Middlebrooks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Middlebrooks

Maybe including him in on the Justin Upton deal might have been worthwhile...

Undecided

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

NO and I bet all of you forget that Dustin hit 182 his first full month in 2007. They stayed with him and now they have a leader just as Middlebrooks will be.
    You folks need to start remembering histoy BTW you should also remember that Middlebrooks has come with more potential that they thought DP had.

Stop shipping guys out before they are given a chance we know he can play and hit.

Their minor league stats highlight the stark differences between Dustin Pedroia and Will Middlebrooks:

DP 1223 PA, .307/.392/.452/.844, 126 BB, 77 K

WM 1706 PA, .276/.333/.454/.787, 128 BB, 449 K

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

God, give the guy a break.  We're WINNING...

He'll get hot and someone else will cool off.  It's the way it works.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Undecided

Said this several times.

I would have dealt Middlebrooks for Upton, and then undone the move just so i could do it again.  I have never had much faith in his overly aggressive approach to hitting.

I thonk of him as a placeholder for Bogaerts, and then as trade bait...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

ZIPS projects a .245/.281/.429/.710 line for Will Middlebrooks in 445 plate appearances the remainder of the season while Steamer projects a .262/.306/.460/.766 line in 421 plate appearances.

Middlebrooks is doing his best Alex Liddi impersonation, but he could turn it around.

As an aside, Middlebrooks' UZR/150 numbers dropped significantly in recent weeks. I don't get to watch the games, but to the naked eye has Middlebrooks experienced defensive probems lately?

No, hes looked awesome defensively. Actually, much better than last year. UZR/150 is a complete waste IMO...Stephen Drew is that stats' nightmare. Hes looked great defensively as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Undecided

Said this several times.

I would have dealt Middlebrooks for Upton, and then undone the move just so i could do it again.  I have never had much faith in his overly aggressive approach to hitting.

I thonk of him as a placeholder for Bogaerts, and then as trade bait...

I agree notin, very little plate discipline at the moment for Middy and our only back up is Ciriaco.  This is why I really hoped "despite injuries" we gave Youk another year or two.  Also, as result of signing Drew which I still believe was the right move at the time, Iggy is in limbo and our depth comprimized but at least the team is winning.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Why are we talking about sitting him for a while.  The season just started,   He has been sitting for 3 months

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to ampoule's comment:

God, give the guy a break.  We're WINNING...

He'll get hot and someone else will cool off.  It's the way it works.

+1    :)

The Red Sox are 15-7.  Middlebrooks will be fine.  

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to dmo3of4's comment:

Given his prolonged struggles does anyone feel he would benefit from some time at AAA? He is clearly pressing and has now had 80 ABs, not such a small sample size.  I think this must be considered -- for how long can someone maintain any degree of confidence hitting 160-180?

And how would he be replaced on an interim basis?  Ciriaco certainly has not recaptured last year's magic.

If the Red Sox are in dead last place, of course, the GM will make some roster moves.  For now, there is no one that can take his spot.  There are five guys on the 25 man roster including Bradley and Drew are hitting worst than him.  If he is being sent down to minor league, then Bradley should be there too and Drew should be placed on the waiver.

Boston is right now 15-7, and they are not even too worry at this time of the year.  Wait until June, and if few guys are continuing to struggle, then Ben C is going to shake up the roster a bit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

In response to dmo3of4's comment:

Given his prolonged struggles does anyone feel he would benefit from some time at AAA? He is clearly pressing and has now had 80 ABs, not such a small sample size.  I think this must be considered -- for how long can someone maintain any degree of confidence hitting 160-180?

And how would he be replaced on an interim basis?  Ciriaco certainly has not recaptured last year's magic.

If the Red Sox are in dead last place, of course, the GM will make some roster moves.  For now, there is no one that can take his spot.  There are five guys on the 25 man roster including Bradley and Drew are hitting worst than him.  If he is being sent down to minor league, then Bradley should be there too and Drew should be placed on the waiver.

