Mighty Mo WIll Announce His Retirement

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Mighty Mo WIll Announce His Retirement

Since 1997, the Yankees did not have to worry about the 9th inning.  But in 2014, they will. 

Rivera, the greatest closer in MB history. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

The Yankees will not replace Mariano in our lifetime.

One of the greatest players of our era.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I saw Mariano a few times at a Dunkin Donuts off North Ave in New Rochelle, NY. 

He is a very cool and humble guy. 

The owner of that Dunkin Donuts owns another 30-plus Dunkin Donuts throughout NY.  Baller.  LOL

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Why in the world would hurl so much venom at Willy Mo Pena?  Horrible trade no doubt.  But Willy Mo was super nice and tried his best, he just wasn't very good.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Well, at least the Red Sox had their day with him.  It's extra special when you beat the best.  

I wish him well, but hope he will be as unnecessary as the Maytag repair man this season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

made my peace with this in 2011, because i was sure he was going to call it, not looking forward to the day..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Best closer ever.  One of the best pitchers ever.   True gentleman and all class.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Best closer ever.  One of the best pitchers ever.   True gentleman and all class.  

hey Shupe, long time no see, how's it going??..hope all is well..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/03/report_rivera_t.html

Good riddance to a thorn in our side.

And let me be the first to congratulate you on your 2018 selection for the Hall of Fame!

Mo Vaughn's retiring?  Thought that happened over a decade ago.

Seriously though, this news broke around 1pm this afternoon and your post says 5:53pm.  Apparentely we here at Boston.com don't care about what happens over at mfyfan.com

Good bye #42(Mo Vaughn, of course).

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

In response to shuperman's comment:

hey Shupe, long time no see, how's it going??..hope all is well..

Hey man, lifes good...hope all is well with you.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

He saw the Yankmees were gonna suck this year and did the right thing. He was the best reliever in the history of baseball... likley not to be matched in the near future.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

Well, at least the Red Sox had their day with him.  It's extra special when you beat the best.  

I wish him well, but hope he will be as unnecessary as the Maytag repair man this season.

Good Point

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I didnt realise he meant after 2013.... if I were him I'd go now. He has it made.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

He may have retired after 2012 if not for the injury.  Didn't want the injury to be his exit.  It has been a bittersweet pleasure to watch him work the 9th. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

It says something when a rival team's fans has respect for a player like is seen here. The only other players that fall in this category are Gehrig, Mantle, and (maybe) Jeter.

On the flip side, NYY fans admired TW, Yaz, Lynn, Piersall, Lonborg, & Tony C, amongst others.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

Jack Curry@JackCurryYES30m

Mariano Rivera's press conf is at 10 AM. We'll carry it live on YES. Join @ 29alltime and I for coverage. Promises to be memorable day.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The best closer in history. Period.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas's comment:

Of all the teams Mo faced the Sox more than the others had some success. I figure some of it was luck and perhaps because they faced him so often.

I hope he has a good final year and your point about the Maytag repair man can be taken two ways. The yanks have plus 3 run leads heading into the 9th. Or trail so badly there isn't a game to be closed. You decide.

I try to avoid the word never but with Mo there probably never be another like him.

If the Yanks new this was coming I have to believe they would have open their wallets for last years closer. Robertson debut as a closer last year was uninspiring to say the least.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

hope this sason will end on the best note possible for Mo(closing out WS)..but a whole lot to do before that can happen...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

I think Mo has closed out his last WS's.

A good season at this point would be  30+ saves.

I became a fan of Mo's when getting the loudest cheer from the Fenway faithful in 2005 (ring day) he tipped his cap and had a grin ear to ear. Clearly a good sport.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

I became a fan of Mo's when getting the loudest cheer from the Fenway faithful in 2005 (ring day) he tipped his cap and had a grin ear to ear. Clearly a good sport.

yepper! he sure is. I was three rows back of the redsox duggout that day and when I tell you that the fenway faithful showed Mighty Moe some love, it would be an understatement. I know that his name will still be talked about a hundred years from now. as far as a complete class act is concerned, I put him in the same catagory as his ex manager Joe Torre.  I hope Mo has a good time this year getting to say good bye at every away park he visits. I also hope he makes the allstar team and gets to take the mound one more time pitching for the american league.

best wishes Mo!

you've had one helluva career.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:

Same here.

I was at the game, and Fenway went absolutely nuts, when Rivera tipped his cap smiled.