1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Middlebrooks proves you have to go with the younger player = NO DREW for Iggy

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

In response to slomag's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

Please man up if you were one of the ones who said Youk should not have lost his job because of an injury and that WM shouldve been sent down....same thing again - Iggy has already more great defensive plays in one week that Aviles made all last year...and oh yea, he's hitting .529

btw have the sox made an error yet? hmmm 

I was against throwing Youkilis away for nothing.  Middlebrooks played in 75 games and broke his wrist.  By the end of the year, James Loney was our 1B.  Youk is batting cleanup for the Yankees right now (hitting .400), and all we got in compensation was Zach Stewart, later traded for Kyle Kaminska.

What, exactly, am I manning up to?

Drew proved in ST that his ankle is healthy enough to play SS.  He's likely to be above average offensively at the trade deadline, and will fetch something valuable.  If Iglesias's bat is ready let him prove it in Pawtucket while Drew gathers some trade value.

Signing Drew was a mistake.  

Iggy hit .118 in his tryout with the Sox last year. So if the Sox didn't sign Drew and went in to the season with Iggy as the SS and he was hitting .118 now and in a month from now, you know what you'd be saying.

You'd be ripping the Sox for not being better prepared at SS.

Roy , that is a big if. Iggy has progressed in his hitting at every level. No way would I not expect him to hit in MLB. I would not be saying what you think. His defense is sensational. Maybe the best in baseball  at the most vital position. Anyway , we had a viable backup in Ciriaco. Even Aviles would have been better than spending all that money on Drew. I questioned the Drew signing at the time and I question it now. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Middlebrooks proves you have to go with the younger player = NO DREW for Iggy

Please man up if you were one of the ones who said Youk should not have lost his job because of an injury and that WM shouldve been sent down....same thing again - Iggy has already more great defensive plays in one week that Aviles made all last year...and oh yea, he's hitting .529

I was against throwing Youkilis away for nothing.  Middlebrooks played in 75 games and broke his wrist.  By the end of the year, James Loney was our 1B.  Youk is batting cleanup for the Yankees right now (hitting .400), and all we got in compensation was Zach Stewart, later traded for Kyle Kaminska.

Drew proved in ST that his ankle is healthy enough to play SS.  He's likely to be above average offensively at the trade deadline, and will fetch something valuable.  If Iglesias's bat is ready let him prove it in Pawtucket while Drew gathers some trade value.

Iggy hit .118 in his tryout with the Sox last year. So if the Sox didn't sign Drew and went in to the season with Iggy as the SS and he was hitting .118 now and in a month from now, you know what you'd be saying.

Roy , that is a big if. Iggy has progressed in his hitting at every level. No way would I not expect him to hit in MLB. I would not be saying what you think. His defense is sensational. Maybe the best in baseball  at the most vital position. Anyway , we had a viable backup in Ciriaco. Even Aviles would have been better than spending all that money on Drew. I questioned the Drew signing at the time and I question it now.

This is simply not true. Iggy had an OPS at the A level of .956, at the AA level: .672, and at the AAA level of .589. What is true is that Iggy has REGRESSED at every level. His sample size in the majors is too small to really make much sense of right now, but its only .533 in 86 PAs in the majors, as expected, even worse than at AAA ball. He is sensational defensively, and lots of fun to watch, but his bat is an unproven commodity at best.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Iglesias is hitting .529.  He has to prove his bat is ready at Pawtucket ?   Forget about the trade deadline. Win now. Signing Drew was a mistake. To play him over Iglesias is compounding the mistake. We are finally off to a good start. Why think about the trade deadline ? 

No - 17 ABs has never and never will prove anything in MLB.  I'm not penciling in Chris Davis for the triple-crown yet either.

I love what Iglesias has shown so far, but you can't continue to play Drew in the minors.  The only way for both of them to see action is to play Iglesias at Pawtucket.  The most likely scenario is that Drew will be the better player over the next few months, but if that doesn't happen, then either 1) Drew doesn't live up to expectations, in which case you eat the remainder of his contract and release him or 2) Both play well, but Iglesias forces a move, in which case you haven't cost the team any games, and you are in the position to make the team better for future years.

