Middlebrooks is the key for the 2013 Red Sox Playoff Hopes

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Re: Middlebrooks is the key for the 2013 Red Sox Playoff Hopes

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

I don't know, so far he's a kind of Dave Kingman, .200 with too rare displays of awesome power.  He's been a drag on, more than he's been a boost for, the team this season, but there's still a long way to go.

[/QUOTE]

Kingman's OPS by age:

27   .793

28   .726 (4 teams in one season, how did that happen?)

29   .878

30   .956

31   .850

32    .782

MLB 3B 2013  OPS  .740

Kimgman was an awful fielder.

If WM hits like Kingman and gets better at fielding like Boggs did, he will be a valuable player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Anyone who pays attention to the game logs knows that "it's the pitching" is superficial and completely out of touch.

Anyone who does not believe that the SP is THE most important part of any successful team is delusional

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

396 feet the other way is the kind of power and talent he has in that swing. It's the most efficient producing power swing I've seen since Manny left.

Playing with bad ribs, this guy is a true keeper. The strikeouts should not be the focus, as long as he hits the ball out enough over the course of a full season. He's now on pace for 28 to 30 HR, which is remarkable given the injury he's playing with. If he can step it up and reach 35 to 40 HR this season, the playoff thin bubble might not pop. I would plan on moving him to 1st and bringing up Cecchini as early as next season.

So the Sox best prospect is neither a SS or 3B in your book. Where would you play the prospect with the most talent and potential catcher? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Anyone who pays attention to the game logs knows that "it's the pitching" is superficial and completely out of touch.

Anyone who does not believe that the SP is THE most important part of any successful team is delusional

According to Softy the pitching wasn't bad last year and overall pitching doesn't matter. While I disaggree with you over whether the Sox pitching is good, over a whole season it matters the most.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

I think it's more about balance, but yeah pitching is key

BTW I'm not delusional.................just stoned ;-)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

+1000

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The one game sample size clown.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Pure drivel.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Agree on all counts.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Facts can be proven.

Drivel is what you provide.

It is nice to see Middlebrooks with almost 40 more PAs finally match RBIs with the butcher and bum Drew.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

No, it's not a one game sample. It's the reality that Middlebrooks is the only talent the Red Sox have to do the year long slugging against good pitching. He may not do it, but that's all, folks.

Middlebrooks is a huge key, but I'm not counting out Ortiz from being a key bat ALL year. I'm hoping that by midseason, Middlebrooks is hitting well enough to be higher in the order.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We are going to need a heck of a lot more than Middlebrooks to make the playoffs and advance.

There are several players who could step up and put us into the playoffs- some of whom have had stellar seasons or long stretches of seasons.

Napoli, Papi, Pedey, Ellsbury plus strong contributions by some of Victorino, Drew, Nava, Gomes, Salty and even Ross. It could be a team effort, and although our fielding may suffer from this approach, our laine-up is pretty balanced now, and we are scoring 5 or more runs more often than not. A good sign considering we started the season without Papi for 15 games, Middlebrooks slumping badly, Pedey losing "pop", and Ellsbury not getting on base at the leadoff slot.

Any combination of these things turning themselves around or a pleasanrt surprise from out of the blue could get us "there" even if Middlebrooks continues as he has thus far.

The only reason softy is staking this claim, is because Middlebrooks is his "last guy standing" in his battle for stopping his personal losing streak. JBJ is gone. Iggy's gone. Papi's showing pop. Nava is not playing like a sub. Salty is hitting better. Victorino. Drew. Dempster...

There's nobody left on the team softy likes, but Will-da-beast.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Funny Zac. I think its more about balance to REACH the playoffs; once you get there, its about pitching. Look at the Giants last year.

Off to Honduras for diving tomorrow. You all are free of me for a while.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

396 feet the other way is the kind of power and talent he has in that swing. It's the most efficient producing power swing I've seen since Manny left.

Playing with bad ribs, this guy is a true keeper. The strikeouts should not be the focus, as long as he hits the ball out enough over the course of a full season. He's now on pace for 28 to 30 HR, which is remarkable given the injury he's playing with. If he can step it up and reach 35 to 40 HR this season, the playoff thin bubble might not pop. I would plan on moving him to 1st and bringing up Cecchini as early as next season.

I am absolutely astonished.

A post that gives a positive swing on every angle and never even mentions a back stabbing word about another Sox player, past or present.

Maybe the sun DOES rise in the east ....

BTW,   I agree, he is a key.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Middlebrooks has been adjusting to the pitches over the last week and it has shown. Hes gone the other way, laid off some pitches he usually flails at, and has now had some key hits, which have helped or been the direct result of a win. Hes a very important part of this line up this year and for the future.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

To flog a dead horse, Middlebrooks has the talent to hold his own against good MLB pitching. Ortiz is not a full-time player anymore, but can be productive as a 100 to 110 type of player. If Middlebrooks can end up with a big RBI and HR full season or production, this Red Sox team is playoff material.

Some arent understanding that. The fact that Papi is going to sit quite a few games this year due to the injury and age, is going to require WMB to step up and replace that power. Thats why he is so important this year...And for the future.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Of course the Sox need a lot of guys to contribute.  Middlebrooks absolutely can't do it by himself.  But the OP thesis is that a hot Middlebrooks would make the biggest difference, and that's not so unreasonable assuming other guys like Ortiz and Pedroia and Napoli and Ellsbury and Nava and Drew, etc are also hitting. 

Softy loves hitting, and so do I, especially given Fenway and the need to score there.  But right now, despite the fact the Sox are in the top five in MLB in runs scored, it is also clear the rotation needs to keep the Sox in games and the bullpen needs to avoid stink bombs.  The recent spate of losses was the result of poor pitching as much as it was weak hitting. 

Sections
Shortcuts