Middlebrooks/Bogaerts >>>>> Sizemore/Bradley

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Middlebrooks/Bogaerts >>>>> Sizemore/Bradley

So why in the world do I keep reading threads about who should start in CF?  Neither guy is as likely to replace Ellsbury's offense as Middlebrooks and/or Bogaerts.  That's where our focus should be.  This year CF is a sideshow. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Middlebrooks/Bogaerts >>>>> Sizemore/Bradley

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So why in the world do I keep reading threads about who should start in CF?  Neither guy is as likely to replace Ellsbury's offense as Middlebrooks and/or Bogaerts.  That's where our focus should be.  This year CF is a sideshow. 

[/QUOTE]Not really...... C F will/would be in good hands with Bradley and or Sizemore.....  The position to watch is R F as Victorino looks like he is hurting at this point !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Why?  Because it's another debating point for our little Armchair GM Club here LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lets see..... 3B-? SS-? CF-? LF-? C-?   Nice way to start your season. Are we all hooked on red sox fishing pole ? Reel us in make you some money and tell us everything is just fine. Are you falling for that CF battle? A broken down maybe Sizemore or Coco Crisp twin brother with less power. Old broken down catchers? and more if's then entire MLB.Sox might still do ok .But if your thinking World Series ...Forget it !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

[QUOTE]

Lets see..... 3B-? SS-? CF-? LF-? C-?   Nice way to start your season. Are we all hooked on red sox fishing pole ? Reel us in make you some money and tell us everything is just fine. Are you falling for that CF battle? A broken down maybe Sizemore or Coco Crisp twin brother with less power. Old broken down catchers? and more if's then entire MLB.Sox might still do ok .But if your thinking World Series ...Forget it !!!

[/QUOTE]

ummmm.

3B - Will Middlebrooks (top prospect Cecchini on his tail)

SS - Xander Bogaerts

CF - Jackie Bradley JR. (Grady Sizemore)

LF- Nava/Gomes

C - AJP/Ross (withVasquez by years end

I don't understand where the confusion is.

I'm not thinking about going all out to win the world series this year, I'm thinking long term horizon.  Sure, we could have signed a bunch of BIG name FA's this year and increased our chances over the next year or 2....but by going young we've increased our chances for the next 10 years.

If WMB, Boagerts and Bradely don't work out, the Sox will have over a hundred million in payroll space over the next two years.  If they do work out, or 2 of them do, you STILL have that money to fill in the holes and then you will have a team MUCH better and poised to make a run at the WS for years to come.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If you want a window into why the Sox do the things they do then this is a must read.  There is a reason why they stick with WMB/Bogaerts instead of resigned Drew, there is a reason why they save 155 million and let Ellsbury walk and plug in JBJ, there is a reason why they let Salty walk and bridge a gap with AJP/Ross when they have Vasquez and Swihart in the wings.

The Sox want to be as young and healthy as they can be.  You DO NOT spend big in free agency when you have MLB top prospects in your pipeline ready for their shot; that is when you take the chance.  You then use your money to fill in the gaps with good defense, good OBP skills and you also use your money to extend your OWN guys where you see fit.

http://grantland.com/features/boston-red-sox-moneyball-but-with-money-2014-preview/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Seems like Bradley is doing well, Sizemore is doing well, Middlebrooks is doing well, and Bogaerts is doing well. How fun is this? We're loaded.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

ummmm.

SS - Xander Bogaerts

LF- Nava/Gomes

I'm not thinking about going all out to win the world series this year, I'm thinking long term horizon.  Sure, we could have signed a bunch of BIG name FA's this year and increased our chances over the next year or 2....but by going young we've increased our chances for the next 10 years.

If WMB, Boagerts and Bradely don't work out, the Sox will have over a hundred million in payroll space over the next two years.  If they do work out, or 2 of them do, you STILL have that money to fill in the holes and then you will have a team MUCH better and poised to make a run at the WS for years to come.

[/QUOTE]

When they fail this year? Who in your future players will be gone? Sox are going to try and repeat with patchwork again this year. Line-up loaded with if's.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

ummmm.

SS - Xander Bogaerts

LF- Nava/Gomes

[/QUOTE]

When they fail this year? Who in your future players will be gone? Sox are going to try and repeat with patchwork again this year. Line-up loaded with if's.....

