Middlebrooks in the #3 hole

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Middlebrooks in the #3 hole

Might Farrell now be thinking of putting Pedroia back in his natural #2 spot where he excels and belongs, and inserting Middlebrooks in the #3 spot????!!!!

Ellsbury

Pedroia

Middlebrooks

Napoli

Salty

Gomes/Nava

Victorino

Bradley

Iglesias

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Middlebrooks in the #3 hole

personally, i think he should stay in the 5 spot. he is the typical #5 hitter IMO. He is going to strike out too much for me to want him batting third.

If we are going to shuffle the lineup (i don't think it's wise with how well we've been playing) then i would rather see JBJ batting leadoff, and moving Ells to #3.

it would look like:

JBJ

Pedroia

Big numbah 2

Naps

WMB

ShaVic

Gomes/nava

Salty/ross

Iggy/Drew

but like i said, i wouldn't switch the lineup around just yet. ShaVic has been playing GREAT and batting well in the 2 spot. Ellsbury is hitting great leadoff like always and so on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

JBJ has not hit well enough to date to be hitting lead off.  OBP will not be good if he does not hit. Pitchers will not walk him. Napoli needs to be dropped in the order. Will should be at cleanup , at least until Ortiz returns. Maybe even after that. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Middlebrooks definitely strikes out too much for me.  That doesn't come without saying he has above average offense for third base.  

There a few guys with his profile that have some swing in miss in them and an aggressive approach who can be true #3 # 4 guys and that's because they make such great contact when they don't strike out they hit homers and doubles....E.G. Josh Hamilton.

Could Middlebrooks be that good? I don't want to be a homer and say yes...but dear god I hope so. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i was going to say that he and napoli should switch

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

It's incredible that once a player excels in a single game someone wants to change the line-up.

Ever hear of the statement, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it?

I say we leave it to Farrell to make those decisions and I am fine with a top 5 of:

1. Ellsbury
    2. Victorino
    3. Pedroia
    4. Napoli
    5. Middlebrooks

...until Ortiz comes back.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

No doubt that Middy would make a great #3, but I like him behind Naps much better.  He is going to eventually make Naps that much more potent, as pitchers will choose to pitch to him rather than Middy (who is going to have a MONSTER - ALL STAR 40 - 40 season).  Naps will benefit, and the Sox will be better for it. 

This lineup could end up being one of the more potent offenses in all of mlb???   :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

It's incredible that once a player excels in a single game someone wants to change the line-up.

I say we leave it to Farrell to make those decisions and I am fine with a top 5 of:

1. Ellsbury
    2. Victorino
    3. Pedroia
    4. Napoli
    5. Middlebrooks

Of course it is up to Farrell. Do you really think that Napoli is a better hitter than Middlebrooks ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

No doubt that Middy would make a great #3, but I like him behind Naps much better.  He is going to eventually make Naps that much more potent, as pitchers will choose to pitch to him rather than Middy (who is going to have a MONSTER - ALL STAR 40 - 40 season).  Naps will benefit, and the Sox will be better for it. 

This lineup could end up being one of the more potent offenses in all of mlb???   :)

That does not make sense. Would you always advocate putting the better behind the lesser hitter, so the lesser guy gets pitched to ?  I want the best hitters getting the most at bats. Right now , Middlebrooks is better than Napoli. That may change , but it is not likely. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wolfpack13. Show Wolfpack13's posts

Soxdog67 makes sense. Leave it alone. Would it kill fans to wait ummmm I don't know 10 games before we move Middlebrooks to the Hall of Fame, JBJ to either Pawtucket or the leadoff spot, someone else actually wanted to play Ciriaco over Middlebrooks.

If the Sox were 1-5 or 2-4 maybe a lineup tweak would be justified but why bother now? That being said shouldn't Iggy lead off I mean at this rate he will be the best lead off hit of all-time?!?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Now if Middy is really this good, then we actually have a lineup when Ortiz comes back.  Not to mention SV may have (so far so good) a great bunch back year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrogdorZing. Show TrogdorZing's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

1. Ellsbury
    2. Victorino
    3. Pedroia
    4. Napoli
    5. Middlebrooks

agree 100000%

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Farrell was basically saying the other day that Middlebrooks might end up moving up in the lineup. He's trying not to put so much pressure on the young guy but don't we all project him to have better numbers than Napoli?

i wouldn't rule Bradley out as the leadoff guy at some point but for the same reason that isn't happening anytime soon.

Ellsbury is a solid #3 hitter. But we need someone to leadoff also.

I was digging the situation with Dickey anyway. Imagine Victorino and Ellbury running all over on him and whatever catcher they throw out there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

personally, i think he should stay in the 5 spot. he is the typical #5 hitter IMO. He is going to strike out too much for me to want him batting third.

If we are going to shuffle the lineup (i don't think it's wise with how well we've been playing) then i would rather see JBJ batting leadoff, and moving Ells to #3.

it would look like:

JBJ

Pedroia

Big numbah 2

Naps

WMB

ShaVic

Gomes/nava

Salty/ross

Iggy/Drew

but like i said, i wouldn't switch the lineup around just yet. ShaVic has been playing GREAT and batting well in the 2 spot. Ellsbury is hitting great leadoff like always and so on.

Point well taken. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think Middy fits good at #5...Still K's quite a bit for #3 IMO. But without Papi I understand the thinking.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Two short years ago Napoli hit 320 with 30 + HR.

Middlebrooks is still growing into his ML role. Why not leave the kid the HEIL alone ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

Middlebrooks is still growing into his ML role. Why not leave the kid the HEIL alone ?

the only time the lineup should be messed with is when Papi comes back.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bucket656. Show bucket656's posts

i was going to say where do you all think papi will be in the lineup?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Cleanup, maybe, but not 3d.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to bucket656's comment:

i was going to say where do you all think papi will be in the lineup?

i think they will keep Pedroia in the #3 spot so cleanup most likely.

Vs LHP                                   Vs RHP

Ells                                          Ells

ShaVic                                    Nava

Pedey                                     Pedey

Papi                                        Papi

Naps                                      Naps

WMB                                      WMB

Gomes                                   ShaVic

Ross/Salty                             Salty/Ross

Drew                                       Drew

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I'm a big fan of riding the hot bat.  Right now Middlebrooks is a hot bat.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

I'm a big fan of riding the hot bat.  Right now Middlebrooks is a hot bat.  

one could make the case of flipping him with Naps for the time being. but the #3 spot? no way

Sections
Shortcuts