Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed?

In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed?:
    In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : Joe, Lincecum is only signed through next year, so he won't affect a team trying to get under the cap when the new rules take place in 2014.  3 of his last 4 starts have been very good.  I would be very surprised if a team didn't take a shot on him if he was put on waivers, even with the big number for next year. 
    Posted by jasko2248

Not impossible, but $22M is a pretty big nut for anyone.

Oddly enough, over the past two seasons-

Beckett   18-16, 3.49 ERA 3.12 K/W 1.115 Whip
    Lincecum 18-25, 3.78 ERA 2.49 K/W  1.308 Whip

Basically, Beckett has been much better than Lincecum over the past two years.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to "Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed?":
    In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : Not impossible, but $22M is a pretty big nut for anyone. Oddly enough, over the past two seasons- Beckett   18-16, 3.49 ERA 3.12 K/W 1.115 Whip Lincecum 18-25, 3.78 ERA 2.49 K/W  1.308 Whip Basically, Beckett has been much better than Lincecum over the past two years. Posted by Joebreidey
    Not really a fair comparison. It includes beckett's best year and linecum's worst year. Linecum's has 3 seasons with an era under 3. Beckett has 1. Of course, the AL vs NL has some impact on the era,but linecum has been more consistent until this year. I bet linecum has been dealing with an injury. I would trade Beckett for linecum straight up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxforlife22. Show soxforlife22's posts

A deal of CC and Beckett for Johan Santana and Jason Bay would be a possible waiver deal or offseason deal. That being said, even though all four players will be put on waivers and will make it through waivers, no such deal will likely ever happen. Deals where teams swap as many bad contracts as this almost never happen. It might be nice if this did happen though because we would get rid of Beckett and CC while gaining a solid (also mightily overpayed and injury prone) starting pitcher and an outfielder that had success with the Red Sox earlier in his career

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed?:
    In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : I seriously doubt anyone would claim Lincecum.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Of course Lincecum would be claimed.  Many teams would happily pay his 22 million next year.   Tim has been a lot better his last few starts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Nope, wrong again.  I said he would not be traded before they opened the new park, and I was correct... Nope, wrong again. You said he would not be traded because they needed him to open the new ballpark. They tried to trade him in the winter, before the new park was open, then gave him away a few days ago. Needless to say, they didn't need him to open the new ballpark or they wouldn't have tried to trade him and then gave up and gave him away during the first season of the new ballpark. I remember how you cried at the thought that the Marlins wanted to trade the guy.
    Posted by TrotterNixon

You just made his piont for him...nice job...It doesnt matter that they "tried" to trade him as you say...The point is they didnt...Your trying to spin this in your favor and its not going to work, because god forbid your wrong...Your obvious leading character flaw...
    He said he wouldnt be traded before they move into the new ballpark, and he wasnt...end of story...thanks for playing...
    You may respond to me now, but dont expect another in return...I rest my case...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

andrew what do you mean let him go for the $$ relief (a la ARios). I thought a deal was worked out for Rios and the WSox took on his salary--is that not correct?

If you mean would they let Beckett go and pay the money owed to him without something in return??? That's a tough question. After the fans showed how they felt about him Tuesday and the talk shows have been all over him--I would say it's entirely possibly,  yes, that JH might just do it--he might just let him go for $0 to the first team that claims him to make a statement to the players and the fans.

It's also possible they DL him and send him back to Texas---not remain on the bench the rest of the season to question every move that's made.

Realistically, I think someone will claim him and work out perhaps 3 PTBNL's. depending the amount of cash the Sox will include.

When the guy wants to show what he has--see the first two innings agaist the Tigers--honestly when he got two outs in the third and the rains came--gave up a run , saw Fielder on deck, pitching surface was deteriorating---knew it could get out of hand--back spasm.

That's not being fair and I don't think he thought Boston fans would boo him.

In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : Question: if you put Beckett on waivers, and he is claimed, do you let him go for the $$ relief (a la Alex Rios)?
    Posted by Drewski5

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I am shocked no one commented on CC's moon shot last night into the Sox bullpen? The guy is a strong dude. That was a one handed shot.
    His HR at the Stadium wasn't a cheap shot either. 2 dingers in 14 games. BA is only .240--12 hits and 10 runs scored in 14 games--baby steps need to become giant steps soon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

In response to "Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed?":
    In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : Question: if you put Beckett on waivers, and he is claimed, do you let him go for the $$ relief (a la Alex Rios)? Posted by Drewski5
    Yes. Absolutely.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No player now will be put on a playoff roster.  Even if the reality is slim this team makes the playoffs a rival is sure to block any type of significant move. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