[/QUOTE]

There are ALWAYS going to be some ifs.  When you have top prospects in all of baseball that have worked their way up thru the minor leagues you have to roll the dice with them.  If you don't THEN WHEN DO YOU??? do you want to be the New York Yankees and be in payroll h***???? At some point you HAVE to see what you have.  But how DUMB would it be to go out and spend money on a SS when you have a superstar waiting in the wings, #2 in all of baseball at SS.  WHY go out and sign a CF in his 30's who has an injury history to 20+ million a year into his late 30's when you have a top 25 in all of baseball guy waiting in the wings?  Why go out and get a 3B when you have a very highly regarded kid in WMB?

This isn't a gurantee that WMB won't struggle, for example, but those are the types of risks you HAVE to take if you want a young talented and cheap team.  Then you can go out and spend on filling in the roster where you DO NOT have top prospects and to extend your own guys.  There is huge value in spending money on your own young talent and having them until they are 30 instead of going out and paying them 20-25 million for years they are bound to decline.

The team that was RIGHT there with is in the world series, the St. Louis Cardinals operate like this as well.

Sit back, relax, and appreciate what the Sox are building here.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

This will probably be a difficult year especially in our division and after winning the WS.  The Yankees, Tampa and Orioles all have solid teams.  We will need an OF addition sooner rather than later and when we finally go after one it should be a centerpiece. 

... Victorino is hurt quite often,

... JBJ is raw

... Sizemore has been out of BBall for some time but has the tools

... Gomes will not be any better than last season against lefties because he is simply facing much more consistent pitching than before coming to Boston.

... Nava is a season to season platoon guy

... Carp, solid hitter but should not see time in the OF in my opinion

... Brentz and Hassan, one has power and the other better splits so it's a toss up whether either help our future

A big trade for Ryan Braun for the middle of our lineup if he has a solid start would be a great addition and make us instant contenders.  Great player, good splits power and defense along with a very reasonable long term contract.  It would also give the Brewers some nice pieces to rebuild with.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This will probably be a difficult year especially in our division and after winning the WS.  The Yankees, Tampa and Orioles all have solid teams.  We will need an OF addition sooner rather than later and when we finally go after one it should be a centerpiece. 

I do agree that OF seems to be the place to make a big upgrade, but I feel it needs to be  at some point before the start of 2015. While there are question marks about all of our current OF'ers, I feel that between the 8 we have, there will always be 3-4 capable ones healthy and doing well at any given time this season.

Yes, but he has no major injury or lingering impactful injury in his history.

... JBJ is raw

True, but he is at the age and level of experience where that is not a major factor anymore. I think he learned a lot from last year's hot ST followed by some struggles.

High upsise- low risk signing. He should help keep Shane in RF where he belongs.

... Gomes will not be any better than last season against lefties because he is simply facing much more consistent pitching than before coming to Boston.

I disagree. Gomes has a long history of killing lefties. I'm not sure the level of "consistency" of the lefties he faced last year was really a major upgrade than those he faced over the last 5-6 years. He did bat 30 points higher in OPS vs RHPs last year over 2012. Did he face less "consistent" righties last year?

I wonder if the Green Monster might have influenced his approach at the plate. He hit 86 points higher in OPS on the road (.811 to .725). I'd like to see the RH'd-LH'd splits at home.

Gomes was also forced to play vs RHPs more than expected, in my opinion, due to injuries to Victorino, Ellsbury and Nava's short time away from the team.

I expect bigger numbers vs LHPs this year... possibly huge numbers.

Being a great platoon guy is not a bad thing. Nava is one of the leagues best hitters vs RHPs. If we can keep him from having to ever start vs lefties, his overall numbers would look much better. If Sizemore remains healthy, the strict Nava-Gomes LF platoon should really boost our overall OF offensive numbers, but also, by keeping Nava & Gomes in LF, our OF defense will also be greatly improved.

I agree, and right now, I see him as tied with Hassan and Brentz as our 6th OF'er, so a lot of bad things need to happen for him to play any signidficant amount in the OF. Honestly, I think he will be traded by opening day, unless someone gets hurt, of we choose to get "creative" with the DL.

... Brentz and Hassan, one has power and the other better splits so it's a toss up whether either help our future

I like Hassan and his awesome OBP more than Brentz and his power.

A big trade for Ryan Braun for the middle of our lineup if he has a solid start would be a great addition and make us instant contenders.  Great player, good splits power and defense along with a very reasonable long term contract.  It would also give the Brewers some nice pieces to rebuild with.

I like the idea, but worry about how much PEDs boosted his numbers and increased his future chances of injury.

We will probably lose Gomes to free agency next winter, and Victorino the year after, so I do feel a big OF addition makes the most sense, especially if we can gain a big middle order bat to take the pressure off Papi and allow Napoli to bat 6th.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Line-up loaded with if's.....

