyorko and Vince Belnome:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/teams/stats.asp?Y=2009&T=20195

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Like last year?

The original contingency plan was Iglesias.  But even sfter his trade, the Sox played a significant syretch with Snyder and Holt.  They could easily stopgap again with Holt and McCoy like last year...

[/QUOTE]

notin, what's your opinion on the third base defense of Middy vs Bogey.

Assuming you thin Middy is better at this moment, how long might it be for Bogey to equal or get better than Middy, if ever?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Rays added Belnome to their 40 man roster.  Should have guessed.  I think Andrew Friedman follows me on Twitter. ..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Like last year?

[/QUOTE]

notin, what's your opinion on the third base defense of Middy vs Bogey.

Assuming you thin Middy is better at this moment, how long might it be for Bogey to equal or get better than Middy, if ever?

[/QUOTE]

I think Bogaerts could be better than Middlebrooks, but that is inconsequential speculation.  Both will probably man the left side next year...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm sure the Sox will bring in a utility guy who can play the left side of the infield, but it won't be some great "backup plan in case Middlebrooks struggles."  That's not how it works.  Billy Beane used to say you spend the 1st third of the season figuring out what you have & the 2nd third of the season trying to make improvements where they are necessary.  Trust me, there is not going to be a "serious contigency plan." By the way, if the Sox Front Office was so "down" on Middlebrooks, they wouldn't have told everyone who asked that he was unavailable at the deadline.  My "guess" is that the Sox Management understands that he had a serious wrist injury, he may have started believing his own hype & he's not the first player in MLB history who struggled to make adjustments as quickly as the "fans" wanted him to.

If Middlebrooks is brutal, they'll likely make a move for a stop gap 3rd baseman, but again, if he's here, he's going to get a long look at 3rd.  They aren't moving him to first, they aren't moving Bogaerts off of SS & they aren't bringing in a guy who can start over the long haul in case Middlebrooks fails.  You can keep posting this stuff all the way through spring training, but "realistically," Middlebrooks & Bogaerts are going to be starting on the left side of the infield.  They aren't going to rotate 4 guys at 1st base & they aren't overly concerned with Ortiz getting an occasional rest in NL parks.  

I know they are not going to rotate 4 guys at 1B., but there may be 3 guys in the mix at ST, if we don't sign a FA 1Bman plus Papi for some NL games.

A lot depends on Nava's need in LF. If we sign Beltran to play LF, then Nava will platoon at 1B with Carp, and Middy stays put at 3B or is traded.

If Nava is needed in LF, and we sign a decwent SS, then a 2 man platoon at 1B could occur: Middy/Carp with Carp getting some time at 3B vs some righties as Bogey sits or as Bogey backs-up the new SS.

I'm not talking some wild and crazy 5 way rotation and platoon.

Again, as I have said many many times already: I do not think Ben or Farrell are thinking along these lines. I expect they are planning on Bogey at SS, Middy at 3B, obtaining a decent utility IF'er and rolling the dice. If Middy struggles, they can trade for a 3Bman or SS and adjust if needed. If Cecchini is ready by mid-season, we may see him take Middy's slot.

[/QUOTE]

Agree withmost   of all...trade Doub or Middy, never...get a solid  rbi first baseman to hit behind Papi, the rest is fine tuning, ben is a magician in that respect... Beltran A must...bogey deserves full chance at SS...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Time to switch Rule 5 targets for the Sox to Cole Figuroa (INF) or Merrill Kelly (RHRP).  

Or both.  Loot that Rays' farm...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Time to switch Rule 5 targets for the Sox to Cole Figuroa (INF) or Merrill Kelly (RHRP).  

[/QUOTE]

Sounds good.

Who are we going to lose?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sounds good.

[/QUOTE]

The big fear is Diaz, but in 6 years he has yet to get above A-ball.  Any team taking him or de la Cruz will likely be looking to make a trade.

