Middlebrooks plays, Mookie sits; c'mon man!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Middlebrooks plays, Mookie sits; c'mon man!

Does Middlebrooks deserve more playing time? Hasn't he had enough? What has he got to prove?

Does Betts deserve to be in the line-up, instead? He has already proved himself.

Something smells, and Farrell has to speak up. Why, Mr. Manager, Why?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Middlebrooks plays, Mookie sits; c'mon man!

The reasoning is because you are analyzing the exact opposite of how the club (and me FWIW) see it:  Middlebrooks has EVERYTHING to prove as the rest of this season plays out; Betts nothing.  Betts is getting a nice cup o coffee, which includes getting some run and also watching and learning.  Betts is not even competing for a spot on the 2015 roster.  Now, if you were to say "c'mon man!" in questioning the judgement of keeping betts up with the big club, thats another issue. One that is less cut and dry to me.      

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

If they want Betts to play outfield, he should be paying it   somewhere.  Observation is one thing, playing one game a week while learning a position is something else

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to billge's comment:

If they want Betts to play outfield, he should be paying it   somewhere.  Observation is one thing, playing one game a week while learning a position is something else

[object HTMLDivElement]

I agree Billge.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

I guess I would view it a different way. They need to evaluate Middlebrooks. If he doesn't produce in August and September, he probably won't be here next year.

I would question why Nava is playing ahead of Betts.

If I had to say what the outfield should be next year, as of right now, it should be Cespedes , Bradley/Betts, Craig/Betts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

They are showcasing him for Stanton

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Does Middlebrooks deserve more playing time? Hasn't he had enough? What has he got to prove?

Does Betts deserve to be in the line-up, instead? He has already proved himself.

[/QUOTE]

Middy has zero trade value as he stands today and Betts should be in our starting lineup somewhere soon so be patient.

All we can hope for is Middy can finally stay off the DL and hit for longer than a short streak.  Otherwise he is worthless to us and we should go after an established 3B like Beltre if we really want to improve.  PLEASE, No more Holt, Bogy, Checc, Snyder, Roberts and other types. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Betts has a .660 OPS and WMB has a .644 OPS.  I'm having an issue figuring out how a 16 point difference has proved anything.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

No Nava should sit

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

I think the question you should be asking is, why is daniel nava starting over betts? Nava is not in the running to be a starter next year, and we really have nothing to play for this year, so why start him? We now have the opportunity to play both bradley and betts on a regular basis. (one plays cf and the other in rf) Middlebrooks needs to play so we can see if he can turn things around and is young enough that he should get a long look. Nava we know what he is, he’s a decent hitter against righties but struggles against lefties who can play a passable LF but is downright terrible in RF (which coincidentally is where he is playing tonight). He has no arm and has the range of johnny gomes. But for some reason farrell continues to start him during a time when the young guys should be starting. It literately makes no sense. He’s a decent back up, but nothing more. Oh and one more thing, the immortal brock holt is hitting a whopping .197 in 16 games since the all-star break. It appears as though the league has figured him out. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The immortal Brock Holt should stop being moved from position to position...It is so not easy to mentally prepare for a game not knowing where you are playing. You can't get consistency in the field and it does hurt you at the plate. People don't understand that there is a sympatico between playing a fielding position and hitting. One builds off the other. You make a great catch, you get pumped up to hit. Vice versa. But if you are bouncing around from 3b, SS, CF, LF, RF, 1B, you are not going to be able to find your niche. Holt is in never-land...The Sox won't give him a position and it's starting to wear on him. I think he's a nice little utility hitter/fielder. But the Sox did him no favors by playing him in this manner.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No matter what the apologists may say, Manager Farrell is a joke.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The immortal Brock Holt should stop being moved from position to position...It is so not easy to mentally prepare for a game not knowing where you are playing. You can't get consistency in the field and it does hurt you at the plate. People don't understand that there is a sympatico between playing a fielding position and hitting. One builds off the other. You make a great catch, you get pumped up to hit. Vice versa. But if you are bouncing around from 3b, SS, CF, LF, RF, 1B, you are not going to be able to find your niche. Holt is in never-land...The Sox won't give him a position and it's starting to wear on him. I think he's a nice little utility hitter/fielder. But the Sox did him no favors by playing him in this manner.

