Middlebrooks was horrible

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

Middlebrooks was horrible

Lame at the plate. Lame in the field.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: Middlebrooks was horrible

I am the last person to throw players under the bus but I could not believe he missed that ball I was just totally amazed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Middlebrooks was thrown cold into the middle of a game after not playing. Even the announcers who love St. Louis were saying how hard that is to do. Has absolutely nothing to do with the ridiculous call on third.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from irish-sox-fan. Show irish-sox-fan's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

He missed a ball that should not have been thrown.... exciting game overall though, other than losing of course.

That ball was thrown right at him and had a great shot at a DP. Even if it was late to third if he catches it the runner is out at home by 10 ft. What play did you watch????

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenway3. Show fenway3's posts

The ball should never have been thrown. The bottom of the lineup was coming up against our best pitcher.  You have to know the situations.  This world series has been terrible.  The strike zone is all over the place, fox coverage sucks.  Show the game not the guys in the booth, not a pitchers family.  The coverage on mad dog radio equally is terrible.  They run commercials during  an inning of play.  The Red Sox feed was on Mad Dog radio and the coverage was terrible.  

I believe Joyce and West love the spot light on them.  Feel they are bigger than the game.

Lastly the top of the lineup needs to start hitting.  When they get on we score.  Feel like the sport gods will help us tomorrow.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oscars. Show oscars's posts

The fact that Salty should not have made the throw, does not excuse the fact that Middlebrooks has to catch that ball. Peddy had just shown him the effort and desire required to come up with the play,  when the stakes are at there highest.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to irish-sox-fan's comment:

He missed a ball that should not have been thrown.... exciting game overall though, other than losing of course.

That ball was thrown right at him and had a great shot at a DP. Even if it was late to third if he catches it the runner is out at home by 10 ft. What play did you watch????

Wrong on all counts.  But it was a catchable throw...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

He let 2 very fieldable balls get by him.  Both plays aided in us losing the game.  Then again Breslow has sucked more this series.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

He let 2 very fieldable balls get by him.  Both plays aided in us losing the game.  Then again Breslow has sucked more this series.

Hollidays's double was a tough play.  My thoughts are he was out of position, and should have been guarding the line.  But that is Farrell's call, not Middlebrooks.  So I don't fault him there.  And really, 7th inning of a tie game, guarding the line is a coin toss.

He should have caught Salty's throw.  It was not the best throw, but it was not horrible.  The problem was, he tried to hold his ground.  In that situation, he has to PREVENT the run from scoring above all else, even if it means stepping out of Craig's path and knocking the ball down.   Or stepping towards Salty into the path and letting Craig take third.  Keep the ball in the infield first and foremost.

I don't fault Salty. Craig made a bone-headed baserunning play, and ggot lucky it paid off.  Salty is not going to think "Wait! Why throw?  Pete Kozma is coming up!"  Take the out.  His throw was not good, but it was not horrific and impossible, either.

Middlebrooks got caught in a situation where he forgot that catching that ball was far more important that getting the out...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Hollidays's double was a tough play.  My thoughts are he was out of position, and should have been guarding the line.  But that is Farrell's call, not Middlebrooks.  So I don't fault him there.  And really, 7th inning of a tie game, guarding the line is a coin toss.

He should have caught Salty's throw.  It was not the best throw, but it was not horrible.  The problem was, he tried to hold his ground.  In that situation, he has to PREVENT the run from scoring above all else, even if it means stepping out of Craig's path and knocking the ball down.   Or stepping towards Salty into the path and letting Craig take third.  Keep the ball in the infield first and foremost.

I don't fault Salty. Craig made a bone-headed baserunning play, and ggot lucky it paid off.  Salty is not going to think "Wait! Why throw?  Pete Kozma is coming up!"  Take the out.  His throw was not good, but it was not horrific and impossible, either.

Middlebrooks got caught in a situation where he forgot that catching that ball was far more important that getting the out...

same can be said about boggie the night before but only one of them got dirty.

Neither is having a good series defensively. 

It is easy to say Bogaerts is outhitting him, but it really is unfair to Middlebrooks, who has 2 PA.

