Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed?

In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : I would agreed with this had the WHite Sox never claimed Alex Rios.  I know that he's having a resurrgent year; however, at the time, that was pretty laughable. I was all sorts of confused as to why they did that.  Toronto couldnt believe it either.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

whoa......Alex Rios never sunk as low as the likes of Crawford nor did he ever make Beckett $, let alone CC $...........and he could play RF and CF - well......plus had more pop than CC........not a fair comparison........You could look at Wells but that required a Trade (Napoli, AS catcher)......so......not proper comps......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : I would agreed with this had the WHite Sox never claimed Alex Rios.  I know that he's having a resurrgent year; however, at the time, that was pretty laughable. I was all sorts of confused as to why they did that.  Toronto couldnt believe it either.

White Sox GM Kenny Williams definitely has some brass rocks...The whole baseball world was surprised by that move.  Rios had a "5 tool talent" label, but he had never showed signs that he would lever come close to living up to that contract.  It only takes one sometimes...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : Question: if you put Beckett on waivers, and he is claimed, do you let him go for the $$ relief (a la Alex Rios)?

I think if there was a team out there that would pick up all of Beckett's salary he would already be gone.

A question.... If Beckett is placed on waivers and then claimed, can the Red Sox and that team then negotiate how much of the remaining salary they will pay or is the team that claims him automatically on the hook for his remaining salary.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : whoa......Alex Rios never sunk as low as the likes of Crawford nor did he ever make Beckett $, let alone CC $...........and he could play RF and CF - well......plus had more pop than CC........not a fair comparison........You could look at Wells but that required a Trade (Napoli, AS catcher)......so......not proper comps......
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

When the White Sox claimed him in 09, he was owed 55 million dollars and was batting .265.  It wasnt crawford bad, but it looked like a bad contract.

Agreed NOBODY would claim Craw, but I can see a stupid GM claiming Beckett.  Stinks he got hurt last night.  It would have been awesome if he went 7 IP, 1 ER.  Turn around and put him on waivers IMMEDIATELY.  Maybe a stupid GM would overrate the significance of one start.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : I think if there was a team out there that would pick up all of Beckett's salary he would already be gone. A question.... If Beckett is placed on waivers and then claimed, can the Red Sox and that team then negotiate how much of the remaining salary they will pay or is the team that claims him automatically on the hook for his remaining salary.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Answer to your question: No.  If Beckett is claimed , they take the entire salary or not.  That is why you have to be careful about who you claim.  If the team lets him go, you get him for free (prospect wise) but absorb his salary.

If he clears waivers, then the sox can eat money in a trade.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : When the White Sox claimed him in 09, he was owed 55 million dollars and was batting .265.  It wasnt crawford bad, but it looked like a bad contract. Agreed NOBODY would claim Craw, but I can see a stupid GM claiming Beckett.  Stinks he got hurt last night.  It would have been awesome if he went 7 IP, 1 ER.  Turn around and put him on waivers IMMEDIATELY.  Maybe a stupid GM would overrate the significance of one start.

yeah, CC had an OBP of 289 vs Rios 317

Rios could play a good RF plus CF

CC can barely play LF

Rios is a power hitter, CC is a finese player - Power sustains w/ age, speed does not

Rios earns 12/yr for 55 total

CC is 20/yr w/ over 100 total left

seriously, you shouldn't have even attempted the comparison, you're better than that.......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : White Sox GM Kenny Williams definitely has some brass rocks...The whole baseball world was surprised by that move.  Rios had a "5 tool talent" label, but he had never showed signs that he would lever come close to living up to that contract.  It only takes one sometimes...
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

Exactly my point about Beckett.  We may get lucky.  That must have been like winning the WS for Toronto, haha.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : Exactly my point about Beckett.  We may get lucky.  That must have been like winning the WS for Toronto, haha.

Beckett would be like winning the lotto but Dumping CC would be like winning the POWER BALL

CC is more of a hamper to us than Beckett unless you're citing attitude......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : yeah, CC had an OBP of 289 vs Rios 317 Rios could play a good RF plus CF CC can barely play LF Rios is a power hitter, CC is a finese player - Power sustains w/ age, speed does not Rios earns 12/yr for 55 total CC is 20/yr w/ over 100 total left seriously, you shouldn't have even attempted the comparison, you're better than that.......

The comparison was Beckett to Rios.  I understand that nobody wants Craw at his salary.  Even in the marlins deal we were taking two bad contracts back (and yes, HANRAM is a bad contract)...That being said I was all for the marlins deal because getting rid of crawfords contract is worth absorbing hanleys contract and heath bells.

