Mike Aviles is not a SS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Re: Mike Aviles is not a SS

In Response to Re: Mike Aviles is not a SS:
    [QUOTE]Softy: Iglesias can't hit. Did you not get that memo? Are we going to get you filling the board with 50 negative threads every time the Sox lose? Don't we have enough Yankee trolls and their aliases to do that?  First off, be fair to Softy, he doesn't need wins to be snarky. He's consistent win or loss. He's here to grind axes not root for the team. Most folks like him best on the ignore list.  " Can you imagine if the Yankees were doing great what this board would look like with your threads included?" Have seen it many times. See this is the problem with your forum regulating approach. Folks like hanky make it clear that even if you got all Yankee fans out of here we'd still have problems. This forum is a wild mostly unregulated mess, kick back and enjoy.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

When your team loses, and you come to the board to find five or so negative threads started by a Sox fan, it's a little shocking.

I never said I wanted all Yankee fans out of here. I just never saw a team board where the overwhelming presence was a rival team's fans. Also where Yankee trolls have the majority of posts, and are free to beat up on Sox fans. They've already turned another Sox forum into a dual forum, and, I believe, they're doing the same thing here. It's just that this is Boston.com, a place for Boston sports fans. That shouldn't be allowed to happen here. JMO

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]Well now.  Teddy and Hank Williams agreeing on something, which pretty much guarantees Aviles is the right choice at SS. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

This guy is an obvious Yankee alias (probably another Mikey clone). He's always posted like this, which I'm sure you're aware of considering your response. Never really responds to posts, just creates endless negative threads. Just makes it more galling with the name he chose, but I think that was the point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Aviles is not a SS : The original sentence is correct.
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

Only if you believe comma splices and run on sentences are "correct".  

But then again, you might have passed 10th grade english. 

-Daf. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I agree that Aviles is no SS, but he can hit. I would much rather have Iglesias as our everyday SS so for my two cents, I put Aviles in LF and platoon Ross and Sweeney in RF as originally planned, at least until Crawford gets back.

When he does, move Aviles to 3B and put Youk on the block for some pitching help.
    Youk's glory days are over. He's a 33 y/o 1B/3B playing in a 40 y/o body.

One other thing I'd do is to trade Salty or option him to AAA, and bring up Lavarnway. He stinks behind the plate and can't hit anyway.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

My me maw might have got a hit but probably not Iggy

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Not that Softy has ever needed to associate a rehashed bashing with actual performance, but, I am not really clear as to how Mike Aviles' defense was really an issue in the debacle of a series.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Aviles is not a SS : Only if you believe comma splices and run on sentences are "correct".   But then again, you might have passed 10th grade english.  -Daf. 
    Posted by DaffyDan[/QUOTE]
    The words after the comma are not a sentence. In technical terms, that phrase is in the nominative of direct address. Here's a sentence: "Daffy Dan, your ignorance is showing." Comma splice? Sounds like you learned the terminology but not the concepts. That's a dangerous combination.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Mike Aviles is not a SS:
    [QUOTE]Move him to UIF and call up Iglesias. Forget the bean counting. Thank you.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

it's true. what an important early season issue!  I mean the Red Sox would easily be 3 and 0 with Iggy our there the last three games.

This is literally the very least of the things that anyone needs to worry about right now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Move him to UIF and call up Iglesias. Forget the bean counting. Thank you.

Really? Inglesias who is 1 for 10 at Pawtucket. He can't hit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

In a very short time, every poster defending butcher Aviles will deny it. No, he can't hit well enough to offset his butchery. At best, Aviles is a weak hitter. Once the sample size gets large enough to where he manifests his career dumpster profile, it will become obvious to even a Ward of Obama's State.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In a very short time, every poster defending butcher Aviles will deny it. No, he can't hit well enough to offset his butchery. At best, Aviles is a weak hitter. Once the sample size gets large enough to where he manifests his career dumpster profile, it will become obvious to even a Ward of Obama's State.

I know you are just trolling but  Aviles hit 325 in 419 at bats in 2008, 304 in 424 at bats in 2010, 317 in 101 at bats with the Red Sox in 2011 and has a career average of 288.

He isn't a weak hitter.  Everyone knows that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]Aviles is a butcher, even when he gets hits on a day when your gramother would get hits.

Good point.  Unfortunately, Iglesias can't hit as well as "your gramother."  He can't hit anyone or anything.  A brilliant fielder, but right now a liability in an everyday lineup.  Oh, and so far he has as many errors as Aviles.  Most of the objective observers think he has been OK at SS, and certainly his shortcomings did not cost the Sox any games, where as his hitting almost won one. 

In case you haven't noticed, the problem is pitching, not fielding.  Even when Lester pitched a great 7 innings, the bullpen came in and butchered game 2.  They only gave up two runs in two innings because that's all Detroit needed.  If they had needed more, the Sox bullpen would have given up more. 

