Mike Aviles is not a SS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Mike Aviles is not a SS

In Response to Re: Mike Aviles is not a SS:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Aviles is not a SS : Explain to be how Iggy's glove was going to keep the five home runs in the park in Beckett's game. Explain to me what plays Iggy would have made yesterday that Aviles didn't that would have meant fewer Tigers runs -- enough fewer runs to also prevent the need for the runs Aviles provided at the plate.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]Roy1-9a......  Reread my post..... Like i said, iggy would not beable to run back to the fence for the 5 game changers off of beckett'$......  Now then, just iggy's pressence in the lineup for games  1 & 3 would have saved at least 3+ outs per game.  Any seasoned baseball watcher can tell you that !!!   Just ask my boy, Mr. Hank Williams !!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Aviles is not a SS :    Iggy'S glove in Detroit could have had an impact on the 1st & 3rd games.......  Not so much Beckett'$ game because there is no way Iggy would beable to go back to the fence to pull 5 (thats 5  HR's)  of the FAT-CAT'S  best pitches out of the seats !!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

Actually, his bat would have guaranteed the Sox would not have had a chance to win either game because Aviles got some big hits. 

I like Iglesias a lot, but no objective observer thinks his spring training hitting or his hitting last year at Pawtucket showed he is ready for the bigs. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Aviles is not a SS : Roy1-9a......  Reread my post..... Like i said, iggy would not beable to run back to the fence for the 5 game changers off of beckett'$......  Now then, just iggy's pressence in the lineup for games  1 & 3 would have saved at least 3+ outs per game.  Any seasoned baseball watcher can tell you that !!!   Just ask my boy, Mr. Hank Williams !!!

and he would be 3+ outs at the plate so really its a wash......

also name dropping hank is not impressive. he is one of the most idiotic posters on these boards

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Only a total fool, AKA Bill and Hank, would watch the Sunday game and think that Iglesias vs. Aviles was the issue.  How many hits did Aviles have, 3?  With 3 RBI and a nice sacrifice bunt.  He made all the plays in the field as well.

Sunday was about Clay, Aceves and Melancon.  That is it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Aviles is not a SS :   Now then, I think that there is room for both of them in the lineup......  Meaning, there is opportunity at 3rd, left, and right field, with a rotation based on "whos hot & whos not"........ We can carry Iggy's bat, because his glove is going to carry the pitching staff !!!!

There is absolutely no one in the entire baseball universe who believes a shortstop, no matter how great, can carry a pitching staff.  Would he help?  Certainly.  But right now the pitching problems are way to severe to be alleviated by Iglesias. 

Meanwhile Aviles is doing a decent job with his glove and a good job with his bat. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Aviles is not a SS : The words after the comma are not a sentence. In technical terms, that phrase is in the nominative of direct address. Here's a sentence: "Daffy Dan, your ignorance is showing." Comma splice? Sounds like you learned the terminology but not the concepts. That's a dangerous combination.
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

You are correct that it is not a "complete sentence" but it is a "complete concept" that doesn't modify anything in the previous sentence (as the use of a comma implies).  

Therefore, it should be separated. It is perfectly acceptable to separate "incomplete sentences" as sentence fragments when they don't relate to the previous sentence; while at the same time, it is unacceptable to use a comma in that instance. 

The correct example that would apply here would be: Daffy Dan, you idiot, your ignorance is showing.  "You idiot" is not a person's name. It modifies the subject of the sentence "Daffy Dan".  In Master Softlaw's sentence, "It" is the subject. Are you claiming he is calling "It" an idiot? 

That would be truly idiotic, no? 

-Daf. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Iggy update:

Tonight he's 0-for-3, 2 Ks, 5 runners LOB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

aviles is the kind of guy who would pitch in a playoff game if you asked him...you got to admire his confidence and willingness to play anywhere...but that doesnt make him a SS...now 3b might be a real possibility with Iggy anchoring the defense...something to think about

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Aviles is not a SS : You are correct that it is not a "complete sentence" but it is a "complete concept" that doesn't modify anything in the previous sentence (as the use of a comma implies).   Therefore, it should be separated. It is perfectly acceptable to separate "incomplete sentences" as sentence fragments when they don't relate to the previous sentence; while at the same time, it is unacceptable to use a comma in that instance.  The correct example that would apply here would be: Daffy Dan, you idiot, your ignorance is showing.  "You idiot" is not a persons name. It modifies the subject of the sentence "Daffy Dan".  In Master Softlaw's sentence, "It" is the subject. Are you claiming he is calling "It" an idiot?  That would be truly idiotic, no?  -Daf. 
    Posted by DaffyDan[/QUOTE]
    You  are the one who is an idiot. Or at least an ignoramus about syntax.
    In your sentence, "you idiot" does not "modify" "Daffy Dan." It's in apposition to "Daffy Dan."
    "You idiots," in softy's sentence, so placed, does not modify anything in the main clause or constitute a sentence. I told you what it was: nominative of direct address.
    As I said, knowledge of terminology uncoupled from knowledge of how English syntax and punctuation work is a dangerous thing. 
    Sounds as if you're familiar at first hand with comma splices and sentence fragments. Did they bring your grades down?
    I once had a student who wrote two pages in which there no commas and no periods and no capitals. He said he was writing "stream of consciousness," like William Faulkner. I was not convinced. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Sure Aviles is no iggy in the field but hes got a great bat

Aviles, found in a dumpster, does not have a "great bat"! Completely absurd!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

You're right.

Aviles doesn't have a great bat. He has a decent bat, where has Iggy has no bat.

Today in Triple A 0-4 2 Ks and left 6 runners on base. He's batting .071.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Aviles is not a SS : You  are the one who is an idiot. Or at least an ignoramus about syntax. In your sentence, "you idiot" does not "modify" "Daffy Dan." It's in apposition to "Daffy Dan." "You idiots," in softy's sentence, so placed, does not modify anything in the main clause or constitute a sentence. I told you what it was: nominative of direct address. As I said, knowledge of terminology uncoupled from knowledge of how English syntax and punctuation work is a dangerous thing.  Sounds as if you're familiar at first hand with comma splices and sentence fragments. Did they bring your grades down? I once had a student who wrote two pages in which there no commas and no periods and no capitals. He said he was writing "stream of consciousness," like William Faulkner. I was not convinced. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]

I once had a student who wrote two pages in which there [were] no commas and no periods and no capitals. 

How about verbs, expitch? - 10 pts. 

-Daf. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mike Aviles is not a SS : I once had a student who wrote two pages in which there [were] no commas and no periods and no capitals.  How about verbs, expitch? - 10 pts.  -Daf. 
    Posted by DaffyDan[/QUOTE]
    I'll take the -10 for an omission if you finally learned something about how English syntax works. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OhEFFU. Show OhEFFU's posts

[QUOTE] And he's not even doing what he's decent at which is hitting.
    Posted by xXR3S1NXx[/QUOTE]

So this was written 3 games in?  You see that's assinine, right?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

You're right.

Aviles doesn't have a great bat. He has a decent bat, where has Iggy has no bat.

Today in Triple A 0-4 2 Ks and left 6 runners on base. He's batting .071.

Aviles doesn't have "a decent bat"!

Today, Aviles did zilch!

Iggy is a SS, something Aviles will never be. Aviles stinks!