Our line-up and staff were loaded with "ifs" last spring as well, in fact, I think we had more "ifs" last winter than this.

Lester has a better outlook this year than last.

Doubront is in great shape and coming off a better 2013 than he had in 2012.

Peavy has a better outlook than Dempster had last year.

Lackey is light years ahead of what we expected last spring.

Buchholz is probably about the same.

Our pen looks much more solid top to bottom than what our expectations were last year at this time.

Last year, many (including myself) doubted Victorino's ability to be an impact player. His apparent downward curve has been reversed. His split issues could be resloved by giving up on switch-hitting, and his injury issues, although still a concern, are not as serious as many felt they were last spring.

Napoli is way way way better situated this year than last. His hip injury appears to have halted further deterioration, his fielding looked superb, and his bat, although streaky, seems to be just fine.

AJ P & Ross may be a little more sketchy than how we felt about Salty/Ross/Lava last spring, but not by much, and with Vazquez nearing ML readiness, we now have an excellent defensive catcher in teh wings, in case one of our aging catchers gets hurt.

Papi is not a bigger concern this year than last, in fact, he was injured this time last year.

Pedey is Pedey.

Drew was a huge question mark last year. Is Bogey a bigger one this year?

Middy was a question mark last year as well as this year, but he looks good so far, and Cecchini is probably just about ready.

Herrera is better than Holt/Ciriaco.

Nava looks better now than last spring- Gomes maybe equally worse, so LF might be a wash.

Bradley/Sizemore is a big step down from Ellsbury, but as you may recall, doubts about Ellsbury's 2013 season were rampant last spring as well.

I think a strong case could be made that we have less "ifs" this year than last at this time.

Our farm is more likely to make an impact this year than last. We were rated the 5th best "Impact Farm" in MLB by fangraphs...

5 – Boston Red Sox
    - IMPACT (6) – 2B Mookie Betts, CF Jackie Bradley, SS XANDER BOGAERTS, 3B Garin Cecchini, LHP Henry Owens, RHP Allen Webster
    - Other 2013 Impact – None
    - Strength/Weakness – Strong position-player depth, particularly up the middle. Limited corner infield power options, though some of the middle guys, like Bogaerts, should eventually help out there.
    - Depth Ratio – 0.98
    - One I Like More – Cecchini – This guy is a perfect fit for Fenway Park, with aWade Boggs-like overall offensive portfolio. Has a career line of .312-.417-.457, with almost as many walks as whiffs. One cannot emphasize enough how much the Green Monster can help a lefthanded hitter, turning lots of routine opposite-field fly balls into wall doubles.
    - One I Like Less – C Blake Swihart – Another guy I like, but that I can’t call impact. I see a solid, everyday catcher who makes the trains run on time, not a star, though the arrows are moving in the right direction for the switch-hitter.
    - Observation – The Red Sox could get more value from their impact group in 2014 than any club, with Bogaerts and Bradley projected as starters and Webster and even Owens potential pitching contributors by season’s end. Just beyond the core group, RHP Matt Barnes could have his number called sometime in 2014 as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to crowtrobot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you probably said that last year. But I agree; it would take a major miracle for the SOX to repeat with what they have now as a line-up.

[/QUOTE]

I think you guys are overstating the holes in our lineup a bit.  What we're really down is Ellsbury and Drew.  We'll score fewer runs, no doubt.  But our starting rotation and bullpen both look solid.  We have a chance to be a very strong team again.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think you guys are overstating the holes in our lineup a bit.  What we're really down is Ellsbury and Drew.  We'll score fewer runs, no doubt.  But our starting rotation and bullpen both look solid.  We have a chance to be a very strong team again.

Our rotation looks better now than it did last spring.

Our bullpen looks way better than last spring.

Last spring our line-up had many question marks. I agree, the loss of Ellsbury and Drew (and Salty) will hurt, but I think there is a strong potential for Bogey to outperform Drew's 2013 on offense. I also think there are strong chances other players can pick up some or all of the slack from the loss of Ellsbury.

Pedey had an off year in 2013.

Napoli could improve on 2013 (see 2011 and 2008)

Middy was aweful in 2013: he could make a huge impact.

Gomes could hit lefties like he did before coming to Boston.

JBJ could do better than what many expect. Sizemore is a wild card.

AJ P and a healthy Ross might come close to what Salty gave us on offense last year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I do agree that OF seems to be the place to make a big upgrade, but I feel it needs to be  at some point before the start of 2015. While there are question marks about all of our current OF'ers, I feel that between the 8 we have, there will always be 3-4 capable ones healthy and doing well at any given time this season.

Yes, but he has no major injury or lingering impactful injury in his history.

