Middlebrooks proves you have to go with the younger player = NO DREW for Iggy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Middlebrooks proves you have to go with the younger player = NO DREW for Iggy

Please man up if you were one of the ones who said Youk should not have lost his job because of an injury and that WM shouldve been sent down....same thing again - Iggy has already more great defensive plays in one week that Aviles made all last year...and oh yea, he's hitting .529

btw have the sox made an error yet? hmmm 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Middlebrooks proves you have to go with the younger player = NO DREW for Iggy

In response to georom4's comment:

Please man up if you were one of the ones who said Youk should not have lost his job because of an injury and that WM shouldve been sent down....same thing again - Iggy has already more great defensive plays in one week that Aviles made all last year...and oh yea, he's hitting .529

BINGO !!!   Great post Gerome.......  Check out the thread on "the questioning of Jackie Bradley Jr", ALLREADY  !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Middlebrooks proves you have to go with the younger player = NO DREW for Iggy

You are the king of the unrelated.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You are the king of the unrelated. -= BosoxJoe 5 wanted WM sent down...and now Drew to start...your opinion has been noted

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I was against throwing Youkilis away for nothing.  Middlebrooks played in 75 games and broke his wrist.  By the end of the year, James Loney was our 1B.  Youk is batting cleanup for the Yankees right now (hitting .400), and all we got in compensation was Zach Stewart, later traded for Kyle Kaminska.

What, exactly, am I manning up to?

Drew proved in ST that his ankle is healthy enough to play SS.  He's likely to be above average offensively at the trade deadline, and will fetch something valuable.  If Iglesias's bat is ready let him prove it in Pawtucket while Drew gathers some trade value.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

I was against throwing Youkilis away for nothing.  Middlebrooks played in 75 games and broke his wrist.  By the end of the year, James Loney was our 1B.  Youk is batting cleanup for the Yankees right now (hitting .400), and all we got in compensation was Zach Stewart, later traded for Kyle Kaminska.

Drew proved in ST that his ankle is healthy enough to play SS.  He's likely to be above average offensively at the trade deadline, and will fetch something valuable.  If Iglesias's bat is ready let him prove it in Pawtucket while Drew gathers some trade value.

get that nonsense out of your head - no one is going to want Drew for a ten million dollar salary...even pro-rated...he does not warrant that

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Actually, I favored keeping Middlebrooks, but now wish the Sox could have kept Youkilis too because come July the Sox were missing both Middlebrooks and AGon.  This year we have a converted catcher at 1B where Youkillus's gold glove and good hitting would have come in handy. 

As for Iglesias, I would love to see him stick because I love watching a great defensive SS, to say nothing of his superb bunting and his current OPS.  That said, the only thing I would really object to is if the FO traded Iglesias and kept Drew.  Meanwhile, I can live with whatever the FO decides even though I thing the case for keeping Iggy is very strong. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Middlebrooks proves that you go with the younger player who EARN the spot. Middlebrooks got his chance when he came up and he grabbed it and earned the spot. Nothing was handed to him.

Bradley grabbed his chance in the spring. Nothing was given to him. He earned it. Now he has to keep earning it. I'm all for being patient with him, but there will come a time in which if he doesn't start hitting, he'll need to go down for a bit  more seasoning.

Last September, Iggy had a chance to prove he belonged. He didn't take advantage of his chance like Middlebrooks did. He batted .118 and no matter how good he was defensively, that's not going to cut it.

Now he has gotten another chance and appears to be grabbing it now. I have no problem riding him longer. I don't expect him to hit .300 so I'm willing to wait through a slump that brings him down to earth and then see where he goes from there. But in the end, I want players who EARN their position.

It's amazing the number of posters who have contantly complained about entitled players, and they now want to simply GIVE a position to an overhyped minor-league player before he's earned the spot.

So the lesson with Middlebrooks is simple. He's proved you go with younger players when they show they're ready.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I never wanted Youk to be moved from 1rst base in the first place and didn't like the acquisition of Gonzo in the first place! Though it might work out in the long run provided either RDLR or Webster wind up starring in Boston! I liked it when they brought up WM and I am definately an Iggy supporter,as far as I'm concerned the didn't need another Drew....First it was Nancy now we have Sally,Boras must have promised to go light on the Sox in the upcoming Ellsbury negotiations.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

get that nonsense out of your head - no one is going to want Drew for a ten million dollar salary...even pro-rated...he does not warrant that

Its will be half of that close to the trade dealine. At alittle more than 5 mill left, SS needy teams will be lining up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i guess you forgot that he was making 8 Mil last season and Oakland wanted him.....

what's an extra 2 million?? especially if the sox eat some of the cash (the more money they eat the better the return..)

as usual, Geo has no clue......

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Before his injury, Drew was a .275 left-handed hitter good for 15 - 20 HRs, with good plate discipline and above-average fielding.  If he proves that's what he is in 2013, teams will be knocking down our door.  