The Cardinals badly need a shortstop, and they have a talented bat in Matt Adams that is MLB ready but cannot play anything but 1B / DH.  It seems like a good fit for both teams, provided Drew can prove his worth.

If the Cards want to take Drew's contract , we should make that deal now. Don't care what we get in return. Iglesias has to be our shortstop. If you want to win the division , every game is important. Iglesias is hitting. The defense is not even comparable. Signing Drew was a mistake. Admit it and move on. Don't make it worse by playing him over Iglesias. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

He has progressed, which is why I wasn't writing him off. I wanted him to continue to develop. But he still was overmatched last fall. It wasn't a BIG IF. It was and still is a very real possibility/probability that he'll be overmatched and a very real liability in the lineup, no matter how good his defense is. No team is going to turn over SS to a player who's hitting .118.

But I do agree about Aviles. I didn't like the Drew signing because I want Iggy, because of the defense, to get the chance when he proves he can hit at an exceptable level. So I would have taken an Aviles/Ciriaco combination. And Ciraco is what he is -- a backup and a valuable backup.

I've posted my concerns about Iggy's ability right not to hit at an acceptable level, yet I'm rooting him to succeed. I hope he proves me wrong. Unlike many posters who will be rooting for Drew to fail just so they can come on this board and brag about how right they were.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Good thing you didnt throw pedey under the bus after his miserable september in 2006

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to jackbu's comment:

youk also finished last season on a down note. getting rid of him was a no brainer. not surprised that conan still wants him here

If the Sox had kept Youkilis, he would have been a Type-A free agent, and the Yankees would likely not have signed him as they would have to give up their first-round pick, and give it up to the Sox.  I don't fault the Sox FO for trading Youk, but with the full benefit of hind-sight, knowing Middlebrooks and Papi would be injured and Gonzalez traded, knowing that the compensation was worthless, and knowing that the Yankees went out and signed him ... I don't see how any rational human being can conclude it was the right move.

It was the right move. How do you get AB's for KY and WM before the trade in August? The only way the Sox would have gotten a pick is if the Sox offered a qualifying offer. He would have taken the 13.3 and called it a day. Also who cares about Youk going to the Yanks?

Good point on the qualifying offer - they actually had a team option that they would have had to pick up, and it wouldn't have happened.  But that said, Papi went down 3 weeks after Youk was traded, and if Middlebrooks had been a September call-up, he would never have hurt his wrist.  Again, I don't blame the FO for not predicting an injury to Ortiz, but to try to turn advocating the Youkilis trade into an "I told you so" moment is beyond stupid.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Iglesias is hitting .529.  He has to prove his bat is ready at Pawtucket ?   Forget about the trade deadline. Win now. Signing Drew was a mistake. To play him over Iglesias is compounding the mistake. We are finally off to a good start. Why think about the trade deadline ? 

No - 17 ABs has never and never will prove anything in MLB.  I'm not penciling in Chris Davis for the triple-crown yet either.

I love what Iglesias has shown so far, but you can't continue to play Drew in the minors.  The only way for both of them to see action is to play Iglesias at Pawtucket.  The most likely scenario is that Drew will be the better player over the next few months, but if that doesn't happen, then either 1) Drew doesn't live up to expectations, in which case you eat the remainder of his contract and release him or 2) Both play well, but Iglesias forces a move, in which case you haven't cost the team any games, and you are in the position to make the team better for future years.

The Cardinals badly need a shortstop, and they have a talented bat in Matt Adams that is MLB ready but cannot play anything but 1B / DH.  It seems like a good fit for both teams, provided Drew can prove his worth.

If the Cards want to take Drew's contract , we should make that deal now. Don't care what we get in return. Iglesias has to be our shortstop. If you want to win the division , every game is important. Iglesias is hitting. The defense is not even comparable. Signing Drew was a mistake. Admit it and move on. Don't make it worse by playing him over Iglesias. 

