Middlebrooks and Doubront for Trumbo ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Middlebrooks and Doubront for Trumbo ...

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

• Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald tweets that the Red Sox consider Dioner Navarroto be a fallback option if the free agent market doesn't break their way, but not a primary target.

[/QUOTE]

Navarro has not been a regular starting catcher since 2009.  At what point do they simply go with Lavarnway?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

• Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald tweets that the Red Sox consider Dioner Navarroto be a fallback option if the free agent market doesn't break their way, but not a primary target.

[/QUOTE]

Navarro has not been a regular starting catcher since 2009.  At what point do they simply go with Lavarnway?

[/QUOTE]

notin, what realistic percent of innings caught can we expect from a healthy Ross?

He hits righties about the same as lefties, and does not have a lot of wear and tear on his knees, since he has barely played long stretches his whole ML career.

If we do go with Lava (not my idea of a good move), I think Lava could start against lefties and maybe a third or more of the righties, leaving Ross with maybe 65-75 starts, but I think Ross could maybe start 90 or more if he has no injuries.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

"If we do go with Lava (not my idea of a good move), I think Lava could start against lefties and maybe a third or more of the righties, leaving Ross with maybe 65-75 starts, but I think Ross could maybe start 90 or more if he has no injuries."

What would be so wrong about letting some big league sunshine hit Vazquez or Swihart?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"If we do go with Lava (not my idea of a good move), I think Lava could start against lefties and maybe a third or more of the righties, leaving Ross with maybe 65-75 starts, but I think Ross could maybe start 90 or more if he has no injuries."

What would be so wrong about letting some big league sunshine hit Vazquez or Swihart?

[/QUOTE]

Swihart has yet to play above Single-A, so I wouldn't be counting on him for 2014. Vazquez, on the other hand, I think we'll see at some point (maybe by midseason?), but he'll start the year in Pawtucket for sure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

Because neither are MLB ready, and have more to work on than some think.

Vasquez, while having all the makings of a plus plus defensive catcher had an INSANE amount of pass balls last year and his bat is still developing.

Swihart is just 21 years old and hasn't hit above A ball yet, also keep in mind he doesn't have a protoypical catchers frames and would not handle the rigors of everyday catching for a full season right now. He hasn't even eclipsed 400 at bats yet.

We need a sure thing, we need consistency, and while I'm one of the biggest advocates of handing the keys over to the kids in here....there is also a time and place for it and neither of those two are ready. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's hard for a playoff contender to give significant playing time to a young catcher.

With so much money tied up in our pitching staff, we need to go with familiarity (Salty or Ross) or someone experienced enough to pick it all up very quickly.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ross is not a 90 game a year catcher. 60-70 is his limit.

Navarro caught 90 games last year with a .300BA .365OBP .492SLG and would be my choice if Salty moves on.

I think if he sticks around 90-100 games and Ross takes the rest, that would be a good catching tandum. Between the 2 catchers we could pay under 7M. Lav, Vasquez, or Butler could be used if theres an injury. provided one doesnt get moved this winter.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Navarro is about an anti-Saltalamacchia as it gets.

Navarro is a switch hitter better from the right side, whereas Salty is better from the left.

Salty is tall and lanky.  Navarro is short and roly-poly.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Navarro is a switch hitter better from the right side, whereas Salty is better from the left.

Since Ross is nearly identical vs lefties or righties, either platoon works out about the same from Ross' point of view.

Sections
Shortcuts