Other potential candidates are Couch, Kurcz and possibly Gibson.  Gibson is rreally only a utility infielder anyway, and a chesper option for a cost- conscious GM thsn an MLB free agent vet...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sounds good.

[/QUOTE]

The big fear is Diaz, but in 6 years he has yet to get above A-ball.  Any team taking him or de la Cruz will likely be looking to make a trade.

Other potential candidates are Couch, Kurcz and possibly Gibson.  Gibson is rreally only a utility infielder anyway, and a chesper option for a cost- conscious GM thsn an MLB free agent vet...

[/QUOTE]

I hope we don't lose Diaz.

I guess if you are a 90 loss team, it can be easy to keep him on their 25 man roster.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Diaz is a tough loss barring a subsequent trade.  Then it depends what you get.  I would ecpect the pitching-bereft Cubs to have him on their radar, but a trade would make sense for them at that point.  No idea what they send back, but their farm is impressive almost everywhere else.

It is also possible some team gambles on the 98mph fastball of Chris Carpenter.  To which I say, "Good luck with that."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Diaz is a tough loss barring a subsequent trade.  Then it depends what you get.  I would ecpect the pitching-bereft Cubs to have him on their radar, but a trade would make sense for them at that point.  No idea what they send back, but their farm is impressive almost everywhere else.

It is also possible some team gambles on the 98mph fastball of Chris Carpenter.  To which I say, "Good luck with that."

[/QUOTE]

Let's say we sign 3-5 free agents. We have 1 slot open and maybe the guys listed below might be DFA'd or traded. How many of these guys are better than what Diaz projects to be?

1) Bailey (probably will be non-tendered)

2) Castellanos

Villareal

Holt

Hassan

A. Wilson

Kalish

3 slots could be opened up by trading ...

3) Dempster or Peavy

4) Morales or Miller 

5) Lava or Butler

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I don't see why they need 5 catchers on the 40 man rostet.

Either Butler gets DFA'd or Lavarnway gets dealt...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't see why they need 5 catchers on the 40 man rostet.

Either Butler gets DFA'd or Lavarnway gets dealt...

[/QUOTE]

Yup.....one of those guys are gone, I was thinking the same thing the other day. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Or they could roll with Lavarnway and Ross on the25 man .  Not the best solution, but certainly the cheapest...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So, if we can get rid of 5-6 guys easily off the 40 man roster, and we might sign up to4 or  5 FAs, why didn't we protect Diaz?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

So, if we can get rid of 5-6 guys easily off the 40 man roster, and we might sign up to4 or  5 FAs, why didn't we protect Diaz?

[/QUOTE]

Because he is their 8th best pitching prospect, 4th best below AA ball?  How far do you go to protect a guy who hasn't reached AA in 5 professional seasons?

I think fans like him more than the Sox, who probably think A-ball players are less likely Rule 5 candidates

If he gets selected, a trade will probably get worked out. ..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

... as reportedly speculated in this morning's column from the Globe's Nick Cafardo:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/cafardo-on-trumbo-ethier-kemp-arroyo-red-sox.html

Because of his low on-base percentage, Mark Trumbo would be a poor replacement for Mike Napoli.

Will Middlebrooks' ceiling might be Trumbo, so the proposed trade could be enticing to the Angels, who need pitching and who could use Felix Doubront to replace lefthander Jason Vargas in the rotation.

Thoughts?

[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

I'd take the deal in a minute, don't know if the Angels will though

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because he is their 8th best pitching prospect, 4th best below AA ball?  How far do you go to protect a guy who hasn't reached AA in 5 professional seasons?

I think fans like him more than the Sox, who probably think A-ball players are less likely Rule 5 candidates

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. Makes sense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

• Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald tweets that the Red Sox consider Dioner Navarroto be a fallback option if the free agent market doesn't break their way, but not a primary target.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. Makes sense.

[/QUOTE]

Also bear in mind the Sox probably want an open spot on the 40-man so they can participate in the Rule 5 Draft.