The other two games were lost by starting pitching, Beckett, and by starting pitching and the bullpen.  Melancon, signed as a closer, gave up 3 runs in the 12th inning to ruin a great Sox rally. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the only people who wanted Iggy sent down were people who were claiming he needed more practice hitting....now those same people are telling us he cant hit....interesting circular logic...my argument was that he is going to have to learn to hit mlb pitching...and since his glove is ready for the bigs, why not move him up?

aviles is not a ss
    he is mike cameron redux

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Mike Aviles is not a SS : Really? Inglesias who is 1 for 10 at Pawtucket. He can't hit.
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Youk is 0 for 8 with 4 Ks. Ross is 1 for what, 11?
    Iggy puts the ball in play, therefore, he can hit. Now, if you said his average is terrible, then you'd have a point. But as it turns out, Ells, Pedey, Youk, Ross, Salty, all have crappy averages right now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it does it make a sound?

It softy (aka Hanky) is rooting for 1/2 of the roster to fail is he actually a Red Sox fan?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

I know you are just trolling but  Aviles hit 325 in 419 at bats in 2008, 304 in 424 at bats in 2010, 317 in 101 at bats with the Red Sox in 2011 and has a career average of 288.

He isn't a weak hitter.  Everyone knows that.

Mike Aviles has a career OBP of .318!!!!!!!!!!!!! He has 26 career homers and he's 31 years old! The guy stinks!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Aviles is not a SS : Youk is 0 for 8 with 4 Ks. Ross is 1 for what, 11? Iggy puts the ball in play, therefore, he can hit. Now, if you said his average is terrible, then you'd have a point. But as it turns out, Ells, Pedey, Youk, Ross, Salty, all have crappy averages right now.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

iggy couldn't hit water if he jumped out of a boat. I could probably strike him out pitching underhand. he just is a horrendous hitter and until he learns to hit AAA pitching let alone MLB pitching he needs... NAY, DESERVES to stay put. Sure Aviles is no iggy in the field but hes got a great bat and plays solid defense.

Two great things /> one spectacular and one pitiful thing. in other words i'll take the better player OVERALL than an auto-out with a good glove..

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Aviles is not a SS : iggy couldn't hit water if he jumped out of a boat. I could probably strike him out pitching underhand. he just is a horrendous hitter and until he learns to hit AAA pitching let alone MLB pitching he needs... NAY, DESERVES to stay put. Sure Aviles is no iggy in the field but hes got a great bat and plays solid defense. Two great things /> one spectacular and one pitiful thing. in other words i'll take the better player OVERALL than an auto-out with a good glove..
    Posted by mef429[/QUOTE]

Your entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Aviles is not a SS : Your entitled to your opinion, even if it's wrong.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

then please explain to me how i'm wrong oh so wise baseball guru.....

how does putting iggy in the lineup over aviles make sense. an auto-out compared to a guy who plays the game of baseball well. not just one small part of it

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Aviles is not a SS :   Now then, I think that there is room for both of them in the lineup......  Meaning, there is opportunity at 3rd, left, and right field, with a rotation based on "whos hot & whos not"........ We can carry Iggy's bat, because his glove is going to carry the pitching staff !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Explain to be how Iggy's glove was going to keep the five home runs in the park in Beckett's game.

Explain to me what plays Iggy would have made yesterday that Aviles didn't that would have meant fewer Tigers runs -- enough fewer runs to also prevent the need for the runs Aviles provided at the plate.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from highflysox. Show highflysox's posts

Nothing WORST to have a SS not being able to hit his weight  .And that includes bating practice .When he shows he can at hit 240 for a month at AAA then maybe bring him up .Untill then he will be a TOTAL waste ofm a roster spot.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Aviles is not a SS :   Now then, I think that there is room for both of them in the lineup......  Meaning, there is opportunity at 3rd, left, and right field, with a rotation based on "whos hot & whos not"........ We can carry Iggy's bat, because his glove is going to carry the pitching staff !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]
    the only way i see him being used in that sense is as a defensive replacement in the 9th to help aceves or melancon. Rf seems to be filled out with the platoon of ross/sweeny and once crawford is healthy LF will be filled too. so that really only leaves 3rd for aviles but that would require Youk to get hurt. and even then punto would probably start over iggy. If the FO felt like his glove would help the pitching staff so much he would be playing would he not? They know better than we do that you can't plug a hole in the defense by leaving a bigger hole in the lineup. Now if aviles goes hitless for the next two weeks i can see them bringing iggy up pending punto doesn't hit either because the bats would be a wash and his glove would be a major upgrade without sacrificing offense. but since that is NOT the case iggy should stay at AAA for another year to learn how to remotely hit the ball

Sections
Shortcuts