I would not be surprised to see Middlebrooks over Bogaerts with Lynn on the mound.  Is the lineup out yet?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Yes, he was bad. But in his defense, he hadn't played  in nine days.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I noticed all year that Middlebrooks has trouble going to his right. A lot of balls get past him on that side. Holiday's ball was hit hard ( terrible pitch call , by the way) , but an infielder should not let a ball get under his glove. Get the glove down. On the other play, it was a poor throw by Salty, but certainly one that should have been caught, or at least knocked down. What can you do ? The bottom line is that it is a team game. Win or lose as a team. Singling out one player is really not justifiable. A lot of different things factor into winning or losing these games. As for the manager, Farrell has done a very good job all year. Last night was not one of his most stellar performances. Lastly, tonight's St. Louis starter is not as good as the others. Sox need to come out confident and aggressive against him. Last night is history. Forget it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to notin's comment:

In response to irish-sox-fan's comment:

Wrong on all counts.  But it was a catchable throw...

This is the second comment today by Irish fan that makes me wonder if he watched the game.  The throw was obviously not right at him.  The mistake he made was trying to make the play, instead of giving up on the runner and taking two steps to his left.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I noticed all year that Middlebrooks has trouble going to his right. A lot of balls get past him on that side. Holiday's ball was hit hard ( terrible pitch call , by the way) , but an infielder should not let a ball get under his glove. Get the glove down. On the other play, it was a poor throw by Salty, but certainly one that should have been caught, or at least knocked down. What can you do ? The bottom line is that it is a team game. Win or lose as a team. Singling out one player is really not justifiable. A lot of different things factor into winning or losing these games. As for the manager, Farrell has done a very good job all year. Last night was not one of his most stellar performances. Lastly, tonight's St. Louis starter is not as good as the others. Sox need to come out confident and aggressive against him. Last night is history. Forget it.

Totally agree! I have been arguing with a buddy for weeks that Middlebrooks stinks in the field. His response has been that he has only made one error and my reply has been that he doesn't cover the line well at all, especially in close games in the late innings. On Holidays double I had him playing 12-15 off the bag with 2 runners on in a tie ballgame. Last night, although he threw the ball wildly to first, Bogaerts gloved a similarly hard hit ball in the same area with no problem. Over the course of the season I've seen this happen to him at least a 1/2 dozen times. Maybe the answer is to have Farrell play him closer to the line but late inning doubles in a close game will kill us.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Yes, he was bad. But in his defense, he hadn't played  in nine days.

while I understand this to a point. He HAS to be ready when called upon.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

HE IS JUST NOT TERRIBLE, HE IS JUST HAVING A MENTALLY BREAK DOWN.  HE IS JUST ANGRY CUZ HE DOESNT LIKE TO SIT WHERE IT IS EFFECTING HIS FOCUS AT THE PLATE AND 3B.

IF FARRELL NEVER TAKE HIM OUT, MIDDLEBROOK WOULD BE HITTING JUST LIKE DREW OR SALTY OR ROSS OR MAYBE GOMES LIKE HE MAY GET A CLUTCH HITTING HOMERUN.  BUT FARRELL LIKE BOGAERTS BETTER CUZ HE IS ON FIRE.  OF COURSE, FARRELL WOULD TRY TO EXPERIENCE PUTTING BOGAERTS AT SS AND MIDDLEBROOK AT 3B SO HE CAN TRY TO GET THE OFFENSE GOING.  BUT WITH SO MANY PLAYERS HITTING TERRIBLE, FARRELL SWITCH HIS GAME PLAN INTO A DEFENSE PLAN.  THAT IS GOOD MOVE BY FARRELL.

MIDDLEBROOK WILL GET HIS CHANCE NEXT SEASON, BUT HE MAY NOT HAVE MUCH TIME TO PROVE HIMSELF.   IT IS YEAR THREE NEXT YEAR, AND YOU KNOW BOSTON NEVER LIKE TO KEEP GIVING ALOT OF CHANCES TO ANYONE.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

How many of you thought he could replace Youk's bat?

Not me.  Never.  Do NOT mess with YOUK! He's a grinder w/ a 400 OBP and CLUTCH!

Sections
Shortcuts