Most playoff "rivals" have better records than us, so they can not "block" anything we try to do.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

andrew what do you mean let him go for the $$ relief (a la ARios). I thought a deal was worked out for Rios and the WSox took on his salary--is that not correct? If you mean would they let Beckett go and pay the money owed to him without something in return??? That's a tough question. After the fans showed how they felt about him Tuesday and the talk shows have been all over him--I would say it's entirely possibly,  yes, that JH might just do it--he might just let him go for $0 to the first team that claims him to make a statement to the players and the fans. It's also possible they DL him and send him back to Texas---not remain on the bench the rest of the season to question every move that's made. Realistically, I think someone will claim him and work out perhaps 3 PTBNL's. depending the amount of cash the Sox will include. When the guy wants to show what he has--see the first two innings agaist the Tigers--honestly when he got two outs in the third and the rains came--gave up a run , saw Fielder on deck, pitching surface was deteriorating---knew it could get out of hand--back spas m . That's not being fair and I don't think he thought Boston fans would boo him. In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? :
    Posted by MadMc44

yes, Rios was just picked up....but I doubt anyone would do that for Beckett

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The other great rivalry fighting it out in the NL West might be willing to take Beckett for most of the  remainder. If his next outing is longer than Tuesdays
    and equally dominant say for 7 innings rather than two it might be a go.

Perhaps the Nationals---things are tightening up a bit in the NL East.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The other great rivalry fighting it out in the NL West might be willing to take Beckett for most of the  remainder. If his next outing is longer than Tuesdays and equally dominant say for 7 innings rather than two it might be a go. Perhaps the Nationals---things are tightening up a bit in the NL East.
    Posted by MadMc44

that's the hope - there will be a team desperate enough to make the playoffs - a team like Washington who essentially has never tasted post seaon before plus Straus will not be available.......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

NO MLB team would claim Josh Beckett.

If some foolish team actually claimed him (even the Yankees), the Sox would do a jig and let him go.  No deal would be worked out, the Sox would sign the papers ASAP to let him go.  And Ben C would be given an extension.

This is fantasy land, though, as no one would take on his nearly $40 million tab through 2014.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Well, Cliff Lee is on waivers.....If the Sox can claim him then could the Crawford deal really happen?

Crawford, $20 Million, and Iglessias for Cliff Lee..........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Well, Cliff Lee is on waivers.....If the Sox can claim him then could the Crawford deal really happen? Crawford, $20 Million, and Iglessias for Cliff Lee..........
    Posted by andrewmitch

I'd be pretty shocked if someone claimed Lee.  His contract is ridiculous.  If someone is crazy enough to do it, the Phillies may very well let him go. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : I'd be pretty shocked if someone claimed Lee.  His contract is ridiculous.  If someone is crazy enough to do it, the Phillies may very well let him go. 
    Posted by jasko2248

There would a few teams that would do it.  The issue is are those teams going to be able to put in a claim and can a subsequent deal be worked out (assuming the Phillies may not just let him go for nothing and that team that claims him may not want to assume his entire salary).........being in the cellar helps the Sox this time - they need to take advantage of it.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : There would a few teams that would do it.  The issue is are those teams going to be able to put in a claim and can a subsequent deal be worked out (assuming the Phillies may not just let him go for nothing and that team that claims him may not want to assume his entire salary).........being in the cellar helps the Sox this time - they need to take advantage of it.....
    Posted by andrewmitch

I seriously doubt a team will claim him.  He's going to be 34 this month, he has 3 more years left at 25 million+ per and he's been very hittable this year.  The Phillies would likely let him walk if someone claims him. The only team who might be crazy enough to do it might be the Dodgers at this point.  Forget Boston or New York even considering it. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : I seriously doubt a team will claim him.  He's going to be 34 this month, he has 3 more years left at 25 million+ per and he's been very hittable this year.  The Phillies would likely let him walk if someone claims him. The only team who might be crazy enough to do it might be the Dodgers at this point.  Forget Boston or New York even considering it. 
    Posted by jasko2248

His WHIP is like 1.1

his BA against is 260 - not bad, not great

He has given up more HR's this year....so is that a fluke or is there a bad reason for it that will continue?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : His WHIP is like 1.1 his BA against is 260 - not bad, not great He has given up more HR's this year....so is that a fluke or is there a bad reason for it that will continue?
    Posted by andrewmitch

Not sure, but his age combined with his contract makes him a huge risk.  He's allowing a hit per inning this year (so is Beckett), which is concerning as well.  If the Phils took the Crawford deal, I'd take the Lee dealin a minute, but I'm not even sure if the Sox are on Lee's no trade list or not.  I had heard a while back that he wasn't enamored about playing in Boston. I guess we'll see...

Sections
Shortcuts