Middlebrooks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Re: Middlebrooks

In response to mryazz's comment:

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Montero could be struggling but his BA at the ML level is close to 100 pts higher than Lavarnways ML BA while with the Sox.

Montero with more at bats at MLB level and again he is two years younger than Lavarnway who is still at AAA.

To make a fair comparison between the two when Lavarnway was Montero's current age he was only at "A" ball.

I do not think you can compare Lavarnway's ML average to anyone until he is given a fair chance to play regularly-at least 250 PAs, preferably in a single season. It is a fact that Montero has not lived up to his hype at the ML level given his performance at the minor league level. Whether he can turn it around is not clear yet, and which of the two players will turn out to be the better player is anyone's guess. The age difference, while not insignificant, does not affect the overall statistics, only the potential for further improvement by the player. What is fair to say is that based on the stats at AAA ball, Lavarnway slightly outperformed Montero and deserves a chance to prove himself at the major league level.

Lavarnway hit a lofty .157 at the MLB level and why he is at AAA.

If you want to believe he is better than a player who is 2 years younger than he and has a career BA 100 pts higher at the ML level by all means don't let me stand in the way.

But don't hold your breath waiting for me to say that Lavarnway is a better prospect than Montero.

do the world a favor and please don't breathe for 5 minutes.

A dark day for mankind if your humorless demented brain reflected world opinion.

i believe that one suggestion reflects a lot of posters' opinion concerning you.

I see you apologized for your ignorance on the trivia thread, and wondered why start now?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Montero could be struggling but his BA at the ML level is close to 100 pts higher than Lavarnways ML BA while with the Sox.

Montero with more at bats at MLB level and again he is two years younger than Lavarnway who is still at AAA.

To make a fair comparison between the two when Lavarnway was Montero's current age he was only at "A" ball.

I do not think you can compare Lavarnway's ML average to anyone until he is given a fair chance to play regularly-at least 250 PAs, preferably in a single season. It is a fact that Montero has not lived up to his hype at the ML level given his performance at the minor league level. Whether he can turn it around is not clear yet, and which of the two players will turn out to be the better player is anyone's guess. The age difference, while not insignificant, does not affect the overall statistics, only the potential for further improvement by the player. What is fair to say is that based on the stats at AAA ball, Lavarnway slightly outperformed Montero and deserves a chance to prove himself at the major league level.

Lavarnway hit a lofty .157 at the MLB level and why he is at AAA.

If you want to believe he is better than a player who is 2 years younger than he and has a career BA 100 pts higher at the ML level by all means don't let me stand in the way.

But don't hold your breath waiting for me to say that Lavarnway is a better prospect than Montero.

do the world a favor and please don't breathe for 5 minutes.

A dark day for mankind if your humorless demented brain reflected world opinion.

i believe that one suggestion reflects a lot of posters' opinion concerning you.

A few posters is a few less the 7 billion world population.

But you usually do type faster than you think.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'd trade Lava for Montero in a heartbeat.

why moon

cause he's younger ;-)

"cause he's younger"

LOL.

To date that's the only thing twm has said about Montero that is correct.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

why moon

cause he's younger ;-)

"cause he's younger"

LOL.

stalker

Fake Halo Vet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Montero benched again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

why moon

cause he's younger ;-)

"cause he's younger"

LOL.

stalker

Fake Halo Vet.

Fake argument from fake aristocrat.

Or fake Gilligan, take your pick.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Montero benched again.

One major difference between Montero and Lavarnway is that Montero has been given a fair chance at the ML level and failed (so far); Lavarnway hasn't even been given that chance. Thats why I would prefer Lavarnway on my team- rather than a proven failure I would take a guy who is an unknown.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Montero benched again.

One major difference between Montero and Lavarnway is that Montero has been given a fair chance at the ML level and failed (so far); Lavarnway hasn't even been given that chance. Thats why I would prefer Lavarnway on my team- rather than a proven failure I would take a guy who is an unknown.

I'm not sure I'd call a .260 BA and 15 HRs playing with big park Seattle a "failure".

He has a .703 career MLB OPS at age 23.

MLB catcher OPS the last 3 years:

2011: .704

2012: .717

2013: .732

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Montero benched again.

No question about that. Lavarnway may or may not pan out. That is tbd. What we do know is Montero not only hasn't lived up to the hype he has raised questions about the one thing he was supposed to be able to do. That is hit. Nobody ever hyped his defensive ability for good reason. Seattle now plays him every other game and bats him 8th. in a weak lineup. Must be a ny thing.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Montero benched again.

No question about that. Lavarnway may or may not pan out. That is tbd. What we do know is Montero not only hasn't lived up to the hype he has raised questions about the one thing he was supposed to be able to do. That is hit. Nobody ever hyped his defensive ability for good reason. Seattle now plays him every other game and bats him 8th. in a weak lineup. Must be a ny thing.

I respect Moon as one of the more astute and non biased posters here.

I find it funny you ignored his post and take on the situation.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

why moon

cause he's younger ;-)

"cause he's younger"

LOL.

stalker

Fake Halo Vet.

Fake argument from fake aristocrat.

Or fake Gilligan, take your pick.

I think you know better.

Funny coming from a housing project prodigy.

Know nothing of the kind.

All I know about you is the image you try to project.

I don't come here to flaunt my wealth.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Montero benched again.

I'm not sure I'd call a .260 BA and 15 HRs playing with big park Seattle a "failure".

Montero's OPS of .703 is below the average OPS you provided every single year. I would not call him a smashing success. He is a defensive liability and apparently, at least so far, a below average hitter. He MIGHT turn it around, he might not. Baseball is littered with guys with potential. Lavarnway outperformed him at the AAA level by about 50 OPS points. I think its fair to say that Lavarnway has at least as much of a chance of achieving success at the ML level as Montero; I think he has a greater chance since Montero has been given his shot and, to date, failed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Montero benched again.

Seattle handed the starting catchers job to Montero this spring. In less than a month he has been dropped to 8th. in the batting order and sits every other game. Four extra base hits all season and hitting just 200.

For a prospect many thought was at the very least capable of hitting Montero has failed.

Say what you want about the yankees front office but they clearly saw his expectations were on a downward spiral which is why they cut bait with him.

Catchers in this game are in some respects more valuable than starting pitchers.

Teams don't give up on them without good cause.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

if you want to send WM down, does that mean you want to drop SDrew into the middle of the Atlantic?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

WMB is going through what a lot of 1st full year 24 yr old players do. He'll make the adjustments needed, but they arent going to happen overnight. Some fans need to have some more patience with young players. Funny that some of the same fans that wanted to play all the young kids are impatient with Will.. News flash: this is what young kids go through, thats why you try not to field a full team of them at one time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmo3of4. Show dmo3of4's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

WMB is going through what a lot of 1st full year 24 yr old players do. He'll make the adjustments needed, but they arent going to happen overnight. Some fans need to have some more patience with young players. Funny that some of the same fans that wanted to play all the young kids are impatient with Will.. News flash: this is what young kids go through, thats why you try not to field a full team of them at one time.

true- I agree, but the Sox are thinking of it.  Brandon Snyder was just moved to 3rd base at Pawtucket last week- not a coincidence

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to dmo3of4's comment:

true- I agree, but the Sox are thinking of it.  Brandon Snyder was just moved to 3rd base at Pawtucket last week- not a coincidence

Maybe. If he doesnt come around they might let him go to AAA and work it out. Which makes my point that much more revelant to all the fans calling to play all the kids.

This game isnt easy. Its a game of adjustments and WMB has adjusted at every level, some not as quickly as others. I think he will be fine.

Snyder has got the attention of a few teams and they may have put him at 3b to up his value even more. That, and Drew Sutton isnt exactly a great full time ball player anywhere. All those options are possible.

One things for sure though. WMB needs to start making the adjustments, because when June comes around they arent going to be much more patient with him IMO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Remember softy bashing Hill for daring to even suggest that WMB may need some time in AAA this year?

I'm not for sending him down, but the idea is not so far-fetched anymore.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to dmo3of4's comment:

Maybe. If he doesnt come around they might let him go to AAA and work it out. Which makes my point that much more revelant to all the fans calling to play all the kids.

This game isnt easy. Its a game of adjustments and WMB has adjusted at every level, some not as quickly as others. I think he will be fine.

Snyder has got the attention of a few teams and they may have put him at 3b to up his value even more. That, and Drew Sutton isnt exactly a great full time ball player anywhere. All those options are possible.

One things for sure though. WMB needs to start making the adjustments, because when June comes around they arent going to be much more patient with him IMO.

Right now I do not see any good alternatives to WMB. And I am not at all convinced that he can turn it around-its 50-50 IMO. He looks lost at the plate and has for a long time. Hopefully the FO is beginning to think about acquiring another option.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Remember softy bashing Hill for daring to even suggest that WMB may need some time in AAA this year?

I'm not for sending him down, but the idea is not so far-fetched anymore.

In December, Softlaw started a separate thread after I wrote: "I hope Middlebrooks performs well in 2013, but I would not be surprised if he spends some time in Pawtucket."

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/hills-crystal-ball-middlebrooks-to-need-more-time-in-aaa-in-2013/100/6461256

I hope Will Middlebrooks works things out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

if you want to send WM down, does that mean you want to drop SDrew into the middle of the Atlantic?

Small sample size. but since April 22:

Drew .276 / .371 / .519 / .890 with 1HR and 8RBI

Middlebrooks: .220 / .289 / .415 with 2HR and 5RBI

Middlebrooks is young, but his career 26% K rate show little sign of moving.  This would be acceptable if he were drawing walks more than 4% of the time, a number which also shows little sign of improving.

But fans will always like Middlebroks because he is young and homegrown, and fans will always dislike Drew because of his older brother (who was actually good, but never appreciated)...

Sections
Shortcuts