If you're a contender at the break, and your starting shortstop is Pete Kozma, you'll pay $5M and a prospect for that guy.  If your starting shortstop is Clint Barmes, you'll pay $5M and a prospect for that guy.  And that's just the picture right now - who knows who will be injured or slumping come the break.

If you start Iglesias, you eat $9.5M.  If you start Drew, you have what very, very few MLB teams have at shortstop - options.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

youk also finished last season on a down note. getting rid of him was a no brainer. not surprised that conan still wants him here

If the Sox had kept Youkilis, he would have been a Type-A free agent, and the Yankees would likely not have signed him as they would have to give up their first-round pick, and give it up to the Sox.  I don't fault the Sox FO for trading Youk, but with the full benefit of hind-sight, knowing Middlebrooks and Papi would be injured and Gonzalez traded, knowing that the compensation was worthless, and knowing that the Yankees went out and signed him ... I don't see how any rational human being can conclude it was the right move.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Iglesias is hitting .529.  He has to prove his bat is ready at Pawtucket ?   Forget about the trade deadline. Win now. Signing Drew was a mistake. To play him over Iglesias is compounding the mistake. We are finally off to a good start. Why think about the trade deadline ? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You are the king of the unrelated. -= BosoxJoe 5 wanted WM sent down...and now Drew to start...your opinion has been noted

No I didn't I want Youk trade in ST and to go with WMB. I was one of first on the train. Youk was  a player on the downward trend. Middlebrooks is going to be an All-Star. Drew is not Youk and Inglesias is never going to be an AllStar.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Signing Drew was a mistake.  

Iggy hit .118 in his tryout with the Sox last year. So if the Sox didn't sign Drew and went in to the season with Iggy as the SS and he was hitting .118 now and in a month from now, you know what you'd be saying.

You'd be ripping the Sox for not being better prepared at SS.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

mef must be another who wanted youk to stay

actually i wanted him traded. Making our stud 1Bman play RF just to get him in the lineup paired with his bad attitude did it for me.

You must be out of your element discussing something that isn't big papi.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

youk also finished last season on a down note. getting rid of him was a no brainer. not surprised that conan still wants him here

If the Sox had kept Youkilis, he would have been a Type-A free agent, and the Yankees would likely not have signed him as they would have to give up their first-round pick, and give it up to the Sox.  I don't fault the Sox FO for trading Youk, but with the full benefit of hind-sight, knowing Middlebrooks and Papi would be injured and Gonzalez traded, knowing that the compensation was worthless, and knowing that the Yankees went out and signed him ... I don't see how any rational human being can conclude it was the right move.

It was the right move. How do you get AB's for KY and WM before the trade in August? The only way the Sox would have gotten a pick is if the Sox offered a qualifying offer. He would have taken the 13.3 and called it a day. Also who cares about Youk going to the Yanks?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

Signing Drew was a mistake.  

Iggy hit .118 in his tryout with the Sox last year. So if the Sox didn't sign Drew and went in to the season with Iggy as the SS and he was hitting .118 now and in a month from now, you know what you'd be saying.

You'd be ripping the Sox for not being better prepared at SS.

Exactly....Going into Spring Training with two guys (Iglesias & Ciriaco) who had yet to show they could consistently hit in the Minors, let alone the Majors, as the only SS options, would have been the "mistake."  Iglesias is playing well, isn't this a good "problem" to have?   

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Middlebrooks earned his way to the majors by virtue of his results at the AAA level where he hit an OPS of .836 and .787 overall. Iglesias at the AAA level has an OPS of .589 in a large sample size and overall has a minor league OPS of .626. The ONLY place he was successful with the bat was at the A ball level. As soon as he proves he can consistently handle the bat at the AAA level then he should be brought up and handed the SS job, even if Drew is still here. Not before then.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Iglesias is hitting .529.  He has to prove his bat is ready at Pawtucket ?   Forget about the trade deadline. Win now. Signing Drew was a mistake. To play him over Iglesias is compounding the mistake. We are finally off to a good start. Why think about the trade deadline ? 

No - 17 ABs has never and never will prove anything in MLB.  I'm not penciling in Chris Davis for the triple-crown yet either.

I love what Iglesias has shown so far, but you can't continue to play Drew in the minors.  The only way for both of them to see action is to play Iglesias at Pawtucket.  The most likely scenario is that Drew will be the better player over the next few months, but if that doesn't happen, then either 1) Drew doesn't live up to expectations, in which case you eat the remainder of his contract and release him or 2) Both play well, but Iglesias forces a move, in which case you haven't cost the team any games, and you are in the position to make the team better for future years.

The Cardinals badly need a shortstop, and they have a talented bat in Matt Adams that is MLB ready but cannot play anything but 1B / DH.  It seems like a good fit for both teams, provided Drew can prove his worth.