Middlebrooks? He's just a bad hitter

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Re: Middlebrooks? He's just a bad hitter

In response to Teakus' comment:

You're a more patient man than I. I'm calling him an official bust right now and am prepared to cut bait with him. The man is uncoachable, in the sense that no matter what is said to him or by whom, he simply is incapable of following the advice consistently. It's part laziness, partly a lack of baseball intelligence, and partly too many off field distractions. His power has always intrigued me, but unless you can guarantee he'll be facing terrible pitching for the rest of his career, he'll never be worth keeping in the line up. He's also a mediocre fielder which doesn't help matters. We've given him a fair shot because of one decent season, during which pitchers hadn't yet found the gaping holes in his swing. Now he's a sitting duck when facing any pitcher with any brains at all. Sadly, his time has come and gone. 

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

I was always concerned about his hacking and the fact he was like the anti-Youkilis; he's also not a very good 3B.

I think the thing to do w/ him is to keep him in the minors for ALL of 2015.  He needs to work on his AB's (approach) AND he needs to learn to play 1B.  I want to put him first in line to take over for when Nap's contract is up.  He either wins that job or he's off the team (ie released or put in a package of some sort).  Not ready to give up on his RH Power just yet plus he's young and under control (and he's a good baserunner).  But that's my plan for him.  He's got until March 15th, 2016 to figure it out.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I firmly agree with TEAKUS.Some players have 5 minutes of success and then completely lose it. It's happened many times in baseball history and now it has happened to WMB. Trading him is good for the SOX and it may turn out to be good for Middlebrooks. You know, that change of scenery thing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

You're a more patient man than I. I'm calling him an official bust right now and am prepared to cut bait with him. The man is uncoachable, in the sense that no matter what is said to him or by whom, he simply is incapable of following the advice consistently. It's part laziness, partly a lack of baseball intelligence, and partly too many off field distractions. His power has always intrigued me, but unless you can guarantee he'll be facing terrible pitching for the rest of his career, he'll never be worth keeping in the line up. He's also a mediocre fielder which doesn't help matters. We've given him a fair shot because of one decent season, during which pitchers hadn't yet found the gaping holes in his swing. Now he's a sitting duck when facing any pitcher with any brains at all. Sadly, his time has come and gone. 

I was always concerned about his hacking and the fact he was like the anti-Youkilis; he's also not a very good 3B.

I think the thing to do w/ him is to keep him in the minors for ALL of 2015.  He needs to work on his AB's (approach) AND he needs to learn to play 1B.  I want to put him first in line to take over for when Nap's contract is up.  He either wins that job or he's off the team (ie released or put in a package of some sort).  Not ready to give up on his RH Power just yet plus he's young and under control (and he's a good baserunner).  But that's my plan for him.  He's got until March 15th, 2016 to figure it out.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I firmly agree with TEAKUS.Some players have 5 minutes of success and then completely lose it. It's happened many times in baseball history and now it has happened to WMB. Trading him is good for the SOX and it may turn out to be good for Middlebrooks. You know, that change of scenery thing.

Who do you think we could get in return for Middlebrooks? Probably someone like we got back for Doubront: PTBNL

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Playing half his games in a hitter-friendly ballpark, Will Middlebrooks broke into the big leagues in a potent hitting lineup and the following spring was handed the starting thirdbase job on a club that ultimately won the World Series.

I suspect prospective trade partners would dismiss the change-of-scenery pitch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Who do you think we could get in return for Middlebrooks? Probably someone like we got back for Doubront: PTBNL

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

Player to be named much later.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

Keep an eye on Sean Coyle he's headed to the az fall leauge and he does have some pop in his bat.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

At this point, he won't fetch much.  A PTNBL who likely won't amount to anything either?  Let him split time with Cecchini in AAA. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I know they wan't to keep seeing what he can do, but come on already. He's an awful hitter.

Over the last two years and over 500 at bats, I believe he's hitting in the .200 range.

No one will take him, and it's really not worth looking at him any more.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

They can keep running him out there because this season is shot, but I think if he was going to turn it around , there would be some signs by now. Plus I don't even see the power anymore .

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to billge's comment:

They can keep running him out there because this season is shot, but I think if he was going to turn it around , there would be some signs by now. Plus I don't even see the power anymore .

Agree, but then why play him? Why not give Cecchini a shot to play very day? They have options.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to billge's comment:

Agree, but then why play him? Why not give Cecchini a shot to play very day? They have options.

The Sox are showcasing him

Sections
Shortcuts