Middlebrooks will be moved @ the winter meetings ..........

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Middlebrooks will be moved @ the winter meetings ..........

I dont think he would trade him straight up for Logan Morrison, which is the new rumor. Nor would I. Anything is possible, but unless the return is pretty good, I dont see them letting Middy go. A guy like Morrison isnt going to do it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I dont think he would trade him straight up for Logan Morrison, which is the new rumor. Nor would I. Anything is possible, but unless the return is pretty good, I dont see them letting Middy go. A guy like Morrison isnt going to do it.

Napoli signing would seem to squash that idea, and I'm glad. Nava and Carp are better than Morrison.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

With Napoli's signing I don't think the Sox are planning on trading for Morrison or any other first baseman. This doesn't mean the Sox won't trade Middlebrooks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Or at least a conversation to set up bigger things .......  Ben C is certainly in the drivers seat  !!!!     What say you ????

[/QUOTE]

Ben, is in a spot to do what ever he wants. Dump a contract ( Dempster or Peavy) get a bat like Kemp, or sign Drew back. Or he can make a move no one can see coming that will make you go wow. I'm with you a trade is coming what kind stay tuned.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Their current weakness is 3B/SS and OF.  THis is where they have unproven young players and fringe veterens.  One spot is fine, even two if push came to shove, but currently they have 4(3B, SS, CF, LF).  That is simply too much.  They need at least a drew or choo/kemp to overcome and cover for injuries etc.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Napoli signing ends any interest they may have had in Morrison, Southpaw, which may have been a simple rumor generated to push Naps.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from spewey. Show spewey's posts

[QUOTE]

Or at least a conversation to set up bigger things .......  Ben C is certainly in the drivers seat  !!!!     What say you ????

[/QUOTE]

I would say Ben couldn't be further from the drivers seat if he is selling Middlebrooks at what would seem to be his lowest value after a down year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Napoli signing ends any interest they may have had in Morrison, Southpaw, which may have been a simple rumor generated to push Naps.  

[/QUOTE]

And I was glad to hear Naps signing because of that jasko. You know I value the raw power of guys like Middy and Brentz and I would like them to have longer leashes than some impatient "fans" here would like. Some guys dont develop until 25ish. Not all MLB players are there at age 23. Every player develops and grows at a different pace. With the raw power and Potential he has, It would be silly to give up on him now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

WMB is not going to bring any great financial relief  and allow Drew to be resigned. Other than parting with Gomes there aren't many places to save some money without eliminating Demp, Lack or Peavy. It would take one of those guys to be traded to sign Drew and stay under the Cap. They could have signed a less expensive good SS--Brendan Ryan but for some reason BenC didn't pull the trigger and the Yankees did.

Brock Holt or McCoy may be the guys already in the system or a trade for Asdrubal Cabrera or Mike Aviles OR a blockbuster for Tulo.

OR just go with your gutt and leave Xander at SS and WMB at third and if either don't work bring up Holt or McCoy. BenC obviously is going to try Xander unless Drew is miraculously resigned.

I thought the Yankees would pull the trigger on Drew with his natural swing at the Stadium but they may have other needs that need to be addressed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And I was glad to hear Naps signing because of that jasko. You know I value the raw power of guys like Middy and Brentz and I would like them to have longer leashes than some impatient "fans" here would like. Some guys dont develop until 25ish. Not all MLB players are there at age 23. Every player develops and grows at a different pace. With the raw power and Potential he has, It would be silly to give up on him now.

[/QUOTE]Speaking of Brentz,     Is he anywhere near ML ready ????  Does have that potential power swing !!!

[/QUOTE]

He hit 19hr in 88 games last year. That becomes about 35hr over a full season. the raw power is def there. His issue, like middys, is pitch selection. He could fill in this year if needed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, Southpaw...Right handed power is a commodity that you just don't "give up on" or "give away" after a blip on the radar.  I'll be able to find out more about what the consensus of the organization thinks of Middlebrooks & Brentz at this point this week.  Last year, all people talked about was Middlebrooks' raw power, although the consensus was that he may take a step back this year as the adjustments on him were made.  People also like to simply forget about his wrist injury.  I also heard that he was so far in his own head after his early season struggles that the organization basically told him to go back to Pawtucket and learn to have fun playing the game again.  He's clearly no sure thing, but when there are enough people who will tell you he has the most raw right handed power as a home grown kid since Jim Rice, he should get a long look.  I just hope they have a little more patience than this board does.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Don't think young hitters permanantly lose it mentally quite the way young pitchers can. Middie's issues are in the field; no range, not a flexible body = most balls go buy him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I say Ben better make some kind of move at SS, 3B and in the OF that helps our cause.  M. Young if the price is right is looking pretty good for starters.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

At least there should be no more Logan Morrison to the Sox rumors.  He was not needed and certainly is not needed now even for a bag of balls.

