Re: Middlebrooks should be in Pawtucket

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

In response to splendidsplinterteddyballgame's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

Someone of his age and lack of experience should be in Pawrucket working on his swing and not on the Major League roster. .199 in the 8 hole?

If there's a Pawtucket Red Sox chatboard, you should go there to post.  Your posting is all predictable kneejerk scapgoating in response the most recent loss and demonstrates no baseball insight and appreciation for the game.  You've earned all the contempt and mockery that you're receiving in return from Conan and others.  You belong in the minors too.

[/QUOTE]

.199 ave. .233 OBP, doesn't move runners, not fielding well.  I think the assessment was spot on.

[/QUOTE]

It is blatantly obvious that Middlebrooks is performing poorly, and I'm not defending Middlebrooks's performance.  It's about criticising unoriginal and predictable posting.  The Red Sox just made a move to release Ciriaco, so this means that Iggy is here for good.  They need to decide the optimum combination for the left side of the infield for August, September and beyond.  That's why they need to get a better look at what they have right now before they pull any strings to make a move.  

[/QUOTE]

As painful as it is to watch, this is true. Farrell has to give Middy some time to see if hes going to mature and change his approach. They only have 4-6 weeks before the deadline. Middy is trying to hit doubles and HR, he said it himself. He has a terrible mindset and approach,IMO. Soon, like with Drew, they will have to sit him or even send him to AAA. This is why I didnt want to let go of Drew, like some here wanted to immediately do. Drew has always been a streaky hitter, like most MLB players, and should get hot soon enough. At least Drews golve has been solid all year. Middy hasnt done squat all year except for a 3hr game in April and has hands of stone. If Drew is gone, you now have an IF of Iggy and Holt...Oh joy!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I reluctantly agree.  I was hoping to see Iggy and Bogaerts on the left side next year, and trade WMB for value.  Demoting him hurts his value, but right now, he is the offensive version of Bard.  It's always, always, always, the K/W.

And I question his attitude.  When asked about his Ks awhile back, he responded something about being a free swinger, as if that was an acceptable rationale for not controling the strike zone.

Now he talks about losing his spark, with not even a full season behind him.

Joe nails it.  He's been preaching the K/W gospel and Middlebrooks is proving him right again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

It's a team game, especially when it comes to winning and losing.  Of the last five Sox games, Iglesias started two and the Sox lost both of them--against different teams.  But he played great.

For most of this season the Sox have had and used five infielders at the 3B, SS, and 2B positions:  Middlebrooks, Drew, Pedroia, Ciriaco, and Iglesias.  Iglesias only came to Boston when someone was injured, first Drew, then Middlebrooks.  But now, with Ciriaco traded, the Sox are at the irreduciable minimum 4 infielders to cover those three positions with an essential spare. 

Right now the spare is Iglesias, which makes him pretty happy because he obviously is with the big club for good and the heir apparent at SS.  And, just as important, he is on a team that is at or near the top of the AL in wins--a contender. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Maybe I just find myself agreeing wth him more often, but ADG seems less whiny this year.   The man did come out and support Clay Mortenson.  I ddi not agree with his logic (if you take out Mortenson's bad outings, he is good.)  But do agree that Clay's role is to pitch innings in games that have been decided in order to give a rest to the more reliable members of the bullpen (which I am pretty sure it NOT how it was explained to him).

I have really never had much faith in Middlebrooks, and very much like the idea of a Bogaerts-Iglesias left side in 2014.   It would be nice if Drew would acquiesce and play 3B today, but I have no idea if he has even been asked.  (The Yankees had interest in him this offseason, but he turned them down upon learning that they wanted him to play 3B.) 

Either way, I like the job Drew is doing and his detractors never seem to want to acknowledge that the man got a slow start after sustaining a concussion.   You might not think this is much of an injury for baseball players, but a concussion turned former MVP Justin Morneau into a singles hitter still and it is a full THREE years later.  A concussion turned Jason Bay from a cleanup hitter into weakside platoon hitter.  Again, it has been nearly 3 years, and he still is not the player he was. 

