Middlebrooks proves you have to go with the younger player = NO DREW for Iggy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Middlebrooks proves you have to go with the younger player = NO DREW for Iggy

After what we've seen from Iggy early on, I find the prospect of giving Drew the job ...... "depressing."  I agree that Drew has been a solid player, with a very good OPS, but Iggy may well be ready to carpe diem.  This is a radical departure from where I have stood on this issue, as I honestly didn't think the kid could ever hit, but every once in a while something just clicks for a kid.  I hate to break up the "MO!"  and Iggy has been a big part of creating the MO.

I agree that Drew is the smart choice, but only because we are paying him so damn much money.  I never would have given the guy this grossly inflated salary, but it's what the market was when we picked him up.  Obviously the Sox didn't think they had an option, but I wanted to go with Ciriaco since early last year.  With Iggy and Ciriaco, I would look to deal Drew.  Yes!  It's risky, but I would go for it.  Ultimately, I would not mind keeping Drew as a very good utility infielder to back up Iggy for the rest of this year.  The problem?  What do we do with Ciriaco????

Mute points..............   as it seems clear that the Sox will be going with Drew.  :(

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Middlebrooks proves you have to go with the younger player = NO DREW for Iggy

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Unlike some posters, I try to be objective. I have no favorite sacred cow players. And I have no whipping boy scapegoats. I just want to see us win. I want to see our best nine on the field. Who our best nine may be is, at least , somewhat  subjective .   I think that Iglesias has earned the shortstop job. I think that Middlebrooks is our most dangerous hitter. I think we can contend with the talent that we have. I think that I could be wrong. Your opinion is as valid as mine. I think we should stop with the trade deadline stuff. And the long range projections. Of course , we have to plan ahead. But the present is now. We have two  championships in our lifetime. We should try our best for another each and every year. Don' t be so concerned with trying to show how clever you are. Just put our best team on the field and take our best shot.

our best team includes Drew at SS not Iggy. The numbers support that fact in a large sample size. Discounting statistics that do not fit your narrative is not being objective.

+1

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

After what we've seen from Iggy early on, I find the prospect of giving Drew the job ...... "depressing."  I agree that Drew has been a solid player, with a very good OPS, but Iggy may well be ready to carpe diem.  This is a radical departure from where I have stood on this issue, as I honestly didn't think the kid could ever hit, but every once in a while something just clicks for a kid.  I hate to break up the "MO!"  and Iggy has been a big part of creating the MO.

I agree that Drew is the smart choice, but only because we are paying him so damn much money.  I never would have given the guy this grossly inflated salary, but it's what the market was when we picked him up.  Obviously the Sox didn't think they had an option, but I wanted to go with Ciriaco since early last year.  With Iggy and Ciriaco, I would look to deal Drew.  Yes!  It's risky, but I would go for it.  Ultimately, I would not mind keeping Drew as a very good utility infielder to back up Iggy for the rest of this year.  The problem?  What do we do with Ciriaco????

Mute points..............   as it seems clear that the Sox will be going with Drew.  :(

Another problem: Drew has never played anywhere but SS

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Unlike some posters, I try to be objective. I have no favorite sacred cow players. And I have no whipping boy scapegoats. I just want to see us win. I want to see our best nine on the field. Who our best nine may be is, at least , somewhat  subjective .   I think that Iglesias has earned the shortstop job. I think that Middlebrooks is our most dangerous hitter. I think we can contend with the talent that we have. I think that I could be wrong. Your opinion is as valid as mine. I think we should stop with the trade deadline stuff. And the long range projections. Of course , we have to plan ahead. But the present is now. We have two  championships in our lifetime. We should try our best for another each and every year. Don' t be so concerned with trying to show how clever you are. Just put our best team on the field and take our best shot.

our best team includes Drew at SS not Iggy. The numbers support that fact in a large sample size. Discounting statistics that do not fit your narrative is not being objective.

Iglesias is hitting .529 for Boston.  Drew is hitting .100 for Portland  Iglesias is so far better defensively , that it is not even arguable. Stop with the " sample size " thing.  Let's see if things change. Right now , it is obvious who deserves the job. . Iglesias can only get better. Drew can only decline. I ask you the same question ; Would you trade  Iglesias for Drew ?  And , don't tell me about potential. This is the present. Not the future. Not the past. Right now. Would  you trade Iglesias for Drew ? I doubt that any GM in baseball would. Would you ?   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Iglesias is hitting .529 for Boston.  Drew is hitting .100 for Portland  Iglesias is so far better defensively , that it is not even arguable. Stop with the " sample size " thing.  Let's see if things change. Right now , it is obvious who deserves the job. . Iglesias can only get better. Drew can only decline. I ask you the same question ; Would you trade  Iglesias for Drew ?  And , don't tell me about potential. This is the present. Not the future. Not the past. Right now. Would  you trade Iglesias for Drew ? I doubt that any GM in baseball would. Would you ?   

if i am advocating Drew playing over iggy RIGHT NOW. not in the past, not in the future (2014) then of course i would trade Iggys 2013 for Drews 2013.

the facts are, Iggy has declined at each level in the MiLB and Drew is a PROVEN MLB SS who ranks 15th among SSs in WAR since 2008 (missing significant time with injury mind you). But i expect you will just discount those numbers too since they don't fit your narrative.

if we are talking 2013 only, in a vacuum. Then i would trade Iggy for Drew in a heartbeat. I'd even throw in a lottery arm.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Drew deserves the job plain and simple. Inglesias could have had the job but blew it last year. You are basing your stats on 3 games for Drew and 5 for Inglesias. Drew has shown that he could be a really good SS. Inglesias' stat while seemingly impressive but aren't when you factor in the large amount of infield hits he has.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I can only add that with that kind of logical objective reasoning on your part there is really no room for further discussion or difference of opinion. Seriously, there are some good arguements to keep Iggy at SS; there are also reasonable arguements to send Iggy down and keep Drew up at SS. I think the FO will be sending Iggy down, not that they are necessarily the smartest group of execs in the world. I happen to agree with this decision.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

In response to slomag's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

Please man up if you were one of the ones who said Youk should not have lost his job because of an injury and that WM shouldve been sent down....same thing again - Iggy has already more great defensive plays in one week that Aviles made all last year...and oh yea, he's hitting .529

btw have the sox made an error yet? hmmm 

I was against throwing Youkilis away for nothing.  Middlebrooks played in 75 games and broke his wrist.  By the end of the year, James Loney was our 1B.  Youk is batting cleanup for the Yankees right now (hitting .400), and all we got in compensation was Zach Stewart, later traded for Kyle Kaminska.

What, exactly, am I manning up to?

Drew proved in ST that his ankle is healthy enough to play SS.  He's likely to be above average offensively at the trade deadline, and will fetch something valuable.  If Iglesias's bat is ready let him prove it in Pawtucket while Drew gathers some trade value.

Signing Drew was a mistake.  

Iggy hit .118 in his tryout with the Sox last year. So if the Sox didn't sign Drew and went in to the season with Iggy as the SS and he was hitting .118 now and in a month from now, you know what you'd be saying.

You'd be ripping the Sox for not being better prepared at SS.

Good thing you didnt throw pedey under the bus after his miserable september in 2006

Like you did and still do?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

Why not be happy with both Iggy and Drew on the team fighting for the position and have Ciriaco in reserve.? why the waste of energy and time debating this.? Isn't this great so far. Why not enjoy the Red Sox?

Whatever makes you think that having a debate about Iggy and Drew precludes enjoying the hell out of the team's start this year Pike?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Drew deserves the job plain and simple. Inglesias could have had the job but blew it last year. You are basing your stats on 3 games for Drew and 5 for Inglesias. Drew has shown that he could be a really good SS. Inglesias' stat while seemingly impressive but aren't when you factor in the large amount of infield hits he has.

Drew deserves the job because , at least , his name is easier to spell. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

It will all come out in the wash. It is a nice problem to have. Sox are 4-2 on the road and are playing great. Is this the "Arguement Clinic" from the Monty Python series?  Why do you love argueing over NOTHING? Such a waste of time and effort. Walk your dog.

A waste of time and effort would be continuing to discuss this with YOU. Not that the dog doesn't appreciate you.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Nothing to discuss. Iggy is hitting great and playing tremendous defense. I watch the games. Drew is in rehab. Iggy might go into a slump and then Drew replaces him. Ben Cherrington had a plan A and B. He had the situation covered. Time will tell what the next move should be.  Yes, walk your dog - no story here.

This poster has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.