I may be wrong on this, but I think there is something in the MLB rules about trading a free agent - it can't be done until mid June.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

wow, nobody fess' up? how typical...i was on the board debating at least 5 different posters a day telling me how great Youk's metrics were and how no one should lose their place because of injury (and WM needed more AAA time)...now there is not one person to admit it...

cowards...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

This is simply not true. Iggy had an OPS at the A level of .956, at the AA level: .672, and at the AAA level of .589. What is true is that Iggy has DEGRESSED at every level. His sample size in the majors is too small to really make much sense of right now, but its only .533 in 86 PAs in the majors, as expected, even worse than at AAA ball. He is sensational defensively, and lots of fun to watch, but his bat is an unproven commodity at best.

Don't quote these "OPS " numbers. He is not a power hitter. Watch him at the plate. He is becoming a good hitter. I doubt that there is a GM in baseball that would trade him for Drew. Never mind the difference in salary. Just even up , right now. Pumpsie Green , tell me honestly ,would you trade Iglesias for Drew ? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Good thing you didnt throw pedey under the bus after his miserable september in 2006

Pedey had a much better hitting pedigree at that point of his career than Iggy.

You're not that stupid to compare the two.

Scratch that. Since you brought it up, yeah, I guess you are that stupid.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

This is simply not true. Iggy had an OPS at the A level of .956, at the AA level: .672, and at the AAA level of .589. What is true is that Iggy has DEGRESSED at every level. His sample size in the majors is too small to really make much sense of right now, but its only .533 in 86 PAs in the majors, as expected, even worse than at AAA ball. He is sensational defensively, and lots of fun to watch, but his bat is an unproven commodity at best.

Don't quote these "OPS " numbers. He is not a power hitter. Watch him at the plate. He is becoming a good hitter. I doubt that there is a GM in baseball that would trade him for Drew. Never mind the difference in salary. Just even up , right now. Pumpsie Green , tell me honestly ,would you trade Iglesias for Drew ? 

LOL..what is this? Don't confuse me with the facts? I am a bottom line kind of guy, and the single best measure IMO of a player's offensive contribution is OPS or OPS+. If he is not a power hitter thats fine, but he better be getting on base a lot with singles. You have to measure a player's value somehow. What offensive stat would you use? Defensively there is no comparison. Would I trade Iggy for Drew right now? No, but not because Iggy is better right now. He has the POTENTIAL to be better than Drew all around, and he is younger, so I keep Iggy. Fortunately I do not have to make that trade. We have both of them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I wonder what will happen when Drew is fully healthy and ready to join the team.  I hope Cherington just sends him to Taiwan.  I'm sure Manny can use a friend.   LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

LOL..what is this? Don't confuse me with the facts? I am a bottom line kind of guy, and the single best measure IMO of a player's offensive contribution is OPS or OPS+. If he is not a power hitter thats fine, but he better be getting on base a lot with singles. You have to measure a player's value somehow. What offensive stat would you use? Defensively there is no comparison. Would I trade Iggy for Drew right now? No, but not because Iggy is better right now. He has the POTENTIAL to be better than Drew all around, and he is younger, so I keep Iggy. Fortunately I do not have to make that trade. We have both of them.

Cut it out. You answered the question. You would not make that trade. Neither would I. Forget about "potential ".  The time is now . Iglesias is coming into his own as a top player. Drew is a career mediocrity. Iglesias will continue to get better. Drew will continue to decline. I have no idea how you cannot see this. And please , stop with the juvenile texting mentality. LOL ?  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

wow, nobody fess' up? how typical...i was on the board debating at least 5 different posters a day telling me how great Youk's metrics were and how no one should lose their place because of injury (and WM needed more AAA time)...now there is not one person to admit it...

cowards...

I would've played out with Youk rather than give him away and eat his salary.

As the old saying goes, we could've finished last just as easily without WMB as with him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

cowards...

As the old saying goes, we could've finished last just as easily without WMB as with him.

It was Middlebrooks time. But we could have kept Youk and used him off the bench for a bit. We would probably be better off today with Youkilis at first, rather than Napoli. Maybe so , maybe not, but Middlebrooks time has come. There should be no denying that. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Last year, as I recall, when Youk was ready, Middlebrooks was either sick or had some minor injury, which allowed Youk to get back in the lineup. When he continued to struggle, I had no problem going back to Middlebrooks because Middlebrooks was hitting better by a wide margin was the future 3B.