So cut Drew some slack for needing almost one month...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Maybe I just find myself agreeing wth him more often, but ADG seems less whiny this year.   The man did come out and support Clay Mortenson.  I ddi not agree with his logic (if you take out Mortenson's bad outings, he is good.)  But do agree that Clay's role is to pitch innings in games that have been decided in order to give a rest to the more reliable members of the bullpen (which I am pretty sure it NOT how it was explained to him).

I have really never had much faith in Middlebrooks, and very much like the idea of a Bogaerts-Iglesias left side in 2014.   It would be nice if Drew would acquiesce and play 3B today, but I have no idea if he has even been asked.  (The Yankees had interest in him this offseason, but he turned them down upon learning that they wanted him to play 3B.) 

Either way, I like the job Drew is doing and his detractors never seem to want to acknowledge that the man got a slow start after sustaining a concussion.   You might not think this is much of an injury for baseball players, but a concussion turned former MVP Justin Morneau into a singles hitter still and it is a full THREE years later.  A concussion turned Jason Bay from a cleanup hitter into weakside platoon hitter.  Again, it has been nearly 3 years, and he still is not the player he was. 

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

Some posters dont care about stuff like that notin. They only care about what they want to see happen. Once again, your making entirely too much sense this early on a Saturday morning.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

That's a very good point notin about the concussions.

I posted something close to your observation today re. Ross--he has not been the same this last few weeks since he had his 7 day concussion DL stint. I'm concerned about Ross because both his hitting and throwing have had some issues. I don't know whether he has made much of any contact at the plate and he seems to get a direct hit every game in the mask.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I posted something close to your observation today re. Ross--he has not been the same this last few weeks since he had his 7 day concussion DL stint. I'm concerned about Ross because both his hitting and throwing have had some issues. I don't know whether he has made much of any contact at the plate and he seems to get a direct hit every game in the mask.

Good observation. This worries me too Mad. Ross is usually right on with his throws and since being hit in the melon a couple times hes been way off. At the plate and trying to throw out runners. Its almost as if popping up that quickly is throwing things off and the ball is sailing on him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

-Shel Silverstein

Thank you Notin. I'm just stating the facts that a lot of people here with rose colored glasses don't want to see. I think the press also agree with me as do most of the Red Sox fans. Fans that don't agree have no baseball knowledge and are just rah rah pink hats. The Herald today said that Middlebrooks should be sitting as he is scuffling at bat (badly) and in the field.

Farrell also realizes this. In the 9th last night, he let Iglesias sit and had Drew ready to hit for Middlebrooks. I'm guessing it will be Iglesias and Drew today.

For Iglesias to play every day, either Middlebrooks or Drew must sit. One of them could even conceivably go. In the short term, the player to bench is Middlebrooks, who has struggled both offensively and defensively since returning from the disabled list on Monday. Middlebrooks is a far better player than his numbers (.198-8-22) suggest, but he’s scuffling — hard. - See more at: http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/boston_red_sox/2013/06/jose_iglesias_forces_issue#sthash.7aPVEqA6.dpuf For Iglesias to play every day, either Middlebrooks or Drew must sit. One of them could even conceivably go. In the short term, the player to bench is Middlebrooks, who has struggled both offensively and defensively since returning from the disabled list on Monday. Middlebrooks is a far better player than his numbers (.198-8-22) suggest, but he’s scuffling — hard. - See more at: http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/boston_red_sox/2013/06/jose_iglesias_forces_issue#sthash.7aPVEqA6.dpuf

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

He hasn't. I believe he had gotten his average in the .230 range, but he's back down around .180 now. Remember when everyone wanted Mirabelli gone for hitting .210. Ross has been worse.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

There is no reason why Middlebrooks cant get a few starts a week right now with Iggy and Drew splitting the majority of the time. If he goes down who does he get replaced with?  Drew Sutton?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In December our buddy started a separate thread belittling me after I wrote: ""I hope Middlebrooks performs well in 2013, but I would not be surprised if he spends some time in Pawtucket."