[/QUOTE]

The reason why he doesn’t have a set position, is because he is not good enough defensively to play most positions with the exception of 2B full time. He doesn’t have the range or arm strength to be a full time CF, and same goes for ss/3b and putting a short guy like him at 1b is less than ideal. And one last thing to consider is that during his first 60 or so games while he was hitting well, he was moving around on a nightly basis, so I don’t think its the positional changes that are bring him down. I think its that major league teams/pitchers have figured him out. Theres a reason why he has been in the minors this long and was a throw in in the hanrahan trade. Other teams have figured out his weakness and are exploiting it and he can’t seem to overcome it. 0-4 tonight with 3k’s. (.194 avg now since the all-star break) And really when you look at holts skill set, you can see why he is destined to be a utility guy, not a starter. He’s an average defender, has very little power, average speed, who hits a lot of singles with a few doubles here and there. He’s a good utility player, but not a starter. I would much rather see betts start than holt. That being said, i would rather see holt start than nava. (see my earlier post) 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthomas43. Show mthomas43's posts

Middy sure looks like a AAAA hitter to me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

SIT THEM BOTH> PLAY THE OTHER KIDS for cryin out loud

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to mthomas43's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Middy sure looks like a AAAA hitter to me.

[/QUOTE]

More like AA.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Farrell needs to play Middlebrooks every day or simply send him back to Pawtucket. It's the only way to see if he can turn the corner. Playing a day or two then sitting a day or two is no way for a guy who is struggling to get into a rhythm.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Also, if farrell wants to give middlebrooks any chance to be successful in what is likely his last chance to prove himself with the sox, batting him 8th with the pitcher hitting behind him is probably not the best place to put him. Why? Because no pitcher is going to give him anything to hit with pitcher hitting behind him, its that plain and simple. This is common sense stuff, stuff that farrell should be aware but clearly is not. He should be doing everything he can to help middlebrooks turn the corner and regain his previous success at the mlb level. That starts by building up his confidence. Hitting 8th in a position that sets him up for failure is not a good way to do that. Put him in a spot in the line up where he will see some pitches to hit and see what he can do when he gets them. Thats how you get a guy going, not hitting at the bottom of the line up with the pitcher hitting behind him where he will see 0 pitches to hit. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

The reasoning is because you are analyzing the exact opposite of how the club (and me FWIW) see it:  Middlebrooks has EVERYTHING to prove as the rest of this season plays out; Betts nothing.  Betts is getting a nice cup o coffee, which includes getting some run and also watching and learning.  Betts is not even competing for a spot on the 2015 roster.  Now, if you were to say "c'mon man!" in questioning the judgement of keeping betts up with the big club, thats another issue. One that is less cut and dry to me.      [/QUOTE]

The more Betts gets to see a variety of major league pitchers, the better he will be when spring training gets under way. That's not how anybody sees it; that's a simple fact. The same can not be said for Middlebrooks who will be traded (that's not a fact, just MHO)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I guess I would view it a different way. They need to evaluate Middlebrooks. If he doesn't produce in August and September, he probably won't be here next year.

I would question why Nava is playing ahead of Betts.

If I had to say what the outfield should be next year, as of right now, it should be Cespedes , Bradley/Betts, Craig/Betts

[/QUOTE]

Bradley won't be here next year. The Outfield will be Cespedes, Betts and Craig/Nava.

However, the way Holt has played CF on the few occasions he has played there, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to say the OF could be Cespedes, Holt and Betts. A lot depends on the 3B and SS positions getting straightened out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

LOL.

now we are starting / participating in threads screaming to replace kids with kids.  too funny.

other names i have posted under:  none

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Kids replacing kids on the next Dr. Phil....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NLU75. Show NLU75's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

I think the question you should be asking is, why is daniel nava starting over betts? Nava is not in the running to be a starter next year, and we really have nothing to play for this year, so why start him? We now have the opportunity to play both bradley and betts on a regular basis. (one plays cf and the other in rf) Middlebrooks needs to play so we can see if he can turn things around and is young enough that he should get a long look. Nava we know what he is, he’s a decent hitter against righties but struggles against lefties who can play a passable LF but is downright terrible in RF (which coincidentally is where he is playing tonight). He has no arm and has the range of johnny gomes. But for some reason farrell continues to start him during a time when the young guys should be starting. It literately makes no sense. He’s a decent back up, but nothing more. Oh and one more thing, the immortal brock holt is hitting a whopping .197 in 16 games since the all-star break. It appears as though the league has figured him out. 

hey 34 you have it right. Jackie Bradley who cant hit has more RBI right now this year than Nava has from all star game 2013-all star 2014. Betts needs to play & we need to find a 3rd baseman for next year