Boston is right now 15-7, and they are not even too worry at this time of the year.  Wait until June, and if few guys are continuing to struggle, then Ben C is going to shake up the roster a bit.

Bradley is already in Pawtucket.  Not on the 25 man.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/the-official-and-quoti-think-middlebrooks-will-be-a-bust-and-quot-thread/100/6293639

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Too early to put labels on any player. Some are performing well, some over their head, and some not up to their potential. Its only April. WMB will probably have his good share of K's every year. He also has the 30HR potential with a good average. Typical #5 hitter stuff. I think he'll figure it out.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

A discussion at Sons of Sam Horn offers some details:

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/topic/77238-the-will-middlebrooks-thread/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Stephen Drew is that stats' nightmare. Hes looked great defensively as well.

As compared to whom?

Lowrie?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

As compared to whom?

Lowrie?

No errors for Drew yet moon and to his credit he has made some nice plays but it could just be a matter of time if we look back at lifetime stats. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

As compared to whom?

Lowrie?

Good, compared to his UZR/150 numbers (which is a waste of a stat)...Anyone with a good pair of eyes can tell hes looked solid this year defensively. Hes made some great plays with no errors so far. And over his career. I told you before, Ill believe the people who have been around him and have watched him more than some defensive stat.

That stat has as much value as you and mef guessing if Iggy would have got to a ball that Drew didnt and make the play.

I apologize if Im being a little harsh, but I cant stand defensive stats that hurt an otherwise good defensive player. And most defensive stats are very questionable IMO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

ZIPS projects a .245/.281/.429/.710 line for Will Middlebrooks in 445 plate appearances the remainder of the season while Steamer projects a .262/.306/.460/.766 line in 421 plate appearances.

Middlebrooks is doing his best Alex Liddi impersonation, but he could turn it around.

As an aside, Middlebrooks' UZR/150 numbers dropped significantly in recent weeks. I don't get to watch the games, but to the naked eye has Middlebrooks experienced defensive probems lately?

No, hes looked awesome defensively. Actually, much better than last year. UZR/150 is a complete waste IMO...Stephen Drew is that stats' nightmare. Hes looked great defensively as well.

UZR/150 is about useless over a full season.  I'd guess you'd need 3 seasons to begin to judge a player using UZR.  For 20 games, it's worthless.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

As compared to whom?

Lowrie?

Good, compared to his UZR/150 numbers (which is a waste of a stat)...Anyone with a good pair of eyes can tell hes looked solid this year defensively. Hes made some great plays with no errors so far. And over his career. I told you before, Ill believe the people who have been around him and have watched him more than some defensive stat.

That stat has as much value as you and mef guessing if Iggy would have got to a ball that Drew didnt and make the play.

I apologize if Im being a little harsh, but I cant stand defensive stats that hurt an otherwise good defensive player. And most defensive stats are very questionable IMO.

Is UZR/150 a "waste of a stat" when it shows the Red Sox atop the current UZR/150 team rankings?

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=0&type=1&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=22,d

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Road OPS 2012 plus 2013

WMB  .852

AGon  .755

Montero  .736

Smoak   .734

Youk  .600

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

As compared to whom?

Lowrie?

Is UZR/150 a "waste of a stat" when it shows the Red Sox atop the current UZR/150 team rankings?

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=0&type=1&season=2013&month=0&season1=2013&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=22,d

Might be a little harsh on my part, but I trust my eyes as far as defense than what the stats say. way to many possibilities and intangibles when it comes to defense. I like stats for offense and pitching, but not so much for defense.

Thats good that the sox are atop the UZR/150 charts. But from watching all the games, I could come to that conclusion, as well as see the deficiencies for what they truly are. Just because the Sox are the best according to UZR/150 doesnt mean Im going to start liking the stat.

To each their own I guess. Ill stick with offense and pitching stats.

Sections
Shortcuts