Youk wouldn't have handled a bench role IMO, so I had no problem trading him.

I wouldn't have minded taking Youk back this year for 1B, but if Napolie stays healthy, he'll be OK. Youk has been injury prone even before the move to 3B so to me and was fading at the plate, so Napoli might very well be the better option.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

cowards...

It was Middlebrooks time. But we could have kept Youk and used him off the bench for a bit. We would probably be better off today with Youkilis at first, rather than Napoli. Maybe so , maybe not, but Middlebrooks time has come. There should be no denying that. 

Youk was already miserable not playing and they did him a favor by sending him somewhere where he would get an opportunity to play, especially on a contract year.  They had a toxic clubhouse as it was, and having a miserable Youk would have made it even worse.  They were still in it at that point as well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Good point on the Cardinals, and the want to win also. Possible deal. Iglesias has looked so good in the field that I want to keep him also. Ciriaco is good depth. Drew is expendable in the right deal. Let's win this thing!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Way too small a sample on iggy.  You can't move drew for awhile anyhow.  I'd move nava and let drew DH alot.  If iggy still hitting in June then move drew.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrogdorZing. Show TrogdorZing's posts

cowards...

I am new here but from what I have read by you, the argument probably wasn't as simple as that...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Cut it out. You answered the question. You would not make that trade. Neither would I. Forget about "potential ".  The time is now . Iglesias is coming into his own as a top player. Drew is a career mediocrity. Iglesias will continue to get better. Drew will continue to decline. I have no idea how you cannot see this. And please , stop with the juvenile texting mentality. LOL ?  

Just laughing at your opinion-its totally subjective, whereas at least I provided some facts to back up my own opinion. No offense intended. I do not happen to agree that the time for Iggy is now. He has to EARN his spot.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to TrogdorZing's comment:

cowards...

I am new here but from what I have read by you, the argument probably wasn't as simple as that...

Since you're new here, I'll fill you in on a secret.

No on on this board would ever think of over-simplifying a point. It's just not done. Everyone wants honest, respectful, open discussion.

Wink

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

cowards...

There is a natural progression to these things.  Youk should've played to the end of his contract, unless we could move him for value.  Just like JBJ should be in the minors until Ells moves on, just like Vazquez should be in the minors until Salty leaves.

I've always been an Iggy fan, and I was hoping that he'd have taken over by now.  But even as one of his fans, I have to admit that his 2012 season was atrocious.

It's amazing.  Two months ago, posters wanted him traded for a bag of balls, now, after 12 ABs,  he's a star.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Unlike some posters, I try to be objective. I have no favorite sacred cow players. And I have no whipping boy scapegoats. I just want to see us win. I want to see our best nine on the field. Who our best nine may be is, at least , somewhat  subjective .   I think that Iglesias has earned the shortstop job. I think that Middlebrooks is our most dangerous hitter. I think we can contend with the talent that we have. I think that I could be wrong. Your opinion is as valid as mine. I think we should stop with the trade deadline stuff. And the long range projections. Of course , we have to plan ahead. But the present is now. We have two  championships in our lifetime. We should try our best for another each and every year. Don' t be so concerned with trying to show how clever you are. Just put our best team on the field and take our best shot.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Unlike some posters, I try to be objective. I have no favorite sacred cow players. And I have no whipping boy scapegoats. I just want to see us win. I want to see our best nine on the field. Who our best nine may be is, at least , somewhat  subjective .   I think that Iglesias has earned the shortstop job. I think that Middlebrooks is our most dangerous hitter. I think we can contend with the talent that we have. I think that I could be wrong. Your opinion is as valid as mine. I think we should stop with the trade deadline stuff. And the long range projections. Of course , we have to plan ahead. But the present is now. We have two  championships in our lifetime. We should try our best for another each and every year. Don' t be so concerned with trying to show how clever you are. Just put our best team on the field and take our best shot.

our best team includes Drew at SS not Iggy. The numbers support that fact in a large sample size. Discounting statistics that do not fit your narrative is not being objective.

Sections
Shortcuts