... JBJ is raw

True, but he is at the age and level of experience where that is not a major factor anymore. I think he learned a lot from last year's hot ST followed by some struggles.

High upsise- low risk signing. He should help keep Shane in RF where he belongs.

I disagree. Gomes has a long history of killing lefties. I'm not sure the level of "consistency" of the lefties he faced last year was really a major upgrade than those he faced over the last 5-6 years. He did bat 30 points higher in OPS vs RHPs last year over 2012. Did he face less "consistent" righties last year?

I wonder if the Green Monster might have influenced his approach at the plate. He hit 86 points higher in OPS on the road (.811 to .725). I'd like to see the RH'd-LH'd splits at home.

Gomes was also forced to play vs RHPs more than expected, in my opinion, due to injuries to Victorino, Ellsbury and Nava's short time away from the team.

I expect bigger numbers vs LHPs this year... possibly huge numbers.

Being a great platoon guy is not a bad thing. Nava is one of the leagues best hitters vs RHPs. If we can keep him from having to ever start vs lefties, his overall numbers would look much better. If Sizemore remains healthy, the strict Nava-Gomes LF platoon should really boost our overall OF offensive numbers, but also, by keeping Nava & Gomes in LF, our OF defense will also be greatly improved.

I agree, and right now, I see him as tied with Hassan and Brentz as our 6th OF'er, so a lot of bad things need to happen for him to play any signidficant amount in the OF. Honestly, I think he will be traded by opening day, unless someone gets hurt, of we choose to get "creative" with the DL.

I like Hassan and his awesome OBP more than Brentz and his power.

A big trade for Ryan Braun for the middle of our lineup if he has a solid start would be a great addition and make us instant contenders.  Great player, good splits power and defense along with a very reasonable long term contract.  It would also give the Brewers some nice pieces to rebuild with.

I like the idea, but worry about how much PEDs boosted his numbers and increased his future chances of injury.

We will probably lose Gomes to free agency next winter, and Victorino the year after, so I do feel a big OF addition makes the most sense, especially if we can gain a big middle order bat to take the pressure off Papi and allow Napoli to bat 6th.

Hey moon,

I pretty much agree with your thoughts.  If Sizemore stays healthy enough to find his groove he could help a great deal, even more so Bradley if he can produce a bit to cover some of Jacoby's offense.  Losing Drews defense remains to be seen and at the very least lets not forget the solid offense/defense Iggy gave us last season at SS and especially 3B when Middy struggled.  There were a lot of individual performances that got us to the WS we may be not have this season.

I think the only area we disagree on is Gomes.  I'm not sure how many times he faced guys like Moore, Price, Sale, Anderson, Harrison, Buehrle and CC not to mention any inter league lefties but I do feel it was more often and may have impacted his overall stats.  You also know I have always been a huge Braun fan and like the fact he apologized for using PEDS.  It may take time for fans to forgive him but I think he will continue to have solid seasons.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

If the decision is to keep Xander at SS I would move perhaps WMB to the Astros for Matt Dominguez also a 3 B and perhaps Lackey to Houston, Philly, the Padres or the A's in return for  two top prospects, at least one a pitcher.

They seem committed to Xander as the SS---he has several mannerisms of Jeter; if he produces in his career like the future HOF the right choice will have been made.

Re. the OF---I'm kind of torn between moving Carp or moving Nava. My choice would be to move Nava. The Sox have JBJ, Brentz, Hassan and possibly Betts to play the OF. 

So my suggestion would be to move WMB, Lackey and Nava.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

Great idea come July if we are 15 games back.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why is JBJ rated so high and can't miss future star. He can't hit a beach ball... He is a poor version of Coco Crisp !!  What a joke !!! What do they see in him? We can't trade him is now who would want him for a bucket of balls.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Dominguez is in the process of an extension with the Astros and will be locked in for the next four years. Carp, Nava, Bradley and to a certain extent  Sizemore , along with Ross and AJ are very financially affordable.

Lackey, though he says he's not concerned about pitching for the ML Min, has not been exactly impressive thus far this spring. I realize he's working on some things but we do have a couple of guys for not much more than the min. , that could fill in his slot.

This will be a very competitive division this season--perhaps even more than the recent past. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hugh, 

Give up. A few of these folks don't get, the benefit of long term outlook. All they understand is the now. Trade for that high priced free agent, or sign that high priced free agent and give up your prospect. After that's done they'd be complaining our farm system is in poor shape. 

You can't win a discussion with someone who has a bag of nickels for a brain, or for that matter an empty cranium. 

Cheers, 

Hetch