Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

I have a feeling the Sox are going to sign this kid.  

They sent eight scouts to Mexico to watch him pitch, and now the Dodgers are reportedly out of the running.  Also, of the teams left linked to him, only the Sox and Rangers are contenders, and the Rangers just traded for Garza.  You would think if he's MLB-ready, he's worth more to a contender than a non-contender right now.

Even if he's not ready to start, he could pitch the remainder of the season out of the bullpen, where we're suddenly quite thin.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

I think he's a distinct possibility! Only because the cost of starting pitching is steep! I also think if they give Contrearas a call up that he definately (Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez) will be signing with the Red Sox as they both are of Cuban descent, and one could be tied to the other as they share the same agent Jaime Torres.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I don't think contenders think thank way with this kid.  He did not pitch a single game in the major and thinking this kid will help securing playoff spot is just too wise.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

From MLBTR:

Red Sox Looking "Pretty Hard" At Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez By Tim Dierkes[July 25, 2013 at 9:20am CST]

The Red Sox are looking "pretty hard" at free agent Cuban righty Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, president and CEO Larry Lucchino said on WEEI's Dennis & Callahan show this morning (Tim Healey has quotes).  "The auctioning can begin," said Lucchino.  Noting that GM Ben Cherington guards the team's prospects "like his first-born child," Lucchino explained, "Reaching into your pocket for your wallet is much easier."  Lucchino confirmed the Sox are searching for rotation and bullpen help.

Gonzalez, 26, is expected to sign soon.  On Monday, MLB.com's Jesse Sanchez said he's down to five teams.  MLB.com's Ken Gurnick reported Tuesday that the Dodgers, who had been heavily linked to Gonzalez, are not pursuing him.  Earlier this week, Ben Badler of Baseball America provided a scouting report on Gonzalez (subscription required and recommended).  Badler noted that "projections vary significantly" on the righty, ranging from a big league ready No. 3 starter on the high end to a long reliever on the low end.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I don't think contenders think thank way with this kid.  He did not pitch a single game in the major and thinking this kid will help securing playoff spot is just too wise.  

That's why we have scouts - if they think he's mlb-ready, he can help at the very least in the bullpen this year.  Look at the recent crop of Cuban defectors - Chapman, Cespedes, Puig.  These guys all had the same question marks surrounding them, and they were all more ready than even the teams that signed them expected.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If they think hes worth 5/40-50M, I guess Im ok with it since I really dont know much at all about him other than his numbers look like those of a 3-4-5 in MLB. But at that price, its still a deal... unless of course he totally kicks the pooch and ends up in long relief ;)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

No way I would advocate spending that much money on this guy...

Darvish was different. He was younger, more established, and had a more polished repertoire. This guy looks no where near as good and should not warrant that type of deal. I watched a video of him (its just a video - I know) and what I saw was a #5 starter at best, long reliever at worst.

His breaking ball was severely mediocre, he had average offspeed stuff, and his fastball was topping out at 92.

No! No! No! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:

No way I would advocate spending that much money on this guy...

Darvish was different. He was younger, more established, and had a more polished repertoire. This guy looks no where near as good and should not warrant that type of deal. I watched a video of him (its just a video - I know) and what I saw was a #5 starter at best, long reliever at worst.

His breaking ball was severely mediocre, he had average offspeed stuff, and his fastball was topping out at 92.

No! No! No! 

If thats true then I hope that they are just trying to drive the price up and not legit buyers. Might just wait and see if his price will come down some.

I didnt see any video. Just stats. And those stats looked pedestrian. like I said 3-4-5 in the rotation depending on the rotation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

But at that price, its still a deal... unless of course he totally kicks the pooch and ends up in long relief ;)

That's the thing that worries me a bit...opening the wallet for a legitimate impact pitcher (as an alternative to giving up prospects for someone like Peavy) is one thing. Blowing $50-60 million on a guy who turns out to be a long reliever would be something else.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I don't know I'm tired of the dodgers and rangers signing all the international guys.

Gonzalez was a guy who was talked about being a #1 starter but from what I hear now he seems like more of a #3.  Which is fine, I'll take that.  It's been said he may need very little time in the minors until he could contribute.  

He can take in a few starts in Portland, and If the rotation looks set give him some work in the bullpen and prep him for a reliever role down the stretch.  If there are issues with Buchholz or another starter then he can slid right into the rotation.

This can be a great way to add some depth without giving up any of our prospects, which we still could move in the right deal.  Given the strength of pitching in our system this could really put us over the top.  I think it was Baseball America that wrote an article the other day saying that Boston has the best pitching depth in the minors.  I would like to see that strengthened.

I understand the argument that we shouldn't overspend and outbid for him.  Of course cost should always be a concern.....but we shouldn't just assume that he will be priced out of our price range and not take a serious look at him.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Please, if you could judge this guy by watching a video or reviewing stats from 3 years ago, the Sox wouldn't have sent eight scouts to watch him pitch.

Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez and his array of stuff that wowed scouts at a showcase this week in Mexico. The 26-year-old Cuban defector's fastball sat at 94-95 mph, topping out at 97, according to one official in attendance. The right-hander also threw a 91-mph cutter and mixed in a curveball, changeup and splitter for good measure, striking out six in three innings against Ensenada in a Liga Del Norte game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degrees-trade-deadline-frenzy-041914872.html

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Please, if you could judge this guy by watching a video or reviewing stats from 3 years ago, the Sox wouldn't have sent eight scouts to watch him pitch.

Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez and his array of stuff that wowed scouts at a showcase this week in Mexico. The 26-year-old Cuban defector's fastball sat at 94-95 mph, topping out at 97, according to one official in attendance. The right-hander also threw a 91-mph cutter and mixed in a curveball, changeup and splitter for good measure, striking out six in three innings against Ensenada in a Liga Del Norte game.

I'll bet you this weeks paycheck that he doesn't throw 97.

All international pitchers come into the league with "experts" saying the same stuff.

Throws 95-96 topping out as high as 98 with a five or six pitch mix. When in reality he throws 91-93 topping out at 94 with a fastball, breaking ball and a third pitch. For goodness sakes, Daisuke had a gyroball amongst his 8 pitch mix.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

With the salary they have shedded I think it's safe for them to gamble on him if the price is right. It helps that the Dodgers are out of the running, as they will outbid anyone. I'm not sure if it's reasonable to expect him to be able to make an impact right now through the post season though since he's never pitched a game in the MLB. It's worth a shot though. Would rather them go with him than give up any significant prosprects at the deadline.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

All international pitchers come into the league with "experts" saying the same stuff.

Throws 95-96 topping out as high as 98 with a five or six pitch mix. When in reality he throws 91-93 topping out at 94 with a fastball, breaking ball and a third pitch. For goodness sakes, Daisuke had a gyroball amongst his 8 pitch mix.

[/QUOTE]

Dice-K was a long time ago.  When was the last time you saw a highly touted mlb-ready international signing disappoint?  

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to edsam44's comment:

JOSE CONTRERAS SAYS HELLO

Dice-K was a long time ago.  When was the last time you saw a highly touted mlb-ready international signing disappoint?  

jose contreras says hello!

Contreras was even longer ago than Dice-K.  Think Puig, Cespedes, Chapman & Darvish.

BTW, Contreras is pitching for Pawtucket now.  Coincidence?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

from the Buffalo News...............

Dice-K takes the mound against the Herd

July 24, 2013 - 5:35 PM

by Amy Moritz
    @amymoritz

Former Boston Red Sox ace Daisuke Matsuzaka will take the mound for the Columbus Clippers when they face the Buffalo Bisons at Coca-Cola Field tonight (7:05 p.m., TWCSC, Radio 1520).

Matsuzaka, who won 15 games with Boston in 2007 and 18 in 2008, signed with Cleveland as a minor league free agent in February. He released from that contract in March and signed to a new deal. He spent all of spring training in Major League camp before being assigned to Columbus.

He made five starts before being placed on the Clippers' disabled list with an oblique strain on April 29, returning to the rotation on June 6.

In 13 starts, Dice-K is 2-5 with a 4.26 ERA and three quality starts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Only if he can pitch a Gyroball.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Diasuke also went 18-3 one year, he could have just peaked early since he pitched at highly competitive level since he was 18.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Look at some of these other international signings - Iwakuma was an all-star, and leads the league in K/BB ratio.  Cespedes is a star in Oakland.  Puig almost single-handedly brought the Dodgers back into contention.  Wei Yen Chen and Tazawa are for real.  Darvish is an ace.  Even the less heralded guys like Norichika Aoki are a steal for what they paid.

Dice-K was disappointing, but we can't let that disappointment prevent us from ever landing a top international free agent again.  A lot of these comments could have been cut and pasted from the "let's go after Yu Darvish" thread two years ago.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In addition to Contreras the Sox have Iggy, the heir apparent to the  SS position, also a native of Cuba.

$10 M for 5 years- wasn't that what Dice K got?

From what little was on a couple of youtube videos I would say Workman was more impressive.

I also kind of like the look of Britton--he needs a little more polish but I think he has more going forward than what I have seen from Thornton. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

In addition to Contreras the Sox have Iggy, the heir apparent to the  SS position, also a native of Cuba.

$10 M for 5 years- wasn't that what Dice K got?

From what little was on a couple of youtube videos I would say Workman was more impressive.

I also kind of like the look of Britton--he needs a little more polish but I think he has more going forward than what I have seen from Thornton. 

Dice-K had a 6/52M deal that escalated from 8M per year 1, to 12M per by year 6.

Im with you Mad...I really like what Ive seen from Britton out of the pen. He shows no fear, attacks hitters, good splits with RH or LHH, and has a very good demeanor on the mound. Id use him before Thornton right now. With middle relievers (5th-8th Inn.), you usually go with the hotter hand the later you get in the game. Britton could be used like Breslow against bother RH and LHH, where Thornton should be a Loogy at this point in his career.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't claim to be a scout, but your inaccurate when saying that all International players are over hyped pertaining the heat they bring,classic example is his fellow Cuban national Aroldys Chapman they said he would top out at 100 they were wrong, his top pitch has been 103. How good this kid really is would depend on a perspective of a scout, no one has seen him pitch more than 3 innings so how does anyone this side of Havana know what his top end is? As for DiceK I saw pitch his first game live in the bigs, and he was touching 96 consistantly, in Kansas City in the freezing cold... thats just a fact!  No supposition needed !! The sox took a chance on three former Cuban national team members the best of the group so far has been Iggy, the other two have languished in the minors barely making the grade J.C. Linares and Ibarra, and yes both of these guys were overhyped! So again apples and oranges..