I also do not like the idea of trading Middlebrooks unless he brings back a very good, top talent, young pitcher from somewhere else.  He will improve his plate discipline in 2014.  He may have the most power of anyone on the Red Sox entire 40 man roster including Napoli and Ortiz.  When this guy hits line drive home runs they leave the park in about 2 seconds.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I don't think trading Middlebrooks makes any sense - unless it is part of a package to get Stanton.

Middlebrooks is a good player with good power; he's still young.  He will improve.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

At least there should be no more Logan Morrison to the Sox rumors.  He was not needed and certainly is not needed now even for a bag of balls.

I also do not like the idea of trading Middlebrooks unless he brings back a very good, top talent, young pitcher from somewhere else.  He will improve his plate discipline in 2014.  He may have the most power of anyone on the Red Sox entire 40 man roster including Napoli and Ortiz.  When this guy hits line drive home runs they leave the park in about 2 seconds.

A Middlebrooks resurgence, or in other words better plate discipline is a lot to hope for.  Salty finally did it but a (one year) small sample doesn't mean much.  At this point I would certainly entertain moving him for a better centerpiece.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm not saying I am for bringing Drew back, but by trading Dempster & Gomes or Peavy alone, we could sign Drew and stay under the luxury limit. Moving Bogey to 3B would allow us to trade Carp or Middlebrooks for a decent OF option to compliment or possibly replace JBJ in CF if he struggles next year. Trading Carp makes more sense in this scenario, since Middy could play  3B or 3B in case of injury, but if Gomes (and dempster) are traded not Peavy, then Carp could be utilized more in LF.

As for Brentz, I know this team has not had man big power bats come up through our system in recent years, but that should lead us to the tendency to get all gushy over the few that put up big numbers in the minors or in short MLB stints. History is littered with minor league power giants who never amount to squat in the bigs.

Here are all the Sox prospects with big HR per AB ratios since 2007 (20+ HRs or an awesome ratio):

2007: Aaron Bates 28 HRs/464ABs, Bubba Bell 26/469, Jon Still 25/440, Brad Correll 23/250 (Wow! what a ratio!), Z Daeges 21/515, S White 21/465, Reddick 18/370

2008: Van Every 26/380, J Bailey 25/418, C Carter 24/470, Reddick 23/482, Still 22/456, Kottaras 22/395, L Exposito 21/417, J Stanley 18/308

2009: Lavarnway 21/404

2010: Rizzo 25/531,, Spears 20/514,  Reddick 18/451, R Rodriguez 14/278

2011: Lava 32/435, Brentz 30/458, Middy 23/439, M Head 22/495, Chang 18/321, Vazquez 18/392, Jacobs 17/442, Bogey 16/265, Reddick 14/191

2012: M Gomez 24/387, Bogey 20/475, de la Cruz 20/499, T Shaw 19/462, Hazelbaker 19/466, Brentz 17/463, Linares 16/413, R Rodriguez 16/370

2013: D Chester 19/432, Brentz 19/343, Coyle 16/240, Butler 14/282

Yes, there are a few on this list that may end up with decent MLB careers, but a pretty big majority will not. I'm not saying the odds doom Brentz or Middy, but I think some of us may be relying too much on hope than probability. (No disrespect intended)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, Southpaw...Right handed power is a commodity that you just don't "give up on" or "give away" after a blip on the radar.  I'll be able to find out more about what the consensus of the organization thinks of Middlebrooks & Brentz at this point this week.  Last year, all people talked about was Middlebrooks' raw power, although the consensus was that he may take a step back this year as the adjustments on him were made.  People also like to simply forget about his wrist injury.  I also heard that he was so far in his own head after his early season struggles that the organization basically told him to go back to Pawtucket and learn to have fun playing the game again.  He's clearly no sure thing, but when there are enough people who will tell you he has the most raw right handed power as a home grown kid since Jim Rice, he should get a long look.  I just hope they have a little more patience than this board does.

