Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed?

The Post Trade Deadline is upon us  through August 31. 

Do you see the Sox making moves if they continue playing .667 ball between now and Aug. 31?

Players that might be put on Waivers by the Sox...

Players you think other teams might put on Waivers...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed?

In Response to Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed?:
    [QUOTE]The Post Trade Deadline is upon us  through August 31.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_transactions Do you see the Sox making moves if they continue playing .667 ball between now and Aug. 31? Players that might be put on Waivers by the Sox... Players you think other teams might put on Waivers...
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]
    The Red Sox are 5-5 over their last 10 games (and 53-51 for the season).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : The Red Sox are 5-5 over their last 10 games (and 53-51 for the season).
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Boston wouldnt make any move if they are playing .667 ball at the same time the team stay healthy.

For other teams that could put on the waiver are the ones who will be a free agent after this season at the same time he isnt a type A free agent.  These other teams isnt going to put their own player on the waiver if his contract run beyond toward to next season like Soriano, Garza, etc.  They rather to keep him and try to trade him during off season.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

No player now will be put on a playoff roster.  Even if the reality is slim this team makes the playoffs a rival is sure to block any type of significant move. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed?": [QUOTE]The Post Trade Deadline is upon us  through August 31.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_transactions Do you see the Sox making moves if they continue playing .667 ball between now and Aug. 31? Players that might be put on Waivers by the Sox... Players you think other teams might put on Waivers... Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE] Plenty of teams will put players on waivers, including the Sox, who will likely put Beckett and Crawford out there. Soriano is an obvious guy. Cliff Lee is a possibility, as his contract is brutally backloaded. Heath Bell will definitely be put through.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed?": [QUOTE]No player now will be put on a playoff roster.  Even if the reality is slim this team makes the playoffs a rival is sure to block any type of significant move.  Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE] Actually, 8/31 is deadline for playoff roster. Alot of the big contracts will get through for sure.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

1. Sox carries momentum through Aug. 31 and lead the WC.
    -I don't see big changes if Sox lead the WC race.  It means Sox are playing good baseball if we are holding the WC race lead by Aug. 31.  Small changes coould be made if injuries occur. 
    Possible move: Solid BP arm, back-end rotation if injuries happen

2. Sox maintain close hope for winning the 2nd WC.
    - Bigger moves could be made and I won't be surprised to see Big Ben going after an elite Ace if there is one available.  (Josh Johnson, Cliff Lee, Lincecum, or even Felix), Impact batter or batters could be acquired as well.
    Possible move: Josh Johnson, Garza, Lincecum, Justin Upton, Starlin Castro if they become available

3.  Sox fall out of contention.
    - No doubt Sox will be the seller at the month end.  likely put big names on waiver and see if contenders willing to give up top prospects.  Players acquired before Aug. 31 are eligible to play in the playoff for their new teams.  Even if we put big names on the waiver, players put on the waiver doesn't have to be traded if Sox don't like what they are getting in return.
    Possible move: Beckett, Lester, Ells, Ross, Buch,etc (almost everyone will be put on the waiver)

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed?:
    [QUOTE]1. Sox carries momentum through Aug. 31 and lead the WC. -I don't see big changes if Sox lead the WC race.  It means Sox are playing good baseball if we are holding the WC race lead by Aug. 31.  Small changes coould be made if injuries occur.  Possible move: Solid BP arm, back-end rotation if injuries happen 2. Sox maintain close hope for winning the 2nd WC. - Bigger moves could be made and I won't be surprised to see Big Ben going after an elite Ace if there is one available.  (Josh Johnson, Cliff Lee, Lincecum, or even Felix), Impact batter or batters could be acquired as well. Possible move: Josh Johnson, Garza, Lincecum, Justin Upton, Starlin Castro if they become available 3.  Sox fall out of contention. - No doubt Sox will be the seller at the month end.  likely put big names on waiver and see if contenders willing to give up top prospects.  Players acquired before Aug. 31 are eligible to play in the playoff for their new teams.  Even if we put big names on the waiver, players put on the waiver doesn't have to be traded if Sox don't like what they are getting in return. Possible move: Beckett, Lester, Ells, Ross, Buch,etc (almost everyone will be put on the waiver)
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

Seannyboi, There is no chance guys like Johnson, Garza, Lincecum, Upton, or Castro ever get through waivers.  Cliff Lee is only possibility since is contract is is so backloaded. Bucholz, Ellsbury, Ross & Lester would never pass through either. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]Jasko, oh well, Hanley was traded, despite your claims that he was being kept for his entire contract because of the new ballpark. Wrong again.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

Nope, wrong again.  I said he would not be traded before they opened the new park, and I was correct...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Actually, you'd be surprised at the players who do clear waivers, every year.
    Some teams put their entire roster on waivers, to gage interest for the off season.
    Now, in making a waiver trade, anyone on a team's 40 man roster, who you'd want in return for Beckett et al, would also have to clear waivers.
    Trades can certainly be made, but it's tricky. Plus, any team below you can claim said player, and block a trade.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]Actually, you'd be surprised at the players who do clear waivers, every year. Some teams put their entire roster on waivers, to gage interest for the off season. Now, in making a waiver trade, anyone on a team's 40 man roster, who you'd want in return for Beckett et al, would also have to clear waivers. Trades can certainly be made, but it's tricky. Plus, any team below you can claim said player, and block a trade.
    Posted by rightymclefty[/QUOTE]

Well said, and teams can pull a player back if he is claimed.  They can then negotiate a deal with the team that claimed him through a 48.5 hour window.  If they pull a player back and no deal is made, they can't put that player on waivers for 30 days after and if they do after those 30 days, they can't pull the player back again. 