But beckett had a 3.5 ERA last year.  A NL team may think that he can help them.  Especially if we are savy and put him on waivers immediately after a good start.  Its unlikely, but so was Rios getting claimed. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : The comparison was Beckett to Rios.  I understand that nobody wants Craw at his salary.  Even in the marlins deal we were taking two bad contracts back (and yes, HANRAM is a bad contract)...That being said I was all for the marlins deal because getting rid of crawfords contract is worth absorbing hanleys contract and heath bells. But beckett had a 3.5 ERA last year.  A NL team may think that he can help them.  Especially if we are savy and put him on waivers immediately after a good start.  Its unlikely, but so was Rios getting claimed. 

alright that's better then

but a team who takes beckett and is "3.5" ERA must be aware that when the calendar hits Aug or Sept, he's completely worthless........that's the issue - if he were the 4.00 ERA guy who could still be a big game pitcher he would have been delt to a contender.......He's NOT A BIG GAME PITCHER anymore.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : Beckett would be like winning the lotto but Dumping CC would be like winning the POWER BALL CC is more of a hamper to us than Beckett unless you're citing attitude......

If I said CC , my apologies.  I meant to ask the board: are you willing to part w beckett (for no return) if he is claimed. 

I honestly think that if we were timely a stupid GM may claim Beckett.  It only takes one.

Crawford, we are stuck with :/

Becketts contract is not nearly the albatross crawfords is.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : alright that's better then but a team who takes beckett and is "3.5" ERA must be aware that when the calendar hits Aug or Sept, he's completely worthless........that's the issue - if he were the 4.00 ERA guy who could still be a big game pitcher he would have been delt to a contender.......He's NOT A BIG GAME PITCHER anymore.....

Agreeed.  Big game pitchers are usually even keeled.  DOnt let emotions get the better of them.  Beckett has been letting his emotions get the better of him his whole life. 

But as Jasko said, "it only takes one."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : Answer to your question: No.  If Beckett is claimed , they take the entire salary or not.  That is why you have to be careful about who you claim.  If the team lets him go, you get him for free (prospect wise) but absorb his salary. If he clears waivers, then the sox can eat money in a trade.

Thanks.  That is what I thought.  He would almost certainly clear waivers, so again, it comes down to how much the Sox are willing to eat, which I'm sure is why he is still here after the deadline.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : Thanks.  That is what I thought.  He would almost certainly clear waivers, so again, it comes down to how much the Sox are willing to eat, which I'm sure is why he is still here after the deadline.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

And if he doesnt clear waivers, even better.  Which is why he will be put on waivers at some point.  I was speculating that it may be strategic to put him on waivers after a quality start. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : Agreeed.  Big game pitchers are usually even keeled.  DOnt let emotions get the better of them.  Beckett has been letting his emotions get the better of him his whole life.  But as Jasko said, "it only takes one."

ditto on Jon Tyler "It's my fault" Lester.......

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : And if he doesnt clear waivers, even better.  Which is why he will be put on waivers at some point.  I was speculating that it may be strategic to put him on waivers after a quality start. 

I think there is enough of a body of work that no team is going to be blinded by a single start.  Again, I think if there was a team that would take his salary, or even 75% of his salary, he would be gone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

No one has more in dead salary than we do - guys teams wouldn't take for no players

Beckett
    Lackey
    Crawford
    Jenks

Theo really left us w/ a mess

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox have placed Carl Crawford and Nick Punto on waivers, according to this tweet from Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe:

https://twitter.com/nickcafardo/status/230769157011025921

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]The Red Sox have placed Carl Crawford and Nick Punto on waivers, according to this tweet from Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe : https://twitter.com/nickcafardo/status/230769157011025921
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

hundreds is still a small %

you think Pedey is on waivers?  Ellsbury?  Middlebrooks?  Salty?  Come on.....we just placed our worst 2 players on waivers on Day 1 - you think that was a coincidence?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Send Crawford to Japan for Pokie man and Hello Kitty. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Send Crawford to Japan for Pokie man and Hello Kitty. 
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]

well, the real question w/ CC is at what point do you just release him, pay him, and get nothing VS allowing him to eat a roster spot?  we aren't there yet but man at this rate the time will come......I just hope Big Ben realizes this......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

There is no reason this team should make a move, unless they can deal Bucket. This bunch of out of shape bums are a .500 club team now and will be that way at the end of the year, which can,t come soon enough!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]No one has more in dead salary than we do - guys teams wouldn't take for no players Beckett Lackey Crawford Jenks Theo really left us w/ a mess

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2012-07-04/bobby-jenks-release-boston-red-sox-arrest-dui-back-surgery 

Jenks was already released by the Red Sox. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : Seannyboi, There is no chance guys like Johnson, Garza, Lincecum, Upton, or Castro ever get through waivers.  Cliff Lee is only possibility since is contract is is so backloaded. Bucholz, Ellsbury, Ross & Lester would never pass through either. 
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]

I seriously doubt anyone would claim Lincecum.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Might there be Waiver Deals now that the Trade Deadline has passed? : I seriously doubt anyone would claim Lincecum.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Joe,
    Lincecum is only signed through next year, so he won't affect a team trying to get under the cap when the new rules take place in 2014.  3 of his last 4 starts have been very good.  I would be very surprised if a team didn't take a shot on him if he was put on waivers, even with the big number for next year.