[/QUOTE]

I you want, I can private message you my email here on BDC and we can keep in touch that way. Id like to hear whats happening at the meetings.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I you want, I can private message you my email here on BDC and we can keep in touch that way. Id like to hear whats happening at the meetings.

[/QUOTE]

Sure, that works, Southpaw. I get in tomorrow morning.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'm not saying I am for bringing Drew back, but by trading Dempster & Gomes or Peavy alone, we could sign Drew and stay under the luxury limit. Moving Bogey to 3B would allow us to trade Carp or Middlebrooks for a decent OF option to compliment or possibly replace JBJ in CF if he struggles next year. Trading Carp makes more sense in this scenario, since Middy could play  3B or 3B in case of injury, but if Gomes (and dempster) are traded not Peavy, then Carp could be utilized more in LF.

As for Brentz, I know this team has not had man big power bats come up through our system in recent years, but that should lead us to the tendency to get all gushy over the few that put up big numbers in the minors or in short MLB stints. History is littered with minor league power giants who never amount to squat in the bigs.

Here are all the Sox prospects with big HR per AB ratios since 2007 (20+ HRs or an awesome ratio):

2007: Aaron Bates 28 HRs/464ABs, Bubba Bell 26/469, Jon Still 25/440, Brad Correll 23/250 (Wow! what a ratio!), Z Daeges 21/515, S White 21/465, Reddick 18/370

2008: Van Every 26/380, J Bailey 25/418, C Carter 24/470, Reddick 23/482, Still 22/456, Kottaras 22/395, L Exposito 21/417, J Stanley 18/308

2009: Lavarnway 21/404

2010: Rizzo 25/531,, Spears 20/514,  Reddick 18/451, R Rodriguez 14/278

2011: Lava 32/435, Brentz 30/458, Middy 23/439, M Head 22/495, Chang 18/321, Vazquez 18/392, Jacobs 17/442, Bogey 16/265, Reddick 14/191

2012: M Gomez 24/387, Bogey 20/475, de la Cruz 20/499, T Shaw 19/462, Hazelbaker 19/466, Brentz 17/463, Linares 16/413, R Rodriguez 16/370

2013: D Chester 19/432, Brentz 19/343, Coyle 16/240, Butler 14/282

Yes, there are a few on this list that may end up with decent MLB careers, but a pretty big majority will not. I'm not saying the odds doom Brentz or Middy, but I think some of us may be relying too much on hope than probability. (No disrespect intended)

I dont think we are gushing or relying on them. We are just being realistic with their power potential as well as they have shown success at every level. Just a little more time is what some of us would like to see and not give up as easily as some here have.

To say they can not imporve is ridiculous.(not that you have said this, but others) Nava has improved greatly since coming to Boston and hes 30yo. It might take Middy or Brentz until they are 25-26 to come into their own. maybe they will and maybe they wont, but I just wouldnt let either go right now.

Of course if they were overwhelmed in a trade then of course. They dont HAVE to trade either one, so why do it. Lets give them a little more time. the reward could be great.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

What happens with Drew is crucial to Middlebrooks because Bogie is not going back down, and has to play every day.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sure, that works, Southpaw. I get in tomorrow morning.  

[/QUOTE]

PM's arent working here for some reason. let me try another way.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to charliedarling's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A Middlebrooks resurgence, or in other words better plate discipline is a lot to hope for.  Salty finally did it but a (one year) small sample doesn't mean much.  At this point I would certainly entertain moving him for a better centerpiece.

[/QUOTE]

I have never been high on either Middlebrooks or Brentz for reasons solely related to plate discipline.   Raw power is a great commodity, but it is completely comprimised if you don't know when to use it.  Dave Kingman.  Rob Deer.  The list of undisciplined power hittrrs is long and unimpressive.

I also think fans sell Morrison short.  He does have eexcellent plate discipline.  His OF defense and the signing of Napoli both should preclude a deal, however, unless other significant pieces are involved.

As it stands now, Middlebrooks is unlikely to move barring a ridiculous return.  Lets hope he improves, althoughi don't have as much faith as some.

Sections
Shortcuts