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/hills-crystal-ball-middlebrooks-to-need-more-time-in-aaa-in-2013/100/6461256?page=1

Other posters piled on.

You also predicted the Mariners would be better than the Red Sox and were exetremely high on Montero being the Mariners franchise catch. But don't let you stop trolling.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

He hasn't. I believe he had gotten his average in the .230 range, but he's back down around .180 now. Remember when everyone wanted Mirabelli gone for hitting .210. Ross has been worse.

[/QUOTE]

Who cares about Ross's BA. He is defensive back up catcher.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Who cares about Ross's BA. He is defensive back up catcher.

[/QUOTE]

We can afford a black hole in Ross if WMB and Drew were hitting the baseball. They are not. You cannot have three black holes in the 7, 8, and 9 holes. Its a recipe for failure unless your pitching is top notch.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In December our buddy started a separate thread belittling me after I wrote: ""I hope Middlebrooks performs well in 2013, but I would not be surprised if he spends some time in Pawtucket."

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/hills-crystal-ball-middlebrooks-to-need-more-time-in-aaa-in-2013/100/6461256?page=1

Other posters piled on.

And just to watch people minds blow up, I would give Bogaerts some reps at 3B, and if successful, I would give serious consideration to trading WMB for young pitching and promoting Bogaerts.  He had a great start, but a weak K/W, and from 6/24 thru YE, he had a 33/6 K/W with a corresponding .692 OPS.  Remember too a BABIP of .335 is likely unsustainable.

Just remember who did and who didn't.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]

-Shel Silverstein

Thank you Notin. I'm just stating the facts that a lot of people here with rose colored glasses don't want to see. I think the press also agree with me as do most of the Red Sox fans. Fans that don't agree have no baseball knowledge and are just rah rah pink hats. The Herald today said that Middlebrooks should be sitting as he is scuffling at bat (badly) and in the field.

Farrell also realizes this. In the 9th last night, he let Iglesias sit and had Drew ready to hit for Middlebrooks. I'm guessing it will be Iglesias and Drew today.

For Iglesias to play every day, either Middlebrooks or Drew must sit. One of them could even conceivably go. In the short term, the player to bench is Middlebrooks, who has struggled both offensively and defensively since returning from the disabled list on Monday. Middlebrooks is a far better player than his numbers (.198-8-22) suggest, but he’s scuffling — hard. - See more at: http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/boston_red_sox/2013/06/jose_iglesias_forces_issue#sthash.7aPVEqA6.dpuf For Iglesias to play every day, either Middlebrooks or Drew must sit. One of them could even conceivably go. In the short term, the player to bench is Middlebrooks, who has struggled both offensively and defensively since returning from the disabled list on Monday. Middlebrooks is a far better player than his numbers (.198-8-22) suggest, but he’s scuffling — hard. - See more at: http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/boston_red_sox/2013/06/jose_iglesias_forces_issue#sthash.7aPVEqA6.dpuf[/QUOTE]

Actually, you're not stating facts.  The title of this thread is Middlebrooks should be in Pawtucket.  That's an opinion.  The fact is he is playing for Boston right now.  Also, here is your opening post:  

Someone of his age and lack of experience should be in Pawrucket working on his swing and not on the Major League roster. .199 in the 8 hole?

Again, you wrote he should be in Pawtucket.   That is not a fact.  That his batting average is .199 is a fact, but you followed it with a question mark.  That makes it an opinion.

