Middlebrooks, Bradley, and Ranaudo enough for Stanton?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

Re: Middlebrooks, Bradley, and Ranaudo enough for Stanton?

In response to hill55's comment:

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

If Giancarlo Stanton hits 50 homeruns for a new team next year, the Miami general manager will look bad for trading Stanton for three potentially non-impact players.

You can say that. But the same GM traded his entire team away to the Blue Jays for essentially nothing but prospects. Stanton will get more expensive and he has been less effective from 2012 to 2013. Your point is speculation about 50 HR. I can say that Papi will hit 50 HR next year!! So what?

I don't buy the age issue at all. You made the same argument last year about Stanton and how did that turn out? Stanton played like an old man. I can get it if Stanton is entirely healthy, but he is already showing signs of wear and tear. I suggested Nava last year as part of a trade and you stated that Nava was old. Who played better this year? If Miami had the package I proposed last year, they would be better and the RS would have been worse off without Nava and the others I had proposed.

Stanton is destined to be a DH.

So you stand on speculation that was not borne out this year (2013).

Please refresh my memory about "the package [you] proposed last year" and the "same argument" I made "last year about Stanton."

I honestly don't recall either.

For what it's worth, Daniel Nava was valued at 1.8 WAR* in 134 games this season while Giancarlo Stanton was valued at 2.3 WAR in 116 games.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5450&position=OF http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=4949&position=OF 

I did not even suggest a 1 for 1 trade of Nava for Stanton.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

But you specifically asked me: "Who played better this year?" in reference to Giancarlo Stanton and Daniel Nava.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

But you specifically asked me: "Who played better this year?" in reference to Giancarlo Stanton and Daniel Nava.

I guess that we have a misunderstanding. My statement can be read "the package including Nava":

I suggested Nava last year as part of a trade and you stated that Nava was old. Who played better this year? If Miami had the package I proposed last year, they would be better and the RS would have been worse off without Nava and the others I had proposed.

Since I cannot find the specific reference to the rest of the package, I can't argue the point further.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

When trading for a guy like Stanton QTY will never make up for quality in terms of value.  The Marlins are going to want players back who have impact potential.

Lets also keep in mind that not all prospects are created equal, a guy may be ranked #42 and have a much higher ceiling than the guy ranked #41 but could be considered much further away.

Point is I looked back at the Gonzo trade and who we gave up.  We traded Casey Kelly who was ranked #31 by BA that year Anthony Rizzo (75) and Reymond Fuentes who was unranked but a former #1 draft pick who had (at the time) a high ceiling. I would suspect it would take something similiar to get Stanton.  However there are a few factors to add here, first of all Stanton plays a more premium position than Gonzo did and he has a few more years of being cost controlled (although his arbitration years could become relatively costly as well).  Still I would expect a trade would have to carry more value than that one to get Florida to the table. 

A package of JBJ (21) Anthony Ranaudo (37) and Garin Cecchini (41) on the surface looks like a good starting point.  But I don't know if our top two prospects today have the same impact potential that Kelly and Rizzo did back when they were prospects.  One player who may bring them to the table is a guy like Henry Owens.  Some scouts don't think he's anything more than a #4 #5 starter, but there are some in baseball who see him as a legit #2.  If Florida is one of those teams that views Henry Owens in such a light I could a package of Henry Owens, Garrin Cecchini, Bryce Brentz, and Manuel Margot getting them to the table.  One could say they would turn that down in a heart beat, but it might be one of the better trade offers they would receive.  

Owens would hold a lot of value if they view him as a front man, and Garrin Cecchini would give them another highly regarded position player who could play multiple positions.  Brentz would give them a more cost effective option in the outfield who will never replace Stanton but could deliver above average power.  And of course Manuel Margot gives them another high high ceiling guy to sweeten the deal.

In the end.......I don't make that trade, and I don't trade for Stanton but i think it would have to take something in that ballpark to get a trade done.  

Sections
Shortcuts