That said, productive players with reasonable contracts never get through.      

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE] 3.  Sox fall out of contention. - No doubt Sox will be the seller at the month end.  likely put big names on waiver and see if contenders willing to give up top prospects.  Players acquired before Aug. 31 are eligible to play in the playoff for their new teams.  Even if we put big names on the waiver, players put on the waiver doesn't have to be traded if Sox don't like what they are getting in return. Possible move: Beckett, Lester, Ells, Ross, Buch,etc (almost everyone will be put on the waiver)
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

I don't see them as being sellers under any circumstances.  It looks to me like the FO believes in this team individually and collectively and there won't be any impact players moved.  Some may be put on the wire but will be withdrawn if someone shows an interest. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : I don't see them as being sellers under any circumstances.  It looks to me like the FO believes in this team individually and collectively and there won't be any impact players moved.  Some may be put on the wire but will be withdrawn if someone shows an interest. 
    Posted by S5[/QUOTE]

S5, If they tank and are 15 games back 3 weeks from now, they'll sell if they can.  They'll run a bunch of guys through waivers regardless, just to gauge interest.  Beckett would surely be one of them, and it would be interesting to see if they just said, "he's yours" to a team if he was claimed.  Cliff Lee is another guy who could fit that profile because of his remaining contract.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]Actually, you'd be surprised at the players who do clear waivers, every year. Some teams put their entire roster on waivers, to gage interest for the off season. Now, in making a waiver trade, anyone on a team's 40 man roster, who you'd want in return for Beckett et al, would also have to clear waivers. Trades can certainly be made, but it's tricky. Plus, any team below you can claim said player, and block a trade.
    Posted by rightymclefty[/QUOTE]

Question: if you put Beckett on waivers, and he is claimed, do you let him go for the $$ relief (a la Alex Rios)?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : Question: if you put Beckett on waivers, and he is claimed, do you let him go for the $$ relief (a la Alex Rios)?
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

it's a moot question

I've been saying this since April of 2010:

There is not a team in baseball who would pick up Beckett's contract w/o even giving up a player in return......Not a single one.  And if you don't believe me just wait because he will be placed on Waivers....maybe even this week.....(lots of guys will)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

I think Ben is sweating it out, hoping that the Sox aren't in contention. I really don't think he wants to do anything that might put his job at risk. If the Sox fail to make the PS, BV will be blamed, and that would be just fine with Ben.
    Wake up Boston, they detest each other! LL put oil and vinegar together, and then kept most of Francona's staff to make matters worse.
    If the sox make the playoffs. Valentine deserves MOY.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Not one team would pick up Beckett, Cliff Lee, ARod, Zito, and many, many more.  That's why waiver deals get done.  No one picks them up so they MIGHT get dealt with a reciprocal return. 

Ells will go in the off season - count on it. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Not one team would pick up Beckett, Cliff Lee, ARod, Zito, and many, many more.  That's why waiver deals get done.  No one picks them up so they MIGHT get dealt with a reciprocal return.  Ells will go in the off season - count on it. 
    Posted by croc[/QUOTE]

or Crawford, or Lackey or A Gonzalez and in the past, JD Drew......

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]Nope, wrong again.  I said he would not be traded before they opened the new park, and I was correct... Nope, wrong again. You said he would not be traded because they needed him to open the new ballpark. They tried to trade him in the winter, before the new park was open, then gave him away a few days ago. Needless to say, they didn't need him to open the new ballpark or they wouldn't have tried to trade him and then gave up and gave him away during the first season of the new ballpark. I remember how you cried at the thought that the Marlins wanted to trade the guy.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

The only thing I am "wrong" about is engaging you on this board, but what you are referring to happened a few years ago when you were certain that Ramirez was going to be traded sooner rather than later for financial reasons.  You were dead wrong.  I said that they likely wouldn't move him before they opened the new park(which they didn't), and that they would be ADDING payroll, which they clearly did this off-season.  You were wrong about quite a few things back then, and it apparently upset you to the point that you have become what you are now, which I don't think there is even a name for...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I don't understand why people think this team is going to make a move.  We've been waiting since last August for them to make a decent trade and nada.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]I don't understand why people think this team is going to make a move.  We've been waiting since last August for them to make a decent trade and nada.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

I thought they could have done something w/ Crawford.......

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

I think they actually have hope for Crawford. Granted the SOSHy stat pack missed horribly (AGAIN) with his WARP value, but Carl will be a solid overall player when healthy...In the off season, Ells will be part of a package possibly with a pitcher not named Bucholz or Lester.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : it's a moot question I've been saying this since April of 2010: There is not a team in baseball who would pick up Beckett's contract w/o even giving up a player in return......Not a single one.  And if you don't believe me just wait because he will be placed on Waivers....maybe even this week.....(lots of guys will)
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

I would agreed with this had the WHite Sox never claimed Alex Rios.  I know that he's having a resurrgent year; however, at the time, that was pretty laughable.

I was all sorts of confused as to why they did that.  Toronto couldnt believe it either.

Sections
Shortcuts