Now, if you had come out and posted that Middlebrooks should have stayed in Pawtucket prior to the team releasing Ciriaco in spite of a Middlebrooks good showing in AAA, that would have been insightful and worthy of credit.  But nooooooooooooooooooo!  You come here with your typical reactive thread headline to the latest Red Sox problem with your perfect hindsight, questioning management after the fact.  

You see, I'm the realist here, not you.   All these decisions involve risk and there are alternatives to be considered, which may or may be better that the course of action that is chosen.  You fail to acknowledge any of that.  I may be wearing rose-colored glasses, but at least I can see some of the larger picture.  

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

Two points

With Middlebrooks playing in AAA and not in Boston his trade value decreases  and my guess is a teem rebuilding might give up a proven vetern player and take a chance on him.

Second point Bogarts  and Garin Cecchini are moving up fast . Cecchini is the best player in the Carolina League hands down. and he plays 3RD  Middlebrooks might not be their 3b of the future ,

Having said this I hesitate only because an injury to Drew Or Iggy would be a potential disaster.leaving us with only Holt who value however seems to be rising.

Note. I han't gave up on Middlebrooks but I don't get to see Bogarts or Cecchini play every day. However the Red Sox do and I am comfortable not second gussing their decision until they have been proven wrong. We're on top and making demands for Cherrington or Farrell seems a little misplaced at this point.

And what happens to Middlebrooks' value hitting below the Mendoza line in Boston? If he can't hit in Pawtucket, then he might not turn into anything period. If he's worth something, he'll hit.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Other posters piled on.

You also predicted the Mariners would be better than the Red Sox and were exetremely high on Montero being the Mariners franchise catch. But don't let you stop trolling.

You apparently have me confused with another poster. Before the start of this season I forecast 81 wins for the Mariners and 84 wins for the Red Sox (although I wrote at the end of last season that the franchises appeared headed in different directions). Neither forecast looks particularly good at this point.

I've never promoted Jesus Montero as a "franchise" player because Montero shares some of the shortcomings of Will Middlebrooks. During the offseason I wrote that the Mariners should continue to work with Montero because of his young age.

I still hope Middlebrooks and Montero perform well at the MLB level.

Re: Hill's Crystal Ball: Middlebrooks to need more time in AAA in 2013

posted at 12/7/2012 5:13 PM EST

• BosoxJoe5
    • First: 6/5/2008
    • Last: 6/15/2013

Softy is a fool but Hill you need to admit you have been wrong about WMB. However you won't.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to darrylfries' comment:

[QUOTE]

Two points

With Middlebrooks playing in AAA and not in Boston his trade value decreases  and my guess is a teem rebuilding might give up a proven vetern player and take a chance on him.

Second point Bogarts  and Garin Cecchini are moving up fast . Cecchini is the best player in the Carolina League hands down. and he plays 3RD  Middlebrooks might not be their 3b of the future ,

Having said this I hesitate only because an injury to Drew Or Iggy would be a potential disaster.leaving us with only Holt who value however seems to be rising.

Note. I han't gave up on Middlebrooks but I don't get to see Bogarts or Cecchini play every day. However the Red Sox do and I am comfortable not second gussing their decision until they have been proven wrong. We're on top and making demands for Cherrington or Farrell seems a little misplaced at this point.

And what happens to Middlebrooks' value hitting below the Mendoza line in Boston? If he can't hit in Pawtucket, then he might not turn into anything period. If he's worth something, he'll hit.

[/QUOTE]

If it was just a slump, like Gomes was in, you give him a day off here and there, and maybe try to give him the best matchups, and usually, guys snap out of slumps.  One day, for reasons that have remained mysterious over 100 years, you absolutely nail a pitch.  Then you hit well for 4-6 weeks.

But this is all about zone control, and Middlebrooks has none.  That has to be learned, or re-learned.  He is not going to get lucky on the pro level and start hitting .300 with pitches 3 inches off the plate.  You'll occasionally nail a pitch 3 inches off the plate, but there is no repeatibility to that.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts