MIGGY gives the ultimate hometown DISCOUNT... u still think PAPI was unreasonable?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: MIGGY gives the ultimate hometown DISCOUNT... u still think PAPI was unreasonable?

Think of all the injuries to come if he's getting a little help with his outrageous numbers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: MIGGY gives the ultimate hometown DISCOUNT... u still think PAPI was unreasonable?

In response to ImagydSportsBos' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Commie is the only person in the western hemisphere I have found outside of Miggy's family who thinks this is a good or smart contract.

[/QUOTE]

spankee, here's how it works. first of, he has 2 years left n his current deal. assume he has another typical monster here. he's now 32 with one year left. y take this deal at that point? may as well go all schwerzer and see what the market may bring. or at least he could, more cards. this deal is basically an 8 year EXTENSION. YOU TELLLING ME WITH MIGGS AS A TOTAL free agent in the cash rich MLB of tomorrow, noone would top the tiggies' offer? you folks are naive, like with papi. last year texas was willing to go 20m for a year. u dont get the econ for ur too clase to the situation. all it takes is ONE nutty suitor, tiggies couldnt risk it. its a discount for they came to him and he let loyalty and stability take over his thought process rather than pure greed...

[/QUOTE]

Who made the right move on Albert Pujols - the Cardinals or the Angels?

The Cardinals, don't you think?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to soups' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10684892/miguel-cabrera-detroit-tigers-agree-10-year-deal-worth-almost-300-million

wow! poor schwerzer.. one injury and likely subpar season and he'll never see that 144m gift he turned down. miggs at least isnt delusional and was like let me get this straight y'all.. u jabros wanna extend me with no threat of walkin like that ortiz guy when i have TWO years left on my deal and coming off a subpar playoff due to lingering late season injuries for the second year in a row as i am about to hit age 32 for 8 additional years? oh really... bet he considered firing his agent right there and then too say HECKs YEAHHH!

instead in less than a day of "negotiation", he promised to not push the 300m threshold like greedy a-roids.. instead 10 years for only 292m.. plus he politley requested and got 2 additional club options for 30m each at age 42 in another win-win.. likely learned that from papi.. shocking they didnt do a vesting thing. bottom line this is what henry should have done voluntarily with papi. this is called taking care of ur boys. ditto with lester. if greedy, could wait for free agency and get grienke $ no prob.. talking SEVEN years and 190m, rather than the likely 6 year and 125m discount he'll get.. schwerzer is a total yankee mercenary jabro type.

give miggy, papi and lester credit for being classic gentleman in this here age of me and GREED! SOX SHOULD EMULATE THE tiggies more though in select cases.

[/QUOTE]

$30 million per year, for 10 years.

Not a discount.  Not even close.

[/QUOTE] hey soups!!..how are ya bud?...hope all is well

[/QUOTE]

Hey Jete!  How you been?  Good luck to those dreaded Yanks this season!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Commie is the only person in the western hemisphere I have found outside of Miggy's family who thinks this is a good or smart contract.

Absolutely!
    spankee, here's how it works. first of, he has 2 years left n his current deal. assume he has another typical monster here. he's now 32 with one year left. y take this deal at that point? may as well go all schwerzer and see what the market may bring. or at least he could, more cards. this deal is basically an 8 year EXTENSION. YOU TELLLING ME WITH MIGGS AS A TOTAL free agent in the cash rich MLB of tomorrow, noone would top the tiggies' offer? you folks are naive, like with papi. last year texas was willing to go 20m for a year. u dont get the econ for ur too clase to the situation. all it takes is ONE nutty suitor, tiggies couldnt risk it. its a discount for they came to him and he let loyalty and stability take over his thought process rather than pure greed...

[/QUOTE]

Who made the right move on Albert Pujols - the Cardinals or the Angels?

The Cardinals, don't you think?

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

There is no sense in tying up a slugger type for ten years after age 30. Stanton yes, Miggy no. The last jabro they signed like that had to be traded (Fielder). Takin care of your boys is why the Phils are in trouble...

No way you can compare Miggy to Fielder.  Fielder is about as good as Napoli.  Miggy is the 2nd best player in BB.  Fielder isn't even the 2nd best 1B in the AL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

[QUOTE]

Welcome to the club Miggy!!!   Laughing

-Cano

-Pujols

-A-Rod

[/QUOTE]

1 difference is he wasn't  even able to negotiate  as a FA

another is (sadly) this might be the 1st time an owner  said

ok what do I care how long of a contract

I wont B here in 10  yrs

a new meaning 2 the term

'lifetime contract'

[/QUOTE]

That only matters if you have unlimited money.  Detroit doesn't.  They signed Miggy after they couldn't sign Scherzer.  If all they wanted to do was to buy a WS, they could spend $250M for a long time before the owner ran out of money.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's fine.  I estimate an overpay of ~ $19-22M.  Guys like Fielder, Pujols, and ARod were overpaid by somewhere between $75-100M.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Given the track record of these obscene megadeals, couldn't help but laugh out loud at the  Detroit Tigers.  Wait, wasn't Miguel hurt at crunch time just last season?  Holy Incredible Stupidity, Batman!  When they can command those types of salaries, get a clue: watch them walk, and play a young guy.  The Yankees or Dodgers will give them the big bucks in perpetuity to ride the DL, so why should you?

[/QUOTE]

That's true. He was hurt at crunch time. Not that the contract makes any sense anyway.

[/QUOTE]

He's averaged 157 games.  You can't expect a perfect record.  Vic, Ells, Pedey, and Buch were all nicked up for us at the end.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I come up with 241.7 million for 8 years starting in two years based on the WAR-$ formula. So less then a million a year over pay. The problem with the deal is the length and danger that comes with length. I would not have made this offer. I would have waited a year. Then maybe offered 7-210 if he repeated his last few years of performance. If he doesn't take it, trade him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's fine.  I estimate an overpay of ~ $19-22M.  Guys like Fielder, Pujols, and ARod were overpaid by somewhere between $75-100M.

[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised you calculate that much difference between this contract and Pujols's.  I would think Miggy's regression will be similar to Pujols's.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised you calculate that much difference between this contract and Pujols's.  I would think Miggy's regression will be similar to Pujols's.

[/QUOTE]

1-Pujols was already on a downhill slide, but DiPoto didn't notice.  Both OPS and K/W declined 3 straight years, and that's rarer than most people realize.

2-When he left StL, he had already was down to .906.  Miggy is still at 1.078, and 2013 was arguably his best season.  Pujols WAR was 4.4 his last year with the Cards.  Miggy was at 7.6 last year.  I didn't do my analysis on those two numbers, but had I done so, that's $20M right there.

3-The The last issue is that Pujols goes one year older.  A $24M contract at age 41 is probably worth $5M.  That's a big number when you start adding it to all the other negatives.

To be honest, I was very conservative when I calculated the $75M loss.  That assumed a healthy bouncback from his .906 season.  Had I started with .906 and/or 4.4 WAR, the loss would've been well over $100M.

What the heck, they only have 8 more years to go on that albatross.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to soxnewmex's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Given the track record of these obscene megadeals, couldn't help but laugh out loud at the  Detroit Tigers.  Wait, wasn't Miguel hurt at crunch time just last season?  Holy Incredible Stupidity, Batman!  When they can command those types of salaries, get a clue: watch them walk, and play a young guy.  The Yankees or Dodgers will give them the big bucks in perpetuity to ride the DL, so why should you?

[/QUOTE]

That's true. He was hurt at crunch time. Not that the contract makes any sense anyway.

[/QUOTE]

He's averaged 157 games.  You can't expect a perfect record.  Vic, Ells, Pedey, and Buch were all nicked up for us at the end.

[/QUOTE]

True, but they were not making Miggy money either. That's the downfall of putting so much money into one player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

[QUOTE]

Welcome to the club Miggy!!!   Laughing

-Cano

-Pujols

-A-Rod

1 difference is he wasn't  even able to negotiate  as a FA

another is (sadly) this might be the 1st time an owner  said

ok what do I care how long of a contract

I wont B here in 10  yrs

a new meaning 2 the term

'lifetime contract'

[/QUOTE]

That only matters if you have unlimited money.  Detroit doesn't.  They signed Miggy after they couldn't sign Scherzer.  If all they wanted to do was to buy a WS, they could spend $250M for a long time before the owner ran out of money.

[/QUOTE]

MLB Network Radio ‏@MLBNetworkRadio 31m

Dombrowski says they could've signed both Cabrera & Scherzer "We had both negotiations going simultaneously. We were trying to sign both"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1-Pujols was already on a downhill slide, but DiPoto didn't notice.  Both OPS and K/W declined 3 straight years, and that's rarer than most people realize.

2-When he left StL, he had already was down to .906.  Miggy is still at 1.078, and 2013 was arguably his best season.  Pujols WAR was 4.4 his last year with the Cards.  Miggy was at 7.6 last year.  I didn't do my analysis on those two numbers, but had I done so, that's $20M right there.

3-The The last issue is that Pujols goes one year older.  A $24M contract at age 41 is probably worth $5M.  That's a big number when you start adding it to all the other negatives.

To be honest, I was very conservative when I calculated the $75M loss.  That assumed a healthy bouncback from his .906 season.  Had I started with .906 and/or 4.4 WAR, the loss would've been well over $100M.

What the heck, they only have 8 more years to go on that albatross.

[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that player salary inflation is actually increasing.  I'm sure it will slow down or platue at some point but there is still a ton of money that has been pumped into baseball that has not yet gone to the players.  Revenues over the last 10 years have risen faster than player salaries belive it or not.  Pujols could very well level off, and in 7-8 years from now teams might be spending 7-10 million per WAR.

I still think it's a bad contract, but it might not be as catastrophic as some think.